Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The old thread got archived in the wait for Bones 4, and I guess nobody thought to recreate it. But, with Bones 4 coming out, and the general painting thread basically a general 40k painting thread, it might be worth starting part II (by lifting liberally from thespaceinvader's part I OP)

So, who are Reaper Miniatures?
At the risk of sounding facetious, these guys. Also these guys, on YouTube.

In a little more detail, Reaper is a Texas-based company primarily making miniatures for the hobbyist, and for tabletop RPGs, but also selling paints and modelling gear, and running an annual con. They also have a thriving forum, run several game systems (about which I know little, so please do post some information if you have it), and are licensed manufacturers for Pathfinder minis.

So, what do they make, like, specifically?
Several ranges of minis in white metal, resin, and plastic. One range, Legendary Encounters, comes pre-painted and pre-assembled, whilst the rest require you to lavish them with glue and paint and poo poo. Well, preferably less of the poo poo, but you know, whatever floats your boat. They produce minis in a variety of scales, genres and styles, from the outlandish far-future/time-travelly Chronoscope range, replete with cyber-gorillas, zombie-hunters, and mind flayers Bathalians, to the traditional fantasy Dark Heaven Legends and Pathfinder ranges; and from the steampunky Savage Worlds to the mechs of CAV strike operations. Reaper also has paint lines, which can be bought as singles, multicolour packs, or in triads for doing NMM, colour wheel work, etc.

In reality though, most of us are here for the Bones

BONES! What's the deal?
The Dark Heaven Bones, made from a couple of different hardness grades of PVC (depending on the subject) called bonesium range premiered in early 2012 with a test range of 5 or 6 minis, priced from the large Purple Worm at $2.99, to packs of 3 minion-type critters for 3 to 5 bucks. Individual PC-type figures come in at around $1.50, which in a world where a single resin mini can set you back anywhere from $5 to $20, was a refreshing breath of fresh air. But it didn't stop there. 2012 was the year of the Bones Kickstarter.

Reaper announced the Reaper Miniatures Bones: an evolution of gaming miniatures Kickstarter campaign on 23 July 2013, and proceeded to utterly school the world of miniatures Kickstarters for the next two months, earning a grand total of $3,429,235 with nearly 18,000 backers, and a place in the record books as one of the 3 highest-grossing Kickstarters of all time, funding more than 1000 times over. It was an astonishing achievement, fuelled by excellent marketing, clever product placement (it included a healthy lump of Pathfinder minis, and had noticeable spikes in funding when each PF-related set/add-on was announced), high quality of miniatures, but most of all, outstanding, staggering, amazing value. The basic Vampire pledge, for $100 plus $25 shipped outside North America, started out with just 30 minis - decent value, but nothing special....

Over the course of two months, however, we followed Mr Bones on his epic journey though the neat tracking image as the offer ballooned to well over 150 minis, some of which were large sizes, as well as some excellent-value add-ons (the highest price, $25 for a GIGANTIC dracolich) up to a mighty total, for the completionist, of more than 300 minis for around $1 each delivered, as well as a nice figure case, and several other promotional items, paint sets, PDFs and so on. Most of the minis are in the flexible white Bones plastic, but several are in translucent coloured plastic, and the promotional Sophie figure (the Reaper succubus mascot) is in white metal, though this could be, and often was, traded in for $25 of other stuff. They also earned enough to move their production (though, not for the Kickstarter, for the ongoing Bones range) out of China and into the USA.

It was a wild, and expensive, ride, and massive numbers of goons received big boxes of white plastic (and paints, and carry cases, and all sorts of other goodies) in the mail over the next couple of months.

Since then, we've followed Mr Bones on his journey through Reaper Bones II: the Return of Mr Bones, Reaper Bones 3: The Search for Mr Bones, and most recently Reaper Bones 4: Mr Bones Epic Adventure, as well as a project in the middle to bring out the CAV line in bonesium too. Although the deals weren't quite as insane as the first time around, many goons still received slightly smaller big boxes of white plastic, while at the same time Reaper refined their production, leading to better quality minis, the addition of some harder plastic terrain, and a delve further into their catalogue, and into the wonderful minds of ace sculptors like Julie Guthrie, to come up with increasingly out there minis for your table.

