Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the rent is too high and also people live in rural areas and not rural areas

maybe, idk, talk about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
*smashes beer bottle against wall* GENTRIFICATION SUCKS

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i blame trump, op

and by trump i mean all boomers

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I live in my states capital that is considered rural.

Rent here sucks, so i bought a house. Now im moving, and selling a house sucks even more.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

we're all going to get rich selling our overvalued houses to each other because that's how you do an economy, hth

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
In order to save Rural America --

-- we need to kill 5.95 billion people.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
why is australia so high

is it because 95% of the country is a desert, so it's like one gigantic california and/or nevada

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i did not expect korea to be higher than germany or the uk actually

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maybe you should consider buying???

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

why is australia so high

is it because 95% of the country is a desert, so it's like one gigantic california and/or nevada
Basically all the power plants are coal fired, and you need a car to get anywhere, and anywhere in Australia is always really far apart

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

rudatron posted:

Basically all the power plants are coal fired, and you need a car to get anywhere, and anywhere in Australia is always really far apart

Plus the cost of spider-proofing the houses, the chemicals to kill them, the firearms and flamethrowers for their nests, the body armor... it adds up!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nevar 4get the emu war

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just do things to lower the property value.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I almost continued this line of thought in the other thread, but realized that I'm biased towards city living because I'm from a city and honestly don't understand the subject of urban vs. rural to really back up my beliefs

please crush me with a house immediately

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think your problem is you think rural areas are like the suburbs

Its the ghettos but for mostly whites & theres no such thing as a bus but the rent costs almost the same and the cops still beat the poo poo out of people for seemingly no reason

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Accretionist posted:

In order to save Rural America --

-- we need to kill 5.95 billion people.

you can tell how scientific this is based on the little pictures of earth

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
And So Am I

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i also think its funny you assume rural america is the problem for some reason, when its actually suburbs, which is a much larger share of the population and per capita the least efficient

quote:

cities have the lowest annual energy use per household (85.3 million Btu) and household member (33.7 million Btu) of all four categories. Rural areas consume about 95 million Btu per household each year, followed by towns (102 million) and suburbs (109 million).

and receive less funding from the government

quote:

Per capita federal spending in metro counties has been higher than spending in rural counties for five out of the last seven years, according to the ERS, a division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

In 2009, federal spending in rural counties was $285 less per person than in metro counties. In 2010, that gap more than doubled, to $683 per person.

In 2010, the federal government spent $10,976 per person in metro (or urban) counties and $10,293 per person in nonmetro (or rural) counties.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i also think its funny you assume rural america is the problem for some reason, when its actually suburbs, which is a much larger share of the population and per capita the least efficient

Its literally an extension of the neoliberal view of non-WASP society. Anyone who isn't an urban professional is a violent gangbanger, a border jumping wetback, a toothless hillbilly, or an insane evangelical and we really need to just come together and provide a code academy so these dumbass wig- i mean miners join society already

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im driving myself into a frothing rage tonight over The Terrible Liberal Agenda but I am NOT sorry.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I think your problem is you think rural areas are like the suburbs

Its the ghettos but for mostly whites & theres no such thing as a bus but the rent costs almost the same and the cops still beat the poo poo out of people for seemingly no reason

like a thing extending from the Civil War deal with yeoman farmers and former indentured servants? ie. kick it out to land you can afford with what you had saved at the time and the times catch up and you're hosed forever, no matter the year or the circumstances

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
and guess where the absolute worst republicans live? its all suburbs, white flight from places like detroit went to suburbia

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
part of it is I think i kind of white guilt complex from urban professionals, but then they compartmentalize whiteness to be the exclusive domain of Those Rural Whites, and not people like you, i.e. other san fran hipsters

its how you have the stereotypical 'carl the cuck' figure say 'kill all white people', even if they're white - they're not talking about themselves, or people they know, but that Great Other that lives beyond the commute distance form a starbucks

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
but to reiterate what I said the the doomsday thread - the rural -> urban migration is an inevitable one as. In the pre ww2 era, almost everything is made locally, because transporting products globally was absurd, any everything is simple enough that you can get away with it. that's obviously not the case now. but factories benefit from a supply chain that's as short as possible. so you build a bunch of factories right next to each other. that means you need cities to service them.

