Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER Its here!

WEBSITE // STEAM // PARADOX // TWITTER // DISCORD

quote:

In Age of Wonders: Planetfall, players will emerge from the dark age of a fallen galactic empire to craft a new future for their people. Exploring the planetary ruins and encountering other surviving factions that have each evolved in their own way, players will unravel the history of a shattered civilization. Fight, build, negotiate and technologically advance the way to utopia, in a deep single player campaign, on random maps and against friends in multiplayer.

“We’re thrilled to finally announce our latest endeavor alongside Paradox,” said Lennart Sas, Triumph Studios CEO. “Age of Wonders: Planetfall is roughly three years into development, running on a new generation of our multi-platform Creator Engine. While the setting is new, we’re confident that Age of Wonders fans will feel right at home exploring the remnants of the Star Union. Our aim is to make a game that greatly expands upon its predecessors, and still employs the core principles that made Age of Wonders such a success.”

Key Features:

Strategic Turn-Based Sci-Fi Combat - Perfect your combat strategy in intense turn-based battles that offer tactical challenges, a large cast of races, units with customizable weapons, and destructible environments.

Discover a Rich Science Fiction World - Uncover the history of the fallen galactic empire as you explore lush landscapes, and experience the emergent story. Encounter NPC factions and rival houses, and discover hidden technologies that can strengthen your society and give you advantage over enemies.

Planetary Empire Building - Create your own unique House, and build prosperous colonies through economic specializations of planetary sectors and governing doctrines.

Multiple Paths to Victory - Achieve your end goals through conquest, diplomacy or doomsday technologies. Engrossing options with NPC factions and rival Houses won’t make the decisions easy!

Those eager to get more information about Age of Wonders: Planetfall can sign up for the newsletter, and help unlock special community rewards at https://www.aow-planetfall.com.

Well. Wasn't expecting this at all! Welcome back if you're returning from AOW3, welcome anyway if you're new! I'm real curious to find out if this is in the same universe with another time skip. Regardless of it being sci-fi or sci-fantasy, its interesting to see this happen and I'm more then happy for someone to take another swing at the sci-fi tbs.

Because goddamn, someone needed to.

----

Goon Tournament! :mil101:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857341&pagenumber=79#post505454630

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Guides & general suggestions:

https://minionsart.github.io/aowp/Pages/Units/AmazonUnits.html

The very good database.

Gerblyn posted:

Just gonna throw this out there: The game was balanced around being played on "Severe" world threat (it used to be called Normal), but we were worried it was too punishing for new players so we made "Moderate" world threat the default (it used to be called Low). So, if you feel like you've got a good hang of how your units should be used and how the combat works, then Severe World Threat is the way the game was meant to be played!

Note that, if you like doing a lot of auto-combat, then Severe world threat can be a bit painful.

Mods:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 20, 2019

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

AGE OF WONDERS 3

WEBSITE // STEAM // GOG

If you have archive access: The Age of Wonders 3 thread is here.

Google Docs to the Age of Wonders 3 Madmac Guide.

I'm slightly bias, at 591 hours I cant give this game enough praise. If you're looking for a turn based combat focused strategy game with a flavor of city building for character and a rich world to stomp around in, you've found something. There's enough community love to keep a interesting modding community too. Although how much of that is legacy or still being worked on, I cannot say.

AGE OF WONDERS 1, 2 and SHADOW MAGIC

Age of Wonders // Age of Wonders: The Wizard's Throne. // Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

Whats that? You want more? My recommendation in that case is Age of Wonders 1 and Shadow Magic, AOW2's stand alone expansion. AOW2 wasn't great and is only worth checking out if you're really looking for a fix.

Should you want the entire Age of Wonders upto this point, and you're on steam, heres a bundle.

OVERLORD

Bundle on Steam

Last time I failed to give this the proper credit. Triumph's over ogre other big franchise. Not a TBS at all but the first and second games are defo worth a look to see if they're to your taste. Stomp around a fantasy world as the bad guy! Summon delightful minions, order them to their deaths, wade into battle yourself! Enjoy the pretty drat good writing!

I cant comment on Fellowship of evil, as I didn't hear great things and the format didn't appeal to me at the time sadly.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 27, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im glad my favorite tbs series is back but i hope this doesn't fall to the paradox dlc model. age of wonders expansions with a boat load of campaign content is something i vastly prefer

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Davincie posted:

im glad my favorite tbs series is back but i hope this doesn't fall to the paradox dlc model. age of wonders expansions with a boat load of campaign content is something i vastly prefer

I hope it does because loads of free content and constant support is amazing. I don't get people ragging on it.

