Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

people at work won't use things like skype, which works well, instead of our weird video conferencing software, which barely works, since it isn't "enterprise grade". same with instant messaging. what's going on?

e: link to the good posts https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887797&pagenumber=10#post495284096

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

enterprise afaik means two things:

* controllable from a central location, aka your local janitorial department

* ten times the price of other solutions

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

working in an office is supposed to be a miserable experience

enterprise grade software ensures that it is

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

our chinese office have rebelled and do everything on wechat or whatever now

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
if you add “for business” to Skype it becomes enterprise grade and worse

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
enterprise grade means it's maintained by a smaller team, but they will bend over backwards to do what you want if you have the right service agreement 💵💵

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

op it means you suspiciously can't find any info on their website, but they will send a rep out and he'll say it does basically whatever you want

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Boiled Water posted:

enterprise afaik means two things:

* controllable from a central location, aka your local janitorial department

* ten times the price of other solutions

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

enterprise grade means it's maintained by a smaller team, but they will bend over backwards to do what you want if you have the right service agreement :goatsecx: :goatsecx:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

enterprise grade means it's maintained by a smaller team, but they will bend over backwards to do what you want if you have the right service agreement 💵💵

this is what they tell my boss but when i make tickets they tell me it will be fixed in next years release which i am fairly certain is a polite way of saying get hosed

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it means they have a team dedicated to tricking non tech ceos into buying it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUX_1jaO_I

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it means there's an enormous services contract attached and you can open a ticket with the vendor so they don't do anything

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Vomik posted:

if you add “for business” to Skype it becomes enterprise grade and worse

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

For like 10 years there were a lot of people who did a real good job of putting the words "java" and "enterprise" really close together a lot of the time and my wires are still all crossed because of this bullshit

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
java beans

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

enterprise means super tiny unresizeable text designed for 1280x720

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
enterprise grade: there's a systray icon, but it doesn't do anything when you click on it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
enterprise grade - sorry this won't work at home unless you open a port on your firewall and we're not telling you what it is

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
enterprise grade: installing straight to a folder off c:\ and no you cant move it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
enterprise grade: .ocx files WILL be involved

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

enterprise grade - sorry this won't work at home unless you open a port on your firewall and we're not telling you what it is

there's a piece of software here that upon restart randomly assigns the licensing port from 1-65500

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

our office has "enterprise grade seal of approval" stickers with the face of one of our old tech ops guys on them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it can't do what you need it to do at your site because it needs to offer the same garbage experience to all users across the entire service area ("planet")

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
remember the episode where the enterprise has a bit of a fender bender and explodes despite theoretically having numerous safety systems to prevent a reactor explosion?

that's enterprise-grade

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"enterprise grade" means when there's a fault the screen explodes and sends you flying across the room

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

flakeloaf posted:

"enterprise grade" means when there's a fault the screen explodes and sends you flying across the room

assembly step 37174: now place the block of c4 directly behind the navigation screen and connect it to the shield deflector array lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just leave the tachyon polarity reversed full time, Geordi, jesus christ thats the first thing you flip every loving time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6mp5hVSSc

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

just leave the tachyon polarity reversed full time, Geordi, jesus christ thats the first thing you flip every loving time

do you have any idea what that does to their mileage?? captain picard isn't made out of dilithium crystals (in most episodes)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
enterprise grade means the sales guys are the best at lying.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Neat, we literally heard this exact sales pitch one month ago from Micro Focus

It's 2019 and my company still has hundreds of computer janitors manually pushing gui buttons every day because automation is too new and scary

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do you have any idea what that does to their mileage?? captain picard isn't made out of dilithium crystals (in most episodes)
sometimes i remember teh one where he turns into a magic computer ghost

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

enterprise-grade means it costs enough for larry ellison to buy new dock cleats for his sailboat on his hawaiian island.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the users, they'll buy enterprise grade products because of the implication

it sounds like you're saying the products are bad so they require a lot of babysitting and support to keep working?

No no, you're missing the point. Our products are good, and they work exceptionally well, but they would never not buy the enterprise versions because of the implication

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

me, a user and also purchaser for my enterprise:

oh

ok

you had me going for the first part, the second part kind of threw me

vendor:

well mr purchaser think about it. Your users will be out there, each looking for tools. What do they see? Nothing but bespoke unsupported solutions.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the virgin open source: apt/zypper/yum, docker image, build from source, download and install release binary. repeat whatever chosen process to upgrade
the chad enterprise: run this "linux based" OVA and give it a million GB of ram or else it's unsupported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it will require a vm running windows xp because the web console only works with ie6