Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

And me makes 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

gulag no :negative:

Max posted:

Oh no, Podima may be scum.

For the gulag vote part or the agreeing with you part?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Max posted:

His agreeing that Nat20's maneuver is scummy but going for the easy vote on Gulag instead.

Natural 20 posted:

[I clipped down this long post but click thru, it's the pod vote]

Sold ##vote podima
---------------

GeneX posted:

I think Nat 20's zany pod post contained an actual nugget of value within the self-masturbation ("I don't think other players are as good as me," he says, with no reason for anyone to believe this of his towngame because, duh, his towngame :v:) in "Pod's case on me is a lot stronger than his case on Gulag, but he's voting for gulag".

That said, I'd actually disagree, and state that Gulag's obviously intentional attempt to rush the post limit is more suspect than Nat 20's needless joke (even if I personally suspect that gulag would likely do this regardless of alignment, it's still egregious and I admittedly don't know quite how deep gulag would go). Nat's rather overly explanatory response in declaring a case against Pod reminds me of how he played FFVII mafia, however, at least until the two of us counterclaimed each other for fun and profit, so I've got my eye on him for meta reasons. I take specific issue with "he knows me too well to believe I would agree with this generally accepted piece of mafia wisdom", which is nonsense.

Or in other words, count me as an actual, not just policy vote against nat 20

GeneX, help me make sure I'm reading this right. You say that Nat20s post has one point of value in that "Pod's case on [Nat] is better than gulag", but then you immediately say you disagree with that point of value and say that gulag's thing is more scummy than Nat20. And then you are voting for Nat20 for meta reasons. Did I read that right?

-------------

Xad posted:

Oh, I don't think it has to be a very black/white thing, it was more that I felt like I should post more, but didn't have a whole lot to say. Usually in a normal game this doesn't matter, or at least not as much as in a game where the day ends upon hitting 100 posts. Was more of a personal thing, not a rule for everybody.

Yeah I am not a High Volume Poster, so this format is theoretically perfect for me, but it's been tough because I don't want to burn a post if I don't have anything!
---------------

Mr. Humalong posted:

MMT voted chaoslord and called him out as scum and he has yet to post anything

Mr. Humalong posted:

*anything resembling a rebuttal

gently caress phone posting is hard guys, sorry

At least I'm not wasting posts :colbert:

-------------

I'm around and such but :razorback: has a chance to win the NCAA Baseball title tonight so that's got my attention

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GeneX posted:

Oddly uncharitable way to phrase that, but mostly correct. When I say a thing has "value", I don't mean I agree with it, just that it's actually worth looking into and evaluating. Evaluating it turned up "no, actually, Pod voting for Gulag makes sense to me", and further that Nat's methodology here, punctuated by one specifically ridiculous point about Pod's hypothetical evaluation of Nat's mafia abilities, is very reminiscent of a thing he did in FFVII mafia.* So I'm voting him for a combo of metaread and, technically included in the metaread, for my thinking his case is being faked.

That's fair. I got hung up on that word (value) and then couldn't really get "Gene is saying she thinks the gulag case is stronger so why vote Nat20?" Thanks!

-----------------------

##vote gulag, not gonna vote for Nat20

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GeneX posted:

I'll do it in one:
Nat's pod case is based on absurd and inaccurate/speculative, in that order, claims about Pod's knowledge of Nat's personal mafia theory and Pod's in-thread weighting of two cases, all reminding me heavily of a different bad case he once made as scum.

gnight!

I feel like once Pod says “this is something Nat20 should know” as a reason for his vote that nat saying “i ‘know’ but I disagree” is valid so while I see your thought process I disagree with the conclusion on that bit. Can’t speak to the meta part.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

It is very unlikely I will use all 9 of my posts so, IDK, someone can claim a couple of them if they want.

I wish I had pushed on Gene harder. MMT I swear to gosh if you are scum this game I am going to sit in my closet and just scream for forever, because I am sitting here going "Wow MMT is so town" and I don't know if I will be able to handle being tricked the one time I actually think you are town.

See a lot of rustling around mr h, looks like a good catch. Will have to read closer when I'm not about to run out the door.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Xad posted:

this post reads a bit scummy to me. "Dang, I totally knew that person was scum" and "I see a bandwagon forming, will join later" is how I'm seeing this

Eh, I'm not gonna pretend my post was perfect and super towny or anything, but "a bit scummy" can be applied to probably most mafia posts.

Take this one for example! You took a post and applied a very minimal pressure to it without an actual alignment call or a vote. It can read like you're just trying to float my name out there without wanting to be responsible if the votes start coming in. That's a bit scummy.

I don't think you're doing this, I've played enough games with you recently enough for me that I know your play style doesn't involve making a lot of hard calls, but I'm going to try to push you to make one on me here anyway, ha

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Beetphyxious posted:

Soo everyone still here?

This is probably a good social experiment on why deadlines are great motivators.

