Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqs9yOmqi8c
Releasing December 3rd for $99

45% smaller than the original playstation, with 20 preloaded games. Here's the confirmed list so far:

Tekken 3
Final Fantasy VII
Wild ARMs
Ridge Racer 4
JUMPING FLASH!!!11!

USB adapter NOT included! see back for details!!!

this is the hype thread for the return of the great console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Looking forward to inevitably hacking this thing

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I preordered it last night because I have a void to fill.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

im hoping hitting the OPEN button will reveal a little compartment inside where the disc drive was so i can store my weed in this thing, sony plz

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It should make a noise when you shake it so you know when it's about to poo poo out on you.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

turning it upside down so it will work better should be a feature, too

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

if sony puts star ocean 2 on this i will pee my pants. I mean their repeated refusal to rerelease one of the best ps1 games in the West has to have some long term goal right

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Reminds me of the underpowered and lacking a gameshark port, mini Playstation. I did not enjoy those longer loading times.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

free hubcaps posted:

if sony puts star ocean 2 on this i will pee my pants. I mean their repeated refusal to rerelease one of the best ps1 games in the West has to have some long term goal right

Only if it is the original SO2 with the best voice acting.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Vakal posted:

Only if it is the original SO2 with the best voice acting.

ready ururu? TEAR INTO PIECES!!

e: Sony really needs to put in some awesome but criminally underplayed 2 player game on this, like robo pit or gundam battle assault 2

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 20, 2018

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

free hubcaps posted:

e: Sony really needs to put in some awesome but criminally underplayed 2 player game on this, like robo pit or gundam battle assault 2

Bushido Blade with 2 min load times.
Bust A Groove that skips unless you flip the PS over.
That sketchy guy at school with gold discs who had Tobal #2 a year before everyone else. So the disc spinning in the UI is just gold with duct tape on it.

I want the younger generation to experience our 360 RROD equivalent days!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Gonna be a real bummer if there's no dual shock support.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bushido Blade had better be on this.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It should've been based on the PS one model with the LCD screen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

It should've been based on the PS one model with the LCD screen.

Hell, it should have just been a bundle which just came with physical discs for all the games and an S-Video-to-HDMI converter box.

And one of those super-flaky multi-page memory cards for authenticity.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It should have not been announced at all and not ruined my etsy business of making 3d printed mini playstation cases for the raspberry pi :mad:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Not that it wasn't a fun game or anything, but does Wild ARMs strike anyone else as a really loving weird choice? I would've expected Breath of Fire or Parasite Eve long before that.

free hubcaps posted:

COME HERE BARNEY

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It isn't stealing Nitnendo's idea until its horribly under-stocked and price controlled by scalpers. And to be fair, they did trade Nintendo a horrible online fee so fair is fair.

It just sucks that it doesn't have Metal Gear Solid, Legend of Legia or Legend of Dragoon.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I can't imagine MGS won't be on it. That's up there with FF 7 as putting the PlayStation on the map.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not that it wasn't a fun game or anything, but does Wild ARMs strike anyone else as a really loving weird choice? I would've expected Breath of Fire or Parasite Eve long before that.

Sony owns the Wild Arms IP so it's basically in as a first-party thing.

On that note, I imagine this thing won't have a Gran Turismo game due to all the real life car licensing stuff which is probably why Ridge Racer Type 4 is there instead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

COME HERE BARNEY
The SNES classic didn't have Chrono Trigger. Not every great game is guaranteed a spot. I expect to never see a Xenogears port in my lifetime. The PC can emulate the remaining 99% of games that this classic won't have and do it better.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Mercury Crusader posted:

On that note, I imagine this thing won't have a Gran Turismo game due to all the real life car licensing stuff which is probably why Ridge Racer Type 4 is there instead.

I...never thought about that. I kind of figured it would be a lock but yeah, re-licensing all the that stuff would be hell.

