Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

It was kind of hard to miss. Also my brother in law is already over there so we're just waiting for terrible news at this point.

I don't know if you mean Iraq or Australia but either way I hope your brother in law is OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

I don't know if you mean Iraq or Australia but either way I hope your brother in law is OK

Australia's been on fire since before I left but I do have three or four goon buddies over there giving constant updates. BIL is somewhere in the potential warzone, I'm not privy to exact details.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

And none of those shops had TPB selections worth a drat.

I've noticed that with the local stores in this area, as well. Nobody carries the actual books. I know there are stores that carry good TPB selections because I've been in them...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
One thing I noticed is that the local second hand bookstores graphic novel section has exploded over the last few years. Not just old trades either, but a lot of recent stuff too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was a little irritating a both stores mention their "vast selection" in their online presence. The first in AL had two small bookshelves and most of the books looked like they'd been there for ages. I was going to buy a slightly worn book but they wouldn't wiggle on the price despite it looking like it had circulated a library for a decade. This store had a decent back issue selection but their new releases were pretty scattered.

The other in FL had a decent amount of books in the store but it was 90% popular characters only. Like 200 Deadpool trades in a 400 trade Marvel section. I wish I was kidding. A solid half of their trade shelves were discounted damaged books. To their credit, they had an enormous 25 cent and $1 back issues selection.

I also stopped in a Books a Million which had a better selection than both stores, even better than most Barnes & Nobles I've been to.

Madkal posted:

One thing I noticed is that the local second hand bookstores graphic novel section has exploded over the last few years. Not just old trades either, but a lot of recent stuff too.

We have one very large, very cool used book store here but their selection of GNs is bleak. I'm figure the medium has become so popular nothing good ever lasts.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I get most of my trades (and Fantagraphic type books that aren't technically trades) from Half Price Books, which usually has a really good selection of stuff across two big shelves. A few local comic stores have used sections where I've picked stuff up before as well, but I'm just in HPB more often.

HPB also has some single issues but I never really go through them, not sure the quality of what they have, even in the funny little more valuable box they keep the good ones in so you can browse but can't take any out without an employee helping you. I can't imagine you'd ever find a real deal on something collectible, though--much like Goodwill, the internet lets them know if something has value and they charge accordingly. Can see it in board games for sure, where what would have been $10 a few years ago is now $30 or $40. I'm sure they treat single issues the same way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HPB can be great but the selection depends on the store having a decent buyer of singles. I've found a few good trades there. I think locally we must have a huge GN market. Ollies got cleaned out when they had their diamond buy out leaving only poo poo like Grimm Fairy Tales. I still get my employee discount at my old job but I have to special order everything, they've cut back on stock since I've been gone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched that new Wonder Woman cartoon movie. It wasn't very good, but it's got me asking a bigger question; Has Steve Trevor ever been a good character? Even once?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

I watched that new Wonder Woman cartoon movie. It wasn't very good, but it's got me asking a bigger question; Has Steve Trevor ever been a good character? Even once?

Yes, in the recent film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

Yes, in the recent film.

The live action one? He was fine in that, but mainly because he was played by the Chris who isn't the hottest Chris but also isn't part of some weirdo cult. The middle Chris. But still not very interesting or memorable. Just fine. I do agree that's the best Steve Rogers I know of, but if that's the best Steve Rogers there is that's not great for Steve Rogers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

The live action one? He was fine in that, but mainly because he was played by the Chris who isn't the hottest Chris but also isn't part of some weirdo cult. The middle Chris. But still not very interesting or memorable. Just fine. I do agree that's the best Steve Rogers I know of, but if that's the best Steve Rogers there is that's not great for Steve Rogers

Chris Pine is delightful

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Chris Pine isn't the hottest Chris?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The hottest Chris is ChrisCross in honor of his fine work at Milestone and on Captain Marvel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lifg posted:

Chris Pine isn't the hottest Chris?

He's third after Evans and Hemsworth

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My partner and I argue about Chris rankings. She is firmly in the Pine camp, while I am in the Hemsworth camp. She doesn't like Evans, but we at least agree that Pratt's name is appropriate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduchess posted:

The hottest Chris is ChrisCross in honor of his fine work at Milestone and on Captain Marvel.

No that's not right Kris Kross was two guys

E:
Evans
Pine
Hemsworth

That's it there's only the 3

site fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 7, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

She doesn't like Evans

What

THE

gently caress

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Endless Mike posted:

My partner and I argue about Chris rankings. She is firmly in the Pine camp, while I am in the Hemsworth camp. She doesn't like Evans, but we at least agree that Pratt's name is appropriate.

