Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ravendas posted:

Mine shipped, arriving Thursday.

Figure I'll let my kids open them up and play with them for a bit, then ??????? Pledge for Bones 5. Coming soon.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I'm in on wave 1, but because I ordered the Tree of Despair and Baba Yaga's Hut, I don't even know if I'll get a notification in the next week or so. :sigh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mine are on a container ship somewhere in the Pacific with no ETA, on their way to Aetherworks

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I'm a wave two. I don't even know why they do waves anymore.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Thoughts:

I really like the new material. It's a lot more rigid, there's a lot less bendy swords. The grey color shows detail better, and the material seems to allow more detailed miniatures. It's very nice.

I don't know if it's a side effect of the new material or what, but the vast majority of the minis require assembly. I don't suppose I mind, but it's surprising how many of these fairly basic dudes are in pieces on sprues.

I have so loving many goblins now. There are 33 goblins in the core set. With what I already had if I want to set up an encounter with 45 goblins I can do that now. I absolutely do not want to do that. About half the goblins I already had were really lovely sculpts from Bones I or something, and the new ones are way nicer so I guess I'll replace them.

Argent the silver dragon is loving huge. Like, probably too big to actually use for an RPG mini. The detail seems to suffer a little from the size, too. It's a neat statue, but I actually use my minis in games so I sort of regret purchasing it instead of another expansion set or something. I'm going to need to get an airbrush or some spraypaint or something for him, there's no way I'm doing this giant fucker with even my largest regular brushes.

I really, really like the Roc. I'm probably going to paint it as a phoenix. The mammoth god in the Lost Valley set is huge and oddly came fully assembled, he is also very cool. Lost Valley also included five female orcs which was surprising, but cool. They were blacked out on the kickstarter image, so I didn't know they'd be orcs. I really appreciate Reaper offering a lot of female minis since my gaming group is mostly women, but I do wish they were a bit less cheesecake.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My order came in today, and I'm pretty happy with it. I went piecemeal this time, grabbing the Horror set, the Villagers set, Fantasy Scenics and a paint set. They sent me both paint sets instead of the one I ordered, which I'm not going to complain about.

Outside of the normal bending issues, everything is really cool. I haven't picked up many bones since the first kickstarter since I got so many then, but the new material seems to be a lot more detailed than the ones I remembered. The terrain is very cool and looks easy to build, although I'm not really looking forward to straightening the really large pieces.

edit: I was a wave 5 but I'm like 4 hours from Reaper HQ

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My 4 year old and nearly 2 year old are walking around the house now, each with a were-crocodile. They're big fans of that one.

But yeah, previous bones projects had a few multipart things, most of the heroes and humanoids were single piece, or pre-glued. This time, I'm absolutely amazed at the pile of bags and sprues I have to cut and assemble. Feels like at least half of them require assembly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My bones arrived.

87 pounds of miniatures. My god.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mine too, but substantially fewer.

Good lord, man.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Captain Invictus posted:

My bones arrived.

87 pounds of miniatures. My god.

You re-sell stuff thought right? Much less shame in 87 pounds of product.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mine was only 12 lbs, I feel like such a beta

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I got my stuff over the weekend and I have a few thoughts:

1- this new material is great. It doesn't look as dark as their new "Bones Black" formula (unless I'm mistaken and these are all Blacks), but it's slightly grayer and has a ton more detail.

2- I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these little gargoyle and orb pawns from the Core Set. Maybe prototype some bizarre micro abstract game?

3- the triceratops with a blaster is the best part of a fantastic expansion and I'm so glad I pulled the trigger for the Chronoscape box.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Feelin' a bit jealous/anxious knowing that my package is sitting on my front porch right now getting rained on :(

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Got my box in yesterday. I'm still sorting through stuff, but thoughts so far:

• The new material is a bit firmer than the usual Bones set. Not as much warped stuff.
  • THAT SAID the Stygian Barge's smaller aspects are pretty warped. Some of the support beams are askew, and the railings are going to need to be reshaped.
  • Also the barge is massive. I don't know how I'm going to assemble this thing, never mind paint it. I'm honestly thrilled at the challenge.
  • The zombie dragon is a lot smaller than anticipated. It's probably closer to size to the old GW metal dragons circa WHFB 6th edition, if a touch smaller. Not a bad thing, just an observation.
  • Rulers of Hell have a lot of parts to them.
  • Agramon is a chunky boy that can't stand up on his base without glue. He's also got too many hands to choose from and I don't know which one to choose, they all look cool.
  • Tree of Despair is...a tree. Smaller than anticipated, but still suitably large for a D&D game or skirmish-level stuff. You could easily turn the spare 'victim' into some sort of floating possessed enemy.
  • The core set is so packed full that I'm afraid to open it for fear of being :can:'d in the face.

I'll be taking photos at some point over the next day, once I've got them sorted.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I trimmed and glued basically everything from the core set, plus an expansion.

I like that they have the pieces slot together better, with big and deep connections at times to really make them strong. It's great.