Also some controversies have popped up, such as the disaster that was shipping for non-US backers of Bones 3 where the prices were sky high and the product did not arrive for anyone before the Bones 4 kickstarter opened (an example, my quite reasonable Bones order for 3 was slightly smaller than for 4, but I paid $179 in shipping for 3, and $28 for 4), and the senior management figure who turned out to be an alt-righter who was allowed to remain with the company after a non-apology over some public facebook posts. Both dented the confidence of many in the brand.

Accordingly, with the delivery date for Bones 4 fast approaching, to move discussion out of the crowdfunding thread and avoid overtaking it entirely yet again (it really doesn't anymore, but still), come one, come all, and discuss your Bones boners in here. And all of Reaper's other awesome stuff as well, should you be so inclined.

A reminder of what's coming in Bones 4

Recommended aerosol spray primers and paints:

Army Painter white and coloured primers
Krylon Dual Paint + Primer
Duplicolor Sandable – slight tackiness possible
Rust-oleam Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x – slight tackiness possible

Problem aerosol spray primers and paints:

Krylon white primer – doesn’t bond, stays tacky
Testors Enamel flat black – stays tacky
Walmart Valu flat white – stays tacky
Krylon Primer red-brown – stays tacky
Citadel spray
Plasti-kote super primer gray - stays tacky, rubs off easily.

Other useful threads/posts:
The Crowdfunding Thread. In case Reaper decide to smash the KS world again (they're currently offering the Clockwork Dragon as a reward for another company's KS, should you feel you need more of those for cheap).
The painting and modelling megathread: Discuss specific painting and modelling questions and post photos of your awesome/cackhanded painted models in there, but since it's mostly populated by Hams you're not likely to get a lot of discussion about your Bones
A great effortpost about Julie Guthrie, of Nethyrmaul fame, here.
Over on the Reaper boards, a user by the name of Wren has written up three useful guides to Bones.
Bones: Frequently Asked Questions - Unofficial!
Bones: The First Coat is the Difference
Bones: Preparation (Glues, Putties, Mould Lines, Etc.)

Show off your giant Bone(r)s here.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

These are the Bones I've painted since the last one closed

A Wraith

Sphinx

Stormwing

Cinder

Barbarians

Goblin Command

Nathavarr

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 29, 2018

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
My order for this KS;

Monsters ($10) x1 (it's the one with the Griffon and Owlbear in, should be $7 but I think they hosed up)
Ghost Pirates ($6) x1 - Avast mateys!
Zombie Dragon ($15) x1 - Cheap as chips for the size
Modern Scenics ($24) x1 - One of the best options, modular scenery is great
We Will Roc You! ($20) x1 - Bought this because I thought I might need it someday, and at this price it's hard to pass up
Argent ($24) x1 - Same for this one
74063 ($6) x3 - I need a bunch of 130mm bases, and GW ones cost a shitload, so these will do nicely.

What I wasn't able to get -

Cave Spider from the Darkreach Expansion $50 set. Tidal Lurker, Zombie Shark and perhaps the Mammoth from the Fan Favourites $50 set. I'll need a find a place to buy them after the KS delivers, so if you're looking to sell any of these, let me know.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm pretty concerned they're gonna get absolutely walloped by the tariffs come January first. Wonder how that'll go down if they are severely affected.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've gotten bones 1-4 now, but my game group and life in general just isn't conducive to any kind of minis gaming. I'll probably keep buying them in hopes that in the future they'll see use with my kids :unsmith:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'm just getting into minis painting and I wish I was around for any of these Kickstarters. What an insane value.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lumbermouth posted:

I'm just getting into minis painting and I wish I was around for any of these Kickstarters. What an insane value.

