Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

It can't be emphasised enough that attacking from behind, rather than a backstabbing, does a lot of damage, if not an outright kill. Its especially notable with bows - aim for that red vagina thing on the back.

Ya mean the hump

they talk about stabbin' them in the hump: it's what you do when you stealth the regular wanderers: they actually mention this in one of the many, many talks they have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I guess that having everything "post-game" is part of the thing intending to milk everybody for cash, but I think it's a dang shame, because there's way too many games out there for me to do that much if at all.

The fact I don't have PS+ just adds on to it, because I think you can't run even go solo without it??

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, the only thing I learned from this thread was the watchtowers trick, which sounds hilarious. How does it interact with mortars spawning though?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Always online is moronic and I honestly hope someone in the EU puts a stop to it, the same way they are going to handle lootboxes

Though it's a far harder sell than the obvious gambling :/

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really wanna give the bow a fair shake but I just can't give up my poky-stick

Not getting a second back slot is criminal. At least I can carry an assault-rifle alongside my Machete, that I solely use for spiders/breaking boxes?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Bows can shoot an assortment of exploding, burning, freezing, shocking, and piercing poky-sticks.
I just can't imagine abandoning my wife and side-chick, spear and fence

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gods I would have loved a more in depth survival-esque RPG thing about maintaining a balanced diet and not overextending

"Captain. You haven't been bulking up enough to make serious gains. Consider eating even with the Hunger Meter at maximum for better gains"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gods, I hate how assigning people around is such a pain. Why the gently caress not just show you how good they are instead of having you randomly shuffle them around? Why are they all so poo poo? Why don't they improve with time?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kiggles posted:

It's straight up the TPP maps with some objects jiggered around here or there to help disguise it or bar access. The heavy fog goes a long way to hide things.

E: how do I bbcode link to a gifv? Thing is auto parsing into a full embed

gently caress it, here's the reddit link https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/83iq44/an_animated_overlay_of_the_maps_in_mgsvtpp_and/?st=jez7l016&sh=ec73a8c4

Haha, oh wow, I thought I had some left of the map but nope; apparently that teleporty bit is the last

That is a mite sad

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Finally beat the game. Shame they didn't do more with it, though I quite liked the ending twists: they were very Metal Gear, aside from maybe being a bit too sensible.

So after this, it's just base digs and possibly getting PS+ to do the online stuff? I constantly butt against the fact that I can't build enough poo poo in the base, does it ever let me do more? And if I have thousands more than needed, can I just leave it to play itself?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Even with all production buildings, storage facilities and tents i can manage a full ring of electric fencing, and around 30 gatling turrets. Are you getting rid of redundant buildings, like the basic workshops?
Yeah, replaced them ages ago; I think that it counts my lovely, old fences way too much, but it feels way too small honestly and that's after they supposedly boosted it

And you need to have the gunsmith/crapmaker at least so you can refill your molotovs/ammo on these things

Btw: gently caress base dig 2 and it's mortars way the gently caress away. If I hadn't randomly gotten a sniper in a crate I'd have been hosed

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, I wish that you could build more, in different places.

Do what Fallout 4 shoulda done, only better, because hot diggidy heck if this game doesn't blow the pathetic base defenses in that way outta the water

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I keep comparing this game with FO4 and how it does survival so much better as well as partly base building. It's got a way better twist too.

But I'd really wish is that your grunts felt more like, you know, people, and less like things that are universally poo poo at everything you assign them until you slam them full of books or who occasionally wish to be plants.

Like, the "Send suckers to get you garbage" would be cool if you could actually equip them with stuff, if you might sometimes randomly meet them or get them outta trouble for extra resources.

And the base is weirdly irritating. Like, the walkway around the edge is completely useless; you can't place things on it and defending at the very edge is way too expensive on percentages. Why can't I place things on top of towers or buildings? Why can't I have some verticality there at least?

There's so many little things wrong with the base: You can't replace different animals or pick between them, so too bad if you caught a Wild Dog before getting Anubis, all you get is the meat! Management in general is an irritating pain and it's weirdly obtuse too; why not show ranks for your grunts? Why not have them naturally train?

Where the gently caress is the base defense report? How do I send dudes out to explore, like they mention in loading screens?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I can answer a few of those:

Demolish and rebuild a cage to empty it. (note than canids include grey wolves, side-striped jackals, wild dogs, and anubis).
Send people out to explore using the Exploration Team Ready Room, once you have it. This returns a small amount of materials.
Base Defence Reports don't become a thing until the postgame. Once you've done a postgame base dig you can view the report for it at the wormhole digger.
Exploration Team ready Room? Is this seperate from the one for getting trash in way too small quantities one?

And I am already at post game: I just don't know where to view them. Also I thought I could just have the stupid digs trigger and then later get the stuff? Do I have to do the first dig to make it work or what?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Akuma posted:

No, that’s it, but if you send them to locations with red foot icons they uncover that part of the map but the “difficulty” is higher.

but

that doesn't reveal the map AT ALL

it in fact goes up to 15% chance of getting hosed if you haven't explored some tiny loving bit of it (looking at you copper!)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
My big issue with the base defense is that it doesn't let you use your base defense dudes if you're there.

I feel like it's a pretty big oversight that you're always alone even when it's a base full of people

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

How do I get on top of the not-Code-Talker-mansion? Should I have made one of these ramps by now to get up to high stuff? There was that container on top of the building by your Afghanistan base camp too that I never got up to yet.

That was in fact the answer :toot:
I actually used those sandbag things to get on top of things all the time

I feel like they really missed out on not having a crowded city proper, though the last story dig site kinda fit it, but not quite

Fighting zombies on planks between fire escapes, hopping down into a nice and open sewer that's absurdly large, ay yi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Its super dumb they're postgame; they should be like, midgame, just before going to Africa

• Locked thread