Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and one more thing before I get to writing up some of my opinions: I believe that the people on the sub are playing a micro game somewhere else right now. They are voting and making connections and stuff just like here and that's part of the reason why I am irritated at this whole thing.

I think they are doing that because I know that if I was on the sub and told after 24 hours on D1 that I couldn't post or even read the thread for 3 days until the deadline, then I would have just straight up gotten myself modkilled. The only way it works in my mind is if they are playing a game somewhere else.

Now, I don't know if they are would run through full night actions or what, but I definitely think that the people on the sub are voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

I agree but i prefer to see it as pretty funny troll by the mod which is no excuse for not voting now.

I'll get to the voting shortly, but I want to get some thoughts out there first.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, time for the opinions on people and since I've been quite for so long, I'll just do it as an alphabetical list.

Atomic Soda - I am kind of null here because I feel like she is able to pull the wool over my eyes. I don't really think she is a good target for today, but I do think she is someone to be concerned about later.
Birdstrike - He's probably town and pretty much all the votes that hit him were bad.
BottleKnight - I could see him as scum. I'm not entirely sold on his content and some of it does seem a bit fake.
King Burgundy - I'm not sure about KB yet, but he gets easier as the days progress so I don't think I'd vote him right now.
Deadbeat Dad - I've got a slight town lean on him right now. I relate to him preferring to have someone attack him in order to try to figure out their alignment.
Dick Bastardly - He's kind of scummy and could be a good vote. The VT claim doesn't really do anything for me and I feel like the people voting him are more towny than scummy
Hal Incandenza - I'm glad he came around and started making posts or I would likely be voting him right now. I'm still kind of got a scum lean on him but I think it's mostly just residual effects from lurking/catching up.
IllegallySober - The player I'm most worried about on the DB vote right now. His vote on birb was slightly scummy, but I don't feel like his reaction to DB voting him is insincere or OMGUS-y.
LupusAter - He's been very quiet, but he's also pretty new so I'm more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I
Max - This is probably the most town person in the game right now. He did an admirable job trying not to let the thread die shortly after the sub thing.
Mr. F! - I've got a real problem here and for the time being I'm going to ##vote Mr. F. He hasn't been posting anything and his only real content is to do that little gambit (I can't remember what it's called) and then drop his vote on birb before not posting anymore. Also, he didn't even work the gambit evenly and seemed to cherry pick who he pressured over it.
SalTheBard - I've only played with Sal once and he seems like a bit weird/awkward in general, so nothing he's said so far has given me any real pause.
sentimental snail - A slight town lean here. He seems to be engaged and looking for scum in a natural way.
TMMadman - I know I'm town because I read my role PM.

I think a Mr. F is a good vote. It's very possible that he is scum and he isn't really posting anyway. So we might as well kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

If we don't want to do Mr. F, then I would probably want to go BK>DB>IS. There's no real argument to be made for anyone outside of those four people imo.

Also, while I will be around for an hour or two more, I probably will not be around for the actual deadline.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

IllegallySober posted:

You basically agree then with everything I posted with the exception of D) and I'm not seeing how your example of a "more town thing" is fundamentally any different really.

i don't so much agree/not agree with a b and c, but rather i think they are irrelevant to the question of why do you think lunching bird then lunching db if bird is town is a good plan.

part of that statement was me having fun, but i do think there is a difference between these two examples.

a) lets lunch person 1, if they're not scum then lets lunch person 2 for pushing them; vs
b) lets lunch person 2, if they're scum then lets lunch person 2 for defending them.

i would look on the person making statement b much more favourably esp at this stage of the game.

##vote sober

Max posted:

Busy day for me but I’ll be back well before deadline. Finally got tickets to black panther.

i saw it yesterday it was a lot of fun, enjoy!

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
tmm i am flattered by your assessment but be assured that if i was scum i'd eventually just tell you :/

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Atomic Soda posted:

tmm i am flattered by your assessment but be assured that if i was scum i'd eventually just tell you :/

What do you think about Mr. F?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
here's my spicy sticky sentimental take: I think those posts make me slightly more suspicious of tmm

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

TMMadman posted:

SalTheBard - I've only played with Sal once and he seems like a bit weird/awkward in general, so nothing he's said so far has given me any real pause.