Bones 5 is supposed to be happening after Bones 4 ships, otherwise the packs can often still be found on ebay, and I think a goon still has some to sell

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm hoping my Bones 4 stuff shows up in February like they plan and isn't delayed until after 'the will of the people' fucks everything up over here in the UK.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I went and ordered:

2017 Core Set
Zombie Dragon
Wraiths
Baba Yaga's Hut
Tree of Despair
Agramon
Rules of Hell
Stygian Barge
74035 x5 (1" round)
74036 x2 (2" round)
74037 x2 (3" round)
74041 x2 (20mm round flat top)
74070 x1 (170mm x 105mm Oval)

Came to a grand total of $250.19, which is just 19 cents over for what I got for a commission so it's coming out of my "play money." Easily the most I've ever thrown at a Kickstarter.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I went pretty light on my Bones 4 order after going nuts with 1 & 3 (which are still in boxes, largely untouched).

Monsters
Ape Attack
Horror
Ghost Pirates
Mossbeard, Treeman
Baba Yaga's Hut
Blacktooth Terror
Fantasy Scenics

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Ravendas posted:

I've gotten bones 1-4 now, but my game group and life in general just isn't conducive to any kind of minis gaming. I'll probably keep buying them in hopes that in the future they'll see use with my kids :unsmith:

They're great for kids. I prime them with white Krylon and my daughter goes at them with watercolors over and over.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've still got a bunch of individual bones stuff socked away, most of the larger stuff is gone but I've still got like, a bunch of greater demons and such.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

They're great for kids. I prime them with white Krylon and my daughter goes at them with watercolors over and over.

That is brilliant.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Painted Goroloth. I noticed on google image search that a lot of people went for purples, so decided to go blue-green with mine

Still shiny because fish are shiny. Got the body colour by airbrushing minitaire oil ghost tint over VMA duck egg green, the fins are minitaire green ghost tint instead, the eyes are blood red ghost tint and then magenta ghost tint, and the spots are VMC fluo yellow over white. Considering dry brushing the dorsal fin edges and filigree when I get back from holiday.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 29, 2018

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Reaper announced a new brand of Bones that will be in production called Bones Black.

Their press release claims that this new type will have:
  • High Detail – Reaper Bones Black holds more detail and is equal to resin or metal
  • Rigid Material – weapons and thin parts are much more rigid and hold their shape, but still flexible enough to withstand constant handling
  • Improved Pigmentation – Reaper Bones Black models are tinted dark grey for ease of painting and viewing
  • Reduced Seam and Shift Lines - produced with high-grade steel molds, Reaper Bones Black models are cleaner, crisper, and require less cleaning

They're offering a Bones Black model each month, that's free for every order of $40 or more, much like past monthly deals. They can also be purchased separately, and this month's model is the Owlbear pictured above.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Slimnoid posted:

Reaper announced a new brand of Bones that will be in production called Bones Black.

Their press release claims that this new type will have:
  • High Detail – Reaper Bones Black holds more detail and is equal to resin or metal
  • Rigid Material – weapons and thin parts are much more rigid and hold their shape, but still flexible enough to withstand constant handling
  • Improved Pigmentation – Reaper Bones Black models are tinted dark grey for ease of painting and viewing
  • Reduced Seam and Shift Lines - produced with high-grade steel molds, Reaper Bones Black models are cleaner, crisper, and require less cleaning

They're offering a Bones Black model each month, that's free for every order of $40 or more, much like past monthly deals. They can also be purchased separately, and this month's model is the Owlbear pictured above.

I just wonder how this will affect the next (?) kickstarter.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I just wonder how this will affect the next (?) kickstarter.

I can only assume that they'll be using Bones Black for any future KS. It'd be dumb of them not to push their new formula as a selling point.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I am all for better plastics. Bones remain one of my least favorites to deal with.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

When will regular consumers be able to purchase individual stuff from the most recent kickstarter?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Given they're still slowly releasing individual stuff from the previous KS (afaik anyway) it'll be a while depending on exactly what you were after.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Start of Bones 4 fulfillment delayed until first week of March, so nothing down here or in the UK until April, probably May

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 27, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Start of Bones 4 fulfillment delayed until first week of March, so nothing down here or in the UK until April, probably May

I can't say I'm surprised there's delays, it just wouldn't be a proper Bones KS without them...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

I can't say I'm surprised there's delays, it just wouldn't be a proper Bones KS without them...

