Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hello fellow goons. I'm not great at making long, drawn out thread OPs so let's just dive in shall we?

This is the thread you use to discuss the following:
  • Animated series appearing on TV.
  • Animates series appearing on streaming services.
  • Animated series appearing on YouTube or other digital platforms.

What we do not discuss here:

Do you have any recommendations?

I'm really enjoying Camp Camp right now. It's got a good (if not terribly subtle) sense of humor and has better character development than most mainstream shows on actual TV. Watching Max get dragged kicking and screaming into respecting David is very :allears:.

You can watch most of it for free on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGAswTnJgkc

Gary and His Demons is pretty great. It's about the adventures of the Chosen One destined to fend off the forces of darkness only now he's old and bitter and has all sorts of mid-life issues. I'm going to be super pissed if there's not a season 2.

You can find it on Vrv but Episode 1 is on YouTube for free: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_b16qK6lg4

I'm apparently the only person on the internet that liked Final Space but it's my thread so I'm going to give it a shout out here.

You can find it on Hulu and apparently Adult Swim is going to/is already airing it. No free episodes though :(

So what already has a thread?

Here are the shows I know for a fact already have active threads:
American Dad
The Venture Brothers
Tuca and Bertie/Bojack Horseman
Castlevania
King of the Hill
Some cartoon nobody watches about a boy and his alcoholic grandpa

If I missed any big ones let me know and I'll add them to this list. The rest either don't have threads or the ones that existed are old and have fallen off the map so I claim them for my own. MANIFEST DESTINY, MUTHA'FUCKAS!

Also recommended:

the Toonami thread for all your couch surfing at 3AM while stoned needs.

Enjoy!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Still waiting, decades later, for that sequel to Invasion America

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked Final Space, but some stuff came up and I missed the last three episodes. Watching them on Sundays since adult swim is replaying them.

Did anyone else see Tarantula? It was another animated TBS show they dumped in December 2017.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Man it's ridiculous that they haven't aired Close Enough (the Regular Show spiritual successor being made for TBS) yet, we've gotten to the point where we're getting stuff from shows that people who left close enough are involved in (like how a pair of former Close Enough boarders became a board team on Victor & Valentino and their V&V eps have already aired)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Pretty good opening post, should include links to the threads for shows that have them already though, also maybe a link to the Toonami discussion thread as well since it's basically adjacent to this thread due to Adult Swim being where a large percent of this thread's shows air

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty good opening post, should include links to the threads for shows that have them already though, also maybe a link to the Toonami discussion thread as well since it's basically adjacent to this thread due to Adult Swim being where a large percent of this thread's shows air

Done.

So here's a question. Is The Shivering Truth a good show? I honestly can't tell. It feels way too unstructured and it's attempts at comedy don't work most of the time so I'm tempted to file it under "bad" but drat does it nail it's atmosphere and visuals sometimes. Taken in a vacuum a lot of the mini-segments would make for some genuinely terrifying short films if played straight like this one of a kid who can hear things happening at the ocean though a seashell (the things happening are people being murdered).

Also: Have this GAHD ending credits gif I didn't end up using in the OP:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Done.

So here's a question. Is The Shivering Truth a good show? I honestly can't tell. It feels way too unstructured and it's attempts at comedy don't work most of the time so I'm tempted to file it under "bad" but drat does it nail it's atmosphere and visuals sometimes. Taken in a vacuum a lot of the mini-segments would make for some genuinely terrifying short films if played straight like this one of a kid who can hear things happening at the ocean though a seashell (the things happening are people being murdered).

Also: Have this GAHD ending credits gif I didn't end up using in the OP:

You missed the King of The Hill thread

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

You missed the King of The Hill thread

Fixed.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I can't say the Shivering Truth is good but the stop motion is good and it keeps my attention.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I think Shivering Truth is meant specifically for people who enjoy truly dark and hosed up humor. Not dark like most adult comedy shows, where the humor is just terrible things happening to people, but just absolutely morbid. I remember one of the creators said he was inspired to make the show by a really bad drug trip he had, and every episode has that kind of feel. I enjoy it, but I get how a lot of people wouldn't like it.

