Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tangents posted:

Did Cells at Work ever involve bone marrow/immature cells? wanna see some megakaryocytes

No Megakaryocytes, but we did have Macrophages raising little red/white blood cells in the marrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
So High Score Girl And Happy Sugar Life both ended and, yeah.

HSG was delightful, just a wonderful journey through time and video games with some absorbing characters and a love triangle that makes your heart break. The show ended but the story didn’t and there’ll be 3 OVA in March, which is YEARS AWAY.

HSL was uneven, unwatchable at times, but also had *something* to it. The ending - which is an anime original because the manga hasn’t finished yet apparently - was unsatisfactory yet fitting. No second series please.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hanebado finale was powerful, I'm glad these too-intense badminton dorks finally found reasons to play badminton that wasn't just a very unhealthy view on losing. Spoilers: It's because they love badminton. :3:

Some good as heck dramatic sports

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

Hanebado finale was powerful, I'm glad these too-intense badminton dorks finally found reasons to play badminton that wasn't just a very unhealthy view on losing. Spoilers: It's because they love badminton. :3:

Some good as heck dramatic sports

It's tough to choose which I liked more between this and the previous episode. Last episode had a great arc to it with a heck of a payoff, but this one had the most intense match and just overall good feelings and the delivery on the previous episode's message (which was stated in that episode by the worst character).

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah. I kinda want to watch all three match episodes in one go now. Riko continues to be the absolute sweetest Aragaki fan and good lord, I flinched every time they showed a shot of Aragaki's knee :ohdear:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well finished Happy Sugar Life and that was some hot steamy garbage. Triumphant music playing as a victim of child grooming chooses her abuser over a family member. drat son.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Username post...anti-combo???

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Here's some final thoughts on the summer shows I watched. Overall it felt like a somewhat mediocre season, as evidenced by the fact that two of the three shows in my top three made it up there mostly by virtue of being inoffensively pleasant. There were a couple of shows that I really wanted to be great, but that ended up falling short in one or way or another, and a couple of shows that were fine but forgettable throughout. Asobi Asobase is the only show that really stood out, and even that one doesn't come close to the standout shows of winter and spring.

Anyway, in order from best to worst:

Asobi Asobase is a lot of fun. A great sense of absurdist humor and timing, hilarious faces, and terrific VA performances. Not all skits landed for me, but the ones that did usually landed hard. I'm not sure if I'd watch a second season though, I feel like this style of high-intensity humor will inevitably grow stale sooner or later.

Harukana Receive is very pretty and pleasant, and in many ways the platonic ideal of a sports show. There's friendly rivalries, underdogs coming out on top, self-improvement through hard work and encouragement, and a whole lot of high fives and fist bumps. It's a bit too by-the-numbers to really stand out as a top-tier sports anime, but it's still a very nice show.

Cells at Work is slightly less pretty, but also very pleasant. There isn't much to it though, since it's mostly a disease-of-the-week edutainment show with very little in the way of overarching plot or character development. Still, from what I've heard about the more plot-heavy Black spinoff, I think I prefer the pleasantly formulaic Cells at Work.

Hanebado is a show that made me angry, which is both my biggest complaint and the biggest compliment I can give it. Once things started taking a turn for the grim, pretty much every episode left me fuming at one or more of the characters. I do feel like this was mostly the effect the writers intended, and I do think that they had their hearts in the right place, but it was still an immensely frustrating watch at times. The production felt uneven too, alternating between great rotoscoped action shots and dodgy-looking character stills. Best OP of the season though.

Revue Starlight is probably my biggest disappointment of the season. It's a show with a lot to love - great character design, beautifully directed stage battles, a surreal touch executed with confidence and style - but the plot ultimately fell flat for me. I think this was mostly because the show played its narrative hand too soon. By episode three, both the concept of the auditions and the main cast and their motivations had been firmly established, and the remaining episodes ended up feeling disappointingly predictable and even formulaic. There was one big narrative twist in the second half, but it was resolved and made irrelevant within the span of two episodes, which felt like a waste of an interesting concept. Best ED of the season though.

Attack on Titan Season 3 (cour 1) is quite a shift from the first two seasons. There's barely any titans and attacking thereon, and instead there's a whole lot of political intrigue and exposition that's... mostly handled okay? This definitely feels like the part in the manga where the writer was forced to start cashing some of the narrative checks he'd been writing for the first couple of volumes. The resulting shift in focus is somewhat jarring, and some of the exposition is, well, dumb as poo poo, but I am still on board with this stupid show. I do hope the second cour picks up the pace a little bit, though.

Planet With is not really my kind of show. It is apparently part homage to, part deconstruction of other shonen battle and mecha shows, but as someone who doesn't really watch those genres, this aspect was mostly wasted on me. The most interesting part for me - aside from the distinctive visual style - was the insane pacing, which is both the show's strongest and weakest point. A show that crams four seasons into a single cour is a fun oddity, but also makes it really hard to care about anything that's going on. In the end, it would probably have been better, if less memorable, as a two-cour show.

Chio-chan is... okay, really. I was ready to drop it after the terrible first episode, but subsequent episodes were noticeably better, and even though it was never a great show I did end up watching all of it. The animation is mostly bad, but the directing is pretty solid, and even manages to improve on the source material here and there. Similarly, I started out hating the voice acting, but most of the voice actors ended up growing on me, Manana's in particular. The author's still a huge pervert though, and the dodgier jokes somehow felt way more offensive in the anime than they did in the manga.

MHA Season 3 (cour 2) is probably my least favorite part of MHA so far, mostly because of stupid license exam arc. Everything about the exam felt like the author stalling for time, and his bad habit of having the characters overexplain every single plot point shone through even worse than usual. Also, the finale was a wet fart. I get that thing like narrative tension become less important the longer a show runs, but still, some kind of climax to close out the season would have been nice. As it stands, everything after the Deku vs Bakugo fight felt more like the start of season 4 than any sort of conclusion to season 3.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Another finished show.

Shichisei no Subaru This goddamn show kept promising to get much stupider and much worse but never quite got out of just being boring. My body was ready a willing for the dumbest show possible after a character got "you die in the game you die in real life" in the first episode, but nope it just decided boring and bland was where it wanted to stay. Not even an overacting Ronald McDonald could save it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well finished Happy Sugar Life and that was some hot steamy garbage. Triumphant music playing as a victim of child grooming chooses her abuser over a family member. drat son.

Yeah!

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

HSL was obvious trash from the start and I don't understand why anyone watched it. It's basically this season's Mahou Shoujo Site

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was but I have friends with terrible taste who kept claiming it was actually totes deep critique of loli culture or some similar bullshit.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

It was but I have friends with terrible taste who kept claiming it was actually totes deep critique of loli culture or some similar bullshit.

:chloe:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the author just likes cute girls and angsty drama, one look at their twitter could tell you that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://files.catbox.moe/ck2fpu.webm

This dork :3:

• Locked thread