Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Was this screenshot made in such a way as to maximize my discomfort

squark: not a fan of mouthbreathers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what the-that guy doesn't look like kenma at all...he's got thick lashes, dewy eyes, and undyed hair without a part. the vibe is weirdly glamorous for a seeming neet, vs kenma's kinda disheveled brown roots and beady eyes.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

he looks like my boyfriend because he is

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

an actual dog posted:

he looks like my boyfriend because he is

this

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

dogsicle posted:

what the-that guy doesn't look like kenma at all...he's got thick lashes, dewy eyes, and undyed hair without a part. the vibe is weirdly glamorous for a seeming neet, vs kenma's kinda disheveled brown roots and beady eyes.
they're both hot, so what's the difference

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the aesthetics are totally different but also i wouldn't call kenma hot. he's cute

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1044340454907674624

I agree with the Sakuga man.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Nice shooting form, Oono-sama

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9X67a_GII

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869672

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I need to finish watching Harukana. Oops.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In a stunning surprise with summer coming to a close the season managed two good new anime and two "I'll watch it if it's on or in the background" anime. Excellent showing after how bad it seemed to start.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know people were disappointed at how not-gay Build Divers was. But the last episode was like, a goddamn clarion call for doujinshis.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i thought people were more disappointed that it's just straight up bad tbh

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There were a lot of disappointing things about Build Divers

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought that every aspect of build divers was disappointing

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I dunno, the ninja girl was kinda cool for the five minutes she was on screen.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
angelmois was not very good

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

angelmois was not very good

As someone who's the target demo for this, for instance I knew who the emperor was when they first mentioned the naval battle or however they first went into it, I agree. It wasn't terrible but it's not recommendation worthy.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
As the season ends my favourites came out of nowhere, with one I never even considered and another I thought might be okay.

Asobi Asobase was just marvellous, and I want to see these idiots grow up and become adult idiots.

High Score Girl still has an episode to run but it has been WONDERFUL and has 2 candidates for both Best Boy & Best Girl, as well as a Best Mom and Best Butler.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

High Score Girl also wins the aware for largest and fastest improvement of a series after the first episode. Cause despite it being a drat fine anime, that first episode was abysmal.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
High score girl and cells at work were the real suprises to me this summer
Both are wonderful
:allears:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sefal posted:

cells at work

did that turn out alright? early in the season I just heard the adaptation was making it annoying/tedious to watch and was working off the weaker version of itself to begin with

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Motto posted:

did that turn out alright? early in the season I just heard the adaptation was making it annoying/tedious to watch and was working off the weaker version of itself to begin with

I think it's fun, especially if you don't have too great an expectation of it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Motto posted:

i'd say 'tedious' is overblown, they just repeat the like 10-second intro of macrophage mom every ep like it's an educational show, or sometimes a cell will show up again and then mama explains what they do, even though the cell had their focus ep two weeks ago. it's not a bother to me and i get why they do it.

it's the kind of show i watch on my phone CR app at work every week. the animation is solid and has lots of silly action stuff like the white blood cells getting covered in "blood", it has a mom, it has chuuni Sugita, kanna from maidragon's seiyuu plays the main platelet (cute), etc.

also it's not really the weaker version, it's just that the spinoff goes for something completely different with the gritty "cells trying to cope inside a salaryman who doesn't take care of himself at all" and has more of a narrative and moving characters, whereas the main series is just good fun to tune into occasionally.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I had three series that I watched as they came out without fail: Planet With, Asobi Asobase and Cells at Work

All three were pretty good from start to finish. Asobi Asobase was consistently funny, Planet With was a cool story about human nature and how to overcome the negative aspects of it and cells at work was the funnest edutainment show I've seen in a long while. Oh and I guess I'm watching Baki but that hasn't ended yet, cant get my fill of punchmans.

