Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Depends on the area you're in or whether you get robbed by someone that knows you/knows you're on holiday if your desktop were to be robbed.

And also I'd say it's fine to encrypt all your drives purely from preventing unauthorised users from browsing your poo poo, whilst if the police want a look then fine, go ahead.

With such low overheads on CPUs with AES-NI it's a no brainer for me.

I also like the fact that if I want to use a drive in a different machine for another purpose or lend/give it to someone I just quickly delete the encryption header and it's immediately full of random, unreadable data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

It's in most modern CPU's. Even the lower power ones now.

Advanced Encryption Standard encoding/decoding is included on the CPU itself. It enables you to use an encrypted disk in real time with hardly any performance hit on the CPU.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Is that the synopsis for a 2018 spin on the crummy 1990's hacker movie?

• Locked thread