Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Das Boo posted:

Beastars is worth getting the manga for very cutely-drawn animals often doing animal things.

This owl does not loving matter, but I enjoy every minute of his existence:

Lookit this squishy bunny:

Lookit these waggle dogs:

Not pictured is the nudist seal, who is amazing.

yeah, i might buy a box set of the mange tonight if i see one, if not maybe a couple volumes. so is the comic over over now or is it doing different stuff in the universe? I do very much like the animal people deisgns, like alot of the bodies are very human but it doesnt suffer from the furry design problem is everyone is a basicaly some sort of fox shape. like lagoshi is loving monseriously tall and looks like a claymation warewolf. same with juno. the most human looking one so for is louis.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the manga’s over, itagaki very infrequently releases new chapters of her unrelated anthology series Beast Complex

and yeah Legosi’s design is good. towering beady-eyed Frankenstein boy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the manga’s over, itagaki very infrequently releases new chapters of her unrelated anthology series Beast Complex

and yeah Legosi’s design is good. towering beady-eyed Frankenstein boy

Yeah I genuinely love all the designs. and I am ok with it being over. I like stuff that has a beginning and ending. I mean I am sure shonen jump stuff is good but i don’t want to read 980 volumes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

But yeah, it's extremely flawed as a story while being full of incredibly enjoyable moments.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So do they gently caress or not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

So do they gently caress or not.

I believe so. Pretty a lot of people gently caress.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Big if true

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

Big if true

Everyone fucks the rabbit.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Das Boo posted:

But yeah, it's extremely flawed as a story while being full of incredibly enjoyable moments.
Yeah, I had to peace out halfway because the writing wasn't coming together for me. Others seem to have a higher tolerance of that kind of thing than I do, and can enjoy the aesthetics/moments alone and sort of look the other way when it comes to the plotting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Beastars also stood out for a 'furry' anime which didn't do the 'males are animals, females are teenage girls wearing cosplay ears' poo poo that everyone mocked.

To be fair, the whole predator and prey dynamic is something they clearly built the series around at least at first, the whole deal with a submissive predator being sexually pursued by prey animals as mentioned.

Oddly enough One Piece probably is one of the first anime to have furry characters without additional weird baggage. Besides being Saiyans, but I don't think anyone complains about that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It is a real shame Beastars fell apart so catastrophically because the start was an absolute banger. Ah well.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
They gave the giant snake that did practically Nothing some really stellar hype music for their moment or so---the wildly uneven efforts of the production of, especially, season 2 really was something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be fair, the whole predator and prey dynamic is something they clearly built the series around at least at first, the whole deal with a submissive predator being sexually pursued by prey animals as mentioned.

It's basically a play on words. "Carnivore" or meat-eater is a phrase in Japanese that can be used to mean romantically and sexually aggressive. Similarly, "herbivore" is someone romantically and sexually passive. As such, the wolf is a herbivore and the rabbit is a carnivore.

There's two associated terms to this that's essentially "X on the outside, Y on the inside" and those are stuffed cabbage and bacon wrapped veggie iirc

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Xelkelvos posted:

It's basically a play on words. "Carnivore" or meat-eater is a phrase in Japanese that can be used to mean romantically and sexually aggressive. Similarly, "herbivore" is someone romantically and sexually passive. As such, the wolf is a herbivore and the rabbit is a carnivore.

There's two associated terms to this that's essentially "X on the outside, Y on the inside" and those are stuffed cabbage and bacon wrapped veggie iirc

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is a real shame Beastars fell apart so catastrophically because the start was an absolute banger. Ah well.

yeah. i feel like the issue is it works as a shorter thing(maybe 12 volums instead of 22) and the author sorta ran out of ideas that would play with the setting or what she wanted to say. i am gonna watch both seasons then read the manga and see what i think.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i feel like the issue is it works as a shorter thing(maybe 12 volums instead of 22) and the author sorta ran out of ideas that would play with the setting or what she wanted to say. i am gonna watch both seasons then read the manga and see what i think.

The author had plenty of interesting ideas, she just failed to follow through with any of them. I think part of the issue was that she was way too much in love with the main antagonist, so he was basically consuming the entire narrative and everything had to go back directly to him or get dropped. He also had so much plot armor that nothing interesting would happen to him, and he'd just bounce right back. Like he would just shrug off being shot and its not just normal shounen antics. All the characters were surprised when it happened.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 21, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

even the titular concept of a beastar never really goes anywhere in the grand scheme of things

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is that like a gangstar?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The author had plenty of interesting ideas, she just failed to follow through with any of them. I think part of the issue was that she was way too much in love with the main antagonist, so he was basically consuming the entire narrative and everything had to go back directly to him or get dropped. He also had so much plot armor that nothing interesting would happen to him, and he'd just bounce right back. Like he would just shrug off being shot and its not just normal shounen antics. All the characters were surprised when it happened.

