Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Update for 2019!

Chicken posted:

National/International
World men's is March 28 to April 5 in Glasgow.
World women's is March 14-22 in Prince George BC.
World mixed doubles is April 18-25 in Kelowna BC.
Brier is February 29 to March 8 in Kingston ON.
Scotties is February 15-23 in Moose Jaw SK.
US men's and women's is February 8-15 in Spokane.

Grand Slam of Curling:
October 22-27 in North Bay ON
November 5-10 in Pictou NS
December 10-15 in Conception Bay NL
January 14-19 in Yorkton SK
April 7-12 in Toronto ON
April 29 - May 3 in Olds AB

Powershift posted:

There's also:

Canada Cup in Leduc Nov 27-01(hour away, gonna try to go)
Continental cup in London, On Jan 9-12
Canadian Juniors Jan 25-26

Definitely going to the GSC season closer in Olds, too, Even though Homan and Gushue will have the titles locked up by then anyways.

Given the interest after the Olympics last year, I thought it would be nice to have a little fireside chat thread about curling again.

This can be a game-day thread for your various tournaments, or a place to talk about the mixed night beginner's league you joined with your grandma at the rink down the road. Anything and everything curling related is more than welcome here.

The Pinty's grand slam of curling is one of the major league event series up here in Canada.

Princess Auto Elite 10 Sept. 26-30, 2018 St. Clair Campus Arena Chatham, Ont.
Masters Oct. 23-28, 2018 Rath Eastlink Arena Truro, N.S.
Tour Challenge Nov. 6-11, 2018 Tournament CentreThunder Bay, Ont.
Boost National Dec. 11-16, 2018 Conception Bay South Arena Conception Bay South, N.L.
Meridian Canadian Open Jan. 8-13, 2019 Civic Centre North Battleford, Sask.
Players’ Championship April 9-14, 2019 Ryerson’s Mattamy Athletic CentreToronto, Ont.
Humpty’s Champions Cup April 23-28, 2019 Merlis Belsher Place Saskatoon, Sask.

The main men's event (whenever there isn't an Olympics going on somewhere ((and sometimes even when there is))) is the vaunted ~*Brier*~
https://www.curling.ca/2019brier/
March 2-10, 2019

The main even for Ladies is the Scotties Tournament of Hearts.
https://www.curling.ca/2019scotties/
February 16-24, 2019

So let's talk about Chess on Ice!

I'm playing in two leagues this year, last year was my first time and I caught the fever bad, I've never been into team sports as a participant, but the pacing, the strategy and the tradition just clicked for me.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Played our first game tonight. Skip was out of town, so as the 'most experienced curler' with one whole year of playing lead (lol) I did it for our team. Got our asses handed to us 13-2, but it was a fun time, and we put up points in the first two ends. I made a couple decent shots, and so did my team, we sent a lot sailing through the house after missing our targets by a few centimeters. With a couple more weeks of target practice we might be ok. Weight judgements were surprisingly decent, aim was a little off but not badly, I need to learn to read the ice better so I can adjust how much ice to give the guys.

Anyone else playing in a league this year?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Second night of men's league last night, lost 9-3, but we were in it for 4 ends this time instead of just 2. Nice steady improvement, team is coming together.

Plus that's not too bad for a bunch of rookies and one older fellow who hasn't played in 20 years.

First night of the Friday late night mixed league was fun, my team barely won that one by a single rock.

Five rock rule I think will have strategies developed over the year. I don't have much advice beyond "Build a Wall" and see if you can score behind it. You can get some serious blockage going there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slipped on some debris on the ice a couple weeks back, landed on my elbow and hosed up my shoulder. Rehabbing that has been a bitch but I'm starting to feel normal again.

Curling season going pretty well, feeling good about my teams' progression, men's team hasn't had much luck, but we're getting there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My men's team finally won a game the other week. We've been getting way better, losing by one or two instead of getting blown out. Happy with the progress!

There's a Grand slam event on this week, caught a little of einarson's game, seems like they're doing ok even if they're not winning all the time.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Chicken posted:

Went to a bonspiel this weekend and got destroyed by a team skipped by an 82 year old. He then proceeded to outdrink us afterwards.

Sounds about right, plenty of those old timers are hardcore.

My men's night rink is getting better, my shoulder is loving destroyed from a fall I took on the ice so I'm playing at maybe 50% sweeping capacity, which sucks, but hopefully I can get it fixed and rehab it for next year.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anyone else watching the all Star skins games in Banff?

This Koe/carruthers game is intense.

Ben Hebert is my spirit animal.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man this Ellerslie curling club is run by a bunch of whiny bitches.

Still though, nice to watch the alberta playdowns when it's -30C outside and just enjoy it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Jones getting crushed by PEI and it's great.

New Brunswick is doing well against Jones as well, I hope this continues.

Jones is a great curler but I want to see someone else win for once.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah they just put the stats up, Jones is only curling 50%, JFC.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Chicken posted:

Going to extra ends! Way more exciting game now.

