Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Behold my slapdash MDT ye mighty and despair!

Praise be to VAR, the VAR giveth and the VAR taketh away. Amen.

After a day off that we all hated and had to do other things with our lives, football is BACK in the round of 16 - the first stage of the knockouts. No more round robin tables, now teams must win every game outright to proceed and gain glory, or lose and be eliminated and forgotten forever. The format for games is slightly different from the group stage - if there is no clear winner after 90 minutes + added time, two additional 15 minute periods will be played. If there is still a draw after extra time, it goes to penalties to decide the winner (bring back Golden Goal :bahgawd:).

Today's two games are:
France vs Argentina, 15:00 BST, 17:00 local time, Kazan Arena, Kazan.
Uruguay vs Portugal, 19:00 BST, 21:00 local time, Fisht Stadium, Sochi.

Referee: FAGHANI Alireza - IRN
Assistant Referee 1: SOKHANDAN Reza - IRN
Assistant Referee 2: MANSOURI Mohammadreza - IRN
Fourth official: BASCUNAN Julio - CHI

Big Fraud Messi's Big Fraud Team have been found out and are going to lose to Les Bleus. Without Barcelona's cabal of blood warlocks to cast their magic spells on him, Messi has struggled to find form in the group stages and France especially will be trying to cut off his ball supply (lol). The French side is, on paper, the better team but they haven't impressed in the group stages and they will need to step up the gears in order to progress as the quality of the opposition rises.
* France have not conceded a goal in their last seven World Cup matches (757 minutes) against South American opposition. The last man from this continent to score against Les Bleus was Brazil’s Careca back in 1986.

Referee: RAMOS Cesar - MEX
Assistant Referee 1: TORRENTERA Marvin - MEX
Assistant Referee 2: HERNANDEZ Miguel - MEX
Fourth official: MARRUFO Jair - USA

Uruguay qualified out of the group stages perfectly and look the stronger side going into this game. As with a lot of other teams, both sides have very credible attacking players but are fielding defences which look a little shaky and may see a change or two in order to try and nullify the other sides respective goalscoring threats. Cavani and Suarez are fantastic strikers but the GOAT is BIG RON, who is good and strong and my friend. Although I'd like to see Portugal come out on top, Uruguay have the more well rounded team and have looked better in the group stage so I think it will be them who advance to the quarter finals.
* In their history at the World Cup, only once have Uruguay come up against a European team in the Round of 16. The match in question came at the 1990 tournament in Rome, where they were beaten 2-0 by hosts Italy.

Please join me in welcoming back THE FOOT to our television screens.
This post was brought to you by MEXICAN DAVES spicy tortilla chips, which I am eating right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
argentina and portugal, just so we can get the Final Battle over with

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Some tasty games today. Looking forward to both.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
faghani

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

https://youtu.be/SNCHAjzdsF8

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I'd love this honestly.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Why the gently caress would you want to let either Argenting or Portugal into the semi-finals of a world cup
They can duke it out in a friendly if they're so inclined

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If france decide to turn up it could be a cracker.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
Uruguayans will prevail today, inshallah

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Big Ron will do ALL the moves today, and I'll do em with him

In the other game, between Messi's deep appreciation of model railways, and the French's love of general strikes, it doesn't take a genious to see what will happen

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I'm gonna say Big Ron and friends go through, alongside the French. I will probably be 100% wrong.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Les Malouines sont françaises

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Great OP, OP.

I want France and Portugal to win, but have a sneaking suspicion that at least one of those team loses. Probably France. They have the better team on paper but didn't exactly deliver in the group stages. I could see Argentina get a close, dirty win out of this match.

I hope Portugal and Uruguay try to out-oval office each other, with at least two players sent off. I think Suarez wouldn't dare doing a Suarez to Big Ron, but one can hope.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Hope there were no evil iranians making noise underneath Big Ron's window, and he got a princes sleep and is fully ready to annihilate some Uruguayan fools, because lol our team is super bad

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rro64H0IuNg

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

I usually wouldn't be for the Argies but the French have been playing football at a level of quality and interest that makes me angry so let's go Argentina

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

I miss Fagner

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
🇵🇹🇵🇹🇵🇹🇵🇹🇵🇹🇵🇹🇵🇹🇵🇹🇵🇹🇵🇹

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Rockybar posted:

I usually wouldn't be for the Argies but the French have been playing football at a level of quality and interest that makes me angry so let's go Argentina

Only if Maradonna keeps having seizures/super saiyan each game until he spontaneously erupts into a pillar of fire in the final match and the actual hand of God comes down and flicks the ball in for the final goal to win it

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

faghani

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I love the knockout stages of a WC

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

France : Argentina
Ref: Alireza Faghani (IRN)
VAR: Massimiliano Irrati (ITA)

Faghani has done Germany - Mexico and Serbia - Brazil, so this was a very quick turn around for him. He's earned it, though. His games have been fine. He's been the best AFC referee around. And while I will refuse to believe Irmatov is done until the tournament is over, maybe FIFA have finally seen the light. Irrati has been the heaviest used VAR in the tournament, having sat in the main chair 8 other times already, so they want to get the Round of 16 off to a good start.

Uruguay : Portugal
Ref: Cesar Arturo Ramos (MEX)
VAR: Mark Geiger (USA)

Ramos has done Poland - Colombia and Brazil - Switzerland. He.. uh... he should not be doing any more games, based on how his first two went. Using a fairly political appointment on a game like *this* is crazy to me. Hell, for as much as I don't want to see Irmatov ever again, I'd much, much rather he have been put on this one. Ramos is capable of doing this game, I'm just worried that he won't rise to the occasion. Geiger is the non-VAR exclusive referee who has been in VAR the most, probably because of his familiarity with it from MLS, so at least they've given Ramos some good back up.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I really appreciate the ref posts a lot, thanks for doing them. Looking forward to a total shitshow in the second game, then

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
an hour till the football is back on

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/chidajunsei3163/status/1012971084755316736

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
I can see France/Argentina going to penalties.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

This

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm properly excited about Portugal - Uruguay, I want the cuntiest game in history.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

love me some 27:00 kick off time

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Is that Maradonna warging into Messi?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I think France will have another lucky win on their way to the rudest, most pretentious semi-final of all time against Belgium

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Football :)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Aguero on the bench

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I’m in the mood for penalties and tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

fridge corn posted:

Aguero on the bench

But so is fatty gonz

• Locked thread