Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ignore me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone have a picture of a wooden-roofed lodge, hall or chapel viewed top-down that I could paste into a map?

Edit: Nevermind, I found one.

NotNut fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 26, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

NotNut posted:

Does anyone have a picture of a wooden-roofed lodge, hall or chapel viewed top-down that I could paste into a map?

Edit: Nevermind, I found one.

You can also sign up for Forgotten Adventures and they have a LOT of assets that's easy to use, especially in CSP.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I semi recently got into Mini Collecting for D&D games. It’s pretty expensive if you’re aiming to get a lots of them. My campaign case lets me bypass a lot of the less important things at least. I hope the 3D VTT works well on Phones, I really like visual elements and that would probably be cheaper. (I also want to hear more about it)

Also Free Beyond Adventure today.
https://www.dndbeyond.com/claim/source/descent-into-tsojcanth

It’s the first part of the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth with Tournament Scoring included.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I have a bunch of toys and other little things for D&D minis. Some bought for a specific purpose, some just collected. Dollar stores, thrift stores, flea markets, etc are all good sources. Clearance sections of toy and novelty places can also have some fun stuff, a local drugstore was selling some Yu-Go-Oh minis for almost nothing so now I have some weird bugs, a four eyed beluga whale, and a sci-fi centaur as minis.

Some I attach bases to, I've found that Pringles lids are perfect large size bases and nuts come in containers with perfect huge (or maybe gargantuan, not sure ATM) bases.

Sometimes you can find neat art or symbols on plastic cards, like hotel keys and membership cards, and cut those down to size. If you want mono colors go raid your local hardware store for paint swatch cards.

I also got some cheap bugs in resin that were made into jewellery that are perfect for giant insects.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have a 3D resin printer originally for Warhammer 40,000 that I was able to repurpose to making miniatures for a D&D campaign that runs 8-10 play sessions start to finish. They're super cool for producing things for this exact situation. Cost me about $20 for a new bottle of resin. A week or so on and off finding the models I wanted then printing them and I've got everything for that campaign in one box ready to go with models customized to look almost exactly how I wanted them to look. I even make customized character models for each player that they can keep if they want. Friend at work primes and paints his minis for his campaigns but I reserve my painting time for my 40k armies.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I got into sculpting minis. I'm really bad at it but after the initial investment it's fairly cheap-ish and i found a really fun new tactile hobby.

apart from making all the PCs (twice for two of them who had major changes) i only sculpt for boss fights and very major npcs otherwise i'd have no free time at all

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really thought we were killing it in Tomb and then tonight I picked up the cursed skull

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Of fun!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
There is no winning in the Tomb, only surviving.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm a little spoiled on the tomb so I'm going to punt him directly into the anti-magic field as soon as we find it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I got a 3D printer wanting to make minis but it was such a pain I ended up giving away the printer. Whenever my finances improve I might invest in a resin printer if its a lot less hassle in the actual printing? Things like clogging, under extruding, over extruding, needing to baby sit it, etc.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How hard is it to convert old dnd adventures to 5th edition

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

I think pretty hard, if you're trying to do something 1:1, most encounters might need to be reworked and you might need to do re-checks on anything that's like "A DC 10 Investigation check reveals..."

But plots, story beats, dungeon layouts are probably fine. Traps would fall under an Encounter for what I said above.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Thats disappointing. I haven't really found a company that does old dnd modules for fifith.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Depends on the edition. 2nd converts to 5e fairly straightforwardly once you fix thaco.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Counterpoint: I've found it fairly simple. Any time there's a skill check, make the skill and DC make sense for 5e; any time there's combat, build an appropriate-difficulty encounter. I'm using an old module for my current campaign, and it generally takes less than half an hour per session to make the changes, though I'm pretty used to it by now.

Alternately, there are, I think, literally hundreds of 5e conversions on DriveThruRPG/DMsGuild.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Counterpoint: I've found it fairly simple. Any time there's a skill check, make the skill and DC make sense for 5e; any time there's combat, build an appropriate-difficulty encounter. I'm using an old module for my current campaign, and it generally takes less than half an hour per session to make the changes, though I'm pretty used to it by now.

Alternately, there are, I think, literally hundreds of 5e conversions on DriveThruRPG/DMsGuild.

Oh so there are old modules for fifth converted?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I got a 3D printer wanting to make minis but it was such a pain I ended up giving away the printer. Whenever my finances improve I might invest in a resin printer if its a lot less hassle in the actual printing? Things like clogging, under extruding, over extruding, needing to baby sit it, etc.

sla/resin is way better for miniatures but if you found fdm to be a chore, you're not gonna like sla printing. fdm printers have come a long way now tho, theyre basically plug and play. but with resin, the post processing is a lot more labour intensive and messy

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

There are even some that have been done officially.

Tales from the Yawning Portal are all adventures from previous edition. Maybe Saltmarsh is too?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

sla/resin is way better for miniatures but if you found fdm to be a chore, you're not gonna like sla printing. fdm printers have come a long way now tho, theyre basically plug and play. but with resin, the post processing is a lot more labour intensive and messy

Yeah, I have a few manufacturers bookmarked and anytime I think about printing something, tend to check what plastic, molded resin, or metal minis are equivalent and decide if I want to bother printing or not.

I did one print run of 15mm vikings and decided I'd rather deal with awful web interfaces and long wait times for some metal ones instead. Same with some skeletons that I'll grab from like Wargames Atlantic.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Goodman Games converted quite a few of the old B/X adventures into Fifth.

I wouldn't exactly call them affordable, but if you really don't want to put in the work of converting Castle Amber yourself, they will have you covered.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

Goodman Games converted quite a few of the old B/X adventures into Fifth.

