Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012
What is the use of cryptography in a realistic setting? Business use, personal use...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
what is the use of your posting in a realistic setting, op?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

tricksnake posted:

What is the use of cryptography in a realistic setting? Business use, personal use...?

Do you mean cryptocurrency? Cuz the answer to the question as stated is pretty obvious

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

TheFluff posted:

what is the use of your posting in a realistic setting, op?

Well, a friend showed me a couple of cryptography programs. It looks really interesting but the documentation is SO LONG. I just want to know what its applications are in the grand scheme of the technology world. If its actually some really useful thing that will help people I'll go learn it. But as of right now it just seems like child's play to me. Hey! Let's encrypt all our files for no reason!

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

Raldikuk posted:

Do you mean cryptocurrency? Cuz the answer to the question as stated is pretty obvious

No.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tricksnake posted:

I just want to know what its applications are in the grand scheme of the technology world.
you can buy a weird dragon dildo on the internet without everyone in the world knowing your credit card number or that you have an interest in weird dragon dildos

tricksnake posted:

Hey! Let's encrypt all our files for no reason!
a simple life without secrets to keep or possessions to steal is the path to enlightenment

tricksnake posted:

If its actually some really useful thing that will help people I'll go learn it. But as of right now it just seems like child's play to me.
please don't

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

you can buy a weird dragon dildo on the internet without everyone in the world knowing your credit card number or that you have an interest in weird dragon dildos

a simple life without secrets to keep or possessions to steal is the path to enlightenment

please don't

1. uhhhh, not really my thing but ill take it.

2. i respect that

3. seriously why not...? is it a "causes worse than good" kind of thing?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tricksnake posted:

use bitlocker or filevault if you need to encrypt files

read the security thread for good examples of people who didn't understand cryptography

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

use bitlocker or filevault if you need to encrypt files

read the security thread for good examples of people who didn't understand cryptography

thanks man. just kind of interested in it. i love codes, like, the decoder ring you would be able to get back in the day. from a cereal box. lol.

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

please don't

I'm reading here: https://beebom.com/best-windows-tools/

Number 13 in the list states that you can encrypt files an put them on a portable drive for safety purposes. That's actually really important... I read an article about a traveling musician that lost his laptop during a flight. Who knows what happened to all that intellectual property. But I suppose you would only need that for really sensitive stuff, like, if you worked in a laboratory or for a law firm...

tricksnake fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 23, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If there's a moderate chance your laptop might get stolen, depending on your job and what not, or living in a high crime area, I guess it makes some sense.

On a desktop system, practically only the cops will be hauling your poo poo away, because burglars don't bother with heavy poo poo (usually anyway). If you get into the situation where the police is taking your poo poo, warranted or not (false accusations or sitting in the cross fire in the not-case), having encrypted partitions is worth nothing. Either you'll give up your passwords, for things to get over "quickly", or you'll insist on the principle and withhold it, and get yourself in super deep poo poo. There's some dude in jail for more than two years already, because he refuses to give up his passwords, but then again, he's a suspected kiddie fiddler.

--edit:
As far as encryption over the wire goes, that is different I guess, because some people don't want to be spied upon, regardless whether your conscience is clean or not. The people that bring up the "nothing to hide" rhetoric, kind of don't dig the idea of having the walls of their homes being replaced with glass, if you press them about that idea.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 23, 2018

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Depends on the area you're in or whether you get robbed by someone that knows you/knows you're on holiday if your desktop were to be robbed.

And also I'd say it's fine to encrypt all your drives purely from preventing unauthorised users from browsing your poo poo, whilst if the police want a look then fine, go ahead.

With such low overheads on CPUs with AES-NI it's a no brainer for me.

I also like the fact that if I want to use a drive in a different machine for another purpose or lend/give it to someone I just quickly delete the encryption header and it's immediately full of random, unreadable data.

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

If there's a moderate chance your laptop might get stolen, depending on your job and what not, or living in a high crime area, I guess it makes some sense.

On a desktop system, practically only the cops will be hauling your poo poo away, because burglars don't bother with heavy poo poo (usually anyway). If you get into the situation where the police is taking your poo poo, warranted or not (false accusations or sitting in the cross fire in the not-case), having encrypted partitions is worth nothing. Either you'll give up your passwords, for things to get over "quickly", or you'll insist on the principle and withhold it, and get yourself in super deep poo poo. There's some dude in jail for more than two years already, because he refuses to give up his passwords, but then again, he's a suspected kiddie fiddler.

