Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Well it's February and nothing every happens in February. I guess we might be lucky enough to see another Doomsday Clock comic. Or not. Meh. Or maybe an X-Men comic that has the X-Men do X-Men things. They do that in February it seems. I guess it's my brother's birthday in February so at least one person likes February.
Anyway, here is a February thread to talk about things that will have no importance because it is February - the most meh-est month of the year.

Alright, I kind of jumped the gun a little bit here and made a thread without looking at historical context (and instead just looking at the miserable weather outside.
That being said, February isn't all bad (weather notwithstanding) and it is black history month so in regards to that I recommend the following:

March which tells the story of John Lewis and the civil rights movement. Beyond being an excellent autobiography the book is really excellent at telling the history of the civil rights movement in the USA and the amount of poo poo people had to go through just to be heard. At times heart wrenching and at times inspiring, I really recommend this one (or 3) to anyone who cares about history and social justice.

Inconegro tells the story of a black man with light skin who goes undercover in the deep south to investigate a series of lynchings. Due to his skin colour he is able to get into areas others can't and his discoveries are startling. Part murder mystery, part historical fiction this is also a great read for lovers of any of those genres.

King has been in my library for years and sadly it was stolen before I had a chance to get to read it but from all I have heard about it, it is really worth your time to pick up (and I should do that too).

Anyway, there are some graphic novels for this month. There are tons more and I didn't even get into the folks like the creators of Milestone Comics (including Dwayne McDuffie, Dennys Cowan) or the characters like Black Panther, Black Lightening, Static, Luke Cage, Misty Knight, Mr. Terrific who have become part of the mainstream comic book universe.

So again my deepest apologies, and mods please change the the thread title to something more appropriate like February is Black history month so not a meh month at all and Madkal is an idiot.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

While it's still the 31st in some parts of the world, happy birthday, Grant Morrison!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's it like in the future

Do they not do black history month anymore

site fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 31, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Frick. I saw the old January thread get unsticky and thought it was February already (because I don't like calendars really) and also forgot that February is black history month.
In regards to all that I will make some changes to this thread immediately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

I mean, in 2019, I wouldn't be shocked if the Nazis running the country get rid of it.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, in 2019, I wouldn't be shocked if the Nazis running the country get rid of it.

Agreed. We're literally talking about people who don't want you to have a day off to vote.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's also the official month of love and romance, so all you Punch & Jewelee fans can crawl out of the woodwork at long last. And of course we can't forget that February is National Bird-Feeding Month, so please stand up and salute that one New Mutants issue where Bird Brain demands hamburgers in the most loathsome way possible:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

March which tells the story of John Lewis and the civil rights movement. Beyond being an excellent autobiography the book is really excellent at telling the history of the civil rights movement in the USA and the amount of poo poo people had to go through just to be heard. At times heart wrenching and at times inspiring, I really recommend this one (or 3) to anyone who cares about history and social justice.

I can't believe you recommended March in February.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

I can't believe you recommended March in February.

Just like nightmare before christmas it is a piece of media that can be shown on two separate occasions (but really, just read it any time of year)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I appreciated the Major Bummer OP. As a Mask comic fan I need the reminder to finally read it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I appreciated the Major Bummer OP. As a Mask comic fan I need the reminder to finally read it.

It is collected in one convenient book* too

Holy poo poo, $200!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nice, time to sell mine

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Nice, time to sell mine

Looks like on the American amazon site it is only $24 and on the Canadian site its $200 so time to start stocking up on MB in the States and sell them on the black market in Canada.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I got it digitally ages ago. Just need to pull it out of the backlog.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Looks like on the American amazon site it is only $24 and on the Canadian site its $200 so time to start stocking up on MB in the States and sell them on the black market in Canada.

Trades for more obscure books are printed in such low quantities that they tend to bump into the ugly end of automatic pricing algorithms for Amazon marketplace. Sometimes it's accurate, but a lot of the times it's just that there's only one or two copies of the book up for sale with the prices constantly bumping upward.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Random Stranger posted:

Trades for more obscure books are printed in such low quantities that they tend to bump into the ugly end of automatic pricing algorithms for Amazon marketplace. Sometimes it's accurate, but a lot of the times it's just that there's only one or two copies of the book up for sale with the prices constantly bumping upward.

Canada is its own special hell because Amazon made it "easy" to cross list across platforms, but most merchants don't actually bother to set real prices in mx/ca/jp and instead just double their us prices and if a sale happens, hey bonus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ryan North is onto us... :ninja:

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1091090486545301505

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Let's be fair. Does Canada really need Manitoba?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/1090903799080935424?s=19
https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1090906283132289024?s=19

Hmmm

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You joke, but once climate change starts cutting into corporate profits, the US will absolutely take other countries' land. The only question is if cowardly governments like Canada will try to resist and have it taken by force or just give it away like they've been doing with all our water.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/vincentdonofrio/status/1091141711458373632

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dammit i just came to post that

The Kingpin has spoken

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Last month I recommended the TMNT boardgame kickstarter as a cheap way to get the comics - turns out they saw through that loophole pretty quickly and you only get the digital comics if you're backing at least one of the boxes ($125). So just thought i'd post to make it clear, just in case.

You should all read the IDW TMNT comic though, it's great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MrFlibble posted:

Last month I recommended the TMNT boardgame kickstarter as a cheap way to get the comics - turns out they saw through that loophole pretty quickly and you only get the digital comics if you're backing at least one of the boxes ($125). So just thought i'd post to make it clear, just in case.

You should all read the IDW TMNT comic though, it's great.

Yeah it owns. I feel like the original writers had a different vision for it than what it ended up being, but on the whole it's the true successor to the original Mirage comic in my mind.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I finished the part of Miller's Daredevil run that I was available to me - ending with the Russian Roulette issue - but now I am stuck since I was planning to follow it with Born Again, Love & War and The Man Without Fear before going towards Bendis but Born Again is currently out of print and all resellers are scalping it which leaves me stuck.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's available digitally on Amazon.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I don't read that many comic books so I still prefer them physical

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Check your library then maybe. At the very worst they should be able to get an intra-library loan.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Check your library then maybe. At the very worst they should be able to get an intra-library loan.

drat you as this is my suggestion too. Libraries are great and should be able to help you out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
No libraries anywhere near my home and I don't think they do this intra-library connection. Frankly, I've never been in one, so rare that they are.

Reading this I did go around looking around other websites for selling used stuff and found someone in my state selling an edition of Born Again from another publisher, so I'm meeting with him tomorrow.

If I never show up again, bury me with my money.

1833Marine
May 7, 2006

YAT YAS
https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/daredevil-born-again-tp.html

Here’s an instock born again for $12. I’ve ordered from these guys in the past and have always been really happy with the service.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Samuringa posted:

No libraries anywhere near my home

Thomas Jefferson weeps.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Samuringa posted:

No libraries anywhere near my home and I don't think they do this intra-library connection. Frankly, I've never been in one, so rare that they are.

Reading this I did go around looking around other websites for selling used stuff and found someone in my state selling an edition of Born Again from another publisher, so I'm meeting with him tomorrow.

If I never show up again, bury me with my money.

You've never been in a library? Not to pry, but where on earth do you live?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This funko pop thing has gone too far.

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1092107671707168770?s=19

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Archyduchess posted:

You've never been in a library? Not to pry, but where on earth do you live?

Rio. Not the good part of it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

i hope that becomes real

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Who put Deadpool in charge of Funko Pop production?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wish heroes were real so they could save us from Tom Brady and bill belichick

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Blech, football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Born Again: Extremely amused by summer wear Kingpin