Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Released in 2003, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga was the first of many RPGs featuring the Mario Brothers to be launched on handheld platforms. It's easily one of the best GBA games around (and that's the version we'll be playing), and an extremely solid RPG, too. I'd wager that it's as good, and in some ways better, than Super Mario RPG, even if it is a bit of a different beast. It's also got more of a jokey style than SMRPG, along with a large cast of supporting characters, abilities that make each Mario brother feel unique, as well as a combat system that's very similar to SMRPG, but also quite different.

Why The GBA Version? Didn't This Get A Remake?

It absolutely got a DS remake, released October of 2017. It's a very solid game as well, but due to the method I'm using to capture and record, the means of obtaining such a thing are very sketchy. It's a very sketchy thing when a place to acquire such a thing asks you to turn off your adblocker and tells you that clicking ads speeds up the whole process. It skeeved me out, I didn't like it, so gently caress that, we're doing it my way.

Update Schedule? You're Not Going To Abandon This One, Too, Are You?

I'm going to update whenever I have time. I'm full-time at my job, my little Koopaling thinks the best thing in the world is running around like a crackhead, and my wife works a ton of loving hours and I'd like to spend time with her when I get the chance. I'm not going to let this die, so even if its just one update a month, we're going to get through it.

Spoiler Policy? There Can't Be That Much To Spoil In This Game, Right?

You know drat well how I feel about spoilers on these things. I don't like spoilers, but if you absolutely have to talk about something we haven't seen yet, use some spoiler tags. And please, try to limit it to events that are just barely in the future (i.e., don't talk about the endgame when we're still in the opening chapters). The sequels to this game, like Partners in Time, Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team, and Paper Jam will be completely off-limits in regards to story and events within (so, if you want to talk about how the battle system changes in the second game, go for it, but don't talk about anything that requires you to use one of these tags).

As per usual, there will be videos of the boss fights, I'm going to be making a fair amount of gifs (as this game is quite giffable), maybe I'll even track down some music (or ask somebody to do it for me), but we're going to have a good time here.

Alright, with all of that said, let's vamoose.

Updates

Update One: With All The Goodwill Of Your Dick Neighbor
Update Two: Plaza Training Area
Update Three: Farewell, Mushroom Kingdom!

Leave fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update One: With All The Goodwill Of Your Dick Neighbor

This is usually where I do my "previously on" spiel, but, uh, we've done nothing prior to this, so let's vamoose and jump right into the adventure.

At fifteen years old, this game is older than some of my wife's siblings. I remember playing this game when it was new.

The original Mario Bros is included with this, which is kind of neat. I'm not sure if I'll show that off during the LP, but hell, maybe it'll make for a bonus feature (of me sucking rear end at the original Mario Bros).

Man, it's got that new game smell, too. It's like childhood and happiness, new wonder and joy. Except I'm an adult and if I sleep funny, my arm hurts for the entire next day.

Alright, Mushroom Kingdom, throwing a party! Whooooo

Beanbean Kingdom are the next door neighbors to Mushroom Kingdom, apparently.

Of everyone you could send to generate goodwill and friendship, why send someone who looks like they'd eat a chipmunk that got too close? It's like sending Freddy Krueger to a seminar on insomnia.

"ties with the Mushroom Kingdom."

I'll get portraits made up sooner or later. Maybe. Possibly. We'll see.

...What the hell--

By the tentacles of Davy Jones, it's a trap!

Holy poo poo, the ambassador exploded!

Into some horrifying Dracula-lookin' motherfucker! poo poo, things have gone so wrong, so quickly!

Seeing a background like that, there's one thing I always think of.

Holy poo poo, the little one is a horse-faced cue ball.

Now, that is how you establish a pair of villains.

Which means we're about to gently caress up the day for the Mario Brothers.

I'm assuming that's the Mushroom Kingdom newspaper.

Why even stop to talk to Luigi, Toad? We all knew you were just looking for Mario.

Uh, Toad?

Toad, don't do it.

Oh, Toad.

I tried to warn you.