--edit:
As far as encryption over the wire goes, that is different I guess, because some people don't want to be spied upon, regardless whether your conscience is clean or not. The people that bring up the "nothing to hide" rhetoric, kind of don't dig the idea of having the walls of their homes being replaced with glass, if you press them about that idea.

Yea in the documentation it says there's literally nothing you can do if the cops want to access. I've probably said this 100 times but I'm not the type of person to use security concepts for juvenile aim. So that doesn't really bother me.

"Encryption over the wire" is for, like, shopping or doing banking or any kind of sensitive information. Transferring over a connection you have little control over. Public wifi basically... they're everywhere but you don't know who the system administrator is or what he's doing. VPN is the solution that paranoia of a public hotspot.

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

apropos man posted:

Depends on the area you're in or whether you get robbed by someone that knows you/knows you're on holiday if your desktop were to be robbed.

And also I'd say it's fine to encrypt all your drives purely from preventing unauthorised users from browsing your poo poo, whilst if the police want a look then fine, go ahead.

With such low overheads on CPUs with AES-NI it's a no brainer for me.

I also like the fact that if I want to use a drive in a different machine for another purpose or lend/give it to someone I just quickly delete the encryption header and it's immediately full of random, unreadable data.

What's AES-NI

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

It's in most modern CPU's. Even the lower power ones now.

Advanced Encryption Standard encoding/decoding is included on the CPU itself. It enables you to use an encrypted disk in real time with hardly any performance hit on the CPU.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit:

Wait, I thought you didn’t have to open anything protected by a password / passcode without them obtaining a warrant. Are you sure that guy isn’t just refusing to comply with a search warrant?

That’s one of the big biometric vs code issues with phones. Police in the US are allowed to make you unlock with thumbprint / facial recognition/ whatever, but you aren’t legally obligated to give them a passcode.

Of course technically they aren’t legally allowed to beat you until you give up your passwords either.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, I thought you didn’t have to open anything protected by a password / passcode without them obtaining a warrant. Are you sure that guy isn’t just refusing to comply with a search warrant?
If they're taking your equipment, they do so with a warrant. As for the password, the thing I mentioned is an ongoing case where everyone has a different idea about whether a password falls under the 5th and such.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/man-in-jail-2-years-for-refusing-to-decrypt-drives-will-he-ever-get-out/

tricksnake posted:

Yea in the documentation it says there's literally nothing you can do if the cops want to access.
What documentation? There's two things you can do, grant access or don't. If you don't, you might get poo poo in some fashion by the cops/court/whoever. Either way, encryption algorithms can't be practically broken, unless there's a glaring flaw, like your password on a PostIt, which the cops bagged. NSA and co can't do poo poo about it.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 24, 2018

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

tricksnake posted:

In principle, cryptography is simple: you make something that's understandable unintelligible, and then later on you reverse the process.

In practice, cryptography is very very complicated because there's a lot of subtlety that we sort of glided past in the "in principle" discussion. Who should be able to reverse the process? Ideally only the intended recipient. What keeps people who aren't that recipient from guessing how to reverse the process? Well, you need to make it hard to guess. What does hard to guess mean? Computers do stuff real fast, so "hard to guess" means "hard for a computer to guess".

The math that goes into solid crypto is way over my head, and if you're looking at it and saying that it seems like child's play, it's probably over your head too. The issue is that it's pretty easy to introduce small flaws that are non-obvious, but make breaking the crypto very easy for somebody who understands what you've done wrong. Remember, a cryptosystem isn't considered to be strong if part of what makes it strong is "nobody knows how it works". That defense only lasts as long as nobody else knows how your cryptosystem works, and a cryptosystem that only you understand how to use isn't useful for anything other than encrypting your diary.

It's worth nothing that the major major concern here isn't "you implement a cryptosystem and it's broken in a subtle way". The major concern is "you implement a cryptosystem that's broken in a subtle way, and then other people start to use it". For all that you're asking questions about what the practical value of cryptography is, it allows people to keep secrets. There are places in the world where saying the wrong thing can get you killed; cryptography helps keep those people alive. If you produce a broken cryptosystem that they start using, you're putting their lives at risk.

As an aside, if you or anybody else is interested in learning about the math behind modern cryptography, a good way to do that is to learn how to break flawed cryptosystems. A good way to do THAT is to work your way through Cryptopals, a set of 7 (and I think you can mail in for the 8th, plus I'm pretty sure Sean is working on yet another set of challenges as we speak) programming exercises that will help you implement attacks on some common, modern cryptosystems. in the interest of full disclosure, I will mention that I have worked with all of the people who wrote the challenges and I think they're cool folks. That aside, cryptopals is pretty well-regarded and I think it's a solid recommendation to drop here

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
sorry about my somewhat dismissive answers earlier but the the context-free zero-effort questions made me seriously think this was a troll thread

Coca Koala posted:

a good post

this is the sort of thing I was avoiding writing myself but it turns out tricksnake is just looking at data protection encryption for the average end-user, not implementing anything himself. and that actually is child's play with stuff like bitlocker these days. just don't lose your password.

