Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Moral Orel's final season and like half of the second season is amazing. The first one and a half are just kinda meh to me personally.

Adult Swim used to have basically an annotated version of the final episode where every now and then you could watch a video of Dino Stamatopoulos commenting on the current scene and I'm mad it's gone now or at least buried on its site since AS has undergone like 10 website revisions since then to make it increasingly worse looking.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A little bit after it got canceled Dino posted an unproduced script for an episode. The idea was that Orel and his friends would end up visiting a prison and there's a whole subplot about how society was perfectly okay with a woman marrying a convicted rapist currently serving time but not okay with a woman marrying someone of the same sex.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

TwoPair posted:

Moral Orel's final season and like half of the second season is amazing. The first one and a half are just kinda meh to me personally.

Adult Swim used to have basically an annotated version of the final episode where every now and then you could watch a video of Dino Stamatopoulos commenting on the current scene and I'm mad it's gone now or at least buried on its site since AS has undergone like 10 website revisions since then to make it increasingly worse looking.

Another one I had forgotten about! Going from memory the early episodes are just sort of, "Ha ha, it sure is funny to watch those uptight WASPs be uptight while Morel gets in hijinks!" but later episodes really peel back the layers and plumb the unfathomable existential torment all of the town's folk are forcing themselves to live through to maintain appearances to each other. The last few episodes and finale are just jaw dropping as the whole house of cards comes crashing down in such a spectacular way. Morel doesn't just get to see veneer peeled back, it gets peeled back and reality is subsequently shoved up his rear end, out his mouth, into his eyeballs, and back down out of his rear end. If you've lived in small town America you owe it to yourself to watch it.

While it's not technically "adult animation" I saw that Viacom sold the Rocko's Modern Life movie project to Netflix last month. The original Rocko was really subversive or just straight up perverse at times for a "kids" show, so I'd guess the twenty year later movie under the helm of Netflix will give up all pretense and just go full on adult.

Edit:

Oh, poo.
VVVV

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 12, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Fabulousity posted:

While it's not technically "adult animation" I saw that Viacom sold the Rocko's Modern Life movie project to Netflix last month. The original Rocko was really subversive or just straight up perverse at times for a "kids" show, so I'd guess the twenty year later movie under the helm of Netflix will give up all pretense and just go full on adult.

Eh while Netflix got the rights to distribute the movie, it was 100% completed back when it was intended to air on Nickelodeon (kinda like how Neo Yokio was produced for the ADHD block but got picked up by Netflix already finished due to being in limbo due to the block being cancelled)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was thinking about the Black Dynamite show and I think it probably would have been better if they went the Mike Tyson Mysteries route and made it more of a parody of 70s hanna-barbera shows.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

So as we all know a lot of adult animation series end up getting canned after a season or two, what are some you wish had lasted longer, personally I feel both Good Vibes and Chozen had a lot of potential and should have gotten second seasons at minimum
IMO Chozen was hot rear end. It aired after Archer at the peak of its popularity and it managed to gently caress up that prime position. I saw the episode with that stripper whose nickname is Onion Pussy and didn't laugh once.

Echoing Ugly Americans as a vastly overlooked, underrated show. I'm still upset that it got canceled while Brickleberry got an additional season, presumably because it had Daniel Tosh as a voice.

Two other shows that had totally opposite fates that I liked were Aqua Teen Hunger Force and MoonBeam City. I'm still sore that Adult Swim arbitrarily decided ATHF needed to end after 11 seasons. The creators intended to keep making episodes until they were bored, and it was fairly cheap to make. I hear that the voice of Frylock currently works in a kitchen at a restaurant in Atlanta. :smith:

MoonBeam City was sort of doomed on arrival because everyone said it was an Archer clone. That's fair for the first couple of episodes, but it ended up becoming its own thing. What didn't help its cause was that it had some high-profile actors and actresses for voices, which had to have been pretty expensive. At one point, new episodes were booted to Thursday at 1:30am, after reruns of The Daily Show and Colbert Report.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
edit: nevermind I'm a dumbass and got character names mixed up so lemme post about something else instead

Anyone watch Ballmastrz: 9009 last year?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Anyone watch Ballmastrz: 9009 last year?