I dropped build drivers at like ep9, dropped angolmois at about episode 6, need to catch up with Kitaro I guess.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sirius ended a bit anti-climatically but I liked the overall theme of the series. It's a shame it's a 1 cour anime if they expanded it to 2 the pacing issues would have been fixed. Nice animation and OST though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Happy Sugar Life, indeed.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

Happy Sugar Life, indeed.

It was on my "I'll watch it eventually" list but now that I've watched the last episode (it picks up after the latest scanlation,) I'll probably just skip the rest.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Motto posted:

imho it gets harder to watch as each episode is a bit too same-y, not in a good way. Like I'm fine with wasting some time to watch a show, but this was just a bit too wasteful.

I am def the demographic for watching the darker spinoff though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My Season Rankings Nobody Asked For

1.) Revue Starlight - Very thematically strong writing and an incredible sense of style and cinematography.
2.) Yama No Susume Season 3 - some of the warmest slice of life stuff you'll ever find buoyed by some of the strongest animated character acting I've seen outside of KyoAni. This and Revue were neck-and-neck for the last third of the season for me.
3.) Harukana Receive - A nice aesthetic, great soundtrack, fun story, and likable cast.
4.) Planet With - Extremely sharp and intelligent writing somewhat undercut by janky production and blitzkrieg pacing.
5.) HeroAca Season 3 cour 2 - I didn't really have any strong feelings either way about most of the Hero Exam, but Deku vs Bakugo Round 2 was the highlight the cour needed to keep it respectable after cour 1 ended on the all-timer of All Might vs AFO
6.) Cells At Work - goofy fun edutainment comedy with a likable cast and strong aesthetic. Nothing I'll remember super strongly years from now but a consistently good time.

--Dropped--
7.) Hanebado - well animated but everything to do with Ayano's mom is utterly baffling and makes me kind of resent every character it touches when they don't just look at BadMom and ask "what the HELL are you on about???"
8.) ChioChan - started off okay but got dropped after a couple episodes worth of only kinda-funny material ended on a rather gross panty-grabbing gag.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

superLINUS posted:

High Score Girl still has an episode to run but it has been WONDERFUL and has 2 candidates for both Best Boy & Best Girl, as well as a Best Mom and Best Butler.
I couldn't help myself and had to read ahead, I felt there was no way they could wrap everything up in one last episode. And I guess I wasn't far off, given they announced 3 more episodes for March. That should more or less conclusively wrap up the first half of the manga. Now I can only pray its current reception warrants a 2nd season (the manga just ended this Tuesday too).
Despite all that I'm incredibly satisfied everything came out so well after 4 years of uncertainty, what with the legal rigmarole. I love that they roped in Yoko Shimomura because her style is oozing off the music, especially the knockoffs of her own SF2 work. And even if it wasn't the greatest CG the show still managed to look great and work its style in its favor. I just hope come the English version in December people don't dismiss it outright on looks.

Definitely seconding that the supporting cast really came into their own as the episodes went on. Mom was always great but I didn't expect the butler to make such a sympathetic turnaround. Also every kid deserves a friend as supportive as Miyao.
Special mention goes to the subs, enjoyable in their own way. The thank you message in the last one was a particularly nice touch.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

I binged 11 episodes of it across three days and had fun with it. It made me feel bad for cancer.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The fansubs for High Score Girl are legitimately better than the vast majority of professional subs available for streaming currently.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

The fansubs for High Score Girl are legitimately better than the vast majority of professional subs available for streaming currently.

Which group? I am intrigued.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agronox posted:

Which group? I am intrigued.

They just call themselves anon, so it's probably a single person.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It appears to be the result of unsourced weekly threads on /a/ which I mean good for them, but also goddamnit.

edit: evidently the closest thing we have to identification is "haircut anon" as the translator.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 29, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Tsukumogami vs. Mouse!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lookit this dork
https://files.catbox.moe/7cq6ic.webm
Comb attack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Did Cells at Work ever involve bone marrow/immature cells? wanna see some megakaryocytes

• Locked thread