Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Probably gonna watch an anime this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everybody needs to marathon the first two seasons of Encouragement of Climb so you'll be ready for the new season

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Everybody needs to marathon the first two seasons of Encouragement of Climb so you'll be ready for the new season

Is this hiking yuru camp?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gmq posted:

Is this hiking yuru camp?

Yes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's also a short so watching the first two seasons isn't at all a tall order.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, season 1 is one cour of 3 minute episodes, season 2 is two cour of 13 minute eps. A nice breezy watch.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

it's not as good as yurucamp but it's cute

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Oh. :aaa:

an actual dog posted:

Oh. :smith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I might watch

- Banana Fish
- Free Season 3
- Grand Blue

but hey this one piece aint gonna read itself so maybe not!

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

an actual dog posted:

Some of us think it's even better than yurucamp. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

konosuba's getting a movie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

an actual dog posted:

i like eoc more than yurucamp

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

yurucamp is a better show because it has more dogs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also lol at anyone whos going to watch backstreet girls

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I personally like EoC more that yurucamp...

:bisonyes:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Laid-back Camp is the better show overall but doesn't have anything that matches EoC's Fuji arc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

also lol at anyone whos going to watch backstreet girls

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Did I miss something about EoC? It's good but I burnt out in the second season because there wasn't much to get invested in, like it's very standard club stuff. I really liked the main relationship in Yuru

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

an actual dog posted:

Did I miss something about EoC? It's good but I burnt out in the second season because there wasn't much to get invested in, like it's very standard club stuff. I really liked the main relationship in Yuru

there are a lot of ways i could describe eoc s2 but "not much to get invested in" isn't what i'd use

maybe if you only watched the first few eps, then maybe sure i guess, but everything after their initial attempt to climb mt fuji is the best stuff in the entire show

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

an actual dog posted:

EoC's first season was very much about getting Aoi out of her shell, and s2 continues this trend, but also deals with themes such as facing and overcoming failure, growing up as a person, and reconciliation.

I do slightly prefer the first season over the second one, in part because It connected on a personal level more and because I liked this faster pacing, but both are excellent feel good and life-affirming shows, and if you haven't checked them out I highly encourage you do so, especially if you are an introvert like the main girl Aoi.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

The Mt. Fuji arc prompted me to cry tears of joy. It's a genuinely cute/badass show.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
adding Tsukumogami Kashimasu to my maybe list since it sounds like my kind of thing (supernatural/historic/slice of life)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a lot of good shows but i'm probably going to watch some terrible shows, too

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How are people ITT feeling about Newly Cooly, anyway?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm enjoying the ride for what it is so far, but in the sense of a direct comparison, it's been weaker In most aspects (Soundtrack is less integral/memorable; Lower animation budget meaning less impactful action scenes, weaker choreography, and a lack of flourish in many aspects like the small details). It does seem like it'll have some unique things to say in comparison to the original, but it's been keeping some of its cards close to its heart, so it's hard to contextualize the whole story without understanding how it'll play out in the end, or knowing if it'll have any connection to season 3.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

budget.....

for real i know this gets said every single time someone talks about animation ever but its really worth knowing that flcl looked the way it did because of a once in a lifetime confluence of insanely talented animators in their primes, not because they put money into it. it helps temper expectations. well, flcl was also helped by being 6 episodes over the course of a year versus 12 episodes over the course of three months, but still.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

It felt very "Dude, you already watched the original; it's fine to let go". So I did.

Endorph posted:

budget.....

for real i know this gets said every single time someone talks about animation ever but its really worth knowing that flcl looked the way it did because of a once in a lifetime confluence of insanely talented animators in their primes, not because they put money into it. it helps temper expectations. well, flcl was also helped by being 6 episodes over the course of a year versus 12 episodes over the course of three months, but still.
This. It cannot be overstated just how important timing and scheduling is when it comes to a production coming together just right (imagine that old meme from The Emperor's New Groove here).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wark Say posted:

It felt very "Dude, you already watched the original; it's fine to let go". So I did.

What if I didn't watch the original

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

The first step is to watch the original.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Agronox posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Agronox posted:

Basically.

Spiritus Nox posted:

This isn't me negging on the new FLCL. It's just that the show felt very "Hey, remember that old show you just rewatched/watched for the first time a few months ago? Here's more comin' right up!" and I would just rather wait for the two new FLCL shows to be done than do the grind. Is that weird? I often give Netflix poo poo for not doing the simulcasting, especially since I seldom binge shows anymore (3 episodes per day already feels like too much for me), but I would just rather wait for it to be done and just watch it in one week or something. :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Laid-back Camp is the better show overall but doesn't have anything that matches EoC's Fuji arc

Yuru Camp is kinda circling around the whole Mt Fuji thing but never properly going all the way up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Yuru Camp is kinda circling around the whole Mt Fuji thing but never properly going all the way up.
Well, it's all about a comfy, easy-going vibe.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Chio-chan is badass because in the chapter where shes complaining about why Western games arent more popular in Japan she holds up a copy of Civilization 4 as an example of a good game, not 5. Im glad someone understands.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im with the person who earlier said that they have no appetite for more FLCL but my thoughts on the original FLCL are borderline negative anyway. I do like what I'm hearing about the new one is trying to do thematically

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Definite Watches:

Baki
FLCL Alternative
Planet With
Attack On Titan S3
Thus Spake Rohan Kishibe OVA 2
Blood Blockade Battlefront OVA 2

Will Try:

Banana Fish
Tenrou: Sirius the Jaeger
Aguu: Genius Dolls

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Half these premises make me physically ill.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is this a weak season or have my tastes just changed?

I might watch the new Attack on Titan but everyone is so melodramatically over the top I dunno if its worth it just for some cool fight scenes.

I respect Banana Fish for being different from most anime in a ton of ways but subject matter isn't really my thing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ccs posted:

Is this a weak season or have my tastes just changed?

Summer and Winter are weaker than Spring and Fall, p much every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnacondaHL posted:

Summer and Winter are weaker than Spring and Fall, p much every time.

I don't actually feel this is really true with regards to Spring, at least not for the past few years, but I'll give you that Fall still seems to bring a lot of heavy hitters to the table, so to speak, though admittedly that may just be a confirmation bias.

• Locked thread