Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Greetings! Welcome again in our Hublot Forum of Friendship match day thread. There are three matches as usual in this stage of this FIFA World Cup 2018.

Here they are:

Brazil vs Costa Rica, 14:00 CET, 1 p.m. BST, 8 a.m. EST, Saint Petersburg
Nigeria vs Iceland, 17:00 CET, 4 p.m. BST, 11 a.m. EST, Volgograd
Serbia vs Switzerland, 20:00 CET, 7 p.m. BST, 2 p.m. EST, Kaliningrad

First up are Brazil vs Costa Rica. This might be the match that end Costa Rica's chances of getting out of the group stages. They will need to get at least one point from this game, and must hope the Serbians beat the Swiss. The Brazilians will want to improve their performance after the draw against Switzerland. If they can't depose of Costa Rica, how can Neymar's team be a favorite to win the World Cup?

In the second match of the day, we have Nigeria against everybody's favorite underdog, Iceland. Argentina is all but eliminated from the tournament, so this match might determine who will get second place behind Croatia. I think Iceland and Nigeria are pretty evenly matched. Iceland might have a psychological advantage for not losing their first game, but that's about it. I expect this to be a pretty close affair with few goals, but perhaps the teams will surprise me.

Last but not least is the Serbia vs Switzerland match. The Serbians victory over Costa Rica was not particularly impressive, while the Swiss had an unexpectedly strong showing against Brazil. This is another pretty equal pairing, and each team has good chances of advancing to the group stages. A draw would likely favor the Swiss, provided they can beat Costa Rica by more than one goal in the third round of this group.

For more info, look up the team threads:

Brazilian Team Thread
Costa Rican Team Thread
Nigerian Thread
Icelandic Team Thread
Serbian Team Thread
Swiss Team Thread

So one of the perennial favorites was all but knocked out yesterday. Messi is confirmed to be worse than Ronaldo. Neymar's Brazil could theoretically fail the same way, but Costa Rica are unfortunately a bit too weak for this to be likely. Unfortunately, the round two games haven't been as good as round one games, probably because teams have more to lose and are playing it safer. Perhaps we can get a high scoring first game, and I think the Icelanders are always good for a surprise. Join us in our Hublot Forum of Friendship to enjoy the football together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
loftus-cheek

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

!

Why do the forums always go down at least once a World Cup?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

good op, op

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Fagner!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
thanks for all the cool and good threads, mah brony

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
this neymar hair is also bad imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Costa Rica are good and Brazil will bounce off their defence today

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I am hoping for some good foot today

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Brazil anthem started so boring I almost missed it. Then it continued to be boring with the players half heartedly singing while not paying attention. The big sign though is that any player with good hair sang better. They'll be pulling their team up with them. Costa Rica's goalkeeper had a powerful stare as the anthem began, a good sign that he'll do well under pressure. The team are singing in unity, but I think it's despite their situation as it faded off as the anthem went on. A bridge too far for them, with Brazil winning through sheer laid back skill.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Brych (GER) for Serbia-Switzerland.
Kuipers (NED) for Brazil-Costa Rica.
Conger (NZL) for Nigeria-Iceland.

Brych and Kuipers are familiar with us since they routinely get big Champions League games. Brych did the final last year and Liverpool’s 5-2 win over Roma this year. Kuipers did the Europa League Final this year and the Bayern Munich 1 Real Madrid 2 semi final.

Conger is actually an American who moved to New Zealand like 15 years ago. I know he worked at the 2015 and 2017 u20 world cups, but.. that’s really all I can find for him. I am worried about how he will do in an extremely important match when it seems like he has barely been tested internationally.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Let’s go Costa Rica

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Costa Rica's captain didn't shake hands with the mascot. Poor form.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mrenda posted:

Costa Rica's captain didn't shake hands with the mascot. Poor form.

RIP Costa Rica

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Torrannor posted:

!

Why do the forums always go down at least once a World Cup?

I mean, try to find any 4-week period from the last four years where the forums were fully functional. We even got lucky this time - no games on and Luis Suarez didn't bite a man (to our knowledge)

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Fagner in!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I predict a dive in the box by ole spaghetti head

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Its kinda silly that both teams are wearing away kits, but our white kit is lucky so maybe that’s good?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Phew, thought the forums were done and I couldn't shitpost during today's games

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Fanatic posted:

I predict a dive in the box by ole spaghetti head

I predict the sun will rise tomorrow

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Why are Brazil wearing blue when they're the home side and had their choice of strip?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

At long last: Fagner

Full name - Fagner Conserva Lemos

Moby_Dick
Apr 18, 2003

You'd think I've been riding the L all my life.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I'm rooting for the ticos because I'm craving epic Brazilian meltdowns

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
arent brazilians very superstitious about kit colors?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

ArmZ posted:

Sorry to disappoint but I don’t think we have the discipline to Iceland this

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

He will be the difference today

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
whoa Neymar passed the ball!!!!!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
apparently it’s pronounced “faggoner”

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Marcelo doing a good job passing it to the opposition for no reason.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Why do people dislike Wagner? James Richardson was saying that he is problematic, and I didnt get the reference

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
badzil

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

ArmZ posted:

same, plus some quality neymar kicking

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Dirk Pitt posted:

Why do people dislike Wagner? James Richardson was saying that he is problematic, and I didnt get the reference

hitlers favorite composer

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

rear end cobra posted:

hitlers favorite composer

Also a huge anti-semite on his own merits, even by the standards of the time

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

lynch_69 posted:

Fagner in!

Adbot