Also really liked Final Space. I binged it with a free vrv trial, and while I think some of Gary's freak outs got a little annoying, it has a pretty good cast, and is good about having some breathing room for the characters to get to know each other.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Currently watching through Final Space (it’s a Netflix show in the UK), and boy, it sure takes a right turn in Episode 6, huh?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 8, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Currently watching through Final Space (it’s a Netflix show in the UK), and boy, it sure takes a right turn in Episode 6, huh?

I think I got to around episode 4 or 5 before I decided it wasn't holding my interest. Did I bow out just before it gets good?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

J-Spot posted:

I think I got to around episode 4 or 5 before I decided it wasn't holding my interest. Did I bow out just before it gets good?

It wasn’t really holding my interest much either, but my bf made me stick with it till then, and it does start taking itself much more seriously from a very specific point onwards (in ep 6).

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think Camp Camp is my favorite of RT's animated offerings that I've watched, and I'm always really impressed by how good of a VA Michael Jones is given his origins.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
For some reason the animation in GaHD reminds me of Monkey Dust. It's pretty excellent

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The_Doctor posted:

It wasn’t really holding my interest much either, but my bf made me stick with it till then, and it does start taking itself much more seriously from a very specific point onwards (in ep 6).

That is kind of the problem with the series, it wants to be a comedy show and a serious drama.

Despite Genndy Tartakovsky, kind of messing up with Samurai Jack, I'm really looking forward to Primal. It sucks that western non-comedy animated shows aimed at an older audience are so rare.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh cool, I didn't know that Genndy had started a new project. I thought he was still doing Hotel Transylvania.

The revival season of Samurai Jack was...alright. It was about what I'd expect, considering how it was trying to do a finale to a story that the original series had no real intent to finish. Kinda shows why it's not always the best idea to go back to old material.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Final Space was beautifully animated and had some great voice work other than Olan Roger's constant exasperated howling as Gary. Couldn't make it through the season on the first go around but maybe I'll give it another look since it got a second.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Done.

I loving loved The Shivering Truth but then I'm also a sucker for anything that Chatman/Lee do. Although I do think the pilot is actually the strongest episode simply because of the one two punch of the suicide and chaos theory sketches.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Two other really good Adult Swim cartoons are Hot Streets and Tigtone. Hot Streets follows Officers Branksy (JD Ryznar) and French (Scott Chernoff) who work for the titular Hot Streets bureau which deals with weird cases. In S1 Hot Streets was run by Su Park (played by Ming-Na) while in S2 it is headed by John Wayne Jet Wayne Jr (a tiny talking airplane played by Ernie Hudson.) Also joining Bransky and French on their cases is Bransky's niece Jen (Chelsea Kane) and her dog Chubbie Webers (Justin Roiland.)

Tigtone has a weird animation style but it is still extremely funny. Basically Tigtone is what happens if a videogame player actually inhabited a fantasy world. Tigtone is only interested in doing quests and getting rewards from said quests. Also Tigtone always chooses the worst possible outcome for every event, like when sky pirates start attacking the kingdom stealing all their wine Tigtone solves the problem by turning them all into vampires so instead of wine they drink blood.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So as we all know a lot of adult animation series end up getting canned after a season or two, what are some you wish had lasted longer, personally I feel both Good Vibes and Chozen had a lot of potential and should have gotten second seasons at minimum

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

So as we all know a lot of adult animation series end up getting canned after a season or two, what are some you wish had lasted longer, personally I feel both Good Vibes and Chozen had a lot of potential and should have gotten second seasons at minimum
Korgoth the Barbarian and The Amazing Screw on Head. Only made one episode of each like 15 years ago and still makes me sad.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Just to cover the bases, does this thread also cover animated movies?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Just to cover the bases, does this thread also cover animated movies?

There’s an animation thread in CD here, but obviously there’s going to be a little overlap.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

The Oblongs and Ugly Americans, loved both and wouldn't have minded another season or two each.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fabulousity posted:

Final Space was beautifully animated and had some great voice work other than Olan Roger's constant exasperated howling as Gary. Couldn't make it through the season on the first go around but maybe I'll give it another look since it got a second.

