Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I have developed a quiet loathing/self hatred of overt/bad nerd culture clothing and plastic poo poo. so lets find the worst nerd poo poo thats for sale.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/kjmn/

wouldn't you want to pay 65 dollars for this.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jvqp/

or this 16 piece Hogwarts dinning set.

or look at the 15 types of lootcrates you can get.

you could get fallout crate.

https://www.lootcrate.com/crates/fallout

or star trek crate.

https://www.lootcrate.com/crates/star-trek

or any other nerd fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
My favorite guilty pleasure for a long time was going through one of these websites that had user submitted photos. idr which one it was but holy poo poo was that one hell of a rabbit hole to go down.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I dont think anyone here will disagree with you

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I admit I bought the 10 pair of lootcrate business socks for $10 deal however long ago and I don't care if my socks have pikachu on them at work. I have to wear business attire anyway and that's a hell of a deal for socks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
actually thinkgeek.com is good because it separates insufferable nerds from their money.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Also I don't quite understand the lootcrate thing. Like the fallout one shows you can get 6 crates at $35/month. Who the gently caress has room in their home for six boxes full of kitschy useless trinkets from one video game series? Are they getting these for other series on top of that?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

My favorite guilty pleasure for a long time was going through one of these websites that had user submitted photos. idr which one it was but holy poo poo was that one hell of a rabbit hole to go down.

that's thinkgeek i believe.

Haverchuck posted:

I dont think anyone here will disagree with you

I know that. its just a fun topic, plus it has been in my mind because i went to convention for last 2 days and thats what most of that poo poo is. just selling the same plastic things or shirts or lovely metal swords made in pakistand for like twice the price.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Also I don't quite understand the lootcrate thing. Like the fallout one shows you can get 6 crates at $35/month. Who the gently caress has room in their home for six boxes full of kitschy useless trinkets from one video game series? Are they getting these for other series on top of that?

i think its paying for 6 month subscription. When i was in community college i tried one. its all garbage. maybe a ok shirt once and while.

Chinatown posted:

actually thinkgeek.com is good because it separates insufferable nerds from their money.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Chinatown posted:

Excellent way to think about it.

I get that kids buy some of this stuff cause kids love dumb poo poo and they're kids so that's fine. But its the stuff that tries to maintain some facade of having function that baffles me.

Like this "toolkit" that looks like Disney's Marvel's Thor Hammer

Every tool involved is laughably small rendering it unusable for any real job. Never mind the fact that if anybody saw you bring that out as a tool kit you'd be loving laughed out of the room.

Healthy Nut Snack
Mar 23, 2016
Someone post a link to the thread where some guy swindled goons out of their money with lootboxes that contained pretty much garbage. Read a lot like the doobie thread, starry-eyed goobers getting got, at least no one spent their money on lootboxes instead of Christmas presents for their family (to my knowledge).

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lovely metal swords made in pakistand for like twice the price.

I had a bunch of those as a kid, selling them at a garage sale before a move made me feel free as a bird

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

I think it was thinkgeek's clothing section and it was hilarious.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Excellent way to think about it.

I get that kids buy some of this stuff cause kids love dumb poo poo and they're kids so that's fine. But its the stuff that tries to maintain some facade of having function that baffles me.

Like this "toolkit" that looks like Disney's Marvel's Thor Hammer

Every tool involved is laughably small rendering it unusable for any real job. Never mind the fact that if anybody saw you bring that out as a tool kit you'd be loving laughed out of the room.

how would you carry it. i assume hammer end down. it looks like it would just break apart any other way.

Haverchuck posted:

I had a bunch of those as a kid, selling them at a garage sale before a move made me feel free as a bird

the only sword i have is the prerequisite goon katana that i bought in high school from a literal pirate at a renaissance fair. its behind a sofa somewhere.

at the con they had a bunch of metal anime swords including like 20 different key blades and a buster sword that weighed about 60lbs.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to know where all this stuff goes when nobody buys it. Are there landfills packed to the brim with Picard busts?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
FYI apparently they've started curating the customer photos for very obvious reasons.

However the submission process involves you using a hashtag

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23geekfamous&src=typd

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I'd like to know where all this stuff goes when nobody buys it. Are there landfills packed to the brim with Picard busts?

yeah. If the police are inside your home for any reason and see that poo poo they're coming for your laptop next

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

i am not sure. i know a ton of the shittier funkos just end up decreasing in price until they end up in the toss away box or they end up getting bought up by "specialty' sellers who charge 50 bucks for them. like i saw the mass effect andromada pops for like 2 dollars at most in stores but at the con, they were 50.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

https://www.thinkgeek.com/action-shots/

which lead me to https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/geekfamous/

quote:

Gamers all grown up

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus, i wonder what the context of this is. i assume its either a wedding or they have a rich family.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

FYI apparently they've started curating the customer photos for very obvious reasons.

However the submission process involves you using a hashtag

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23geekfamous&src=typd

https://twitter.com/Zophael/status/742794471880822784

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

im the nipple ring.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What is going on with her left booby? ^^^^^ that is a big nipple ring

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Grem posted:

What is going on with her left booby? ^^^^^ that is a big nipple ring

It's her name plate. All ensigns wear them.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I got my nephew a Minecraft lamp thing off of think geek or a similar site. He's six and liked it quite a bit!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Why didn't Think Geek use this image? :thunk:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
the only thing worse than a nerd site full of terrible plastic garbage is that i clicked it for the first time in a decade and they don't even have lotr stuff anymore

absolute shitheads

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

extra stout posted:

the only thing worse than a nerd site full of terrible plastic garbage is that i clicked it for the first time in a decade and they don't even have lotr stuff anymore

absolute shitheads

https://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/tolkien/

here.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

that is unfortunate on many levels

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

its three rings and one of those anime head action figure things that broken people collect

on the other hand: look at the quality of these light sabers, wow where is my money card??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQExvq0hLs0

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

No, you see, it's self-referential.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

extra stout posted:

its three rings and one of those anime head action figure things that broken people collect

on the other hand: look at the quality of these light sabers, wow where is my money card??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQExvq0hLs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCZs29IAu3c

idk. this fight is pretty epic with the dem keyblades.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how would you carry it. i assume hammer end down. it looks like it would just break apart any other way.

no dude the hammer part IS the haft of a hammer, a smaller hammer, inside the larger, plastic hammer

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The SA forums are like the only thing left of my nerd culture past. I like these dead gay forums but I don't miss the rest of it in the slightest.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

gently caress you all, she's cute

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh I also have two swords but theyre shopping mall swords from some shopping mall in Nara. a My parents bought me when they went to Japan so I can't get rid of them until they die.

I also have some comics in a closet somewhere.

I should have a yard sale.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ziv Zulander posted:

gently caress you all, she's cute

If you like her, you shouldn't have drank all her swimming pool water in a delirious fit of thirstyness

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Drunk Nerds posted:

If you like her, you shouldn't have drank all her swimming pool water in a delirious fit of thirstyness

heh

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I don't mind them because a friend at work subscribed to loot create and he gave me a spork modeled to look like a sonic screw driver, since I've actually watched a few seasons of doctor who. I would not pay money for lootcrate, though.

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

lookit these spheroids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Drunk Nerds posted:

look, I like paunchy white wimmin, okay

• Locked thread