Combat Pretzel posted:

If they're taking your equipment, they do so with a warrant.

possible exception: border crossings, where phones and computers are being warrantlessly searched now. ACLU & EFF have a lawsuit ongoing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Same applies here, too. From what I keep reading, if you don't grant them access, they'll give you poo poo. Granted, it's more just a few hours than a few weeks or month, but still. Depends on whether that's worth to you.

If you're adept enough to secure your phone beyond the standard device encryption that only prevents people from dumping your data when it's been shutdown, you might as well install a custom bootloader that allows you to create a backup image, and do so, to then switch it out with a mostly blank one, before you cross the border.

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

sorry about my somewhat dismissive answers earlier but the the context-free zero-effort questions made me seriously think this was a troll thread

this is the sort of thing I was avoiding writing myself but it turns out tricksnake is just looking at data protection encryption for the average end-user, not implementing anything himself. and that actually is child's play with stuff like bitlocker these days. just don't lose your password.

possible exception: border crossings, where phones and computers are being warrantlessly searched now. ACLU & EFF have a lawsuit ongoing.

lol... yea i just had some simple questions about this stuff. and thanks for all the answers it's giving me some perspective on the subject.

also can't the cops just grab stuff out of your house if you let them in? Or do they still need a warrant to seize property? There's some law that says if you allow them in for no reason they have more rights to do stuff. "More stuff" is unclear to me. That's something that's always been on my mind. When the cops show up for any reason I freeze up and let them do whatever they want out of pure fear. They aren't civilians...

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

tricksnake posted:

lol... yea i just had some simple questions about this stuff. and thanks for all the answers it's giving me some perspective on the subject.

also can't the cops just grab stuff out of your house if you let them in? Or do they still need a warrant to seize property? There's some law that says if you allow them in for no reason they have more rights to do stuff. "More stuff" is unclear to me. That's something that's always been on my mind. When the cops show up for any reason I freeze up and let them do whatever they want out of pure fear. They aren't civilians...

Are you American? Learn about your rights under the 4th amendment, and don’t let cops into your house without a warrant, ever. If they say they have a warrant, make them to read it to you. State very clearly that you “don’t consent to searches.” If they claim they have the right to search your home regardless or that you’ll make it easier on yourself if you just let them in, don’t listen to them. Cops are liars. They’re trained to lie to get what they want. If they do force themselves into your house and start snooping around, don’t try to physically resist them, but continue stating clearly that you don’t consent to searches.

Cops are of loving garbage. The rare few that aren’t will go out of their way to defend the ones who are. Don’t talk to them, don’t support them, and do everything you can legally do to make their jobs harder.

Unless you’re not white, in which case, just do whatever you can to avoid getting shot lol.

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

RoboCop 3 posted:

Are you American? Learn about your rights under the 4th amendment, and don’t let cops into your house without a warrant, ever. If they say they have a warrant, make them to read it to you. State very clearly that you “don’t consent to searches.” If they claim they have the right to search your home regardless or that you’ll make it easier on yourself if you just let them in, don’t listen to them. Cops are liars. They’re trained to lie to get what they want. If they do force themselves into your house and start snooping around, don’t try to physically resist them, but continue stating clearly that you don’t consent to searches.

Cops are of loving garbage. The rare few that aren’t will go out of their way to defend the ones who are. Don’t talk to them, don’t support them, and do everything you can legally do to make their jobs harder.

Unless you’re not white, in which case, just do whatever you can to avoid getting shot lol.

That's crazy.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Crypto isn't just for encryption op. Look up digital signatures for example.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Our lives are going digital, op. We shop, bank, and even date online. Computers hold our treasured photographs, private emails, and all of our personal information. This data is precious—and cybercriminals want it. Now, I go behind the scenes of the fast-paced world of cryptography to meet the scientists battling to keep our data safe. They are experts in extreme physics, math, and a new field called "ultra-paranoid computing," all working to forge unbreakable codes and build ultra-fast computers. From the sleuths who decoded the world's most advanced cyber weapon to scientists who believe they can store a password in your unconscious brain, I investigate how a new global geek squad is harnessing cutting-edge science—all to stay one step ahead of the hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Is that the synopsis for a 2018 spin on the crummy 1990's hacker movie?

• Locked thread