I'm guessing Warhawk and some form of Jetmoto will show up in this. Maybe a Hot Shots or Arc the Lad? ...Legend of Dragoon?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

It's SUPER unlikely but I want Megaman Legends to be on it. Primarily because I want people to pressure Capcom to make a sequel so we finally have some closure in that series. I liked that series.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Grandia would be an easy pick since it is due for Steam, so no licensing issues there. I hope they have the disc three content.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Looking forward to inevitably hacking this thing

Yeah if it's a classic situation I'll be on it in a heart beat.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah I imagine a tony hawk game would be extremely hard too because not only do you have all the licensed music but you have all the real world skateboard brands and real life skaters in there too.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

Crabtree posted:

It isn't stealing Nitnendo's idea until its horribly under-stocked and price controlled by scalpers. And to be fair, they did trade Nintendo a horrible online fee so fair is fair.

It just sucks that it doesn't have Metal Gear Solid, Legend of Legia or Legend of Dragoon.

Dragoon and Legaia are both Sony as well right? I think they could fill it up with 20 Sony games alone before even hitting the 3rd party stuff. Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, Crash, Spyro, Tomba, Wipeout,Jet Moto, etc.

They should just make a ps1 box that can connect to the net where you can download what you want or just enable backwards compatibility for the PS4 (and then add more games so the Vita and PS3 could use them too)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

busysignal posted:

Dragoon and Legaia are both Sony as well right? I think they could fill it up with 20 Sony games alone before even hitting the 3rd party stuff. Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, Crash, Spyro, Tomba, Wipeout,Jet Moto, etc.

For real, there's a ton of great stuff they own or are the publishers of for PSX across a lot of genres.

I wonder if there'll be different selections of games on the US and Japanese ones.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

busysignal posted:

Dragoon is. That game irritates the hell out of me though because I swear to god the timing on the combos is always off by a half second.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pre ordered the poo poo out of this and the NeoGeo Mini too because I have a problem wanting to own all the mini consoles.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looking forward to any Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

busysignal posted:

Crash and Spyro are owned by Activision now, but it'd be weird if Sony didn't try to get at least one of each title from them. I could see one of the first two Twisted Metal games making it in, but not the later two as those featured copious amounts of Rob Zombie to license. Jet Moto had a bunch of Mountain Dew advertisements from what I remember, anyone know if those were taken out for the PSN release?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ridge Racer 4 sucks the only good thing about it was the intro. I want Rage Racer, or the first two games.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Mercury Crusader posted:

Crash and Spyro are owned by Activision now, but it'd be weird if Sony didn't try to get at least one of each title from them.

Aren't the first three Spyro games getting the remake treatment with fancy graphics and the whole shebang? Might either be a good time to get one of the originals on the PS Classic and drum up (some more) hype for it or they might go the exact opposite route and not want the old stuff easily accessible because of the new remakes coming out "soon" or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I love Ridge Racer Type 4 but I don't want to play it or many other games without analogue controls.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I love Ridge Racer Type 4 but I don't want to play it or many other games without analogue controls.

Yeah, I hadn't played the game in a long time, so I fired it up to see how it was with the original PS1 controller and it was miserable without the stick. Probably would've made more sense to have the original Ridge Racer or something.

I'm actually surprised they went with Tekken 3 and Ridge Racer Type 4 instead of the firsts of each series. At the very least, I can understand going after Tekken 3 considering it's, what, in the top five of best-selling PS1 games ever? I don't remember Type 4 getting much coverage at all back when it was new.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, I hadn't played the game in a long time, so I fired it up to see how it was with the original PS1 controller and it was miserable without the stick. Probably would've made more sense to have the original Ridge Racer or something.

I'm actually surprised they went with Tekken 3 and Ridge Racer Type 4 instead of the firsts of each series. At the very least, I can understand going after Tekken 3 considering it's, what, in the top five of best-selling PS1 games ever? I don't remember Type 4 getting much coverage at all back when it was new.

Pretty sure Gran Turismo came out before RR Type 4, which after playing GT made me never want to touch type 4 again.

I'd love GT or GT2 but they might be in licensing hell and also loving suck poo poo without analog controls. Although being a sony studio it might be easier?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Capcom surprises everyone and announces it will include Resident Evil Survivor

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It would be pretty funny if it included the original Final Fantasy Tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
It needs PaRappa, Einhander and the original Armored Core imo. If not it better be easily hackable like the nintendo consoles damnit.

• Locked thread