I can't help but feel that's how any of us would have reacted upon seeing a portly Italian plumber in the shower. Or was he taking a bath? I'm pretty sure Mario is a shower guy, but I see Luigi enjoying a good lavender bath.

Can you imagine walking in on a scene like this? Just going to visit the Mario Bros and then, bam! Deliverance 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I don't see how that's going to help, but if you insist, Mario.

You really will answer any call for her, huh, Mario?

He wasn't even going to tell Luigi where he was going. He was just going to loving book it. Which, now that I think of it, probably isn't unusual for these two. I'd like to think Luigi hears about a lot of these adventures after the fact.

Like clockwork, Bowser has shown up to terrorize the Princess.

Which, hey, nice coincidence here, Mario can kill two birds with one stone.

Huh. That worked out well.

Oop, Bowser's mad. :ohdear:

Welcome to our first fight! And first boss fight, technically, but there won't be a video for this one.

It's just a tutorial fight. I'll show off the battle system later on, when there's more to see and do.

However, that won't stop me talking about it a little bit here. Attacks in this game, much like in Super Mario RPG, have a timed hit component to them; time it correctly, and you deal extra damage. The timing for the jump, for example, is just about when you land, getting some extra oomph in your stomp.

Bowser's only attack is to breathe fire on you; it doesn't do much damage, but like I said, it's a tutorial. We're not doing anything crazy here.

I dunno, like twenty minutes ago, when I was recording.

No, and I just explained them. Shoo, Toad.

This better be good.

This is pretty important; it's key to surviving battles. You can't use the block-with-face technique and expect to survive.

I know how, and I'll explain in just a second, Toad.

Enemy attacks in this game are massively varied from enemy to enemy, type to type; however, there's a way to dodge, reflect, and otherwise avoid damage for just about everything in the game.

With that said, we'll finish off this fight and move forward the plot.

And, lo, the mighty King of the Koopas hath fallen yet again, pride and ego crushed beneath the cocoa-colored heel of Mario's boot.

I believe in you, buddy. I always have. :unsmith:

Right, we saw that. Peach got gassed, but it seems okay now.

...Why the gently caress would you steal that? Of all the poo poo you could take from a royal, who needs a loving voice? Just Autotune the poo poo you already got and deal with it.

I, uh, I don't know what that's even trying to say.

So, Peach can blow things up just by talking, and for some reason, you guys want Mario to go save the day?

gently caress that, send the Princess! Blackbolt can do stuff like that, and he's considered a mega-badass.

Girl, you need to own what's happened to you, and show the whole world that Princess Peach is not to be hosed with, especially when you give her explosive dialog.

Really, B-Dawg, it's either her or Mario doing it. Maybe just leave her alone this time.

*Mario does the thumb removal trick*

Oh, really, Toad, really, if we head over to where the bad guys came from, we can learn more? Thank goodness you were here to give us that loving nugget of wisdom.

Man, I get kind of grumpy when I'm tired.

And I'm always tired. :tootzzz:

Oh, boy. Peach may need to call a carpenter after this one.

At the very least, someone with a can of Febreeze, just to get rid of the smokey smell.

Yeah, pretty much, Toad.

We could, but I think we're going to take a break here. This is a good cutoff point, so I think exploring this plaza will wait until next time, so until then, stay tuned!

(How's everything look, guys? Screenshots okay, gifs alright? It's been a while since I've done one of these, and I'm a little anxious.)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Hell yeah. I've heard these games were good, but have barely played any of it. So I'll be following this with interest!

Also everything looks good!

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Welcome back to LP'ing, Leave!

And yeah, it looks fine!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Good to have you back, Leave. :toot:

Got a lot of fond memories of this game, and its soundtrack is particularly good.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 28, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, this game. This is a very good game which I never finished because the final boss kicked my rear end, but I love it and it's super fun and good.

I'll be happily following this LP. I hope for lots of gifs, this game has a lot of amusing animations, and the gifs and images are good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh man, this game. This is a very good game which I never finished because the final boss kicked my rear end, but I love it and it's super fun and good.