I knew they'd be announcing something AoW today but it being a Sci-fi one is totally out of left field, I'm really surprised! But also excited.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Goddam, that is cool as hell. I have been playing AoW 3 on and off since it was released and always felt it was underappreciated in the genre. A sci-fi variant is the game I always wanted, but never realised I needed until now. Hopefully it takes the best bits of Beyond Earth and smushes it all together with AoW 3 combat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's me, the dude who's a bit excited about this despite the fact that I just realized I'm not very good at Age of Wonders and Heroes of Might and Magic because I play to fight, not to win. That said I hope there's more empire-building this time around.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Davincie posted:

The DLC for Age of Wonders 3 was some of the best I have seen. When they dropped Tigrans, Necromancers and Frostlings in the same pack :vince:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Worth mentioning by the way, post-necromancers 1.8 was a decent patch with fun water shenanigans added.

If it's been awhile since you last fired up AOW3, it might be worth a spin. If people want to use this thread to talk AOW3, go ahead! We got nothing else until Triumph feeds us.

E: As for post-release content, expansions as Triumph has done before or as ones that Stellaris has are both solid choices to me. If I had to pick, Triumph's larger expansion model is the winner.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 19, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i was real excited for a new AoW but... sci-fi? really not feeling it. the designs in those screenshots aren't helping me much either.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

E: As for post-release content, expansions as Triumph has done before or as ones that Stellaris has are both solid choices to me. If I had to pick, Triumph's larger expansion model is the winner.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you Thyrork, I can also accept that the "paradox model" could work well here, maybe a new dwelling and some reskinned monsters here and there. A quest pack, an item pack etc. It would rankle some folks for sure, but it could slot in fairly seamlessly. The bigger expansions could be new factions or what not. I know if Triumph had been putting out "Shadow Beast Dwelling" and "God statue quest" DLC since 2014 I would probably still be buying them. The key is perhaps the pricing of such items, but I have never really been someone who balks at a few ££ here and there to support good developers and the continued improvements and maintenance of my favourite games.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, thats why I like both formats.

Honestly? Stellaris feels like it uses both. You get small stuff like humanoids, free stuff like the wOrm Horizon Signal and huge things like Apocalypse and Utopia.

E: Putting this here: They're currently doing some kind of cutesy "get more people in and we'll show more content" thing. Here's my referral. Full disclosure of course. Referral. No idea if its unique to the person, ill put whatever I can get away with here if it is.

E2: I dont see much use in a group for the game until we're closer to release, but I will do a discord closer to the time.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 19, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Thyrork posted:

Yeah, thats why I like both formats.

Honestly? Stellaris feels like it uses both. You get small stuff like humanoids, free stuff like the wOrm Horizon Signal and huge things like Apocalypse and Utopia.

My problem with bigger ones (when it's not an RPG) is that often I've sort of forgotten about the game by the time it comes out. I did get the AoW3 ones but they didn't really resurrect my interest in the game since it was so much later on.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I mean, I like post-release content too but a complete experience and a one-and-done format is good too.

Theres an interview planned at 17:30 (Five hours from posting this) on the PDXCON stream. https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I loved all Age of Wonders games (even Age of Wonders 2!), so this is great news. I'm really excited about it, I wonder if they will take any good idea from the Paradox developers.

(I know, Paradox publishing is distinct from Paradox developing, but I want to dream!)

Edit: Signed up to the newsletter, I'm hyped. Thanks for the thread, Thyrork!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 19, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HoMM in space is such a stupidly obvious slam dunk and I can't believe I haven't realized it until now!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If only plans for the Forge town type in HoMM3 didn't fall through...

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Age of Wonders was one of my favourite games when it came out, and Age of Wonders 3 has been pretty great. If you don't have them, you should get them while they're on sale.

