Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

poty posted:

Not sure what beef Serbia has with Schwyz but I hope they can work it out

lol that's good marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Jesus, Swiss humor is the unfunniest poo poo ever

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
What does it say?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
It says “Chill out, Xhaka meant Einsiedeln”. It’s a town in central Switzerland that has the coat of arms on the right

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
The pundits in Serbia are not happy about yesterday

https://youtu.be/h4GmSmpjOrU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Welp, we'll soon find out if being proud of where you're from is a worse crime than drinking the wrong drink: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/23/xhaka-and-shaqiri-goal-celebrations-bring-balkan-politics-to-world-cup

Also,

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

greazeball posted:

Welp, we'll soon find out if being proud of where you're from is a worse crime than drinking the wrong drink: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/23/xhaka-and-shaqiri-goal-celebrations-bring-balkan-politics-to-world-cup

Also,

holy poo poo lol

quote:

Krstajic was less magnanimous when asked about the decision not to award a penalty to Aleksandar Mitrovic in the second half.

“We were robbed,” he said. “I wouldn’t give him either a yellow or red card, I would send him to the Hague. Then they could put him on trial, like they did to us.”

Krstajic also posted photographs from the match on his Instagram account, accompanied by the comment: “Unfortunately, it seems that only the Serbs are condemned to a selective justice, once (it was) the damned Hague and today in football the VAR...”

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

poty posted:

The pundits in Serbia are not happy about yesterday

https://youtu.be/h4GmSmpjOrU

thanks for somehow finding a Kids In The Hall sketch I legit hadn't seen before

(Scott is best Kid, not because of Buddy Cole but for his impression of Queen Elizabeth)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Coohoolin posted:

holy poo poo lol

Top tier meltdown

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Here's a legit question for you Switzerlads: with all the different languages spoken in Switzerland, what language is used by the national team? Does everyone switch to German, or do people understand enough of each other's languages that everyone can comfortably speak their own? Do they switch depending on which individual team member they're talking to? Do they speak English? Did they just decide "gently caress it" and force every player to learn Romansh? Smart me up, here.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I don't think there's a single ticinese in the first team tbh except for one guy who was born in Lugano but they probably default to German.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
They all speak German, there's no Italians or Russians in the team currently. How I miss them tough, Ludo was so much fun to have on that team.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Double post like a bitch

Wengy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 25, 2018

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Behrami is from Stabio.

But yeah, I’d say everyone at the very least understands German. Not sure about Drmic though, he seems to be legitimately retarded.

If you’re asking about Switzerland in general, the school system is supposed to ensure a minimal standard of mutual intelligibility (i. e. everyone learns at least one of the other national languages), which kind of works out.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Drmic speaks züri-dütsch.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

greazeball posted:

Also,
Neither of them are from Albania and neither is their family though

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

African AIDS cum posted:

Neither of them are from Albania and neither is their family though

??? Yes they are? Do you think Xhaka and Shaqiri (the q is pronounced ch btw) are common Swiss last names?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

??? Yes they are? Do you think Xhaka and Shaqiri (the q is pronounced ch btw) are common Swiss last names?
Lol at this incredibly condescending nonsense

Are you aware people of Albanian ethnicity are from all sorts of nearby countries like FYROM, Serbia, Greece, etc?

Xhaka was born in Switzerland, his parents were born in Serbia. Shaqiri was born in what is now Kosovo.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coohoolin posted:

:bravo:

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Coohoolin posted:

holy poo poo lol

imagine making this extremely good quote but thinking it wasn't a self own

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol at this incredibly condescending nonsense

Are you aware people of Albanian ethnicity are from all sorts of nearby countries like FYROM, Serbia, Greece, etc?

Xhaka was born in Switzerland, his parents were born in Serbia. Shaqiri was born in what is now Kosovo.

So you're saying that they are ethnic Albanians but that doesn't count because reasons

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Kosovo is Albania.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HappyCamperGL posted:

Kosovo is Albania.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's funny because super Swiss named Blerim Dzemaili says he's Zürcher and nothing else.

Shaqiri and Xhaka are idiots and not just because of what they did last Friday. They simply have a lot of character flaws, which reflects in their playstyle and general attitude.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tahirovic posted:

It's funny because super Swiss named Blerim Dzemaili says he's Zürcher and nothing else.

Shaqiri and Xhaka are idiots and not just because of what they did last Friday. They simply have a lot of character flaws, which reflects in their playstyle and general attitude.

hmmmm yeah hybrid identity isn't a thing at all, everyone who claims to be more than one thing is lying

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

And the appropriate thing to do when someone says they're from a place is to accept what they say instead of play pedantic geography citizenship lawyer and "well actually" and explain that person's own lived experience to them. Because I guarantee you that there are plenty of people in Zurich who let him know regularly that he is not Zürcher and he never will be so good on him for sticking with it and saying "gently caress you I'm from here".

To look at it a different way, if you moved to a new country, would you tell your kids that they're not from where you're from? Would you tell them not to speak your mother tongue, not to learn your national history, not to care about their grandparents and great-grandparents? What would you tell them when the other kids bully them for having a funny name and eating funny food and not knowing all the intricacies of local life? What would you tell them later when they can't get job interviews or apartment viewings because of their ethnic name? Just forget the past? You only have one home, and it's the place where everyone tells you you don't belong?

