Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win." - Gary Lineker

“International football is the continuation of war by other means.” - George Orwell, after Carl von Clausewitz

"There is only one possibility: win, lose, or draw." - Franz Beckenbauer

"Hitler." - Pissflaps

"

" - ephex

Powered by the luxurious and powerful partner Mercedes-Benz, the German national team comes to Russia as your REIGNING, DEFENDING, UNDISPUTED CHAMPIONS OF THE WOOOOOOOORLD.

Four years after their triumph in Brazil, the Mannschaft has seen quite a bit of change, starting with the retirements of Schweini, Poldi, Lahmi and others, the influx of younger players and the resurgence of one Mario Gomez. In the end, only nine players remain from the 2014 squad and one of them is Matthias Ginter. Most notably, the scorer of the deciding (and only) goal of the 2014 final is missing: Mario "You're better than Messi" Götze. This comes shortly after his greatest achievement has been enshrined in the German Football Museum.

Also missing are Bayern's forward Sandro Wagner, who reacted to not being called up for the preliminary squad by retiring from the national team and City's Leroy Sané. The latter being cut from the preliminary squad has been cause for quite some criticism and people start wondering (once again) if manager and noted booger-eater Joachim Löw is so high on the smell of his taint that he's finally lost the plot.

It's not like the 23 nominated for the tournament are terrible, though. This is a squad of talented players and should do well. Most bookies have them at 9/2 or 5, just behind or equal to Brazil and ahead of Spain and France. Let's not forget Germany won their qualifying group in dominating fashion (albeit against weak competition) and Group F with Mexico, Sweden and the Republic of Korea looks more like three games to find your footing rather than a fight to advance.

2014 world champions in bold

Goalkeepers:
#1 Manuel Neuer (32, Bayern München), #12 Kevin Trapp (27, Paris Saint-Germain), #22 Marc-André ter Stegen (26, Barcelona)
As you'd expect from Germany, this is an excellent selection. The only question mark here is how good Neuer's form is after missing seven months with a broken foot. Löw said that he'd only bring him if he's fit to play as first choice and he did, but Löw's a taint-smelling booger-eater.

Defenders:
#2 Marvin Plattenhardt (26, Hertha BSC Berlin), #3 Jonas Hector (28, 1. FC Köln), #4 Matthias Ginter (24, Borussia Mönchengladbach), #5 Mats Hummels (29, Bayern München), #15 Niklas Süle (22, Bayern München), #16 Antonio Rüdiger (25, Chelsea), #17 Jérôme Boateng (29, Bayern München), #18 Joshua Kimmich (23, Bayern München)
Likely to be anchored around the tried and proven partnership of Hummels and Boateng, but not quite as excellent at full/wingback.

Midfielders:
#6 Sami Khedira (31, Juventus), #7 Julian Draxler (24, Paris Saint-Germain), #8 Toni Kroos (28, Real Madrid), #10 Mesut Özil (29, Arsenal), #13 Thomas Müller (28, Bayern München), #14 Leon Goretzka (23, Schalke 04), #19 Sebastian Rudy (28, Bayern München), #20 Julian Brandt (22, Leverkusen), #21 İlkay Gündoğan (27, Manchester City)
A wealth of riches, at least offensively. Happy for Gündoğan who missed 2014 due to injury to be included. Certainly the midfield spots will always be competitive and whatever the lineup looks like, there's enough fodder for discussion whether taint-smelling booger-eater Joachim Löw made the right calls.

Forwards:
#9 Timo Werner (22, RB Leipzig), #11 Marco Reus (29, Borussia Dortmund), #23 Mario Gomez (32, Stuttgart)
If there's a weak position in the squad it's the central forward position. Has been for a while, honestly. Sure, Gomez has seen a resurgence since returning to Stuttgart and Werner certainly has talent, but neither are names that make you smack your lips. Reus is included here because FIFA lists him as a forward, but his main competition on the left wing is Draxler. :shrug:

So there you have it, Germany 2018. One of the favorites to win it all, but nobody has won back-to-back tournaments in over 50 years (Italy 1934/38 and Brazil 1958/62 did it, btw). I forsee a lot of grousing from us Germans over selection while we coast through the group stage and then get then we all get on the hype train to the semis and from there, everything is possible, including actually winning this thing and being smug(ger than usual) about it.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Adolf Hitler

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
We're not around to beat you (Zaza penalty dance notwithstanding) so you'll win. Enjoy.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

frankenfreak posted:

"Hitler." - Pissflaps

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I just realized that I forgot to work this into the post re: Sané not being included in the squad

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/...3D17%23lastpost

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ginter plays for Mönchengladbach.

Apart from that, great OP, OP!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Torrannor posted:

Ginter plays for Mönchengladbach.
Goes to show what an important and notable player he is! :v: Thanks. Already fixed the post.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Wasn't there a funny Mario Gomez website? I can't remember it.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Gomez button!!!

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

frankenfreak posted: