Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The deviation will be Akechi cutting the act and revealing that he's Light Yagami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

gmq posted:

Most of the game's weird problems can be explained by that.

Like why Joker only sometimes wears glasses.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Elfface posted:

Like why Joker only sometimes wears glasses.

His glasses are a persona he adopts while on probation at school. That's why he doesn't wear them in the flashback scene, in palaces or in the ending.

EDIT: Actually i think you're right since they keep making up reasons for him to take them off like in the fireworks festival.

CJ fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 13, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Does anyone know if there are plans to dub this? I'm okay with subs, although I'm so accustomed to the dub that several voices just feel off, but a friend really would prefer to watch it dubbed, partly because of the same reasons, partly because he's a dub watcher in general. Were the previous anime dubbed?

This is from a couple of days ago, but no one knows. Aniplex got the rights to publish this anime and they did not dub either of the Persona stuff they had the rights to (P3 movies and P4: The Golden Animation). Persona 4: The Animation was licensed by Sentai, who did do a dub. We would probably find out at the end of this year or early next year at the earliest if Aniplex is planning to do a dub. Kind of wish the rights went to Funimation or Sentai, honestly, since I am also more accustomed to the dub from the game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if they decide to include her, who's gonna end up voicing Chihaya. :ohdear:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The second episode felt as rushed as the first but it did give us more context about what's going on. I think these two episodes would have worked much better as a two-parter or an hour-long episode. I hope that once we get the next team member it'll slow down a bit.

EDIT: game light spoilers: I think Haru is going to appear earlier than in the game, she appears in the OP before Futaba.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 14, 2018

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I like the deviations from the game so far, and maybe they’ll address some of the issues I have with the source material.

Some of those action shots, though, looked pretty rough. Direction has been on-point, so it’s not too big a deal.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/noreigret/status/985208432587227137

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This was rushed to the point of being awkward, randomly jumping between "we're being followed" and Ryuji's awakening did not work well and the latter failed at giving any emotional response, to me at least, partly due to the rush and partly due to the same problem I had with Ren last episode: their faces were drawn too normally while in the game they look positively insane.

That said, I really liked some animation moments, like the game-accurate All-Out Attack and the ending starting with a Level Up screen. Those were neat.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I imagine once we get the premise of the whole Metaverse/Phantom Thieves stuff down things will slow down

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Yeah this is just speeding through the first palace so the starting party is assembled and the phantom thieves are "officially" formed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still feels kind of rushed but overall pretty decent. Out of curiosity, what's the deal with entries in the Persona series having theme songs that are entirely in English? The only exceptions I can think of are Trinity Soul and the Golden Animation. Not complaining as most of them are pretty good but it just seems weird considering how inherently Japanese everything else about the series feels.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Still feels kind of rushed but overall pretty decent. Out of curiosity, what's the deal with entries in the Persona series having theme songs that are entirely in English? The only exceptions I can think of are Trinity Soul and the Golden Animation. Not complaining as most of them are pretty good but it just seems weird considering how inherently Japanese everything else about the series feels.

Rolling motherfucking Stone interviewing Persona 5 Staff right here, buddy posted:

Regarding the use of English lyrics in many of the Persona games, Meguro stated that due to the Japanese people not fully understanding the language, it helped create music that was not as distracting to them as Japanese would be.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Link is broken. Shame, I really would like to read that article...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TwoPair posted:

The deviation will be Akechi cutting the act and revealing that he's Light Yagami.

Maybe then he wouldn’t be so boring.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Link is broken. Shame, I really would like to read that article...

It has an " at the end that breaks it, here's the working one

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Demicol posted:

It has an " at the end that breaks it, here's the working one

Thanks. It was a good read.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That AOA was not as cool as the in-game one :( where's my screen shatter?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's so you don't have to buy a new phone / monitor after every All Out Attack that takes place in the show.

Why would you even want an anime to shatter your screen.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Wark Say posted:

quote:

Regarding the use of English lyrics in many of the Persona games, Meguro stated that due to the Japanese people not fully understanding the language, it helped create music that was not as distracting to them as Japanese would be.

In that case it was pretty considerate of them to make the songs largely unintelligible to english-speaking players too

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gotta burn that bread.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hate-Senpai posted:

Gotta burn that bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjV13aPYNhg

:black101:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

In that case it was pretty considerate of them to make the songs largely unintelligible to english-speaking players too
[/quote]

I'm still not convinced this is English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQBbnP_uutA

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
They don't typically follow perfect grammar, but they're pretty easily identifiable as words since you hear them so much.

Even Signs of Love has a conversation play out in it with the singer designating who's talking

e: like the lyrics in this song make it whip rear end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_cp4g7YGic Lotus Juice and Shihoko Hirata rule imo. Lyn Inaizumi too

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 18, 2018

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
After listening to the OP of Gatchaman Crowds no anime song in English can phase me even slightly.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

They don't typically follow perfect grammar, but they're pretty easily identifiable as words since you hear them so much.

Even Signs of Love has a conversation play out in it with the singer designating who's talking

e: like the lyrics in this song make it whip rear end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_cp4g7YGic Lotus Juice and Shihoko Hirata rule imo. Lyn Inaizumi too

I think the P5 songs are more recognizably English, though certain songs in P4 are easyish to decipher, especially when you hear them repeatedly and they worm their way into your memory. Shoji Meguro and the singers do a very good job.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So hyped for May and the release of the Dancing games so I can listen to the sweet sweet remixes of the hell yeah OSTs.

God.

So good.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Has there been any word on US releases for those, by the way? I keep looking but can't find anything but I'm hoping I just missed something.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Viridiant posted:

Has there been any word on US releases for those, by the way? I keep looking but can't find anything but I'm hoping I just missed something.

Probably Winter 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Viridiant posted:

Almost literally every persona product is localized at this point so I can only assume it will be.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Angry Grimace posted:

Almost literally every persona product is localized at this point so I can only assume it will be.

Sorry, I should have specified. Dehry got it, I assumed it was coming over here I just wanted to know when.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're really pushing Akechi aren't they? It also sucks they don't show the calling cards being discussed.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
When they have maybe three cours at best for the entire game, they have to start pushing elements fast. I should check if it's available globally now then.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GuyUpNorth posted:

When they have maybe three cours at best for the entire game, they have to start pushing elements fast. I should check if it's available globally now then.

I’m pretty sure they already announced the Blu-Ray listing and it’s only going to be a 2 cour show with 24 episodes.

So while it’s not super short, they will definitely not be able to take their time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I like what they're doing with the story so far, but those fight scenes are not good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/p5cezaria/status/987732160521027584

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I watched P4A after watching a playthrough of the game so I was aware of what was being cut and adapted and added and thought it managed, and while I haven't seen any playthrough of P5 the "this is skipped gameplay" parts seem way more alarmingly glaring.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Isn't this show only going to be about 24 episodes or so (which isn't much shorter than P4A to be honest)? That could explain why they're rushing through certain things.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Sure, but in P4A they're walking straight to the boss and in P5 the heist and break-in aspect is a thing so they feel a need to depict it, hence the platforming section and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They haven't skipped anything as far as I can recall. Palaces (before the heist goes down) are like 95% random battles and puzzles, save for maybe a few scenes (like the one where Ann awakens her persona this last episode).

The heist is its own thing and is where the story stuff happens.

It feels like its skipping stuff because 90% of the palace's gameplay is doing the "recon" (aka going through the dungeons levels in order to reach the "heist", that is to say, the boss)

The quick platforming sections are adequate to represent the gameplay imo, no one wants to see the puzzle of the three books in anime form

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 22, 2018