I have all these games kinda mixed up in my head but I'm pretty sure this is the one that took me several hours to finally beat the final boss. It's definitely one of the fights I had the most trouble with in an RPG, up there with Sans and Myria when you don't know how to break the game. Basically what I'm saying is I'm bad at these kind of games. I remember Dream Team's boss being pretty hard too. I still haven't beaten Inside Story. I'm at the very end and just kinda stopped playing for no reason.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Ah man, I'm suddenly reminded that I never finished this game and should fire up the remake sometime. Following with interest to be sure, and welcome back.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This game is great and has a lot of charm, I'm looking forward to following this. It's probably my favourite of the Mario & Luigi RPGs.

Edit:

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Still doesn't beat SMRPG in my eyes, but there's definitely something to be said for how things work in this game.

I worded it the way I did to avoid having to compare it to SMRPG and Paper Mario (64/TTYD), but I guess I didn't make that clear enough. Oops. Those are different enough in play style that I'm not sure it makes sense to compare them really, and they're all great.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 28, 2018

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Oh, this is such a great game. :allears:

Explopyro posted:

This game is great and has a lot of charm, I'm looking forward to following this. It's probably my favourite of the Mario & Luigi RPGs.

Still doesn't beat SMRPG in my eyes, but there's definitely something to be said for how things work in this game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This game is super rad and the final boss is a real brick wall. There was also another point in the game that I couldn't figure out what to do for weeks as well.

Also, it feels way too short, once I got to the penultimate area I was ready for another three more before the final one.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I love Bowser's reaction here: "Noone messes with the Princess but me. To the Koopa Cruiser, everyone."

E: then again, they do golf, ride go karts, participate in the Olympics etc. together in their spare time, so who the hell knows what is even happening there.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Nice. This is from the era when I didn't really play Nintendo games (entirely missed the Gamecube generation), so I'm looking forward to this.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I realize it's entirely nostalgia talking since i played this new and didn't play the paper mario games until way later, but this is my fav of the mario rpg's and I won't take it back

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mandatory lesbian posted:

I realize it's entirely nostalgia talking since i played this new and didn't play the paper mario games until way later, but this is my fav of the mario rpg's and I won't take it back

That's because it is the best Mario rpg.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This is A Good Game. It's also totally A Classic.

Leavemywife posted:

Except I'm an adult and if I sleep funny, my arm hurts for the entire next day.

:same:

Leavemywife posted:

Mario's Hat is in the house. He leaves without it, yet has it after the clothseline scene. Clearly, Cappy has been around for longer than we thought.

Leavemywife posted:

(How's everything look, guys? Screenshots okay, gifs alright? It's been a while since I've done one of these, and I'm a little anxious.)

Looking good!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Kheldarn posted:

Mario's Hat is in the house. He leaves without it, yet has it after the clothseline scene. Clearly, Cappy has been around for longer than we thought.

Alternatively he got to the castle, realized he forgot his hat, and ran back to get it. All while dragging poor Luigi.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For my money, this is the best Mario RPG so I'm happy to see it being LP'd!

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Explopyro posted:

I worded it the way I did to avoid having to compare it to SMRPG and Paper Mario (64/TTYD), but I guess I didn't make that clear enough. Oops. Those are different enough in play style that I'm not sure it makes sense to compare them really, and they're all great.

That's a fair distinction though. SMRPG really was a different sort of gameplay, and I've heard Paper Mario is similar in style (never played that one.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How many RPGs have any kind of dodge mechanic? It seems so natural but I imagine you need kind of a small cast to pull it off, given how it works out in this game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

mandatory lesbian posted:

:same:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yeaaaah another Leave LP!

...btw, since you have a wife and child, isn't your name a bit off now?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I played this game about a year ago and just finished Partners in Time a few weeks ago. This game is way better, although Partners in Time is short, which atones for a lot of sins.

This game is fun and has tons of personality.

Not sure what I'd say the best Mario RPG is. Super Mario RPG is an obvious contender, along with this game and Super Paper Mario in my view. (Yes, I liked Super Paper Mario, despite it not playing like the other Paper Mario games. It's fun and pretty and the plot's strong, OK?)