Thanks...I guess :P

Max
Nov 30, 2002

sentimental snail posted:

here's my spicy sticky sentimental take: I think those posts make me slightly more suspicious of tmm

Go on

Black Panther was good, also.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

TMMadman posted:

What do you think about Mr. F?

last game i played with him he was scum he posted a shitton day one and vigged somone. i'm not sure what to make of his asking everyone to say they're scum - it could be another gimmick to push his towniness but he seems disheartened that ppl aren't playing along. null atm, wouldn't lunch today but hopefully he starts to post more soon.

whys that you beautiful mollusc

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Atomic Soda posted:

last game i played with him he was scum he posted a shitton day one and vigged somone. i'm not sure what to make of his asking everyone to say they're scum - it could be another gimmick to push his towniness but he seems disheartened that ppl aren't playing along. null atm, wouldn't lunch today but hopefully he starts to post more soon.

Man, sometimes I really have trouble with the whole 'well, let's wait and see if he posts more' attitude. I know that newer people tend to get the benefit of the doubt and that's fine. And I also know the attitude is somewhat unevenly applied because some players are often granded a little more leeway than others, but at a certain point I just feel like you might as well kill off the lurker, especially on a weird D1 like this one.

Mr. F has made 9 posts over the span of 4 days and none of them have really engaged the game. Again, I know it's ironic coming from me given my past couple of days, but it's something that irks me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Atomic Soda posted:

part of that statement was me having fun, but i do think there is a difference between these two examples.

a) lets lunch person 1, if they're not scum then lets lunch person 2 for pushing them; vs
b) lets lunch person 2, if they're scum then lets lunch person 2 for defending them.

i would look on the person making statement b much more favourably esp at this stage of the game.

##vote sober

Thank you for the clarification; I understand what you meant a little better now.

That said; there was almost literally nothing going on in this game at the moment in time DB posted that and I followed up with the agreement and the vote. As I said earlier, if DB was that willing to stick his neck out there for his read, I was willing to vote with him and see how Birdstrike reacted to the pressure and/or how others felt. (As it turned out, it was basically a "gotcha" on me, which obviously wasn't my preferred outcome but at least has stimulated content for the remainder of the day and without it we would be far less informed).

Had that line of thinking taken off and we dunked Birdstrike today and he flipped town, I wouldn't have necessarily locked myself into a DB dunk D2, because we'd theoretically have night actions and possible results to discuss. But I suppose I see your point that your second example would leave far more wiggle room and just by sheer numbers we're far more likely to dunk town than scum D1 anyway.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

TMMadman posted:

Man, sometimes I really have trouble with the whole 'well, let's wait and see if he posts more' attitude. I know that newer people tend to get the benefit of the doubt and that's fine. And I also know the attitude is somewhat unevenly applied because some players are often granded a little more leeway than others, but at a certain point I just feel like you might as well kill off the lurker, especially on a weird D1 like this one.

Mr. F has made 9 posts over the span of 4 days and none of them have really engaged the game. Again, I know it's ironic coming from me given my past couple of days, but it's something that irks me.

i think lunching mr f today would be a mistake and tell us very little, as you point out he's not had a lot of interactions. plus i don't really read them as scum atm.

what are the benefits to lunching mr f that you see. are you that sure he's scum?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I would self-hammer if it guaranteed dickyb got dunked tomorrow

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
you are voting sober birdy

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Atomic Soda posted:

you are voting sober birdy

I know :3:

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
lol

you crazy fowl

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Birdstrike posted:

I would self-hammer if it guaranteed dickyb got dunked tomorrow

if IS flips town, dunk me ( I just pretend I'm a jester when I get vt)

joking aside, this post makes me feel better about birb.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Atomic Soda posted:

i think lunching mr f today would be a mistake and tell us very little, as you point out he's not had a lot of interactions. plus i don't really read them as scum atm.

what are the benefits to lunching mr f that you see. are you that sure he's scum?

I'm not sure he is scum, but I think it's just as possible as any one of BK/IS/DB being scum.

I know he hasn't had any real interactions but if he doesn't post more then that is just going to get worse as the game goes on.

I probably wouldn't be pushing this as a lynch if this was a normal day, but the whole sub thing kind of took the sails out of the game and I'm of the opinion that I'd rather take out someone who isn't posting today over people who are posting.