The tonal whiplash on this show just killed it for me. The main plot is a rather dark story about a sadistic alien trying to destroy the universe, it's played as completely straight and real and almost every character involved is a serious militaristic-type who risks their life every episode... and into all this the show centers itself around Gary, who is basically a manic crazy person on cocaine. He's more exaggerated and energetic than anything you'd see in, say, Futurama, to the point that I kept feeling like he'd fit right into an actual children's cartoon, the kind where every single moment has to have something exciting or the 4-year-olds will lose interest. It's just so out-of-place next to everyone else and everything that's happening. It makes the entire world ring false to some degree, because why on earth are Gwen and Avocato working with him? He's obviously an insane person that needs to be locked up somewhere he can be medicated and have constant supervision, no one should be trusting him with a jetpack or a laser pistol.

I mean, I guess that's the joke, but it just made the world itself seem inconsistent. Fry can be a goofy idiot and still succeed in Futurama's world because everything there is a little goofy too. In Future Space's world, Gary would have been literally committed years ago.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

The tonal whiplash on this show just killed it for me. The main plot is a rather dark story about a sadistic alien trying to destroy the universe, it's played as completely straight and real and almost every character involved is a serious militaristic-type who risks their life every episode... and into all this the show centers itself around Gary, who is basically a manic crazy person on cocaine. He's more exaggerated and energetic than anything you'd see in, say, Futurama, to the point that I kept feeling like he'd fit right into an actual children's cartoon, the kind where every single moment has to have something exciting or the 4-year-olds will lose interest. It's just so out-of-place next to everyone else and everything that's happening. It makes the entire world ring false to some degree, because why on earth are Gwen and Avocato working with him? He's obviously an insane person that needs to be locked up somewhere he can be medicated and have constant supervision, no one should be trusting him with a jetpack or a laser pistol.

I mean, I guess that's the joke, but it just made the world itself seem inconsistent. Fry can be a goofy idiot and still succeed in Futurama's world because everything there is a little goofy too. In Future Space's world, Gary would have been literally committed years ago.

My complaints go a step beyond the situation being unbelievable, though it is that.

You get the sense that he's written as an incompetent, horny idiot because it's meant to be a normal, relatable reaction, but it's not. He's an arsehole with no respect for human life, who screams toxic nerd in every little thing he does. A couple of curt dismissals from the cast doesn't justify any of this poo poo, because the narrative weight is behind the guy being a hero, and they even give him a bunch of self-sacrificing speechifying to support that. (Which he spends talking about himself and cracking off colour jokes, naturally).

He's not got enough weight to be sufficiently dramatic -- no-one on the show does -- and he's not funny enough, nor is the situation comic enough, to support his antics. I think this is partly down to the bad guy too, who's just too nasty to work as a foil to a slacker goof who isn't taking things seriously. David Tennant is tying knots in people's intestines just to watch them choke on their own poo poo over here, and Gary's in a screwball comedy romance over here. The tones don't complement each other or even comment on each other, they just exist.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

McSpanky posted:

The Oblongs and Ugly Americans, loved both and wouldn't have minded another season or two each.

Whoa, I forgot all about Ugly Americans. That show is almost ten years old now :stare: Kurt Metzger as basically Undead Bender was great. Callie and Leonard also great. First season Twayne as a malicious all powerful demon middle manager muzzled only by HR and office environment social norms was also great. Season two Twayne as a mewling momma's boy not very great. Either way the show deserved more seasons than it got.

On a different note how about Mike Tyson's Mysteries? I guess adding Mike Tyson to something like Scooby Doo could only ever elevate it to pure art. Apparently he ad libs some of the dialogue but I have no idea how much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a really great episode of Mike Tyson Mysteries last season where they finally explained what was going on with the opening of the show.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I enjoyed Final Space a great deal, although I thought the main character had a personality that seemed like it was trying for "I have been in my own in space for too long" but came off a bit more as "I am kooky and random!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
One show that I feel like really doesn't get enough play is, HBO's Spawn animated series. The reasons for this are frankly pretty obvious- I mean, for one, it's loving Spawn. But, like, I've been rewatching it, and it's actually really loving good.

First and most obviously, the show's goddamn beautiful. It's clearly not incredibly high-budget, but there's enough love and care put into the aesthetic to blow right past that limitation. The way it uses light and shadow is just absolutely gorgeous and, even if it wasn't more Spawn, I'd loving love if another show looked like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEjjj6smZP8

Past that, though, it's just a really bizarrely well-thought-out and well-written show given the source material. For any given Spawn character who shows up in this series, this is probably the best treatment they've ever been given; the Clown is probably the most unchanged, and even he's way more of a creepy sadistic rear end in a top hat than an outright wisecracker/exposition-bot. Spawn himself actually has a personality beyond "grumblegrumblegrumble WANDAAAAAAA grumblegrumble;" he actually has a legitimate character arc, where he begins as a sort of opportunistic street-predator obsessed with getting revenge and tying up his loose ends, and eventually sheds that in favor of protecting the homeless and downtrodden he lives among. Wanda, for her part, is actually a really strong character in this iteration, and gets at least one really fantastic subplot where she (a public defender) takes over a mentally disabled man's case and ends up blowing open a massive conspiracy.

