Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrFlibble posted:

This is what would happen.

I don't want it to happen, but I do so desperately want to see the responses to it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
In other British news at the end of the year they'll be releasing pokemon set in the uk. Lets have a look at the leaks:

https://twitter.com/MitsuShow/status/1100895312976195589

https://twitter.com/deathbulge/status/1100910798052999168

The Ello line is genius but I think it should be Phuqulookinat for age reasons.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't want it to happen, but I do so desperately want to see the responses to it happening.

This has been my reaction to everything Brexit so far. At some point the waveform will collapse and i'll be left sobbing cold and alone as our country is picked apart by vultures but until then i'm holding up pretty well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just how unlikely is it that this month ends in the queen kicking the door of #10 down and dragging mummy may away in a sack?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

MrFlibble posted:

In other British news at the end of the year they'll be releasing pokemon set in the uk. Lets have a look at the leaks:

:lol:

I was sent these two by a friend:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Who are Labour's poll numbers dropping with in demographic terms? Pro-brexit or anti-brexit people, as I understand that divide has overridden basically every other cleavage in British society?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

that divide has overridden basically every other cleavage in British society?

Checks out.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

A May’s deal/remain referendum has a pretty good chance of going the good way, and at the very worst kills no deal. It’s a good idea, and might also be the only way out of the impasse.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I am remoaning with pleasure at the prospect

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really hope something gets sorted but it's really not looking great for it tbh. Parliament seems likely to just deadlock its way into no deal.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If they come out of the three votes with nothing and drag this all the way to a no-deal by default, surely the one thing to come of this is our then utter failure of a government feeling obliged to dissolve.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 1, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

If they come out of the three votes to come with nothing and drag this all the way to a no-deal by default, surely the one thing to come of this is that this utter failure of a government will then feel obliged to dissolve.

That would be them winning, so why would they?

May would have no further utility, but the tories set out to do brexit and will have done brexit.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

That would be them winning, so why would they?

May would have no further utility, but the tories set out to do brexit and will have done brexit.

Sharted a brexit all over the UK.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If it's winning is it winning enough?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dawn of Mars 1st.

28 days remain. (or 758 if delay)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Katt posted:

Dawn of Mars 1st.

28 days remain. (or 758 if delay)

jesus if they delay will we achieve full gay luxury communism in Britain?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lol seems like I’m not the only one who’s sleep is hosed. Brexit Britain is an insomniacs paradise.

did loafer or poison jam post again? hope you dudes are doing ok

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Reviving Moribund CLP Chat:

So, as the OP says, I live in Northampton. Up until January, Northampton had one big CLP covering the borough boundaries, despite being two constituencies. There are 4 borough wards that fall inside the South Northants constituency, including mine. While the borough boundaries were in place, I had full voting rights in Northampton (as well as in South Northants). Because Northampton meetings were a couple of miles away in the town centre - and, you know, I LIVE IN NORTHAMPTON - I began attending Northampton meetings, which were lively, and the CLP was set up well, and canvassed and campaigned and I could just be the foot soldier I wanted to be.

At the back end of last year, there was a vote to split into 2 constituency CLPs, which I voted against but it went through by 37-36. Seeing this was possibly coming, I attended my proper CLP for the first time in September, and was the 8th person there, making it quorate. The next month there were just 4 of us. It's a massively Tory-dominated area, with Andrea Leadsom having a 30k majority and only a couple of LibDem councillors breaking the blue wave. They don't door knock, they don't canvas, they don't leaflet drop - they just have occasional stalls in Towcester, the central town in a massive geographical area.

So at the November CLP I stood for the vacant IT Officer post and was elected unopposed (obv, because this is an EC with lots of doubling up). Since then I've been working to wake things up, and have resurrected the website, FB and Twitter, and gotten them to agree to going out door-knocking in the spring. We can't have elections in Northamptonshire until next year so we have a year to canvas the entire constituency. I've also begun setting up a local branch to cover the 4 Northampton wards, which have 25% of the membership, because I'm sure there's more than the handful of us that travel 10 miles to CLP who would get active if it meant doing something local.

It's hard work, and the Brexit & AS stuff is demoralising, but they're a lovely bunch and the chair is really positive, and hopefully in a year or so I can go back to being a foot soldier. I'm going to stand for membership secretary in May as the next part of my mission. Wish me luck!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Who are Labour's poll numbers dropping with in demographic terms? Pro-brexit or anti-brexit people, as I understand that divide has overridden basically every other cleavage in British society?