It's complicated having dual nationalities and one's loyalties are going to rise and fall at different points and reacting to different things. I guess one nice thing about living in one place your entire life, and where your family have lived for generations, is that you aren't constantly talked down to when you make simple observations. But the fact is that people move now, a lot, and when they do they're not suddenly from nowhere. We don't actually know what Dzemaili's real feelings on the matter are, we just know what he said to a journalist. Maybe it's totally true, or maybe he just knows the Swiss press and didn't want to answer this inane line of questioning. There are no doubt people here who only consider him to be Yugo, but whether or not he feels any affinity for Macedonia or not is entirely up to him and we have to just accept what he says about it and do the same for anyone else.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Make greazeball Bundesrat, I'm not kidding.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

greazeball posted:

And the appropriate thing to do when someone says they're from a place is to accept what they say instead of play pedantic geography citizenship lawyer and "well actually" and explain that person's own lived experience to them. Because I guarantee you that there are plenty of people in Zurich who let him know regularly that he is not Zürcher and he never will be so good on him for sticking with it and saying "gently caress you I'm from here".

To look at it a different way, if you moved to a new country, would you tell your kids that they're not from where you're from? Would you tell them not to speak your mother tongue, not to learn your national history, not to care about their grandparents and great-grandparents? What would you tell them when the other kids bully them for having a funny name and eating funny food and not knowing all the intricacies of local life? What would you tell them later when they can't get job interviews or apartment viewings because of their ethnic name? Just forget the past? You only have one home, and it's the place where everyone tells you you don't belong?

It's complicated having dual nationalities and one's loyalties are going to rise and fall at different points and reacting to different things. I guess one nice thing about living in one place your entire life, and where your family have lived for generations, is that you aren't constantly talked down to when you make simple observations. But the fact is that people move now, a lot, and when they do they're not suddenly from nowhere. We don't actually know what Dzemaili's real feelings on the matter are, we just know what he said to a journalist. Maybe it's totally true, or maybe he just knows the Swiss press and didn't want to answer this inane line of questioning. There are no doubt people here who only consider him to be Yugo, but whether or not he feels any affinity for Macedonia or not is entirely up to him and we have to just accept what he says about it and do the same for anyone else.

the mean bullies in this forum should read this post before they bully me again for not being swiss but dutch.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's a silly topic since it's about nationalism. I know what you mean about it being hard, but it's mostly because they made it hard themselves.

Look at all the others where it was a non-issue. Blerim says he's Zürcher because he grew up here, lived his life here, has all his friends here. Yes he does have relations in an other country, but his home is here.
I don't agree with people who tell him this is not his home, I can acknowledge that they exist, you can identify them by their usage of the word Eidgenosse.
Did you ever see Rodriguez wave a Spanish or Chilean flag? If I got it right his mom is from Chile and his dad from Spain, but he grew up in Auzelg/ZH. He had a lot of problems at school and was a bit of a dick in his youth but he never pulled this nationalist poo poo.

One part of this is what others do to you, the second part is what you make out of it.

I'd prefer to talk about Shakiri's bullshit ego plays instead of that eagle sign anyway.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Shaqiri and Xhaka doing the double eagle celebration was cool and good.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Watching the Swiss, of all people, getting mad at people's national identities is a hoot

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tahirovic posted:

It's a silly topic since it's about nationalism. I know what you mean about it being hard, but it's mostly because they made it hard themselves.

Look at all the others where it was a non-issue. Blerim says he's Zürcher because he grew up here, lived his life here, has all his friends here. Yes he does have relations in an other country, but his home is here.
I don't agree with people who tell him this is not his home, I can acknowledge that they exist, you can identify them by their usage of the word Eidgenosse.
Did you ever see Rodriguez wave a Spanish or Chilean flag? If I got it right his mom is from Chile and his dad from Spain, but he grew up in Auzelg/ZH. He had a lot of problems at school and was a bit of a dick in his youth but he never pulled this nationalist poo poo.

One part of this is what others do to you, the second part is what you make out of it.

I'd prefer to talk about Shakiri's bullshit ego plays instead of that eagle sign anyway.

Being Spanish or Chilean is never going to land you with as much abuse from Swiss racists as being a "Yugo", and it's very very normal for targeted minorities to develop stronger perceived ties to their ancestral origin as a reaction.

Also getting the Serbs to whine about the Hague is tip top.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

hmmmm yeah hybrid identity isn't a thing at all, everyone who claims to be more than one thing is lying

Case in point: Every American rooting for Germany because great-great-grandpa was born in Silesia or some other "German" area.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

greazeball posted:

This is a great post.

oliwan posted:

the mean bullies in this forum should read this post before they bully me again for not being swiss but dutch.

Do you actually get offended by this because it's a meme at this point.

e: Im not trying to be a dick oliwan, if it actually makes you mad I'll stop.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 25, 2018

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

The X-man cometh posted:

Case in point: Every American rooting for Germany because great-great-grandpa was born in Silesia or some other "German" area.

this is disingenuous and wrong

Gigi Galli posted:

This is a great post.

I only get people bringing up my immigrant status when they're disagreeing with my political opinions, and it's almost always entirely English people.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gigi Galli posted:

My understanding is that Oliwan is an actual Swiss person who just moved to the Netherlands and started supporting their national team.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

blue footed boobie posted:

My understanding is that Oliwan is an actual Swiss person who just moved to the Netherlands and started supporting their national team.

He's living in Berlin right now.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Torrannor posted:

Yes but that part isn’t important right now.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Torrannor posted:

My condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

greazeball posted:

So you're saying that they are ethnic Albanians but that doesn't count because reasons
Lol why should it count? Lets say hypothetically an ethnically german Italian player from south tyrol celebrates with, idk, a WW2 German symbol at Israeli fans would that be cool or a provocation? It's the same poo poo as doing sectarian crap in Scotland/Northern Ireland

fake thug wannabes from loving raclette eating switzerland trying to act like KLA hardmen is corny as poo poo anyway I hope FIFA throws the book at them

• Locked thread