Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ladies and gentlemen of the mushroom thread, can you please help me identify this clump? It is ~ 18" in diameter. It's been in the backyard for over a week now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

petit choux posted:

Ladies and gentlemen of the mushroom thread, can you please help me identify this clump? It is ~ 18" in diameter. It's been in the backyard for over a week now:

It looks like black staining polypore, Meripilus sumstinei, but a general location and what kinds of trees if any it’s nearby would help.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

the yeti posted:

It looks like black staining polypore, Meripilus sumstinei, but a general location and what kinds of trees if any it’s nearby would help.

Interesting that you should ask that. It grew in the shadow of a Leyland Cypress, one of a row of them. Location: I'm in Salisbury, Maryland.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

petit choux posted:

Interesting that you should ask that. It grew in the shadow of a Leyland Cypress, one of a row of them. Location: I'm in Salisbury, Maryland.

I stand by my ID then but it is unusual to find that species by a conifer. Do you know if those were planted where another tree once stood, maybe to replace an older one that fell?

In any case if you want to be a mushroom detective you could try two things: first, take a spore print by cutting off a piece towards the outside and placing it right side up on a piece of white paper and covering it with a bowl overnight; if it drops any spores on the paper the color there is an ID data point.

Second, this species should stain black on the underside within 5 or 10 minutes if you bruise or scratch it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Who wants a mushroom related sixer?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Oh hell yes I’m getting that sixer. Hopefully tomorrow Kitsap County will yield the first chants of my hunting year.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Taxonomy is a losing game.
(Gilled bolete, Phylloporus rhodoxanthous)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

the yeti posted:

I stand by my ID then but it is unusual to find that species by a conifer. Do you know if those were planted where another tree once stood, maybe to replace an older one that fell?

In any case if you want to be a mushroom detective you could try two things: first, take a spore print by cutting off a piece towards the outside and placing it right side up on a piece of white paper and covering it with a bowl overnight; if it drops any spores on the paper the color there is an ID data point.

Second, this species should stain black on the underside within 5 or 10 minutes if you bruise or scratch it.

I did not expect this fungus to last so long. Anyway, I went out to do that just now and there are 3 more growing under nearby cypresses as well. They look a little different, more bulbous and more colorful.

Top is the slice from the piece we have discussed, and bottom is from one of the new ones. You can see some difference. And the top one is not showing any discoloration after bruising for a few minutes. Maybe it's old?

Are these healthy to have around my cypresses?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Kinda looks like Phaeolus schweinitzii, not great news for the trees but also not much you can do about it. Removing the fruiting bodies wont do a thing about the mycelium messing with the tree.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Kinda looks like Phaeolus schweinitzii, not great news for the trees but also not much you can do about it

Agreed and unfortunately yeah they aren’t good for trees. (To be clear this is another species from your first photo)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:laugh:

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
Saw this proud little one in upstate NY near Lampson Falls

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

HOLY TOLEDO HUMONGOUS FUNGUS

I should have placed something next to them for size comparison, they have gotten really big (at least 20" across.) Now if they are damaging my cypresses, is there anything I can or should do about them? I lost two cypresses already in that row and am unclear as to why. But that was the other end of the row and I have no idea if fungi were involved. Any suggestions?

Check out these bad boys.

And should I eat these?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Black staining polypore?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Seriously look up black staining polypore, if that’s what it is you’re in for a treat. Very edible and makes amazing mushroom broth for soups.

The bad news is that if you have robust polypores growing outta your trees and their roots, your trees are hosed. Definitely contact an arborist, sooner rather than later.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Donk-rear end mushrooms

and yet it only looks slightly more rude than your average shaggy stalked bolete

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

elise the great posted:

Seriously look up black staining polypore, if that’s what it is you’re in for a treat. Very edible and makes amazing mushroom broth for soups.

The bad news is that if you have robust polypores growing outta your trees and their roots, your trees are hosed. Definitely contact an arborist, sooner rather than later.

Oh, I'm seriously lookin'. Every web site I've been to has said that my cypresses are most likely goners, I dunno. I may try to eat them though.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Spotted some bright orange fungus ny our trees that I've never seen before. First two pics were taken three days ago.

This was this morning.

They got a bit raggedy.

Any idea what these are? Southeast Massachusetts fwiw.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Those look like jack o lanterns! Poisonous, but very photogenic as you can see. Also they glow in the dark sometimes

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Mt Hood represent

Albatrellus

Hello my little rainbow chanterelles.

Went with a friend who found some other dye mushrooms (forgot to take pics) but saw some coral shrooms, conchs, and a slime mold (dog puke? Moon poop? Bad name).