cities are just cheaper, and that's the long and short of it.

but of course no one cares about anyone else anymore, so anyone not in cities are now trash.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
cities are cheaper except for the rents and a bunch of other expenses like parking lol

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i mean cheaper in the abstract, society wide sense, ignoring subsidies - right now, its' the suburbs that are usually cheapest (when comparing places where there are jobs), because they're heavily subsidized, and city housing demand is keep artificially limited through nimby stuff, so the housing prices are super high in cities (plus they're treated as investment vehicles by rich people, including rich foreigners). in terms of resources consumption per standard of living, cities usually win out.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
turns out that they're loving us with the mattresses

turns out a mattress is just a stack of stuff inside a rectangular bag

*wipes forehead with barn handkerchief* *voice raises shrill*

TURNS OUT some parts of that mattress fall appart in five years

turns OUT the REST of that poo poo lasts for loving EVER

turns OUT if you weren't getting fuckin JOBBED you'd be sleepin ON ONE SET OF COIL SPRINGS CRADLE TO GRAVE.

TURNS OUT THEY BEEN FUCKIN US WITH THE MATTRESSES

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd kill myself before I lived in American suburbs

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHEitsYJnmw

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
does anyone want to read some stories about my years in eviction courts

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

National rent control now

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mastershakeman posted:

does anyone want to read some stories about my years in eviction courts

:justpost:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

I'd kill myself before I lived in American suburbs

For real they're horrible. Its like your terrible job where every day blends into another made manifest in the physical. I get so loving lost in the average 2 alternating design suburb.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

there are two empty investor-owned homes for every homeless person in america

quote:

2016 figures from ATTOM Data Solutions — which publishes comprehensive housing data — show that wealthy investors are buying up more and more real estate as a moneymaking venture while housing prices and homelessness continue to skyrocket across America.

According to ATTOM, 76 percent of all vacant homes in America are owned by investors — amounting to approximately 1.1 million vacant residential investment properties. Many of these vacant homes are in economically distressed Rust Belt cities with high poverty rates, like Detroit, Michigan, neighboring Flint, and Youngstown, Ohio. The states with the highest investment property vacancy rate also have high poverty rates. Michigan leads the pack with 10.3 percent vacancy, Indiana at 9.8 percent, Alabama at 6.9 percent, and Mississippi at 6.6 percent.

Meanwhile, in December of 2017, the Associated Press reported that homelessness increased in America for the first time since 2010 — the height of the Great Recession. 2017 data from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development showed that local counts of homeless Americans reached approximately 554,000 nationwide, which is a 1 percent increase from 2016 (and roughly half of the number of vacant residential investment properties in America today). Approximately one-third of those counted as homeless had no access to nightly shelters and were sleeping on streets, and in vehicles and tents.

normal economy

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Decommodify housing, imo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fun fact if you just break back into a house after getting evicted from an investor owned home there's pretty much nothing they can do to you

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I'm mocking you because your small town fetish is causing you to hallucinate

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The suburbs need to be destroyed by fire.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Suburbs are horseshit.

My angles are:
  1. Relocation Assistance for people in failed towns should exist.
    1. Many will move to other rural areas, you whiners.
    2. Wholly subsidizing failed towns is on par with, "just implement full UBI," whereas right now I've got extended family living the socio-economic equivalent of Colonel Kurtz's dream and it's pretty hosed up.
  2. In response to climate change, this should run in tandem with urbanization programs (which should also exist).
    1. Don't forget that non-coastal urban areas exist, you whiners.
    2. I expect that neither contemporary urban nor rural culture (writ large) will survive. What will we do instead? It looks like 'poo poo hits the fan' starting around 2050. Seriously, what will we do instead?
    3. I expect that efficiency will dictate how many people retain access to clean water, antibiotics, etc. We'll probably start pricing in externalities so a lot of what we take for granted will become unaffordable except to wealthy hobbyists.

In a perfect world, we'd be starting MegaCity programs right now. Maybe around some of these areas:

And maybe with an eye toward soaking up climate migrants from around the world?

A few gigantic cities with density on par with Paris or NYC would do wonders in any of the more dire scenarios:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the cool thing about cities is that most of the big ones will be waterlogged sepulchers in a matter of years

• Locked thread