Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

if this is a typo its a good one

Samuringa posted:

I have the first volume of Renew Your Vows and it begins with all Avengers dying, Parker murdering Venom and the world turning into a dystopia which was definitely not what I expected from the panels that keep getting posted.

tbh i dont remember that at all, so im assuming that was in the opening arc by whoever the first writer was, but everything houser wrote was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The first volume of of Renew Your Vows was set in a Battleworld Zone ruled by The Regent as part of Secret Wars. I never picked up the series that sprung from that but I'd imagine it was somewhat different.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I am also curious about Spiderman runs. I don't really have patience for the Ditko/Lee run, and the 90's is filled with Clone Saga nonsense. Were there some good Spiderman runs from the 80's worth checking out besides Kraven's Last Hunt?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

One thing about that era, Steven Butler draws one hell of a Spiderman/Scarlet Spider. Web was easily the best looking book back then.

Yeah, right now Web looks really sharp. Because at the moment the eternal Spider-man crossovers are divided into two book pairs, I'll hold back on ranking the artists until I finish the next arc: Back from the Edge.

But Return from Exile. There's this phrase you guys might have heard, "With great power comes great responsibility." I'm not sure if you're familiar with it but goddamn is the clone saga running that into the ground right now. First arc literally used it as a title, but also featured Peter going insane and pulling himself back with that phrase. And Ben remembering it and doing good deeds. And then in this arc Ben watches people get robbed and roughed up on multiple occasions and chooses not to do anything. And he wants to get out of New York before he decides to start helping people again. But don't worry, he eventually remembers that with great power comes great responsibility. And so he just decides to pick a fight with Venom because he's a superhero again.

I mean, anti-hero Venom was stupid as gently caress, but there's nothing about Venom in particular showing up that should make Ben decide to put on a costume and go fight him. How about stopping that robbery instead, Ben? You know, the thing that directly parallels the origin story? No? You've got to go establish yourself as Spider-Man's Poochy by beating up his arch-enemy? Well, okay then.

And look at how he beats Venom! Coming up with new webshooters and a dart gun, then shooting Eddie Brock in the face. The Scarlet Spider is a Spider-Man for the 90's!

is what no one with any sense would say.

Onto Back From the Edge, the covers of which promise me will feature Stupid Armor Daredevil. Goddamned 90's.

Samuringa posted:

I keep wondering, what are Spider-man runs(Preferably something somewhat recent) that really show all the aspects of Peter that readers are so enamored with?

Start with John Byrne's Spider-Man: Chapter One. It's a natural jumping on point. :devil:

Seriously, start with Amazing Fantasy 15 and start reading forward. Lee/Ditko doesn't really become amazing until around ASM#10, but it's worth it because you can see Lee figuring out how to write a new kind of superhero comic in those early issues. By the time you hit Romita the book is firing on all cylinders consistently and it stays that way until around issue 150 or so where it becomes really spotty. Then Roger Stern has a pretty good run. By the time you hit the 90's, Spider-man is really bad for a long time (I jumped off before the clone saga and I was a lucky one), though with some good artists. JMS's run ends very badly for more reasons than just that, but it starts off extremely good. And, yes, Bendis's run on Ultimate is really good, especially as he moves out of that first arc; I don't like 90% of things Bendis has done but that's something special.

Beyond that, I'd have to call out individual stories rather than creators. There's a lot of people who did middling work on Spider-Man for a while but managed to create at least one really great story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

I keep wondering, what are Spider-man runs(Preferably something somewhat recent) that really show all the aspects of Peter that readers are so enamored with?

Chip Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man. Hell, just #310 is everything you need to know about Spider-Man.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Endless Mike posted:

Chip Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man. Hell, just #310 is everything you need to know about Spider-Man.

Oh, that's an option! Although the, currently only, tpb available begins at #301 and mentions his sister Teresa who I hope is just a nun!

I'll just learn what is going on by context, like pretty much every other comic.

X-O posted:

The first volume of of Renew Your Vows was set in a Battleworld Zone ruled by The Regent as part of Secret Wars. I never picked up the series that sprung from that but I'd imagine it was somewhat different.

why is there a bad Renew Your Vows

And, in this case, there are two tpbs with RYV #1 - #12, so I figure that's enough Spider-manning to give me a taste after I look up some store.