As you might have also figured, this show is actually weirdly progressive. Like, I don't even know how this happened, but somehow this is an adult animated series with two black protagonists and a specific fixation on the welfare of the homeless and mentally disturbed, from the loving 90s. It feels bizarrely like something you'd see chuds bitching about nowadays, and I'm sort of curious if it got similar reactions back in the day, now that I think about it.

It's kind of like if Batman: The Animated Series got in a The Fly teleporter accident with a late-80s, early-90s anime OVA (which I guess isn't shocking, since Yoshiaki Kawajiri, director of Ninja Scroll, was the animation supervisor for at least some of it). If you have Prime, the whole thing's on there, and I believe it's also on Youtube in some form; I recommend Prime, because while the video quality isn't any great shakes on either, you'll probably miss the Todd McFarlane intros on the latter, and those are honestly cute and really sell the whole thing as an auteur-driven labor of love.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Fabulousity posted:

Whoa, I forgot all about Ugly Americans. That show is almost ten years old now :stare: Kurt Metzger as basically Undead Bender was great. Callie and Leonard also great. First season Twayne as a malicious all powerful demon middle manager muzzled only by HR and office environment social norms was also great. Season two Twayne as a mewling momma's boy not very great. Either way the show deserved more seasons than it got.

On a different note how about Mike Tyson's Mysteries? I guess adding Mike Tyson to something like Scooby Doo could only ever elevate it to pure art. Apparently he ad libs some of the dialogue but I have no idea how much.

It's surprisingly enjoyable. Though I'm a sucker for anything with Norm McDonnald in it so I'm biassed.

Also Ugly Americans kicked rear end and is tragically underappreciated.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
The Spawn show was impressive in how many tricks it used to cover its limited animation.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I was shocked Chozen got away with some of its lyrics considering it was at least several years before FX started allowing more profanity on their shows.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Man it's ridiculous that they haven't aired Close Enough (the Regular Show spiritual successor being made for TBS) yet, we've gotten to the point where we're getting stuff from shows that people who left close enough are involved in (like how a pair of former Close Enough boarders became a board team on Victor & Valentino and their V&V eps have already aired)

I can't find were I read it but Close Enough fell victim to TBS dropping all their animation except for American Dad. (Which they still might do after burning through the massive American Dad backlong). Rumor had it was being retooled to fit into a 15 min structure and move to Adult Swim like Final Space.

muscles like this! posted:

Tigtone has a weird animation style but it is still extremely funny. Basically Tigtone is what happens if a videogame player actually inhabited a fantasy world. Tigtone is only interested in doing quests and getting rewards from said quests. Also Tigtone always chooses the worst possible outcome for every event, like when sky pirates start attacking the kingdom stealing all their wine Tigtone solves the problem by turning them all into vampires so instead of wine they drink blood.

Tigtone getting hyped as gently caress about a quest and then his sheer disappointment at finding out it was a escort quests was funny as hell.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 11, 2019

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I wish Ugly Americans had lived.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I've only seen the TigTone pilot that's up on YouTube, but that it was great.

The magic marbles bit got a very literal lol out of me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part of the Tigtone pilot is that it was 5 years between the pilot being made and the show starting. Which means that yes, Tigtone was totally allowed to use his power to command animals again.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

drrockso20 posted:

How about internet favorite Moral Orel? Nothing quite like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTtYgebfxIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqDwiekW9qo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dammit I forgot how much I loved that show back in the day. Now I have another series I need to rewatch...

muscles like this! posted:

The best part of the Tigtone pilot is that it was 5 years between the pilot being made and the show starting. Which means that yes, Tigtone was totally allowed to use his power to command animals again.

I'm literally just now learning about this show and

1) Holy poo poo that's a weird way to animate faces

2) I laughed out loud several times watching the pilot