It's not really clear, since most of the people who respond to polling at this low ebb of an election cycle are either graveyard-bound or one of the few who can be bothered to be signed-up with one of the polling companies.
Added to this is the fact that because this is the low ebb of an election cycle, most of the polls are commissioned by people who want to see a return on their investment (i.e. the polls are massively rigged).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Best of luck! This kind of ground level activism makes a difference.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is March already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzZW2HP3i1w

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

superLINUS posted:

Fighting the good fight.

Sincere advice from someone who has managed local election and target seat campaigns.

1.Find the ward your vote is strongest.
2.Pick a candidate or spokesperson if you're not allowed.
3.Focus relentlessly. Every door knocked, leaflet delivered and volunteer deployed should be there.
4.You'll notice the bump at the next local elections and that is how it starts.

Helps if there is an issue to mobalise around but it doesn't necessarily have to actually be in the ward.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Reposting the full times article on cash for fash as it got lost in the last post.

”The Times” posted:

An appeal raising funds to create a visitor centre dedicated to Baroness Thatcher has instead spent much of its fortune encouraging young people to support right-wing beliefs.

The Tory MP Conor Burns is under scrutiny by the Charity Commission over his involvement in the British wing of a transatlantic campaign that was supposed to build a museum and library devoted to the former prime minister.

An investigation by The Times has found that most donations to the Margaret Thatcher Centre’s US fundraising vehicle came from the billionaire Robert Mercer, President Trump’s top donor. He set up Cambridge Analytica, the consulting company that controversially became involved in data mining, and bankrolled Steve Bannon, the alt-right activist.

Conor Burns is facing scrutiny from the Charity Commission
It can also be revealed that, after a public appeal in Britain for money to buy Thatcher’s outfits, Mr Burns and another trustee bid at a Christie’s auction to buy them for a private collector. A solicitor with expertise in charities said that he expected the Charity Commission “would take a dim view” of the apparent conflict of interest.

The Margaret Thatcher Centre, due to open this year to mark the 40th anniversary of her becoming prime minister and 60 years since she was elected to parliament, has made little progress. Leading Conservatives, including Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, and politicians from around the world have supported the cause but there is nothing concrete to show for it.

Ben Elliot, a nephew of the Duchess of Cornwall, was a founding trustee of the British branch of the appeal. Mr Elliot, who is the government’s newly appointed food waste tsar, said that he had stepped down because of its “failure to achieve its original goals”.

An early ambition to build the centre at Westminster was eventually ditched in favour of the more modest location of the University of Buckingham, where Thatcher served as chancellor. A spokeswoman for the university said that there had been talks but the centre was unlikely to open this year. Accounts show that nearly all the money raised for the centre on both sides of the Atlantic has been spent.

Instead of being used to create a library and museum, money donated in America was poured into student exchanges between Britain and the US to promote the “Anglosphere”, including a visit by American students to the conservative Freedom Association’s conference in Bournemouth. A donation was also given to a John Wilkes Centre in London, named after the 18th-century radical reformer.

The annual “London scholars programme” for students includes sightseeing to Cambridge or Oxford, private policy briefings on Brexit and the Anglo-American special relationship, and a drinks reception at the Gherkin, the skyscraper in the City of London. British students go to Marymount, a politically neutral Catholic university in Washington.

The US-based Cherish Freedom Foundation raised more than $1 million in five years but nearly all of it has gone on student exchanges. Fundraising in Britain has been carried out by the Cherish Freedom Trust, created during the days between Thatcher’s death and her funeral in May 2013. Its accounts show it raised £300,000 in two years but spent most of this on events, consultants, professional fees and travel.

The trust gained charitable status in 2014. However, the Charity Commission is understood to have taken the unusual step of seeking and receiving detailed assurances regarding its independence. Regulatory sources said that any evidence of this principle not being properly upheld would be of serious concern.

Gary Rycroft, a solicitor and expert on the legal affairs of charities, said that it sounded like the charity “was on their radar from the word go”. He said it seemed that the commission had “flagged it during the registration process as a concern and therefore sought particular assurances that they wouldn’t normally seek”.

Based in Kent and London, the Cherish Freedom Trust had personal and corporate connections with right-wing and business interests. In an article for Breitbart, the news website heavily funded by Mr Mercer, the US-based Cherish Freedom Foundation said that its transatlantic programmes were aimed at “spreading conservatism in Britain and Europe”.

Charities in England are forbidden from having a political purpose. Mr Burns once reported Oxfam to the Charity Commission for attacking the government’s austerity programme.