Though, some of the sprues connect to the models in really bad places. Like, the side of a head or face. Why would you have it connect to a spot that gets a lot of attention, and can't be smoothed away easily with an xacto? Some of them are connected to hair, which means you have the hair texture, and then a flat bit where you trimmed the sprue off and shaved it down.

It's mostly good though, just a few annoying ones.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

• THAT SAID the Stygian Barge's smaller aspects are pretty warped. Some of the support beams are askew, and the railings are going to need to be reshaped.
  • Also the barge is massive. I don't know how I'm going to assemble this thing, never mind paint it. I'm honestly thrilled at the challenge.
I love the barge, despite its minor deformities. I'm already trying to decide what magnets to put into it for storage and transit.

A couple of things from my own kit:
  • Blacksting the Wyvern is a surprisingly simple build and absolutely gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of Julie Guthrie, and the level of detail this piece preserves from her sculpt gives me a lot of hope for the rest of the Bones line in the future.
  • Couple of warnings about Baba Yaga's Hut: the hanging cage has a really flimsy connection where the chain meets the cage roof; I've already snapped mine off at that point. Superglue may not be completely effective as a fix; you might want to consider running a wire and drilling into the cage to hold it.
  • Also, the Hut's chicken legs do not come off. :(

Really looking forward to (hopefully) less time slicing off mold lines and boiling/icing miniatures, and more time actually painting. :dance:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Also, the Hut's chicken legs do not come off. :(

Aww, that's a shame. I was hoping they would so I could surprise players in D&D or something...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

So! An unboxing, of sorts.

Warning: lots of images, and somewhat large image size. Mostly to preserve detail for the curious.

The full spread. I kept the core box contents inside for the time being. I uh, ran out of ziplock bags distressingly quickly.

Stygian Barge, in separate bags and partially assembled. It's very long, probably 15" if I'd hazard a guess.

Zombie dragon. Like I said, he's kind of small, but I like it. You could probably fit a rider on the back if you're using it for a wargame like KoW.

:kimchi:

Baba Yaga's hut. It's heavy and unfortunately, pre-assembled. I wouldn't normally mind this, but you see...

There's some big gaps that are going to be a bitch to fill in.

Wraiths. Simple, effective, would make for a good stand-in for Nazgūl for LotR.

Agramon. Like I said, lots of hands!

Tree of Despair. The base is slightly warped in that it doesn't sit level with a desk or anything, so some reshaping may be needed.

Rulers of Hell. They come with some hilariously tiny bases.

Core box set. It's got some cute designs on it, but you can see why I haven't popped open and gone through the contents. That'd be a whole afternoon to sort through and since I took these shots in the break room, I wasn't going to get into it today.

Zark the Damned posted:

Aww, that's a shame. I was hoping they would so I could surprise players in D&D or something...

I'm lead to believe that it's been heat bonded or something, so prying the legs off is going to be a pain. The ol' freezer trick might work, but I can't say for certain.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

Agramon. Like I said, lots of hands!

Hey, play your cards right and you could do a reenactment of Fistface the Giant!

(apologies to Bad Munki from like 6 years ago)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That Skelly looks like he's having an amazing ride on his new sled :skeltal:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

Baba Yaga's hut. It's heavy and unfortunately, pre-assembled. I wouldn't normally mind this, but you see...

There's some big gaps that are going to be a bitch to fill in.

Just got my bones in today. My hut doesn't have any gaps like that, the assembly is nice and tight. The only weirdness is the inset for hanging the little skelly cage seems to be under the left front porch which seems wrong.

his feets can touch the ground what kind of punishment cage is that

Beautiful piece though, may just do it first and put it on a nice base. After moving the skelly up to hang from the rafter, properly.

Really having a good time opening these up checking them, also pretty pleased with the quality of the new material. It feels firmer in the hand and the base gray is good I think. The Lord of the Jungle specifically states that it's "Bones Black" but the other boxes don't seem to say that, so maybe not?

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 6, 2019

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

So! I assembled Gauth, the Big Boy from the Core set.

I ended up having to pin his tail to the base. He's very, VERY top-heavy thanks to the wings, and so his weak ankle support causes him to slowly lean forward until he's basically kissing the ground. With the tail where it is now, he's remained upright for a couple of days with no additional pinning or support needed, so I call that a win. Keep that in mind if you're looking to counter-weight him yourself.

Tiny dwarf knows where the dragon is.

And a comparison shot with all the other Bones dragons I have assembled so far. Sheer wing span means he's taller than Nethyrmaul, but even discounting that he's bigger than the converted Kyra & Lavarath model. Dude's an absolute unit of a model.

Edit: pieces before assembly. Not many, and it all fits together well enough.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 7, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Improved Bones material looks great, and I feel like I should give them another try!

Also really want the Baba Yaga hut just as a nice little ramshackle cottage.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Anyone else have trouble gluing bones 4?

