Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I teach at a small alternative education school (junior high and high school). We, like many schools, use Chromebooks for our classes. Unfortunately, I am the de facto tech guy so I get out in charge of figuring out whether items can be fixed.

Model: ASUS chromebook C202S
Purchased: August 2017
Issue: At the end of the year, I had a student bring a chromebook to me that the screen is gray, white and black with a few colored lines on it. She stated that when she opened the chromebook up, the screen cake up like the pictures below.

My main concern right now is ordering a screen and it not being what is wrong with it. Is this simply a screen replacement or is there something worse that I need to be looking at?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Images are not uploading for some reason. Here are google drive links for the pictures so for any issues that this causes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L2MdsHB91XCwEO8A0KY9FsBcOU4h_mbA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L2MdsHB91XCwEO8A0KY9FsBcOU4h_mbA

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
This is drawing from my extensive experience with broken jukebox touchscreens, but that is pretty clearly not a "it was just like that" looking screen. That's a "dropped it down the stairs" looking screen. Or on jukeboxes, a "drunken collision during a brawl" screen.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Domus posted:

This is drawing from my extensive experience with broken jukebox touchscreens, but that is pretty clearly not a "it was just like that" looking screen. That's a "dropped it down the stairs" looking screen. Or on jukeboxes, a "drunken collision during a brawl" screen.

That is 110% cracked screen from obvious user abuse. Seen these often in my small repair shop, usually it's from being dropped by kids.

That screen replacement cost is likely going to not be worth the effort, considering how cheap Chromebooks are for an entire identical replacement :(

• Locked thread