And if the sub thing didn't happen, then there would probably be a lot more and better content to base a lynch on, so it wouldn't be nearly as good of a lynch option.

The way I see it, today is a perfectly fine day to take out someone who isn't posting because we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow in regards to people leaving the game and basically all the interactions are going to be reset.

Essentially, I'm seeing D2 as a D1 because we will have essentially 'new' people joining the game.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Nah I don't want to do that.

The vote is currently tied though, so lets see what heppens when this happens?

##vote IS

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Nah I don't want to do that.

The vote is currently tied though, so lets see what heppens when this happens?

##vote IS

Uhhhh...the vote wasn't tied?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Uhhhh...the vote wasn't tied?

Or wait, I guess you weren't voting.

I misread your unvote.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lol, I was going to say, it clearly was.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ecco has left their phone charger elsewhere, and will be incommunicado for a bit. They should be back by deadline, but not a moment sooner.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

TMMadman posted:

Oh and one more thing before I get to writing up some of my opinions: I believe that the people on the sub are playing a micro game somewhere else right now. They are voting and making connections and stuff just like here and that's part of the reason why I am irritated at this whole thing.

I think they are doing that because I know that if I was on the sub and told after 24 hours on D1 that I couldn't post or even read the thread for 3 days until the deadline, then I would have just straight up gotten myself modkilled. The only way it works in my mind is if they are playing a game somewhere else.

Now, I don't know if they are would run through full night actions or what, but I definitely think that the people on the sub are voting.

I'd say it's somewhat a tone thing, but this post in particular rubs me the wrong way. I read over it twice and felt a little manipulated afterwards. the speculation is just too specific for me to let go, and I feel like there is actually a whole lot of accuracy here.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Dick Bastardly posted:

If anything I'm town that's posting scummily this game. My birb vote was based on a gut read, so putting all my eggs in that basket with my proposed chain dunk was bad play and I get that. I was frustrated at the lack of any strong reads and had a weak moment of "i give up, and if I'm wrong then gently caress me I should be lunched next".

IS's me-too is suss enough to warrant a vote from me. It's not really very strong, but what do we have that's a strong case at this point anyway? Lets not no-dunk tonight people, we really need to get behind the best scum candidate and go for it.

This post feels genuine to me. I feel better about Dick.

IllegallySober posted:

BK posted something wondering when the sub people were coming back after we'd already been over that at least once which seems to further your argument that they aren't reading the thread:

You going very quickly in the span of a 3 and a half hours going from agreeing with me about my reasoning re: DickB to suddenly softcasing me reads as just trying to save your own skin, not earnestly scumhunting as town should. I feel a lot worse about you after catching up today.

##unvote

##vote IS

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I'd say it's somewhat a tone thing, but this post in particular rubs me the wrong way. I read over it twice and felt a little manipulated afterwards. the speculation is just too specific for me to let go, and I feel like there is actually a whole lot of accuracy here.

Do you really just think that the 7 people who left in the sub are just sitting around doing nothing?

I would be absolutely loving furious if I was on the sub and that was the case because what would be the point?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think it's alignment neutral for TMM, tbh.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

This post feels genuine to me. I feel better about Dick.

I'm actually of the opposite opinion. It honestly all feels a little fake to me.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

I still like my BK catch. Seems like something someone would do that doesn't need to pay attention to the thread but is trying to pretend they are.

I'm fine voting either of IS/DB though. I'll be around to swap.

I always say never trust a self-meta read, so feel free to ignore this, but I get a loooot more stressed out when I play scum vs when I play town because I don’t want to let down my teammates since there’s a lot less of us so there’s a much bigger responsibility for me to play well.

The fact that I’m playing the majority of this game on my phone and I’m not recalling every single post I’ve interacted with is a big “well, duh, I’m a townie this game, I’m just trying to find scum” to me, but if that reads as not paying attention to you and “drive-by posting” to birb, well, I don’t know what to tell you.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

TMMadman posted:

Do you really just think that the 7 people who left in the sub are just sitting around doing nothing?

I would be absolutely loving furious if I was on the sub and that was the case because what would be the point?

no, I don't

Max posted:

I think it's alignment neutral for TMM, tbh.