I was holding off on posting until later because I was vocal early last game and held off late game, so I wanted to try the reverse for day 2. However, it seems everyone is doing the same thing or just forgot this game exists.

I just have been :effort: about wanting to mafs combined with some other life stuff. I'm taking the day off work tomorrow so I'll get my posts in. IMO we should work toward having an unofficial deadline tomorrow. I know everyone in the game has been low effort here on D2 but by the end of tomorrow that should have been enough days to move toward something, especially with this being a 4 page game.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Podima posted:

Hey Mr. Humalong, how did you go from this:

To this:

I don't see how this logic flows between those posts, even on separate days.

Going back to this from Pod, I think this is the best catch. ##vote mr humalong Mr. H goes from "Eh gulag is probably not scum"(paraphrased) to "I still like GD for scum"(literal).

----------

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Mr. H is also pinging me. Looking back at his posts, he hasn't been as blatantly obvious as gulag with wasting posts but he has done that. I'm on mobile so I can't quote without significant :effort: but I'm talking about posts like his 2nd one once the game started "now that everyone's asleep" or the one about how he'll make a more meaningful post later or the one that is a mafia edit. It's just unnecessary as town to have all these extra meaningless posts.

If not for the above, I would vote ANarc for this. The argument ANarc is making is that "mr h has just been wasting posts". She gives gulag a pass for it because of how obvious gulag has been about it. We as a game had to drag the game across the line at the end of the day because no one was posting. The "extra meaningless posts" didn't end up meaning anything or causing any issues. This is reaching for a reason to put a vote down that doesn't look like a "me, too"

I'm sure someone will then ask me the question of "Well are they scum together, then?" to which the answer is "I don't know." Could be bus moving quickly, could be different alignments since we had a scum die in the night.

---------------

Xad posted:

nani the gently caress is this

##vote chaoslord

It's... exactly what it says it is? You quoted my post and said "this is a bit scummy". That's weak. I demonstrated, using your own post, how you can take just about any post to be viewed as "a bit scummy".

Appreciate you actually taking a stand now, though.

------

I'd vote Xad at "deadline" or if there is a consensus that "eh, no need to wait for 100 posts", but I'd much rather one of the others go.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mr. Humalong posted:

Actually the gist of what I said was, "Gulag being scum feels a bit on the nose, but I'm not ruling it out" on day 1 and then, "I like GD for scum" day 2.

My point was that you went from gulag not really being considered scum by you, even with the caveat that you had not completely ruled him out of being scum, to saying he was still a scum read for you. You had not previously thought Gulag to be scum so how could you still think he was scum?

Now someone will come in here and accuse me of being the beep boop robot word police. Which, true, I am. In a game with such few posts, it really stands out to me.

Plus I scum slipped in a similar way because I didn't remember the nuance to opinions I had stated in thread before so I know it's possible for scum to do such a thing :v:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Woke up to 65/100 gone, wow.

I believe I am the last player to check in and I am vanilla. I know Pod says the doc would be within their rights to not claim, which is true that they have that right, but if there is a doc in this game that means they are choosing to sit by and let the cop die at this point when, with 9 alive, claiming to prevent the cop from being lynched + doc'ing the cop tonight means that even if scum came after the doc there would be a group of 4 out of 7 confirmed town left (cop + 3 clears) pending any godfather shenanigans, and/or the cop would catch someone. To me, it makes no sense to sit out at this point.

So that combined with Pod's justification for Anarc means I don't believe the cop claim. Pod explained his Anarc cop as

Podima posted:

Ok but in seriousness I went between Gulag and Anarc, and decided I’d rather cop someone I had suspicions of versus someone who was just straight up not posting that day.

Which is true that Anarc posted 2 times to Gulag's 0, but even including Anarc's 2 D3 posts at this point she has less posts than me. Especially when Pod is getting Town/Not Town results, wouldn't investigating Beet, his "I think they might be SK", make the most sense? It's possible a SK would have a godfather-like ability attached but I don't believe that's universal. And heck maybe Beet is just scum. Think it would have made way more sense to take a peek there.

Not gonna vote, pod is at -2, no reason to rush it when we are already at ~30 posts left.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Podima posted:

This was an interesting experiment and I think it would have worked better with a post cap AND a deadline, but I'll probably run another game like this sometime. Good idea Kash and thanks for running it!

Also:

I hate this kind of justification, e.g. "that's a terrible choice for your night action and you would never have done xyz as town" because it's so gosh darn impossible to defend against regardless of actual alignment and entirely ignores the human factor of mafia, so I vow to stop using it and urge others to do the same. Quote this post at me if I ever do it again and I will withdraw it consequence-free.

My biggest issue is you called out beet as possibly SK and spent more words on it than anything else and then you tell us that "well it was either anarc or gulag." That seems like "I forgot what reads I was faking"

But I'm also really bad at mafia as this game proved so you shouldn't listen to me anyway :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Thanks for the game Kash! Gulag I hope things go better for you.

• Locked thread