Thanks, folks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Oh, that's an option! Although the, currently only, tpb available begins at #301 and mentions his sister Teresa who I hope is just a nun!

I'll just learn what is going on by context, like pretty much every other comic.
I'm not sure where you're looking. Amazon has five volumes available, collecting the full run. The one starting with #301 is volume 3.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

why is there a bad Renew Your Vows

And, in this case, there are two tpbs with RYV #1 - #12, so I figure that's enough Spider-manning to give me a taste after I look up some store.

Thanks, folks.

Teresa is from an OGN by Mark Waid titled Family Business, she's not actually related to him, she was brainwashed by Kingpin into thinking so in order to find Peter Parker's parents secret spy base (his parents were spies, I think that's from the 70's or something)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Back from the Edge sure was something. I think the Vulture's scheme to kill everyone in New York with eagles/vultures (depending on the artist) that had a virus on their talons so that he could get rid of everyone who ever knew him might be not be the smartest plan ever. And look, Mary Jane sure does love the person who abused her; isn't that uplifting? Armor Daredevil was even more angsty and angry than Spider-Man was proving that these were definitely comics published in the 1990's. I get the impression that this arc was supposed to be a turning point (hence the title) but I didn't see any sign of that. Spider-Man ends the arc just as angsty as he was at the start and now he's dying of eagle/vulture poisoning.

As promised in my last post, as I am now three months and 17 issues (two of which were triple sized) into the clone saga, it's time to rank things.

4. Spectacular - Sal is always the lesser Buscema but at this point it really feels like he's phoning it in. There's two pages of dialog where he just xeroxed the same panel for the whole thing. Tom DeFalco is also scripting this one (the "plotting" on these books is essentially being done in large scale meetings with the creative teams and driven by the editor). This book actively brings the books around it down because you are literally obligated to buy every single book coming out each month to follow the story and I think if it was 1994 I'd just drop all four rather than be forced to continue reading this.

3. Adjectiveless - Tom Lyle's got a lot of the extreme over musculature going on; Ben was just as bulky as Venom. He also doesn't seem to be able to structure an action scene. It's extremely 90's in the art style with it coming across more as a series of pin-ups than a story. Howard Mackie is surprisingly tolerable for a man who will have one of the bottom 5 Spider-Man runs in a few years.

2. Amazing - Mark Bagley is a legit good Spider-Man artist. There's a reason that he has some a mammoth body of Spider-work. But, again, it feels like he's half-assing it a lot here. I've read Bagley's Amazing run prior to the clones and it felt like it had more flair. Maybe he's not liking the job right now (don't know how that would happen). JM DeMatteis is often underrated as a writer and it doesn't help that the story is focused on how much internal torment Spider-Man has which doesn't lend itself to more than spinning wheels of self-pity. I feel like he could do a lot more if he wasn't constrained to some really bad characterization.

1. Web of - Steve Butler seems to be the one artist actually giving a drat at this point. He's putting some really wonderfully structured pages together and it works. Terry Kavanagh's scripting on the other hand, seems to be stuck due to the plotting.

At the moment, Spider-Poochie's storyline is more interesting because Peter's just whining endlessly while Ben is actually doing stuff. Okay, he's whining that he doesn't want to do stuff until two panels later he remembers that with great power comes great responsibility, but he's still doing stuff.

So, 17 issues down, about 70-80 to go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I remember liking the part in Clone Saga where the titles are all renamed after Scarlet Spider briefly (Web of Scarlet Spider, etc). Did they ever add Sensational Spider-Man to Marvel Unlimited? I remember it not being there when I last checked and I've let my subscription lapse.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Another Clone Story Arc down! Web of Life is the proper introduction to Kaine and since I know he's a souped up clone with extra strong powers I'm way more interested in what he's doing than anyone else, even if he has a stupid name.

Grim Hunter might be the 90's-est thing yet in the Clone Saga. Also, he has an extremely tiny penis; there's a very large panel of him standing around naked with a very small amount of shadow for his junk.

There's a snowstorm in this arc which makes it a bit confusing on the timing. The previous issue which took place on the same day had a flowering garden, so it didn't even seem like it was autumn.

Okay, over to Web of Death because they decided to kill two "major" Spider-villains in one month!

Skwirl posted:

I remember liking the part in Clone Saga where the titles are all renamed after Scarlet Spider briefly (Web of Scarlet Spider, etc). Did they ever add Sensational Spider-Man to Marvel Unlimited? I remember it not being there when I last checked and I've let my subscription lapse.