I somewhat agree which is why it's only a slightly more suspicious

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I'm actually of the opposite opinion. It honestly all feels a little fake to me.

It’s all WIFOM, but the phrase “town that’s posting scummily” is so, like, obviously disproved and bogus that it seems like a phrase only someone who honestly believed that would say. If I were scum, the last thing I would ever want to post is that I’m town posting like scum. The whole post kinda reads like that to me.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

TMMadman posted:

I'm not sure he is scum, but I think it's just as possible as any one of BK/IS/DB being scum.

I know he hasn't had any real interactions but if he doesn't post more then that is just going to get worse as the game goes on.

I probably wouldn't be pushing this as a lynch if this was a normal day, but the whole sub thing kind of took the sails out of the game and I'm of the opinion that I'd rather take out someone who isn't posting today over people who are posting.

And if the sub thing didn't happen, then there would probably be a lot more and better content to base a lynch on, so it wouldn't be nearly as good of a lynch option.

The way I see it, today is a perfectly fine day to take out someone who isn't posting because we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow in regards to people leaving the game and basically all the interactions are going to be reset.

Essentially, I'm seeing D2 as a D1 because we will have essentially 'new' people joining the game.

this feels disingenuous. given the amount of discussion about bk/sober/db, i find it strange that you would vote mr. f over them, given you've said its just as possible they are scum and we've had so much more discussion around them.

TMMadman posted:

you continuing on about it is the suspicious bit here. echo straight up said they'd be playing a minigame and its irrelevant to what we need to do today.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I really don't think the whole DB think was advocating for a chain lynch of himself.

Like to me it felt more like just a something to be said, not desire to get lynched if the lynch he proposed was wrong.

I feel like it's something that can be said by both town or scum.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

BottleKnight posted:

You going very quickly in the span of a 3 and a half hours going from agreeing with me about my reasoning re: DickB to suddenly softcasing me reads as just trying to save your own skin, not earnestly scumhunting as town should. I feel a lot worse about you after catching up today.

##unvote

##vote IS

There's been very little "earnest scumhunting" by anyone this game, but we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm starting to get a little annoyed so I'm going to step away for a bit. Do what you want to do. Obviously I want to stay in the game but if my attempts to defend myself are being read as scummy, fine.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Atomic Soda posted:

you continuing on about it is the suspicious bit here. echo straight up said they'd be playing a minigame and its irrelevant to what we need to do today.

It is absolutely relevant to this game and that is what irritates me. And it absolutely affects how this day has played out, so again it's relevant.

But I'm done talking about it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

It’s all WIFOM, but the phrase “town that’s posting scummily” is so, like, obviously disproved and bogus that it seems like a phrase only someone who honestly believed that would say. If I were scum, the last thing I would ever want to post is that I’m town posting like scum. The whole post kinda reads like that to me.

I've am positive that I've said "I'm just town posting in a scummy manner" while scum before. It's like a standard defense imo.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I’m going to bed now, I have a class early in the morning and can’t stay up for a 1am deadline. Please lunch someone tonight, thanks

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Also, I really don't think the whole DB think was advocating for a chain lynch of himself.

Like to me it felt more like just a something to be said, not desire to get lynched if the lynch he proposed was wrong.

I feel like it's something that can be said by both town or scum.

Yes I agree 100% and I don't see how anyone would construe it as "scummily advocating for a chain lynch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

IllegallySober (6): Birdstrike, Dick Bastardly, -Birdstrike, Birdstrike, LupusAter, Atomic Soda, Max, BottleKnight
Dick Bastardly (4): Max, -Max, sentimental snail, IllegallySober, Deadbeat Dad, SalTheBard
BottleKnight (1): King Burgundy
Birdstrike (1): Mr. F!, Dick Bastardly, IllegallySober, -Dick Bastardly, -IllegallySober
Mr. F! (1): LupusAter, -LupusAter, TMMadman
King Burgundy (0): Birdstrike, -Birdstrike, Birdstrike, -Birdstrike
Deadbeat Dad (0): Birdstrike, -Birdstrike
Atomic Soda (0): Birdstrike, -Birdstrike

Not Voting (1): Hal Incandenza

:h: With 14 players alive, it takes 8 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is March 11th, 2018 at 11 p.m. PDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 55 minutes from this post.

:D

• Locked thread