Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

It is kind of a shame we seem to be missing out on Kamoshidas weird Shiho room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

UnderFreddy posted:

It is kind of a shame we seem to be missing out on Kamoshidas weird Shiho room

I think that is trumped by actually showing him beat the poo poo out of her in the equipment room. I only remember that poo poo being referenced in the game. Not outright shown.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
At this point in the game, the Shiho room hasn't been seen and the calling cards haven't been discussed. That's not to say they will be, but it's too early to say they're being skipped.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

Viridiant posted:

At this point in the game, the Shiho room hasn't been seen and the calling cards haven't been discussed. That's not to say they will be, but it's too early to say they're being skipped.

I don't think they'll skip the calling card segment since that's a really important plot point, but I did think it was weird that they already showed Kamoshida's calling card plastered at school right at the end.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Didn't they do something like that in the game as well? I thought it first appeared in a cutscene or a flashback

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It may have appeared in Framing Device Sae, others certainly do.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The post credits scene has the calling cards distributed around the school. They skipped it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's obviously a tease.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling we're just supposed to be watching after having played the game.

E: What just happened in the episode preview?

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 28, 2018

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Time skip using the lead in to Sayuri as an excuse to give Goro more screen time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is the first episode that I genuinely enjoyed. The previous three felt rushed, but this one actually used the anime format to its advantage, loosely adapting stuff from the game to fit it rather than trying to compress as much as it could, switching and fusing scenes and in-game mechanics to work in a 30-minute, animated, non-gameplay format. And it worked really well! Moving the "Joker" naming to the end, showing crafting but in ways that it wasn't really used in the games, even Persona Fusion in a moment that works dramatically even if it fails to respect the gameplay - as an adaptation should (also that was my first fusion too so I felt happy seeing it).

Even the weirdly out of place flashforward later is good, showing the anime is willing to depart from the games to improve itself rather than following rigidly but not compensating for the lack of gameplay.

Hopefully further episodes will keep this level of quality, because it can be a genuinely good adaptation like this instead of an acceptable but not great one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I laughed out loud at the explanation of why Morgana can turn into a bus.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I hope the remake will consider adding as many extra akechi scenes as the anime here.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I know Pankechi is really popular in Japan but holy gently caress, you don't have to put him in every scene. That beginning scene was absolutely pointless.

I have no idea why Yusuke's scene was post credits, you'd think that would be more important but no, "lets make Akechi go drink coffee instead". I was secretly hoping Ren would tell him to gently caress off like in the game.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It est Akechi's food blog and his popularity.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Steal your wall textures.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

PhantomPayne posted:

I know Pankechi is really popular in Japan but holy gently caress, you don't have to put him in every scene. That beginning scene was absolutely pointless.

I have no idea why Yusuke's scene was post credits, you'd think that would be more important but no, "lets make Akechi go drink coffee instead". I was secretly hoping Ren would tell him to gently caress off like in the game.

The post-credits things are good stingers, I thought it worked as a better cliffhanger than people chilling at LeBlanc.

I should say, "cliffhanger", because how many people watching this haven't played the game?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i thought this might be a good substitute for like, the story or characters of the game but mostly it's just badly paced and held back by atlus forcing the director to include x game mechanics/nods per episode on the tightest schedule ever. apparently i made the wrong choice

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I like how they adapted Nakanohara's request in this episode. I'm going through the SSLP and Arist pointed out how stupid it was that there was at least one guy who saw the Phantom Thieves's faces. Having it be a faceless meeting on the street corner, with Ann and Ryuji posing as bystanders, patches that plot hole in a way that fits the overall Thief aesthetic.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
OP Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otBAk8GeSC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJMwb-Np9D4

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I just saw ep 9 and 10 and was pleasantly surprised with the maid watch episode, it had less fanservice than expected but it really made sense how both Ryuji's and the teachers social link grew.

I thought it was pretty funny how she got to do the laundry at the end after being so suggestive. Renren is a good boy.

Ep 10 wasn't bad, but I would have preferred it to end with Makoto being kidnapped.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well, there's an animation error I don't think I've seen before.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mordja posted:

Well, there's an animation error I don't think I've seen before.

Not sure if I noticed, what was the error?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Whoops, forgot to actually post the image.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mordja posted:

Whoops, forgot to actually post the image.

I can't believe the Phantom Thieves stole the lower half of his body.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This is probably the weakest anime of the season that I am nonetheless still watching. Not bad, just not something I'm excited about.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's starting to pick up at least now that the full team (I think, haven't actually played the game myself) is assembled. How many episodes is this supposed to be in total again?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
We've got 2 more before the team is complete, one of them essential and about to be properly introduced and the other that felt tacked on in the game and will probably feel tacked on in the anime.

But yeah there's not necessarily a decrease in quality here, it's more than the novelty of an adaptation of a game I loved is fading and I'm starting to assess the anime on its own merits.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It's adequate.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Did they add in any Very Hype heist scenes or is it just like the game where they tease a little heist sequence in Madarames palace and never do it again

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just 7 episodes left now it would seem. As I said I am basically experiencing Persona 5 for the first time via the anime but exactly how heavily are they going to need to abridge the rest of the game in order to make it all fit?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Larryb posted:

Just 7 episodes left now it would seem. As I said I am basically experiencing Persona 5 for the first time via the anime but exactly how heavily are they going to need to abridge the rest of the game in order to make it all fit?

Extensively. I recc'd reading an LP for the real exp since the anime skipped around and it'd be confusing af for a newcomer.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Larryb posted:

The game started in April. It's now late August, after 17 episodes. There are around 4 months' worth of game time, plus the epilogue, left to go through.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That doesn't bode well seeing as (unless I'm mistaken) this show is only going to be 24 episodes long. Maybe they'll somehow be able to pull it off but I kind of doubt it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Larryb posted:

That doesn't bode well seeing as (unless I'm mistaken) this show is only going to be 24 episodes long. Maybe they'll somehow be able to pull it off but I kind of doubt it.

I remember reading when it began that they wanted to change the ending so maybe that's a possibility.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Larryb posted:

I'm not sure if they've actually confirmed how many episodes the show is. Going off the pacing, I have a feeling of where they're going with this.

Maybe they'll end the 24th episode, the point where the series would typically end, with the end of the sixth palace and the protagonist getting captured. Then the final scene will be the protagonist getting shot by the traitor to troll people into thinking they're going to be ending on the bad ending. It's only after this that they announce the last few episodes revealing that the protagonist survived and covering the seventh palace. Not sure if they'll do the Yaldabaoth arc too, or if they're saving that for an OVA like with the Persona 4 anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wyvernil posted:

I'm not sure if they've actually confirmed how many episodes the show is. Going off the pacing, I have a feeling of where they're going with this.

Maybe they'll end the 24th episode, the point where the series would typically end, with the end of the sixth palace and the protagonist getting captured. Then the final scene will be the protagonist getting shot by the traitor to troll people into thinking they're going to be ending on the bad ending. It's only after this that they announce the last few episodes revealing that the protagonist survived and covering the seventh palace. Not sure if they'll do the Yaldabaoth arc too, or if they're saving that for an OVA like with the Persona 4 anime.

Every wiki and article I've checked regarding it says 24 episodes so I'm pretty sure that has been confirmed at this point. It's possible they could wind up extending it though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svrbt-iuTDs

This commercial aired during the Japanese broadcast today. Persona Q2 out this year.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lol at the americans in the latest episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The artwork and animation in episode 19 was really bad.