Are you ranking for looks or for star power?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
1. Evans
Long distance to number 2.
2. Hemsworth I guess
3. Pine
4. (-topher) Lee (will always have a permanent spot on any list of Chris)
5. Pratt (fell down a few spots when he started coming across a bit too Bro-ish)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

What

THE

gently caress
It is a strong point of contention in our relationship. The pronunciation of "GIF" is another. I say it is pronounced "gif" but she insists it is pronounced "gif."

lifg posted:

Are you ranking for looks or for star power?
I don't actually know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well you have to break up with her.

Jesus Christ

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

It is a strong point of contention in our relationship. The pronunciation of "GIF" is another. I say it is pronounced "gif" but she insists it is pronounced "gif."

It's clearly pronounced Jiv, you monsters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's gonna take me a while to get through it because it's very dense and also I got the big hardcover edition that weighs like 25 fuckin pounds, but so far From Hell owns

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

It's gonna take me a while to get through it because it's very dense and also I got the big hardcover edition that weighs like 25 fuckin pounds, but so far From Hell owns

Is it the version with all the notes in the back? I almost like those more than the comic itself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Is it the version with all the notes in the back? I almost like those more than the comic itself.

yeah i have this version and it owns

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 24, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

possibly, it does have a bunch of stuff in the back. Here's what it looks like

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

You need 2 bookmarks and to read the page notes concurrently with the comic itself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mine has a different cover but

Skwirl posted:

You need 2 bookmarks and to read the page notes concurrently with the comic itself.

this

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

That sounds like a very nonfun way to read something. Like, maybe I'd do it on a reread to see all the stuff I missed but since this is my first time I'd rather just do it straight.

Also, as I mentioned, this fucker is like 35 pounds. Flipping back and forth like that sounds like a physically nonfun way to read

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

We have that one in the library that I work at. I have always wanted to read it but it looks so freaking daunting that it feels like I have a headache just looking at it.

Archyduchess posted:

When I was in high school I signed up to do a report on William Blake out of a selection of writers solely because I recognized his name from From Hell and I can draw a direct line from that decision and my ensuing mania for Blake to my current profession. Thanks Alan Moore! Sorry I said mean stuff about you in the Dark Side of the Comics Industry thread even though I meant it!

I first hear about Blake from Batman: TAS which had an episode titled Tyger Tiger, and quotes the poem in the episode itself. I thought I was so smart for knowing that poem (thanks to the show). Also, did you know that you can't read in dreams?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That sounds like a very nonfun way to read something. Like, maybe I'd do it on a reread to see all the stuff I missed but since this is my first time I'd rather just do it straight.

Also, as I mentioned, this fucker is like 35 pounds. Flipping back and forth like that sounds like a physically nonfun way to read

Just read the back matter for what you've already read, it has page numbers for it, then make a decision about continuing to do that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the appendices are really interesting and tbh its kinda funny seeing someone who reads a million volumes of boring manga and just read like 15 tpbs they hated balk at something like dreaded backmatter

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
From Hell and New Frontier both have excellent backmatter and while it's not the only reason that I love them it sure as poo poo is one of them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Madkal posted:

We have that one in the library that I work at. I have always wanted to read it but it looks so freaking daunting that it feels like I have a headache just looking at it.

Go for it. As I said, it's very dense and I'm sure there's tons of stuff I'm missing, but it's also somehow at the same time very readable. The art is weird at first but once you start vibing with it it works really well. And you can start to get the significance of when he chooses to have a specific face or building be depicted clearly

Skwirl posted:

Just read the back matter for what you've already read, it has page numbers for it, then make a decision about continuing to do that.

I'll give that a try. Maybe checking the notes after each chapter would work

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What was the consensus on the colour version of From Hell?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

site posted:

the appendices are really interesting and tbh its kinda funny seeing someone who reads a million volumes of boring manga and just read like 15 tpbs they hated balk at something like dreaded backmatter

Were the appendices written by Moore? In general I almost never read forwards or afterwords or whatever if they weren't written by the author of the original work

edit: and I don't read boring manga, I only read good manga

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What was the consensus on the colour version of From Hell?

I have never even seen it, and I haven't even finished the original, but my instinctual gut response upon hearing of the concept is "gently caress no"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gripweed posted:

Were the appendices written by Moore? In general I almost never read forwards or afterwords or whatever if they weren't written by the author of the original work

yes the appendices are literally moore commenting on everything he and eddie put into pretty much every panel and/or page

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

site posted:

yes the appendices are literally moore commenting on everything he and eddie put into pretty much every panel and/or page

Oh OK that makes me more interested. For some reason I was assuming they were like those "Companion" books that are always written by some goober

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

On the other hand I think much of the power of From Hell-- especially as a collected story and not as a serial-- is the sense of escalation and accumulation, and so there's something to be said for just running through the miasma all at once and then checking out the backmatter later. I also think the epilogue chapter offers a really elegant segue from the narrative to the endnotes.

But yeah! The backmatter is excellent and is Moore at close to his best as a syncretist and intellectual scavenger. Don't feel obligated to read them in tandem with the comic but you're definitely doing yourself a disservice if you totally pass them by.