Saw a few russula and a bolete stem. It was so hot & dry in this area last year I’m happy to see this growth!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hooplah posted:

Those look like jack o lanterns! Poisonous, but very photogenic as you can see. Also they glow in the dark sometimes

Yup, thems jacks

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Ah drat I missed the only cool sixer. Found an odd bolete at the local mycological society foray. Probably unnamed, everyone was very pumped. :3:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Anyone care to weigh in on these? they have all the hallmarks of shaggy ink caps (deliquescence, sprouting singly from earth, some rather tall) but they're not as "shaggy" as the typical specimens. I would have no idea what else they'd be, as they don't really look like common ink caps.

i also found some suillus weaverae/granulatus, but don't have any pics... i will be at least tasting one of those

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Definitely look like Coprinus comatus to me. Cook em up before they turn to goo!

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Porcini time bitches

:c00l:

Also found a wee bit of chicken of the woods and a non-buggy violet chanterelle.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Crocobile posted:

Porcini time bitches

Also found a wee bit of chicken of the woods and a non-buggy violet chanterelle.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

one good looking king, very nice

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Crocobile posted:

Porcini time bitches

Goddamn that’s a nice looking one.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Nothing as impressive as that, but the boletes are popping up in the back of our property.

Found a handful of these.

There are a bunch of these out there, Suillus acidus, I believe.

nadmonk fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 27, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

nadmonk posted:

Nothing as impressive as that, but the boletes are popping up in the back of our property.

Found a handful of these.

There are a bunch of these out there, Suillus acidus, I believe.

You love to see it. That top one looks like a birch bolete, bottom is definitely some kind of Suillus.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

the yeti posted:

You love to see it. That top one looks like a birch bolete, bottom is definitely some kind of Suillus.

That was my thought for the top one. I'll probably go and harvest some of the Suillus today. There were better looking ones out there, but I didn't want to take the pretty ones for an ID :)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The top one likely the artist formerly known as brown birch bolete / Leccinum scabrum, now renamed "scaber stalks / scabrous stalks" in most of europe, yeah. You can tell it's not aspen scaber stalk instead because the scabs on the stalk are black and not white :eng101:

(e: and checking a nearby host species would remove all doubt, birches for the first and aspens for the second)

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Tias posted:

The top one likely the artist formerly known as brown birch bolete / Leccinum scabrum, now renamed "scaber stalks / scabrous stalks" in most of europe, yeah. You can tell it's not aspen scaber stalk instead because the scabs on the stalk are black and not white :eng101:

(e: and checking a nearby host species would remove all doubt, birches for the first and aspens for the second)

Thanks for the info on that. Funnily, the closest birch trees are probably 50+ m away. These were on a hill with a poplar (aspen) stand on it. A few other hardwood, mostly sugar maple with a few younger oak trees, but aside from the poplars, mostly pine trees.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Saturday we spotted a whole group of these growing in a large, partial circle. This was in a red pine stand in northern Michigan. The largest/oldest we saw were probably close to 10-12 inches across. Those were a kind of mangled as they popped up under a pile of branches.
My hunch was Entoloma abortivum aka aborted entoloma aka shrimp of the woods, but was hoping someone might verify.
Flat capped, white, very pleasant and mushroomy smell, white flesh, cap, and gills. Some of them were that very irregular 'brainy' looking shape.

The indoor pics are the same mushroom, they just show the color better.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Went to my daughter's soccer game this weekend and found this turbo score:

Afterwards I went to a state forest and turned up more tasties:

I cooked the chicken with white wine, garlic and shallots, seasoned with salt, pepper and thyme and added sour cream and half and half. Then simmered it down and served it over home fries. It was delicious.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nice! Are those blewits or laccaria so.?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

nadmonk posted:

Saturday we spotted a whole group of these growing in a large, partial circle. This was in a red pine stand in northern Michigan. The largest/oldest we saw were probably close to 10-12 inches across. Those were a kind of mangled as they popped up under a pile of branches.
My hunch was Entoloma abortivum aka aborted entoloma aka shrimp of the woods, but was hoping someone might verify.
Flat capped, white, very pleasant and mushroomy smell, white flesh, cap, and gills. Some of them were that very irregular 'brainy' looking shape.

I’m honestly not sure. I tend to find E. abortivum in thick patches on or near fallen oak but it might have other habitats it likes.

I’d suggest a spore print as a data point if you still have those individuals.

Edit-

Recent an example to compare with, physically your guy looks pretty different but the spore print might help confirm.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

nadmonk posted:

I think you have either a giant clitocybe or a robusta. The smell makes me think it's the giant, robustas smell bad. I found a few myself yesterday.

the yeti posted:

Nice! Are those blewits or laccaria so.?

Yeah they are blewits. They have the textbook coloration and frozen orange juice smell.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The French Army posted:

I think you have either a giant clitocybe or a robusta. The smell makes me think it's the giant, robustas smell bad. I found a few myself yesterday.

The gills don't see to run down quite far enough to be the giant clitocybe. I was thinking potentially also milk-white brittlecap. I'm getting a spore print now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The French Army posted:

Yeah they are blewits. They have the textbook coloration and frozen orange juice smell.

Cool, I only ever find them one or two at a time but that’s a nice little stash!