I did! I was kind of surprised to find it wasn’t so much a parody of shounen/sports anime but just, you know, a straight shounen/sports anime with an Adult Swim tone and a post-apocalyptic coat of paint. I dug it though and would watch the hell out of a second season.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

readingatwork posted:

I'm literally just now learning about this show and

1) Holy poo poo that's a weird way to animate faces

2) I laughed out loud several times watching the pilot

I think they use that weird software that animates faces in real-time based on an actor's expressions. It's a fun series, especially if you've ever played a D&D campaign.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I’m so happy that Boondocks is having Aaron Mcgruder back as the creative director. Season 4 was terrible without him.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/06/12/boondocks-reboot-aaron-mcgruder

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I'm probably one of the few black people who is meh regarding the boondocks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I didn't even know there were talks of more Boondocks.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Believe me I was surprised. I honestly thought after season 4s disaster it was dead. And then Mcgruder vanished for a bit (after Black Jesus) so yeah pleasantly surprised they decided to bring it back

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm sure he has a lot to say about how things have been going the last couple of years.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm of mixed feelings about it coming back, cause while Season 4 was a disaster without him, Season 3 wasn't all that much better

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

I'm of mixed feelings about it coming back, cause while Season 4 was a disaster without him, Season 3 wasn't all that much better

Pretty much my feelings exactly. Hopefully it'll have some of that earlier feel.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's interesting that Season 4 is such a disaster that Adult Swim apparently doesn't even want to put it in during reruns. The rerun passes have stopped at the end of 3 when I've seen them on. I think that leaves it in the ranks of Minoriteam and Mongo Wrestling Alliance.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think they use that weird software that animates faces in real-time based on an actor's expressions. It's a fun series, especially if you've ever played a D&D campaign.

At the recommendation of this thread I watched the first episode of Tigtone and if what you said is true it makes the animation even funnier.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Echoing Ugly Americans as a vastly overlooked, underrated show. I'm still upset that it got canceled while Brickleberry got an additional season, presumably because it had Daniel Tosh as a voice.

Brickleberry had it's moments but none of them involved Daniel Tosh's character. For as much as he threw his weight behind the show it was amusing that his self insert character was far and away the laziest and worst part of it. The guys behind the show went on to make Paradise PD on Netflix which is essentially Brickleberry with city police instead of park rangers and all but two different voice actors tossed in: Kyle Kinane takes Tosh's place as a dog rather than a bear, but at least they give him more to do than sit around and make snide remarks. You know, like get black out drunk and/or high.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Can you guys go into why Season 3 of the Boondocks was so bad? I honestly don't remember it at all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I loved Season 3 a lot but if I had to guess it was more so that it leaned back on the political issues that season 1 and 2 did. Also didn’t help that Huey was less on the front and it was more Riley and Grandad. Like Riley and Grandad are great but when the episode focuses on them it gets pretty weak. They felt a bit more flandarizations because they would basically ignore what Huey would say and then blame him for not warning them. Then when season 4 was just a about them it got worse. There was also missed opportunity with the conflict of Huey and Obama. The trailers made out to seem this would be the theme and focused on Huey dealing with his own ideals conflicting with others. Instead we just get like one episode of that and that was it.

That being said you will get a ball to the face if you didn’t like The Red Ball. :v:

That being said I guess I have optimism because when Aaron left he created Black Jesus which I thought was pretty great.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 13, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Honestly more than anything I just didn't like when the animation changed. Which is ironic because iirc that switch to more anime-inspired is what Mcgruder wanted...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm still bitter about Mission Hill not even getting to make the rest of the episodes of its season.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Whalley posted:

I'm still bitter about Mission Hill not even getting to make the rest of the episodes of its season.
in your av, Jim is the executives and the table is the full season.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SardonicTyrant posted:

in your av, Jim is the executives and the table is the full season.