When the press release for Planetfall came across my desk, I grinned. I didn't know I needed this game, but I'm eager to see what Triumph does with it. Here's to 2019!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Maybe it's just the fact that I've been playing New Vegas lately, but the aesthetics feel almost like Fallout strategy, in space. That screenshot with the Crimson Euphoria Hotel in particular feels very New Vegas, with a renovated luxury remnant of the Old World squatting in the ruins of what once was.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Not gonna lie, when I saw the trailer, my initial thought was "Wait, when did Paradox get a license of Fallout?" Now I'm mad that a Paradox Fallout game isn't a thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I actually just finally talked my friends into getting AoW3 and starting a game last night so this is neat. Do we still have a AoW3 thread? I've got no idea wtf I'm doing in that game but I think I'm doing bad

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Len posted:

I actually just finally talked my friends into getting AoW3 and starting a game last night so this is neat. Do we still have a AoW3 thread? I've got no idea wtf I'm doing in that game but I think I'm doing bad

We do. Its in the archive but the third post has a link.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Outlandish hopes for this game for me include a few more systems that aren't just "combat". I think as a combat 4x game AoW 3 is one of the best, but for me it was sort of lacking in some other areas (possibly by design?!). Something I really like about Civ and the Endless Games is that there are a lot of systems to tackle and some races excell at a particular system. I love making dumb trade networks in Civ, stacking up all the bonuses to make one ultra profitable trading metropolis or going 100 % all in on Religion creating a cult that swamps the world. Similarly in Endless Legend you can just go hard on spies with the Forgotten and pillage / sabotage your opponents lands. Its not that any of these things are particularly optimal, but they are fun and present a different route to victory other than "Murder everyone". I know AoW 3 sort of went this way with the beacons, but it felt a bit half baked. I thought the reputation system and alignments were the beginnings of an epic diplomatic system that were never fully realised in AoW 3 and I am interested where it goes in the next game.

I noted that in the promo guff they mention "Houses" which immediately calls up memories of Dune. Anything that looks to Dune as an inspiration can't go wrong in my book.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Tomn posted:

Maybe it's just the fact that I've been playing New Vegas lately, but the aesthetics feel almost like Fallout strategy, in space. That screenshot with the Crimson Euphoria Hotel in particular feels very New Vegas, with a renovated luxury remnant of the Old World squatting in the ruins of what once was.

you can also spot some Halo grunts in that screenshot and seems to have some Scrin escaping from C&C3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AoW doesn't really follow in the mold of 4x games like Civ and Endless, it's takes far more inspiration from the exploration-based, RPG esque systems of the HoMM series. That's also what makes AoW entertaining and not a boring slow piece of crap!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

mitochondritom posted:

Outlandish hopes for this game for me include a few more systems that aren't just "combat". I think as a combat 4x game AoW 3 is one of the best, but for me it was sort of lacking in some other areas (possibly by design?!). Something I really like about Civ and the Endless Games is that there are a lot of systems to tackle and some races excell at a particular system. I love making dumb trade networks in Civ, stacking up all the bonuses to make one ultra profitable trading metropolis or going 100 % all in on Religion creating a cult that swamps the world. Similarly in Endless Legend you can just go hard on spies with the Forgotten and pillage / sabotage your opponents lands. Its not that any of these things are particularly optimal, but they are fun and present a different route to victory other than "Murder everyone". I know AoW 3 sort of went this way with the beacons, but it felt a bit half baked. I thought the reputation system and alignments were the beginnings of an epic diplomatic system that were never fully realised in AoW 3 and I am interested where it goes in the next game.

I noted that in the promo guff they mention "Houses" which immediately calls up memories of Dune. Anything that looks to Dune as an inspiration can't go wrong in my book.

I kinda agree to an extent - I liked AoW3, but I also like feeling invested in my empires as places where people live and in AoW3 your empire clearly exists wholly to feed your military machine. That being said the design direction for Age of Wonders does seem to focus down on a more streamlined "straight to gameplay" loop, so to speak, so even at best I'm not expecting a full grand strategy game layer.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone able to recommend any good AoW3 LPs?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

tithin posted:

Anyone able to recommend any good AoW3 LPs?

There is a guy on youtube DasTactic who has played a lot of AoW 3, in fact I think it is his favourite game. His games are usually very very long (think hours) and split over many episodes. He is a pretty chill Australian bloke though and his videos aren't teenage attention grabbing scream fests like you might associate with Youtube.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I am very hyped for Age of Wonder 4: Spaceman. Although I am a bit worried this means the death of magic and necromancers...