Either I have 2 busted superglue bottles (new gorilla and older loctite one) or these part just don't glue together.

I'm doing the barge and even the smaller parts don't seem to stick.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

My Bones 4 turned up, looking forward to getting stuff put together. Pity the legs are already glued on, but my Baba Yaga hut looks to be well assembled and doesn't need much filling. My T-Rex is going to need some hot water though, the back plate doesn't quite fit properly.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

adhuin posted:

Anyone else have trouble gluing bones 4?

Either I have 2 busted superglue bottles (new gorilla and older loctite one) or these part just don't glue together.

I'm doing the barge and even the smaller parts don't seem to stick.

Did you wash the parts with warm soapy water first? There might be some release agent still on them.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

So how are people finding this new material? It definitely doesn't seem to like cyanoacrylate both for gluing to the provided bases and for assembly of multi part models. I just did some with plastic cement and it seems to be going well. Spray primed a bunch as well without the tackiness of the old material.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Update: painting on Stynylrez white did not work at all. Didn't want to stick and the wash I put over it wiped right off after taking a very long time to dry.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Kind of worrisome hearing people say paint not sticking, it was one of my favorite parts about the original Bones material.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arthil posted:

Kind of worrisome hearing people say paint not sticking, it was one of my favorite parts about the original Bones material.

Paint not sticking has been a bugbear of every Bones mini I've pained since Bones 2, they've never been good at holding paint for me if you handle them any rougher than kid gloves. I've never had it wipe right off like paint onto unwashed resin though.

DadJokeGenerator
Feb 15, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Mine are on a container ship somewhere in the Pacific with no ETA, on their way to Aetherworks

Aetherworks delivered mine on Friday. Haven't had a chance to sort through it yet. The new material used looks a lot better than the old stuff.

Cat Face Joe posted:

So how are people finding this new material? It definitely doesn't seem to like cyanoacrylate both for gluing to the provided bases and for assembly of multi part models. I just did some with plastic cement and it seems to be going well. Spray primed a bunch as well without the tackiness of the old material.

Which primer did you use? I was going to grab a few excess bits and test them after seeing the flyer state 'WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF AEROSOL BASED PRIMERS'. AK Fine Black has been my go to for the previous Bones minis.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aetherworks delivered mine today. New material seems much better, though yet to look at a human sized mini.

Somehow everything is bigger than I expected it would be. The Roc is enormous, and I've seen pet dogs smaller than the Argent Dragon.

I think I may have enough Bones now.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I haven't painted any of the KS4 bones yet, but I always washed them with warm soapy water and a toothbrush first, rinse them really well, let them dry off, then give them an undercoat of 50/50 watered down Reaper brown liner. This did pre-shading, and brown liner's formulation sticks really well to bones material, and other paint sticks really well to it.

I never had a problem with paint scraping off after I did that. Just painting straight onto bones though, there's a little bit of tension that pulls the paint back a little bit. That went away after I started doing the brown liner thing.

Hope it works well on the newer stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

While somethings are huge (Roc, Mossbeard, amazing Dragon Turtle, Argent Dragon, Stygian Barge, Skeletal Dragon, T-Rex) some other things came out far smaller than I was expecting, particularly the zombie shark which is only 8cm or so long, the mammoth (claimed to be huge on the campign) which is slightly smaller than the mid sized Deezee one on my shelf, and the Burrowing Behemoth and Gloomstalker are about 2-3cm shorter than I'd hoped. Warchief Mumlak on the other hand is twice the size of the non anthropomorphic mammoth.

Material holds detail a lot better though, all the small minis have faces with distinct features and everything. Very little heat warping too.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Local store was selling some Bones Black models and I grabbed the Ogre Chieftain. It's pretty good! Nice rope, fur and wood textures on it. No warping at all, but it is pretty chunky, so I don't know how much it would've warped in older material.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

First minis from Bones 4 painted

NTRabbit posted:

:hist101: OATH COMPLETE :hist101:

Statues that you can walk past and ignore because they are totally not alive

Claiming I don't know whether the weather will be nice - heavy damage for the verdigris added to the cracked versions to really sell the old and weathered

I think my budget marble turned out ok

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Got a recipe for that marble? I have a set of statues I want to do like that.

Also, has anyone else had issue with their Baba Yaga hut not supporting itself? When mine first arrived it was fine but the other day I noticed it had fallen over and now won't stand any more, my best guess is the summer heat has softened the bones just enough that the legs have bent under its weight.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

I think my budget marble turned out ok
I really like it and now I wish I'd bought more of those.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Thanks! :buddy: I made it up on the fly, and it's super budget - all I did was take my very watery bottle of Vallejo White Primer, brush it onto the grey plastic, which resulted in a typically uneven finish of little bits of solid white surrounded by grades of translucent white, and then wash liberally with Agrax Earthshade. The rest is AK True Metal Copper wax based paint, and Nihilakh Oxide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Finished Baba Yaga's hut after much exertion. The old witch herself is still in progress, but at least she's not homeless.