True, though a delay by only a month is pretty small for Reaper.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I painted a pointy eared chap last month, not much, but something. Need to finish the dragon oath I failed in December.

NTRabbit posted:

:dogcited: OATH COMPLETE :dogcited:

Galadanoth, now turned Master Hunter for Kings of War, and test subject for my "LRDG X Fremen" Eastern Kindred Elves.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey all. I'm selling a bunch of nerd poo poo to help my mom cover medical expenses, including the reaper bones 4 stuff. I've got preorders up on ebay, and if you buy the reaper stuff, post in this thread and I'll knock the cost down a good bit for you. Like 155 for the core set, or 75 for the expansions, and shipping is free. Obviously if you've already got them for yourself from the kickstarter that doesn't really apply, but if you missed it it's probably cheaper than other places will sell them for. If you'd like to waive the discount that'd be a big help, but of course isn't obligatory.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cross postin' more bones

NTRabbit posted:

:goatdrugs: OATH COMPLETE :goatdrugs:

Wolf Demon

Boar Demon

Demon Lord of the Undead

Fire Demon

Claiming the challenge for all the fur and scaly hides

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Finished Narthrax earlier this month

Tried to colour wheel my way out of getting stuck on orange. Also I need a bigger and better photobox.

Some kind of half delay with Bones 4 based on 3 big minis, not sure if that impacts rest of world pledges. I think some kind of late May delivery might still be on? I was only half paying attention to the video.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Anyone else get their delivery notice?

I ordered 2 Baba Yaga huts and a tree of woe, so either they got the container issue sorted out or I got lucky.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

I ordered 2 Baba Yaga huts and a tree of woe, so either they got the container issue sorted out or I got lucky.

Not yet. I ordered the core, one of the expansions, and $50 of random other stuff.

I haven't even played D&D or anything using these models in 5 years. And I already have $200 of stuff from each of the other bones kickstarters. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Which region are you?

I'm in the US and have not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They're not starting us shipments until April 8th.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Canada.

I just got it. The material is different. More grey and rigid. I like it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Got mine today in the GTA. I forget what I bought, but it's a proper heavy box.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I think this KS might have finally cured me.

The giants seem smaller. I will have to compare them to earlier giants to be sure. The tree of woe also seems a bit undersized from what I was expecting.

I misorded an item and added skeletal monsters. Oh well.

I now have so many goddamned minis I can't ever imagine needing more. It might happen that I will look into getting more, but at that point its a mental illness, not a hobby.

The grey bones material leaves gaps that will need filling. Not a huge problem, but just another thing to deal with.

Not upset (except for the skeletons) with this order, but I really should just stop.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 4, 2019

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Are they all the new "Bones Black" or whatever it's called, or is it just selected models with the rest in the traditional Bonesium? (he asked, as if he wouldn't be getting his own ridiculous pile of plastic guilt in probably a month)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Are they all the new "Bones Black" or whatever it's called, or is it just selected models with the rest in the traditional Bonesium? (he asked, as if he wouldn't be getting his own ridiculous pile of plastic guilt in probably a month)

No they aren’t bones black, but they are different from the original white bones material. Slightly grey and a bit more rigid. "Traditional" bonesium has changed.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 4, 2019

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

No they aren’t bones black, but they are different from the original white bones material. Slightly grey and a bit more rigid. "Traditional" bonesium has changed.

Oh, so a bit more like the not-Starcraft spacemans they had in Bones 3, then. Thanks!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

other countries are getting their stuff before america?!?

you better believe ill be discussing this with the president on twitter tonight

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I got my Wave 1 package yesterday. I have so many loving goblins now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mine shipped, arriving Thursday.

Figure I'll let my kids open them up and play with them for a bit, then ??????? I still haven't separated and put my Bones3 minis away yet.