The Cherish Freedom Trust’s remaining trustees are Mr Burns and a company, also called Cherish Freedom, whose director is Mr Burns.

The commission said last night: “Concerns have been raised with us about the Cherish Freedom Trust. We are currently assessing information relating to the charity and the trustees’ legal duties and responsibilities to protect the charity’s independence and manage any conflicts of interest. If we identify serious regulatory issues, we will take the matter forward.”

The Margaret Thatcher Centre said: “The centre still runs programmes on both sides of the Atlantic while continuing to secure pledges to enable a permanent facility to be opened in due course.”

Mr Elliot said that the project had “huge ambitions and unfortunately for a number of reasons it didn’t succeed. It was just a story of something that could have been brilliant and sadly wasn’t.”

Mr Burns did not respond to requests for comment.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I just had the most horrible thought

Do you guys think that once we reach March 29th, time loops back to June 23rd, 2016?

And we've been trapped in this loop for who knows how many iterations

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pochoclo posted:

Do you guys think that once we reach March 29th, time loops back to June 23rd, 2016?

Is that why I'm seeing 3s everywhere

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

MrFlibble posted:

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/deathbulge/status/1101248918615146497

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nintendo hire this man

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Loving the pokemans.

Pochoclo posted:

Can I leave myself a message encoded in the timeline to take out a huge overdraft and convert it to yen on the night of the referendum?

Also from last thread:

Darth Walrus posted:

Thanks to the capitalism thread, I have been introduced to the worst website, and now I must subject you to it as well.
You know how cool it was that 80% of those women who are prison slaves were in maximum security prisons for drug offences, well it gets even cooler.

The IDPC has released their 10 year drug policy report for Asia and most of those women will be in there for simple possession, or for nothing at all, or for being poor and refusing the (possibly sexual) demands of police.

Guillotine the rich; shoot all prohibitionists; ACAB; &c.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Twitter has christened Farage's Brexit march the #GammonBallRun

It's glorious.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

Twitter has christened Farage's Brexit march the #GammonBallRun

It's glorious.

Sometimes the mountain of shite is worth it when we get stuff like that.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Ground floor on the everything is doomed thread

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol a bunch of people are going to vote against 2nd ref to spite corbyn

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/28/labour-moving-towards-plan-to-let-mays-brexit-deal-pass-if-it-faces-public-vote

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Okay this is awful from Labour. What a terrible loving idea this is, the amendment needs to not even be proposed.

Also People Vote is still a loving terrible idea because no one thinks it's anything but the remain campaign wanting a second go, they've totally hosed up it and that's why the UK would vote leave again.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

May's deal being put to the people and rejected could potentially be a massive win for Labour, since it leaves the Tories with all the blame for Brexit being cancelled because they couldn't negotiate a decent deal. So it makes sense for them to back the Kyle amendment. The biggest risk is if the public actually back May's deal then Labour will get the fallout for facilitating Brexit. High risk, high reward.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

namesake posted:

Okay this is awful from Labour. What a terrible loving idea this is, the amendment needs to not even be proposed.

Also People Vote is still a loving terrible idea because no one thinks it's anything but the remain campaign wanting a second go, they've totally hosed up it and that's why the UK would vote leave again.

there is no good brexit policy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Leave or not, I think March is going to be pretty loving grim for us.

More so than every other month, I mean

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

The biggest risk is if the public actually back May's deal then Labour will get the fallout for facilitating Brexit. High risk, high reward.
See I don't think that's actually that big of a risk: people who aren't paying much attention will just put it all down to May, whereas people who are paying attention will see full well that Labour got us a 2nd ref.

That's not to say there's not a whole bunch of never-Corbyn's who'd throw it in Labour's face anyway, but gently caress those people, if it isn't that it'll be something else. Anyone who listens to those guys already thinks we're a bunch of antisemitic Nando's-Brexiting turbohitler IRA jihadists.

e: 'course, there's also the fallout from opposing Brexit - but, (a)this is at least a bit stealthier than just joining in with the transparently disingenuous #PeoplesVote shouting, (b)the Tories would get a fair share of the blame for not getting their deal through, and (c)conference has spoken, Corbyn's hands are tied.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 1, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't Nando Turbohitler one of the bad guys in the new Star Wars?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't Nando Turbohitler one of the bad guys in the new Star Wars?

I still maintain that Guto Bebb is definitely a star wars character.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

V. Illych L. posted:

there is no good brexit policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Brexit is good.

10% minimum removed from the economy is a small price to pay for our independence

Also I own multiple homes and it won’t affect me