All of the clone saga up to the change over is on Marvel Unlimited. After that (and you made me go and look because Marvel's own reading order for the event ends at Spectacular 229 when Peter quits) it becomes a lot more spotty. They've only got the Spectacular Scarlet Spider and not the other four books even though they're all a crossover or a lot of the spin-off books that pick up fragments of the story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Teresa is from an OGN by Mark Waid titled Family Business, she's not actually related to him, she was brainwashed by Kingpin into thinking so in order to find Peter Parker's parents secret spy base (his parents were spies, I think that's from the 70's or something)

She is actually related to him. Maybe you didn't read the last pages of the OGN. Zdarsky's series followed up on that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Random Stranger posted:

I mean, anti-hero Venom was stupid as gently caress

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Web of Death sure is the last Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus epic! And definitely the last time that a dying Doctor Octopus teams up with Peter and winds up taking advantage of him.

Doctor Octopus agrees with me about not liking how 90's Spider-Man has gotten since this story is all about him going, "Man, Spider-Man sure is a whiny, angsty jerk these days."

I take back the nice things I said about Kaine in the previous post. Having him off Doctor Octopus to make readers go, "Oooooh, this sensational new character find of 1995 is so cool and edgy!" was pretty lovely.

This story has a surprise appearance by the ghost of Uncle Ben who seems like he's playing a role in the story and then his bit immediately dropped. And I'm not talking about the near-death experience; I'm talking about when he shows up in the restaurant, seems to be telling Mary Jane what she needs to do so Peter can survive, and then Peter immediately runs out to confront Doc Ock.

And hey, guys, did you notice all these giant flashing neon signs that they're putting up saying that Peter is actually the clone? Superhero comics are rarely subtle but come on.

I pressed on with Funeral for an Octopus because it seemed to be a direct continuation of Web of Death, and this is the first time in the whole Clone Saga that I've felt like I'm reading a Spider-Man comic. There's a pile of villains, lots of quips, decent looking fight scenes, and Spider-Octopus.

I have officially reached the point in the clone saga where I'm going, "How much longer does this go on... Oh gently caress." I'm still about five major story arcs out from Maximum Clonage, which given that there's a bit more than a full year of Ben-Spider-Man before things get even more stupid, I'd say is a bit less than the halfway mark.

Edit: "So we have this group of terrorists bomb the subway on their way to attack the World Trade Center. But they need to make some getaway demands."

"What if they want the Concorde!"

"Perfect! None of this will reference real world tragedies so we're good to go!"

Edit: One more block of the clone saga before bed and I've reached the point where things have gone off the rails. Smoke and Mirrors and Players and Pawns reminded me of later seasons of Lost; they're clearly just throwing crazy ideas against the wall at this point with no clue or intention of resolving anything. The Jackal is back, only completely 90's upped and also "wacky". His explicitly stated goal is to say lots of contradictory things about the plot so nobody can understand what's happening. And there's a third Peter Parker! Also two more that are explicitly clones! And another villain with vaguely defined powers that can do anything that the plot requires who and stands around saying ominous things while hinting that he knows everything. Despite the labels, they're the same story since Player and Pawns picks up moments after Smoke and Mirrors ends, has the same villain who is enacting the exact same plan. And neither of them make any sense at all.

I am deep in the Clone saga weeds now with thirty-five issues down, forty-two to go before Peter quits, and roughly sixty+ issues after that before the nightmare ends. But right after a detour to The Planet of the Symbiotes (the first one), I'm reaching Amazing #400. I'm just imagining the poor souls in 1995 who thought, "Well of course they're going to wrap this up for #400!"

One more thing: The Clone Journal was a massive rip off for Spider-fans at the time with something like four new pages and then out of context pages from the previous several months of stories. I would have been pissed if I had been conned into buying that.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 6, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished Lone Wolf and Cub.

Just... goddamn.

What an ending.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Just... goddamn.

What an ending.

Yeah, it ends in pretty much the way you expect it to, but still. And the last line is really good.

I don't remember if I believed it when I heard the climax was a 200-page swordfight, but sure enough there is one.