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Oh shoot, I didn't realize this was coming. I am definitely on board with Age of Spacemen.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Right, timezones are a killer. The interview started and it feels like I missed it. They've got a Q&A thing planned tomorrow and they're "watching some forums." :ninja:

Its mostly hush-hush at the moment on the details. Interesting to find out its coming to consoles too.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 19, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
wait what

this is not what i expected to hear about this morning

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I loved the first two games and the grognard in me is a bit irked that they're giving the next game a scifi theme, but I have to admit it's a drat novel idea and I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263036272?t=06h49m12s Interview starts here.

Release 2019, PC, MAC and consoles. No specific date.

Development
Been working on it for three years.
The ideas for planetfall started when they finished AOW3 and asked "What's next?"
Sci-fi fans as well as fantasy ones, they've done fantasy for 20 years and wanted something new. "Mythological science fantasy fits", think Star Wars. Tanks, Mechs, futuristic warfare, human ascendance. Lots of hardware to use.
AOW Fantasy is melee focused, AOW Sci-fi will have more ranged but things like insect attacks and laser swords still bring the melee. (I pray for punchbots :pray: )
Using cover and environmental destruction will take more of a focus, with things like Overwatch to punish attackers.
Hit chances are still here.

Story
"Planetfall is a turn based 4x stragery game, set in a mythological sci-fi setting, where you rise from the ashes of a galatic empire to build a future for your people."
Several factions, multiple stories. "Star Union" is central to the setting, a stellar empire that covered thousands of stars. A crisis isolated those worlds. They survived but are rebuilding. Hyperspace clears up again and reconnect. Conflict erupts but history is discovered. "Like finding traces of the roman empire in modern Europe."
A potion of the game is dedicated to "What happened to the Star Union? What history are we missing?" Emergent story telling not just in the campaign but also in the random maps.
The game is planet bound. Planets cut up into sectors, you explore them, they might contain ruins of the empire "Las Vegas" entertainment hubs and the like. Stories are told in the sectors telling the tale of the Union.

"New IP, resting on the foundation of Age of Wonders."
AOW was originally inspired by fantasy wargaming not 4x. Thats the root. They added RPG elements, building up lords and the like, city building.
AOW2 was focused on economic game as well as the wizards. This brought that 4x feeling.
SM worked with the different layers of the game world (over, under and shadow) and the RNG map designer coming to full realization.
AOW3 a "roleplay the leader of your fantasy empire" focus. Race and class as the focus.
Planetfall looks at its DNA (multiple map levels, battle layer, strategic layer, RPG with heroes) and works with old, making it better, while not being afraid to cut what they're not getting working right.
Battles are still central to the game with this new ranged gameplay.
New steps in the meta layer such as sectors, colony management, locations for resources, acquiring sectors, diplomacy (including causi belli!), trade.

Gameplay is shown at the end of the teaser, the three shots, a map and two combat layers. Naturally they'll get out more info as time goes on towards release.
They're coy about answering if its the same universe, mentioning the space dwelling races of shadow magic and the multiverse being huge.

Races. Some will have the feel of what we've seen, "Vanguard" being the "straight shooting humans" type of playstyle without outright being "Humanity".
"We dont have "space elves" directly, but we do have "The Amazons". Genetically improved race of women, stronger, don't need men anymore, transform life to suit their purposes. Ride gene modded dinosaurs into battle."
Always strap laser cannons to everything!

Heroes are still in with the focus on myth based sci-fi, so more star wars then star trek. Lead directly into battle and can pilot walkers, tank and jets.

Talking sci-fi book recommends Hyperion , Dune and I. Robot.

Q&A panel tomorrow for the people attending the con, but more information will be talked about.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 19, 2018

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Much appreciated

Also I'm cautiously excited for this

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Its worth a watch but I wrote something up for it too if people are at work, edited in above.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jabarto posted:

I loved the first two games and the grognard in me is a bit irked that they're giving the next game a scifi theme, but I have to admit it's a drat novel idea and I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Why didn't you like the third one?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Its worth a watch but I wrote something up for it too if people are at work, edited in above.

Much appreciated. I started to do it before noticing that you had stealth edited it in there.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Taear posted:

Why didn't you like the third one?

I actually have it in my Steam library from a sale years ago, but never tried it. I seem to remember it being panned by the fans and kind of forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jabarto posted:

I actually have it in my Steam library from a sale years ago, but never tried it. I seem to remember it being panned by the fans and kind of forgot about it.

You should give it a go, especially with the DLC's if you got them but even without. Lots of time.