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Wooo! Ground floor for the LP! I remember playing Superstar Saga as a kid but never beating it. It’s really one of the games that has withstood the test of time and it will always have a place in my heart. Though I still need to complete it. Maybe I should get the rerelease...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My only experience with this is from the medibot LP some time ago, but it's so charming.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Two: Plaza Training Area

Welcome back, everyone. Last time, the ambassador from Beanbean Kingdom turned out to be some sort of evil Dracula-witch, and stole Princess Peach's voice! Mario showed up to save the day, kicked Bowser's rear end, but then found out it wasn't Bowser's fault. So, now, Mario has been ordered to the Koopa Cruiser so they can roll over to Beanbean Kingdom and save Peach's voice. With that said, let's vamoose.

This is what we're doing in this update. It's going to be a little short, but if I had included it in the last update, it would have gone too long; if I included the stuff right after this, it'd probably still be too long.

We're going to be learning some basic exploration mechanics here, nothing too crazy.

We'll also help Mario with the ladies. :heysexy:

Much better than the person who conned Mario to jump in SMRPG, remember them? The one that convinced Mario he was standing in dog poo poo?

This person, if you forgot.

With that, let's move on.

You can easily make this jump, but if you do it a hair too soon, you'll land on the ground and not the hedge.

And, just like that, we have our first item! :sugartits:

Mushrooms are your basic healing items, healing 25 HP.

Can't be that precious then, huh?

Ah, sure, why not.

This is a tutorial on finding items and what the Action Icon shows. Somewhat.

That's where we'll learn more about them.

Or I can explain them here. If you had seen in previous screenshots, the icon in the upper right hand corner was an arrow pointing up; that means that our action for hitting the A button there would be to jump; there will be other field actions we can take later on. For now, though, if you look, you'll see it's an exclamation point. That means we can examine something here.

Which is this guy's precious item!

No idea what it is, but let's just say that it was a locket with a picture of his long-lost love in it.

Hey, that's pretty nice! A 1-Up Mushroom will revive you in battle with half of your maximum HP.

Look, it's Luigi!

We'll talk to him later.

Yeah, another Mushroom! We'll throw that in--

...Uh, yes, of course.

Hey, good lookin' out, little buddy!

A Super Mushroom restores 50 HP, twice that of a regular Mushroom. We're doing pretty good on stocking up on items here.

We can't jump directly up to the high ledge, but we can get to the slightly shorter one.

And grab another Mushroom.

Let's chat with the Koopa over there before reading the sign.

As I can explain another Action Icon. When it's the goober's face, you can talk to whoever you're facing.

I'm sure Bowser would be less than pleased to hear this news.

He went thatta way.

Notice that it doesn't say that someone from the Beanbean Kingdom stole her voice, just that they fled to the Beanbean Kingdom. That's good; it appears the Mushroom Kingdom doesn't believe it was actually an ambassador from Beanbean that stole her voice.

If things had gone that way, we could have been in the backdrop of a war between Kingdoms. We could have seen attack ships fire off the shoulder of Peach's Castle; Fire Flowers blooming in the dark near the Kingdom gates, and all of those moments would have been lost in time, like tears in the rain.

I'm sure he'll do fine.

"I'm telling you, Mario, the fish was thiiiis big."

I just had a thought seeing this shot.

Christ, I'm loving stupid.

And for that, I'll see myself out, and see you all next update. Stay tuned!

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
...Okay so if your wife still posts here, that Bowser shot needs to be her avvy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

No idea what it is, but let's just say that it was a locket with a picture of his long-lost love in it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Please post the "voice" clips for Mario and Luigi. They crack me up.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, folks, guess who didn't realize how many .giffable moments there are in this game?

I've made at least four for the next update. I can think of at least three more that I can do.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
All the brothers games are full of giffable moments. If you're not giffing something, you're playing the game wrong.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yaaay! Another Leave LP of a Very Good Game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Holy poo poo, folks, guess who didn't realize how many .giffable moments there are in this game?

I've made at least four for the next update. I can think of at least three more that I can do.

