Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

I would actually need one of those for Straczynski

I've always assumed it was pronounced like the composer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I learned something there.
I always pronounced DeMatteis as De-mah-tay-es in my head

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 12, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I would actually need one of those for Straczynski

IIRC, he put a pronunciation guide in his USENET signature.

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the replies to the tweet, DeMatteis says he prefers the pronunciation you were using.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Weird, that's how I always read it but I always assumed the "c" was supposed to do something and I was screwing it up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dunno if this would be better of here or the indie thread but in case anyone's interested

https://twitter.com/01FirstSecond/status/1095486085038305280

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I always appreciate that Bill Sienkiewicz's twitter handle is a phonetic pronunciation of his last name.

https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That cover got me excited to read Mooncakes but then I looked it up and it's not actually about cooking. Why are there no American comics about cooking?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there was, i wanna say boom?? series that came out last year that was about a girl who works in a bakery but i cant think of the name

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gripweed posted:

Why are there no American comics about cooking?

I beg your pardon?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's guy goodbody trying to find something to bitch about wrt western comics and their clear inferiority to manga

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
when will we see the most powerful comic, the volleyball-cooking manga

e: was only 4 issues i guess but this is what i was thinking of

https://shop.boom-studios.com/series/detail/613/brave-chef-brianna

site fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 13, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I thought Space Battle Lunchtime had made up sci fi food? Flavor looks interesting though

Alaois posted:

it's guy goodbody trying to find something to bitch about wrt western comics and their clear inferiority to manga

Hey, two GNs and two limited series isn't that much. I think it's reasonable that most of them flew under my radar

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my customers self published a book about an ice cream shop when she was 15. I will see if she is okay with me putting pages up here.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I KNOW I've heard him referred to on enough podcasts as DAY-muh-TAY-us. But when I was a kid reading JLI who didn't know any better, I called him De-MATTY-us.

Gripweed posted:

Why are there no American comics about cooking?

There's also Chew, which is about eating first and foremost, but cooking is very important to the plot as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Seconds, by Bryan Lee O'Malley is about a chef and most of it takes place in restaurants, but it's not really about cooking.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do comics about cannibals count?

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
There's Wonton Soup by James Stokoe. It has cooking AND trucking!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1095346247727177729?s=19

Kleptocracy
Feb 18, 2011

FABRICATI DIEM PVNC
Hope I'm asking in the right place. I've been gone from comics for a few years. Any good podcasts, preferably Big Two-centric and fun? I seem to only find podcasts that are either singularly focused on that week's pullbox or mostly interviews, when I'd really like something that delves a bit more into publishing history and specific characters.

I've listened to a few eps of Journey Into Misery, which would be kinda what I'm looking for if they had better recording equipment and the main host didn't mumble so much. Hard to hear on my noisy commute to work.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kleptocracy posted:

Hope I'm asking in the right place. I've been gone from comics for a few years. Any good podcasts, preferably Big Two-centric and fun? I seem to only find podcasts that are either singularly focused on that week's pullbox or mostly interviews, when I'd really like something that delves a bit more into publishing history and specific characters.

I've listened to a few eps of Journey Into Misery, which would be kinda what I'm looking for if they had better recording equipment and the main host didn't mumble so much. Hard to hear on my noisy commute to work.

Jay and Miles X-Plain The X-Men is what you seek. Also Miles (of Jay & Miles) did a miniseries called The Lightning and The Storm that's dedicated to Simonson's Thor run. The Amazing Spider-Talk might also be up your alley.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Are the old Jay & Miles episodes under that name or the old one? I've been reading some Claremont X books and wanna pick the podcast up again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

Are the old Jay & Miles episodes under that name or the old one? I've been reading some Claremont X books and wanna pick the podcast up again.

All of their podcasts are listed under "Jay and Miles X-plain the X-men."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1095842434129498112

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Jay and Miles X-Plain The X-Men is what you seek. Also Miles (of Jay & Miles) did a miniseries called The Lightning and The Storm that's dedicated to Simonson's Thor run. The Amazing Spider-Talk might also be up your alley.

Tell me about the Amazing Spider-Talk, this is the first I'm hearing of it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/sanfordgreene/status/1095905367178006529?s=19

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

What is "Reggie and Me?"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
A Reggie Mantle centric 5 issue mini that Tom DeFalco wrote for Archie a year or two ago. It wasn't a must read or anything; it was just an inoffensive side story to Waid's run.

Edit: As long as we're on the topic:

The main Archie title will be rebranding to "Archie and Sabrina", so I guess that means that Nick Spencer's run where he made them a couple is gonna last a while.

And speaking of minis, they announced a new one that I am totally looking forward to, for obvious reasons if you know anything about my posting history in BSS: Jughead's Time Police, to be brought to us by Sina Grace and Derek Charm.

Argue fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 15, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soonmot posted:

Tell me about the Amazing Spider-Talk, this is the first I'm hearing of it

Well it did originally start off as a more typical review back when Superior Spider-Man was a thing, but in I think mid-2017 they relaunched and started looking at ASM from the beginning. They still review contemporary stories, but you could skip those (they're on a delay unless you're a patron, anyway).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Argue posted:

A Reggie Mantle centric 5 issue mini featuring his wiener dog, Vader, that Tom DeFalco wrote for Archie a year or two ago. It wasn't a must read or anything; it was just an inoffensive side story to Waid's run.

ftfy

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would like to get flowers someday

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A girl I was crushing on gave me flowers once and they triggered the poo poo out of my allergies. She thought I was faking it and stopped talking to me.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

A girl I was crushing on gave me flowers once and they triggered the poo poo out of my allergies. She thought I was faking it and stopped talking to me.

this is the gooniest valentine's story I think I've ever heard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oracle posted:

this is the gooniest valentine's story I think I've ever heard.

There was no mention of stairs so I don't see how this could be true.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rhyno posted:

There was no mention of stairs printers so I don't see how this could be true.

I fixed it. Happy Valentine's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:captainamericaiunderstand.gif:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No one tell Dan Slott about chimpanzees.

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1096299672921088001

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Someone link him that Mike Miller yugioh card comic strip

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's a good thing that particular joke hasn't been around so long that Disney made fun of themselves about it twenty-two goddamn years ago oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
This is the same weird thing that leads to the Goofy-Pluto “problem.” It’s not actually a problem because Goofy’s not actually a dog. Donald isn’t a duck. Mickey isn’t a mouse. They are humans who are caricatured as dogs, ducks, mice. Carl Barks and Don Rosa would 100% back me up on this.

edit: Pluto is a dog

Benito Cereno fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 16, 2019