New Lone Wolf & Cub isn't on the same level but it's still well worth reading.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read that in a few years, should dive back in again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

More clone saga since I am now damned to this hell, though I'll be progressing more slowly. Maybe I'll finish it before the quarterly thread closes.

This time, it's Planet of the Symbiotes. Not to be confused with the other Planet of the Symbiotes storyline.

Not only does this feature anti-hero Venom, it features mullet anti-hero Venom. It is truly the worst of all possible worlds.

Just because you're calling out the lovely artist in your scripting doesn't make it less lovely.

But there wasn't much to Planet because it was crossover nonsense that wasn't remotely coherent, had the "interesting" parts all take place off camera, and resolved with no effort or meaning. Oh, and one of the back ups spoils ASM 400, but I already knew what's going to happen there.

Next up, a short block of a few issues where a major character dies! For real! Definitely not an actress who got really, really, really into the role.

Jordan7hm posted:

Just... goddamn.

What an ending.

It's quite a trip to get to the end of Lone Wolf and Cub but it was completely worth it. I remember when I was first reading it, I was wondering through the early issues, "What's he spending all this money on?" so the fact that it was part of the plan the whole time was cool.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Quick question about 90's Spiderman. Was every Spiderman storyline in the early to mid 90's Clone Saga related?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Quick question about 90's Spiderman. Was every Spiderman storyline in the early to mid 90's Clone Saga related?

No, in fact some involved a stupid amount of symbiotes!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I finally found someone older and grumpier than Rhyno.

https://twitter.com/jamespyles/status/1103394551224389632

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
https://twitter.com/pangolinfeets/status/1103102556375523328

Gail Simone continues to be on fire.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nice to see the idiot admit to his mistake instead of doubling down.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Madkal posted:

Nice to see the idiot admit to his mistake instead of doubling down.

It's so rare and appreciated, yeah.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well, here I am at the high point of the Clone Saga. It's all downhill from here.

Amazing Spider-Man 400 is a legit good comic. It actually succeeds in its emotional beats, even with the clone stuff. And Aunt May is a character that was ripe for a send off since she had spent the past four hundred issues basically on death's door (also, briefly dead for about six months just over two hundred issues previously) and only existing to give Peter some angst. No one had anything interesting to say with her (and no one would until JMS's run) so moving her off the stage in a touching farewell works. So full thumbs up, I can't believe there was a comic in this mess that I can say was good.

And I already know that Marvel will piss all over it at the end of Clone Saga. So there's that to look forward to.

And then because reading the Clone Saga isn't hard enough, the next issue is the start of that heavy gradient coloring Marvel got into in the 90's. It also has some of the worst Romita Jr. pencils I've seen, but it's the blinding gradients everywhere that really hurt the eyes.

The Peter in jail for Kaine's crimes storyline is really not interesting to me and it feels like the writers aren't able to keep track of their own characterizations since there's a lot of out of nowhere talk about clone jealousy which hasn't been a thing since the very first part of this.

The next part is The Mark of Kaine, because they couldn't just let that one slip by.

Madkal posted:

Ha ha, no. That would be silly.

Just a two year period.

So here's the thing that made Spider-Man a mess: Superman. You see, at the time, DC was boosting sales on Superman by releasing Superman books weekly and having some continuity through all of them. 52 issues of Superman a year, or rather Action Comics, Adventures of Superman, Superman, and Superman: Man of Steel plus a few specials. And every few months there would be a storyline that directly flowed through all the books. So that was helping avoid the problem of a huge line having a weak book that doesn't do as well; you gotta get all of them if you want to keep up!

And then there was the Death of Superman, the event that poisoned the early 90's. DC had struck solid gold with storyline. Then did it again with Batman. And now everybody wanted some of that sweet cash that came from serious events that you had to read to keep up. There were events before, but now they were EVENTS that demanded attention and their own overpriced polybagged special covered version. Pretty much all of the rest of the attempts to replicate this success fizzled with the only one I'd say even approached working was Wolverine getting his adamantium stripped. But for fun here's a brief list of how Marvel tried to capture some of that "And now nothing will ever be the same..." magic in the early 90's:

• Daredevil "dies" and is replaced by a guy with 90's armor.
  • Captain America is severely injured and has to wear 90's armor.
  • Reed Richards dies and is replaced by his son wearing 90's armor.
  • Tony Stark was working for Kang the whole time! And is now a teenager wearing 90's armor.
  • The Punisher dies for real and becomes an angel. He does not get 90's armor which seems like an oversight.
  • Dr. Strange kinda dies and is replaced by someone wearing 90's armor late 60's costume.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Oddly enough, Hulk and Thor didn't get in on this mess. They got the usual status quo changes but none that were really pushed as significant beyond their own title.