I'm not even convinced yet if this game series can work in screenshot LP format at all.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Three: Farewell, Mushroom Kingdom!

Hey there, everyone, and welcome back. Last time, we did some tutorial stuff. We're still not exactly outside of tutorial land, but more on that next update. For now, let's get on the Koopa Cruiser; let's vamoose.

I'm willing to bet our trip won't be as nice as yours.

I love the fluff in this game! There's no way we're going to visit any of those places.

I'm disappointed it's not the Koopa Kruiser.

Do you think we should use the SAVE ALBUM? Maybe I can use the SAVE ALBUM to save my game.

I actually really like this as a save screen. The pen will actually write the name of your location when you save somewhere.

I jump a lot when traveling. You're going to see plenty of shots of Mario jumping.

Goodness, who could that be?

Respectable entrance, old man. Quite radical.

Please tell me that you packed it; Mario seems to have just one change of clothes and I'd like to play as a hero not infested with scabies.

gently caress yeah, suitcase!

Especially since the suitcase is where we can equip different gear, use items, check our stats, all of that good stuff.

Uh, yeah, I just said that.

Aww, yiss, fuckin' money!

Not a ton of it, but hey, it's a good start.

Do, tell, Luigi; are you coming along?

Nah, he's just here to say goodbye. He's solid like that. Besides, someone needs to be here on the home-front.

Well, what are we waitin' for?

Let's get our poo poo on the Cruiser.

If I had to--

God, is that you?

Oh, it's Bowser! :swoon:

:allears:

I like it! It's sleek, stylish, and a terror of the skies.

ATTE-SHUN!

...Green blazes?

You know, Luigi, if you used your words, things would probably be easier.

Yeah, see what the mime act gets you? Now you've been forcibly drafted into the Koopa army.

Then again, Bowser doesn't seem to realize who he's talking to.

Yeah, he has no idea what a badass he's bringing along.

Ooh, that's gotta hurt.

Quickly, someone bring me a painting of Bowser as a surfer dude.

Just how many Baddies did Bowser bring along?

Oh. Fifteen would probably be a fair amount. Only two Mario brothers, so they definitely have the numerical advantage.

You might want to do something, Luigi.

There you go; just push through the crowd like it's a concert and you're trying not to puke on the people behind you, because you got too close to the stage and nearly got to touch...Who would Luigi go see in concert? ZZTop? T-Pain?

I'm thinking Foreigner or Gnarls Barkley.

Uh-oh. I don't think Luigi escaped.

Oh, he did! Yay, Luigi!

...This seems excessive!

Wow, he never stood a chance. That's pretty efficient snatching technology there.

But, hey, they're reunited! Wooo, we're at the Mario and Luigi part of the game!

No drat respect for Luigi, though.

Hey, alright, we're about to hit some action!

However, we'll worry about that next update.

For now, we're going to take a break. We're going to worry about doing Cruiser stuff next update; there's a fair chunk of it, and this update would last until next week if I did it all at once.

Stay tuned!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ah, Luigi, eternal punchline of the RPG games.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One of my favorite things about the Mario series is that in the mainstream games, Bowser is this badass whose a legitimate threat, and in the RPG's he's an overdramatic, emotionally needy, fragile cinnamon roll.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

One of my favorite things about the Mario series is that in the mainstream games, Bowser is this badass whose a legitimate threat, and in the RPG's he's an overdramatic, emotionally needy, fragile cinnamon roll.
These qualities are perhaps not mutually exclusive? I suppose it largely depends on your definition of "badass".

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

You're a badass if you can kick rear end and take names.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Siegkrow posted:

You're a badass if you can kick rear end and take names.
...Oh. Bowser is provably bad at taking names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Loved this game years ago, the Mario RPGs are some of the only ones I’ve finished.

quote:

Why Peaches’ Voice?

I think the Gameboy Color version of Super Mario Bros set up Bowser as a powerful wizard that transformed the residents of the Mushroom Kingdom into blocks and Goombas. Princess Toadstool’s beautiful voice was able to break the curse, which is why Bowser kidnaps her the first time. Every other time has been to get Mario off his butt for a rematch.

• Locked thread