yeah so she just made animal ramsay bolton except without the satifying ending of the character probably.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was really disappointing when the Beastar Galactica finally made it to Earth.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I highly doubt its going to be good, but the ARK animated series dropped with an insane cast
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1770757017876983934 they must have spent a shitton of money on it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I highly doubt its going to be good, but the ARK animated series dropped with an insane cast
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1770757017876983934 they must have spent a shitton of money on it.
Paying to have all those actors voice act for it and then just suddenly releasing it with zero prior announcement or advertising seems pretty loving dumb to me but what do I know

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, I’ve never read Beastars, but I assumed the wolf and the stag were dating or something ‘will they won’t they?’-esque.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I liked the two seasons I watched of Beastars. I'm a bit sad that Studio Orange got all caught up with that and didn't continue making Land of the Lustrous, but then again that's another manga that arguably goes off the rails. Would still be cool to see how they would adapt the rest of it.

X-Men 97 is pretty good. Dunno if it counts as "adult animation" but its definitely made for a nostalgia crowd. The animation is, according to the supervisor, 99% hand drawn. The fact that they look like cg models and the end credits have rotating cg models that look exactly like the characters is just evidence that somewhere along in the process cg was used to... help keep things on model? Maybe for the animators to draw over or just study like Disney guys would use maquettes? It's inconclusive. The credits suggest the actual animation staff is tiny though so they must be using some modern efficiencies. Also it moves kinda weird.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The best explanation is they used the models for reference or scene blocking, with artists drawing over them later.

The worst is they're pulling a Disney "Hey it's CG but we're pretending it's 2D animation, even with actual examples of 2D animation in the same shot, nobody will notice".

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Ark II and this animated series were supposed both be released in 2022. ARK II has been vaporware since the announcement in 2020. The series sat on the shelf for 2 years waiting for a cross-promotion that increasing looks like it to never happen.

I wonder if Palworld, which is basically the same game from a small dev, doing gangbusters got the money people to finally take whatever they can get as the Wildcard devs have proven themselves incompetent.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Neeksy posted:

The best explanation is they used the models for reference or scene blocking, with artists drawing over them later.

The worst is they're pulling a Disney "Hey it's CG but we're pretending it's 2D animation, even with actual examples of 2D animation in the same shot, nobody will notice".

I can see that if they're doing really dynamic scenes, it's really hard to arbitrarily match a perspective and action within it from all the moving angles you might want for cool cinematic shots.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The difference comes with actually doing a traceback vs. pretending that a cel-shader plugin on a CG model is good enough.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's truly an insane cast. I'm not good with names but I recognized everyone except Devery Jacobs on first take. She's great too.

Honestly, I might watch that on the strength of the cast alone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, I’ve never read Beastars, but I assumed the wolf and the stag were dating or something ‘will they won’t they?’-esque.

It’s more about the wolf trying to come to terms with him being a wolf who wants to gently caress someone he almost ate and the deer realizing he is projecting and wants a big carnivore mommy. Also the rabbit loving everyone and the wolf girl trying to understand what wolf guy sees in said rabbit, then trying to figure herself out.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 22, 2024

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ccs posted:

X-Men 97 is pretty good. Dunno if it counts as "adult animation" but its definitely made for a nostalgia crowd. The animation is, according to the supervisor, 99% hand drawn. The fact that they look like cg models and the end credits have rotating cg models that look exactly like the characters is just evidence that somewhere along in the process cg was used to... help keep things on model? Maybe for the animators to draw over or just study like Disney guys would use maquettes? It's inconclusive. The credits suggest the actual animation staff is tiny though so they must be using some modern efficiencies. Also it moves kinda weird.

Haven't watched the new show yet, but maybe it's another callback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P4-lgDrHpI

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always thought that bit was meant to advertise for the action figures.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So did anyone actually watch any of that Ark series that got unceremoniously dropped on Paramount+ the other day? If so, how is it?

For that matter, how’s the game it’s based on? I’d never heard of it until just now

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The game Ark: Survival Evolved came out 9 years ago, so this cartoon is a very odd choice.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I watched clips of that X-Men 97 and I would believe that they used 3D models to block things and then draw over them because it didn't look like there was a lot of stretch and squish in the animation. Everyone looked Extremely On-Model at all times.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The_Doctor posted:

The game Ark: Survival Evolved came out 9 years ago, so this cartoon is a very odd choice.

They have a new one coming out this year

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Its meant for the sequel game, which looks like it going to be a trainwreck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah Vin Diesel is supposed to be in the sequel playing, I assume, the same character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was the original game any good? Like I said, I’d never heard of this until the release of the animated series was announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Larryb posted:

Was the original game any good? Like I said, I’d never heard of this until the release of the animated series was announced
it's a sprawling, complicated survival game with more content than quality, and with little in the way of modern refinement of the genre. But that huge pile of content is riding dinosaurs, people love dinosaurs~