I wouldn't exactly call them affordable, but if you really don't want to put in the work of converting Castle Amber yourself, they will have you covered.

Yeah I went to their website and didn't see them on there at all.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

if you have the 5e rules fully integrated into your subconscious it’s pretty easy. i converted Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) to 5e and it was only really difficult to grid out the maps

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I only started DMing in 5e, but I'm planning a Shadowfell-themed campaign and went back to look at old adventures for inspiration. Is it just me, or is modern D&D really lacking in dungeons? Keep on the Shadowfell has like a 3-story dungeon as the climax and I remember being disappointed that Avernus battlemaps were usually empty buildings with 4 guys in them.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I went to their website and didn't see them on there at all.

They are sadly out of print as their deal with Wizards ended.

As mentioned earlier some older adventurers have already been converted to 5e in some anthology books.

Tales from the Yawning Portal contains the Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamochan, White Plume Mountain, Dead in Thay, Against the Giants, and Tomb of Horrors.
Ghosts of Saltmarsh contains the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater, Salvage Operation,
Isle of the Abbey, The Final Enemy, Tammeraut’s Fate, and the Styes.

The upcoming book Quests from the Infinite Staircase contains another 6.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
There's also a bunch of Reddit threads and forum posts devoted to converting old adventures. It generally seems pretty doable to me, though of course it's a subjective assessment. If you're comfortable with setting skill checks and developing level-appropriate combats then adapting story beats from previous editions is useful and not too hard. The trick, probably, is to simply take the broad strokes from an adventure rather than trying to make it an exact replica. Save yourself time trying to translate the precise stats and instead think "ok this is a Hard encounter with a wizard and orcs" and then use a generator like Kobold Fight Club to figure out the details.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 27, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yusin posted:

They are sadly out of print as their deal with Wizards ended.

As mentioned earlier some older adventurers have already been converted to 5e in some anthology books.

Tales from the Yawning Portal contains the Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamochan, White Plume Mountain, Dead in Thay, Against the Giants, and Tomb of Horrors.
Ghosts of Saltmarsh contains the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater, Salvage Operation,
Isle of the Abbey, The Final Enemy, Tammeraut’s Fate, and the Styes.

The upcoming book Quests from the Infinite Staircase contains another 6.

Okay I'll look for those thanks! I wanted ghosts of saltmarsh.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How easy is it to get things 3D printed from a blender design?

I ask mostly because those peeples posted on the other page look like a great idea, but they're just ever so slightly off-scale, and the UK delivery is almost as much as the things themselves.

What I want to do is design a basic sort of shape (like the peeples), and then scale it up so I have one for 2x2 humanoids and 3x3 as well. Then make a similar beast shaped one at 2x1 and 2x2, and maybe one at 3x3 at well. Then order a few of each as needed. Just have a set of basic stand-ins that are about the right size and shape to use as proxies for pretty much anything.

I am confident I could probably make the shapes in blender, but how much work is it to turn something like that into a 3D printable object?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bobby Deluxe posted:

How easy is it to get things 3D printed from a blender design?

I ask mostly because those peeples posted on the other page look like a great idea, but they're just ever so slightly off-scale, and the UK delivery is almost as much as the things themselves.

What I want to do is design a basic sort of shape (like the peeples), and then scale it up so I have one for 2x2 humanoids and 3x3 as well. Then make a similar beast shaped one at 2x1 and 2x2, and maybe one at 3x3 at well. Then order a few of each as needed. Just have a set of basic stand-ins that are about the right size and shape to use as proxies for pretty much anything.

I am confident I could probably make the shapes in blender, but how much work is it to turn something like that into a 3D printable object?

From Blender it's pretty easy. One of the options in Blender is to export it as an .stl file. With that file format there are programs that translates file types into a language that the different types of 3D printers understand, the programs are called "slicers". I assume you have someone else doing the printing and they will have whichever slicer they need for their own printer. Give that person the .stl file and they can most likely figure it out from there on their own.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815

3D printing thread for any other questions you might have in case this thread gets annoyed.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
back in my day we had to learn how to make an armature and push Kneadatite in order to make miniatures and I am sickened that things are more convenient now

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I designed and printed some meeples with letters on them for generic use, I'll link them when thingiverse is easier to access

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you're a stickler for scale you almost need to do everything on your own for scratch anyways. Maps are 1:60 but WiKids use 1:56 for their minis, and I doubt they're even consistent with that. I scaled some minis from mz4250 and a tiefling scaled to be six feet tall at 1:60 and he was barely bigger than an official halfling mini.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 27, 2024

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Hey, anyone got some suggestions for tokens that would be used for visual aids for a in real life game. Seems more affordable than miniatures. Unless there's some super cheap miniatures out there.

The creator of "Order of the Stick" published a lot of PDFs full of foldable minis that you can print out and weight with coins. It's worked very well for us for things like hordes of skeletons.

https://richburlew.gumroad.com/

Scroll down to the "Monster for Every Season" section.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I didn’t find those kits at Ollie’s but I did get some cool minis so if you have an Ollie’s near you it might be worth stopping in now and again for DnD stuff.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Here's my J, K, L, M, & N tokens in Tinkercad.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/giundrpxB32-tok-jklmn

I never thought anyone would want to use them so they're not organized or even all set to public. I have large and tiny ones as well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What are some good rare magic weapons in 5e that try to ask my DM to let me have a gun version o? It's a level 12 character, so Beserker Axe is tempting to really double down on hp.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Flame Tongue, because then you can have a flaming gun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fifth edition magic items are mid.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Derringer of Many Things, on a hit the creature suffers the effect of drawing a card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Morrow posted:

Flame Tongue, because then you can have a flaming gun.

Or a tongue gun, no thank you.

e: gungue??