So anyway, that's the atmosphere that the Clone Saga was born from. Note that pretty much all of these are considered low points in their respective comics, but it was the 90's, they still thought they could ride that collector's boom, Marvel was swimming in cash from that definitely not going to cause problems IPO, and they were going to change Spider-Man forever!

Getting back to the specifics here, the 90's started out big for Spider-Man with the first real runaway sales juggernaut due to the collectors boom with the launch of the fourth ongoing Spider-Man title. It was created specifically so Todd McFarlane would stop whining about having to follow plots. After a few issues McFarlane decided he wanted all the money instead of a lot of money (which honestly, as a creative person doing work for hire isn't totally unreasonable) so he left to pursue his dream of buying a hockey team. And that's when the editors decided to start following the Superman model more with some loose storylines carrying between series and regular crossovers. These became more and more frequent over the next few years. Just hitting up the "major" "storylines" preceding the Clone Saga there was Invasion of the Spider-Slayers in which Spider-Man fights giant robots for way too long, Maximum Carnage in which Spider-Man fights Carnage for a 14 part crossover, the Spider-Parents storyline where they were robots not clones and it went on for an entire year.

Then we hit the clone saga and things get really bad. The Spider-Man line had been having crossovers over every four to six months before this. Now it was all crossovers all the time with each titled story going between multiple series. There are no more stand alone stories but there's still technically a separate "writer" for each comic. Those comics I posted about up there? Those are the first time in the past six issues of Spider-Man comics that there hasn't been a "Storyline Title! Part x of y!" splashed on the cover. They weren't stand alone issues, it's just that they weren't explicitly crossover sales bait. And there's eight more months of non-stop crossovers before there's finally a bit of a breather when Ben takes over as Spider-Man.

Just to repeat, Spider-Man was in a continuous, single storyline crossover for fourteen goddamned months before there is a full month where you do not have to buy every single Spider-Man comic coming out to get the story.

That lasts exactly one month.

Then there's four more months of all crossover all the time, a short breather for two months (which still have the continuing stories, they're just not "Buy next week's issue of __________ Spider-Man to get the next part!"), and then Onslaught hits which is its own lovely 90's crossover. After that the clone saga finally winds down but you've got a few more months of crossover before it'll let you go.

So that winds up being 26 months of clone stories, not including the few months where they clone is hanging out in the background before the storyline actually starts. Over two years of Spider-Man in the 90's is spent on this mess and there's a reason why I have avoided trying to read it before now and does anyone else smell burning toast?

The Clone Saga did so much damage to the brand that they tried to effectively reboot it a few years later. That reboot is another low point in Spider-Man history but it's a much shorter one. Feel free to read Spider-Man Chapter One to see how bad it can get (it's really bad) and Howard Mackie's run which solves the "problem" of the Spider-Marriage by blowing up Mary Jane.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thor wasn't part of that trend because he had gotten his '90s makeover a few years earlier.

Check out that two-fingered glove!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Thor wasn't part of that trend because he had gotten his '90s makeover a few years earlier.

Eric Masterson is kind of the last hurrah of the old way of changing up series. Things are in a bit of a slump, so switch off the character(s) for a while. No fanfare, no giant crossover, no triple priced issue with a special cover, just a "this is how things are going to be for now".

Of course, he was pretty much just Thor until Thunderstrike took him full 90's...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

That is Thunderstrike! Not Thor!

Thor's bad 90s costume was his own, not some pretender!

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 7, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

That is Thunderstrike! Not Thor!

Thor's bad 90s costume was his own, not some pretender!

I know Thunderstrike isn't Thor, but he still fits the trend of "replacement with bad '90s costume"

But yeah, *actual* Thor had his own '90s failures, but check out that crop cut top to show off his abs!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/MrNiceGuy18_58/status/1103482072721694720?s=19

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not gonna defend the Clone Saga, but try reading Jacket Avengers if you want to see how much worse a formerly good Marvel comic could have gotten.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh no we are not talking poo poo about Thunderstrike's costume.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not gonna defend the Clone Saga, but try reading Jacket Avengers if you want to see how much worse a formerly good Marvel comic could have gotten.