The full season is beardly

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

The full season is beardly
They should have made it purpler.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I always considered Dan vs. to be an adult cartoon.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Well if you're wondering what the Boondocks reboot might look like:

https://twitter.com/Robaato_Art/status/1139294008990150657

For context, this is the guy who's doing the Cryamore game, and did some stuff on the Street Fighter Comics

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BexGu posted:

Can you guys go into why Season 3 of the Boondocks was so bad? I honestly don't remember it at all.

S3 was fine. S4 was absolutely dire, because without McGruder the characters all got flanderized to poo poo, the show became way more about Robert than Huey and Riley, and the political messages went from sometimes-questionable-but-usually-good to :yikes:.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

cartoons123 posted:

Well if you're wondering what the Boondocks reboot might look like:

https://twitter.com/Robaato_Art/status/1139294008990150657

For context, this is the guy who's doing the Cryamore game, and did some stuff on the Street Fighter Comics

If I remember correctly, Cryamore is one of those Kickstarter projects that is never coming out, and the dev changed what the game was going to be mid-development.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If I remember correctly, Cryamore is one of those Kickstarter projects that is never coming out, and the dev changed what the game was going to be mid-development.

I was dumb enough to back it. I don’t think they changed what it was going to be but it sure doesn’t seem to be coming out. I think they’re down to just one “we’re still working on this we swear!” update per year but I’ve pretty much stopped caring.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

S3 was fine. S4 was absolutely dire, because without McGruder the characters all got flanderized to poo poo, the show became way more about Robert than Huey and Riley, and the political messages went from sometimes-questionable-but-usually-good to :yikes:.

I still sometimes think back to the Season 4 finale and shake my head. What a horrible note to end on (until now).

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

readingatwork posted:

Gary and His Demons is pretty great. It's about the adventures of the Chosen One destined to fend off the forces of darkness only now he's old and bitter and has all sorts of mid-life issues. I'm going to be super pissed if there's not a season 2.

You can find it on Vrv but Episode 1 is on YouTube for free: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_b16qK6lg4

readingatwork posted:

Also: Have this GAHD ending credits gif I didn't end up using in the OP:

Thank you so much for this, this has easy become one of my all-time favorite shows.

The tiger episode won me over and it kept getting better before the one-two punch of the sphinx ep and then the tentacle monster ep cemented it. Absurd sincerity is my favorite type of comedy.

For canucks :canada: at least, all of the episodes are available for free on the CBC Gem website: https://gem.cbc.ca/season/gary-and-his-demons/season-1/7f8dbac3-4ee3-4209-8ffd-411a5692fea2

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1142208392339034112

Hell yeah!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
The new episode of Final Space was good.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

The new episode of Final Space was good.

Agreed. They seem to be leaning into the more serious elements a bit more this season which is working for me. Also I got a pretty good laugh out of Gary narrating to us that people find him annoying on Reddit.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I really like that background comedy going on (the kids fusion dance, Hue trying to pick up a cup) in the background when ever some one is having a serious conversation. And Gary scatter brain speeches are still the best.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

readingatwork posted:

Agreed. They seem to be leaning into the more serious elements a bit more this season which is working for me. Also I got a pretty good laugh out of Gary narrating to us that people find him annoying on Reddit.

Yeah, Gary has been toned down just enough to actually work this season I feel.

It also helps that there are other core characters for him to bounce off of now. Both of the kids are great and Clarence manages to be likable and detestable at the same time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I heard it when I knew who it was but I did not know that was conan o brien

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Finally got around to watching the first Episode. Humor is fairly eh, very post-Family Guy Adult Swim stuff that's pretty tired by now plus a couple chuckles. But as a pilot, it looks great, has a pretty good story, just enough taste of a wider world, and a decent promise of emotionality to get invested in. Plus a nice style that mixes TOS Star Trek, Alien, grunge, cute and brutality, while somehow making it all cohesive. Fair to say it's one of the better First Episodes/Pilots I've seen in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Are you talking about Final Space?