Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pram posted:

it will require a vm running windows xp because the web console only works with ie6

we all know it'll be a normal machine connected to the network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

there's a piece of software here that upon restart randomly assigns the licensing port from 1-65500

my eye twitched

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Boiled Water posted:

we all know it'll be a normal machine connected to the network

ah, i see you've played copy-scanny before

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

my eye twitched

it's for anti-piracy, we were told

e: the best part was when this software was centralized when they found the above out, but the company that made it was on the other side of the planet, so some some poor sod had to call their support at 4am. lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Enterprise grade, make sure the user is informed:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

it's for anti-piracy, we were told

e: the best part was when this software was centralized when they found the above out, but the company that made it was on the other side of the planet, so some some poor sod had to call their support at 4am. lol

Anti piracy what in the world

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Anti piracy what in the world

tbf enterprises are way more lax about obeying the T&C's of commercial contracts than I would have expected. Laws and regulators sure, but if it's another company and they aren't going to catch you then welp, half your prod environment now runs in zone2.test.honestly_this_is_a_test_env.corp.com

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pointsofdata posted:

tbf enterprises are way more lax about obeying the T&C's of commercial contracts than I would have expected. Laws and regulators sure, but if it's another company and they aren't going to catch you then welp, half your prod environment now runs in zone2.test.honestly_this_is_a_test_env.corp.com

that wasn't my point

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight
enterprise grade means the ssl certificates are so gentrified that chrome wont allow you to open the web 0.1 management guis that force download a jar file that java wont allow you to run because they are insecure

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ive had nothing but good experiences with dell prosupport

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cZk posted:

enterprise grade means the ssl certificates are so gentrified that chrome wont allow you to open the web 0.1 management guis that force download a jar file that java wont allow you to run because they are insecure

iDRAC lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

graph posted:

my only issue is how often i needed it for my machines

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Boiled Water posted:

my only issue is how often i needed it for my machines

i think ive had to call maybe 7 times for ~35 units over the past 9 years

one time i called parts in for a unit that had 4h/OSS at 3pm and they sent a guy 3 1/2 hours away to drive it in, had to stay at work until 730p to retrieve it cuz im not doing that to the guy

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cZk posted:

every drac console jar you download pops up like 8 messages you have to click on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

every drac console jar you download pops up like 8 messages you have to click on

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
idrac is fine

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i mean, it works, after a fashion

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

graph posted:

my mother's small business in a nearby kinda-city needs its computer touched, in a "throw it out and make a new one" kind of way

i'm perfectly willing to build the thing and overnight her spare parts and vpn into it and even do phone support, which usually inspires in me irrational levels of instant rage, but there is no reason not to pay dell to do all of these things instead, because a real company that handles money should have people they can yell at and fire doing their work instead of "the boss's kid"

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

pram posted:

i bought me dell servers used and they are still new enough to have html5 idrac

pram
Jun 10, 2001
doesnt sound like enterprise grade hardware tbh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

enterprise grade software means it can spit out a weekly 300 page audit report that will go into a file cabinet, then to a remote storage facility, then to a secure shredder which is re-pulped into new office paper and the circle of reporting continues

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Jonny 290 posted:

enterprise grade: there's a systray icon, but it doesn't do anything when you click on it
gently caress

Jonny 290 posted:

enterprise grade - sorry this won't work at home unless you open a port on your firewall and we're not telling you what it is
gently caress

Jonny 290 posted:

enterprise grade: installing straight to a folder off c:\ and no you cant move it
gently caress!!!!

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
enterprise grade is a long loading screen while the mysql splines are reticulated

enterprise grade is a ui designed circa 2001 and features that have clearly been cobbled on to an aging codebase and probably maintained by 1 person

the save icon is next to the “close all without saving” icon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Enterprise grade is providing setup scripts to install into mssql that don't get shown until the application is installed so you have to install into the native Access db so the config scripts are created so then you can run the scripts against the standalone mssql db and uninstall and reinstall the application

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Enterprise grade is also being provided a single-install license instead of a site license and the sales team doesn't know how to fix it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

enterprise grade: passwords must be 8 chars exactly, but you can buy a firewall product from the same vendor that will block access to the first unless you access the firewall using *telnet* and put in your sso credentials

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Origin posted:

enterprise-grade means it costs enough for larry ellison to buy new dock cleats for his sailboat on his hawaiian island.

https://twitter.com/oracl_ebooks/status/1116917924755800065

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/oracl_ebooks/status/1114537261893324800

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/oracl_ebooks/status/1109535088361046017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

there it is
https://twitter.com/oracl_ebooks/status/1107491521136345089

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

hope that helps, op

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
rear end coverage

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

graph posted:

idrac is fine

at least until you try to firmware update it and it permanently dies because you didn't do a stepped incremental upgrade and there's no way to reflash it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
enterprise grade is milspec but for tech

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
salesforce: some web forms tacked on top of what's basically excel, BUT IN THE CLOUD

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

MrMoo posted:

Enterprise grade, make sure the user is informed:

lol I can relate to this

also enterprise grade: sso isn't supported or uses some weird implementation nobody has ever heard of so everything has to be entered manually which then fails 50%of the time

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
enterprise means that the only way to you send files to the system is through non-TLS FTP

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

enterprise means that the only way to you send files to the system is through non-TLS FTP

yep, got one of those

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The real enterprise is the millions of dollars we spent on support contracts along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

graph posted:

there's a piece of software here that upon restart randomly assigns the licensing port from 1-65500

that sounds like a real piece of software