Liar. Avengers was never good. :v:

I'm kidding. Barely. But, yeah, that era is atrocious. When Operation: Galactic Storm is the storytelling high point of the period, there's a real problem. I started to attempt to read the Crossing on Marvel Unlimited a while ago but fortunately it was missing some key parts so I didn't make it far. I think they've added the missing bits, though, so I might feel the need to try to make it through that storyline the next time I'm delirious.

I know 90% of everything is crap, but Marvel would really have to stretch to reach that mark between the tail end of the DeFalco era and then the Harris apocalypse. I'm trying to think of what the best book Marvel was publishing in 1994 (which would be the height of the boom and right in all these periods we're talking about). There's quite a few titles that were chugging along at blandly mediocre (Thor, the Spider-Books), a few books that had good creators on them who had just been on that book forever and as a result were kind of winding down on what they could say with it (Hulk, Captain America), a fair number that seemed like they must have only been still getting published out of obligation (Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Avengers), the X-books had gone off a cliff despite still selling well and it would be years until Morrison makes one of them readable again. I guess Hulk's the best book they were publishing at the time, but that was the end of the Pantheon era and I felt at that point David was running out of steam. There's literally nothing else Marvel was publishing at the time that I'd recommend someone read, though.

drat, I usually think of the period when they kept changing editor-in-chiefs every couple of months as the nadir of Marvel comics, but taking a good hard look at '94-'95 is making a serious case for that being the bottom. (No, wise guy, the funny animal era does not count because those are Timely books.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

The Crossing era Avengers is worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

The Crossing era Avengers is worse.

I dunno, I can kinda tell what's going on in The Crossing by looking at the images and reading the words. That's more than I can say for most of the Jacket Avengers era. Those comics seriously made me feel like I was having a fever dream. And I mean that in the worst way possible, I'm talking 105 degree fever convinced the ceiling fan is gonna kill you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, I can kinda tell what's going on in The Crossing by looking at the images and reading the words. That's more than I can say for most of the Jacket Avengers era. Those comics seriously made me feel like I was having a fever dream. And I mean that in the worst way possible, I'm talking 105 degree fever convinced the ceiling fan is gonna kill you.

This looks more like fever dream to me than Black Knight in a bomber jacket.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I was just rolling my eyes at the latest issue of Doomsday Clock, the DC Universe-shaking event in which nothing happens and it takes twice as long to not happen, and the thought occurred to me: what was the last actually good event comic? Like, something that got its own special title and didn't just temporarily take over associated books, and had a miniseries, and everything. A proper event comic. Just how long have they been unceasingly bad for?

I also wanted to ask why they all suck, but then I realized I already knew the answer to that -- I was gonna say "it cannot be that hard to pull a big scary bad guy out, team up all your favorite heroes, and have a big fireworks show of them punching the baddy as awesomely as possible" and then I remembered oh yeah, every event now is about moping, heroes hitting each other, or both. Just give me Superman punching Dr. Manhattan, for gently caress's sake! This is not a complicated medium! They can yell philosophy at each other during the punches!

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 7, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

So I was just rolling my eyes at the latest issue of Doomsday Clock, the DC Universe-shaking event in which nothing happens and it takes twice as long to not happen, and the thought occurred to me: what was the last actually good event comic? Like, something that got its own special title and didn't just temporarily take over associated books, and had a miniseries, and everything. A proper event comic. Just how long have they been unceasingly bad for?

Secret Wars, but before that, gently caress if I know. Maybe Age of Apocalypse?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CapnAndy posted:

So I was just rolling my eyes at the latest issue of Doomsday Clock, the DC Universe-shaking event in which nothing happens and it takes twice as long to not happen, and the thought occurred to me: what was the last actually good event comic?

Secret Wars, Infinity (if you count that), Final Crisis, 52, Annihilation etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like Metal for how stupidly bombastic it was. It all depends what you want out of an event book. If you want something that matters, or is impactful your mileage might vary. If you want thought provoking I guess there is Final Crisis but I'm not a big fan of that.
I think part of the problem with events is that they get too bloated for their own good, take characters who are doing their own thing in their own books and forces them to deal with something new and that can be very annoying for people following certain books, and usually the stories try force something big to happen whether it is organic or not.