Yeah holy poo poo this is tense :stare:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

So about 6 months ago I started dating a girl who has been curling for a few years. It's something I've always wanted to try so, as a date, she arranged to bring me out to give it a shot. I enjoyed it so much that I pretty much immediately signed up for the beginner's league and have been out once a week since the start of January. It's great stuff and I'm glad this thread exists.

Same thing happened to me, we ended up getting married.

I actually curled against the wife's team last night in our friday night league, they killed us 9-5 or 10-6 (I can't remember if we put up all the points towards the end) but that's better than last year when they beat us like 16-2 or something.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gret posted:

Yay Bottcher! I don't know why exactly being a casual curling fan in the U.S., but I like that team.

They're an underdog, they lost their provincial playdowns but had enough points to get into the wild card play off and really earned their way in. It's not hard to cheer for those guys. Plus the third is hilarious, he's got a ton of personality.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

This has been the best brier in a while, the 4 top teams basically all at their best. I'd like to see Botcher win it.

I am 100% ok with either of these teams winning. These guys played their asses off all week.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That was a low scoring game but JFC it was entertaining.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My wife has seen the Korean team practice at her rink in Calgary a couple times. She says they're scary good.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

It's curling time again! So here's a question that I've been waiting to ask since basically last spring. Shouldn't the thread title be "Let he who is without hammer cast the first rock"?

Agreed. Someone PM our mod please.

I started curling in my men's league in September, been busy af though so I haven't posted about it. Doing better this year, shoulder's still hosed but I'm making my way through.

Someone want to aggregate the curling tourney dates and I will update the op?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks for doing the research for me guys, OP updated.

Played tonight, won 10-6, but it was hard work, I swept the ice flat.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This Canada cup final is pretty entertaining.

Also my Friday night league team asked me to skip because my normal 3rd and skip have just been having an awful time lately. I usually play lead so you know they're desperate.

End 1: losing 3-0
End 2: losing 4-0
End 3: losing 6-0
End 4: losing 6-5 (finally get a break on a good shot)
End 5: winning 6-8
End 6: winning 6-9
End 7: won 7-9
Hell yeah, first time skipping a whole game properly :dance:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Is it bad I want the wild card to lose only because Jones' kid got me and the wife sick? (We were spectating in Canmore at the mixed doubles tournament and her kid was sick and running around the club.)

Is been nice to watch the Scotties as I rehab my shoulder, since I'm out for the rest of the season.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy poo poo that was a hell of a finish for the Scotties. Well done ladies.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What happened? I missed whatever you're taking about.

This final is sad, Botcher played great all week and he's falling apart, poor guy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah they played really well.

Alberta, not so much. Poor loving guys, Moulding looked absolutely despondent :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I would love to curl this year now that my shoulder is repaired. But I am foregoing it because of covid. I'm hoping to work from home for as long as possible because I have elevated risk due to asthma, so it's only appropriate that I not engage in my favourite winter sport for the same reason.

:smith:

Please keep us all up to date with how your experience changes through the season, I wish to live vicariously through you folks who are playing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

The scotties are on. I really missed curling.

Same here buddy.

This winter has been ok, but I really miss going to the rink.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Happy curling day in Canada my friends.

Really hoping einarson can pull off a victory here so Walker can move on, but it's not looking good.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm hoping she can catch up. Good game so far though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah holy poo poo that was incredible to watch.

This match with Einarson is going to be rough, off to a good start.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Qwijib0 posted:

Brutal 6th for Alberta :rip:

Yeah, could have been a lot worse though. :ohdear:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gret posted:

drat now this is getting exciting.

Entertaining as all get out.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah that was a lot of fun, great to watch some new curling on tv.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Qwijib0 posted:

Waiting with bated breath to see if the eye on the hog equipment shows up.

Honestly I hope it doesn't-- there is something innately curling about just being on the honor system in the sport's championship.

Yeah what's the story on that? I totally missed why they weren't using the electronic sensors this time. Were they stuck in transit or something?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's crazy. They should absolutely be able to reuse them.

Maybe they donate last year's models to some random club at the end of the pro season. I think they do that with a lot of their equipment.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Qwijib0 posted:

Scott Macdonald just killed it, that whole game was a journey. Unbelievable skip stones in the last couple ends fighting the clock. GG Nova Scotia

Yeah, his third owed the whole team a couple rounds of beer after his stones. Nice to see the skip pull that one out of a disaster.

Tonight's gunlaugson game is full of fun technical shots. This manitoba team is gonna go far.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

At the same time these two teams are, what, 4-1 and 4-0? They're at, or close to, the top of the field.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Qwijib0 posted:

WC Howard's Tim March is a hell of a sweeper

Yeah that was some fancy footwork there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They was an amazing shot to win it. Moulding is such a proud curling dad.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Way to go Bottcher!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

He's a nice dude and his team is a lot of fun to watch. His third has a great personality.

A lot of us (not all) are from alberta so we've seen them play a fair amount.

It's just a familiarity thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well done Bottcher, I am super happy for those guys. Karick Martin was super emotional, and I would be too if I were him. Nice to see.

Koe's team looked dejected badly in the entire second half. I feel bad for them :(