Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Gaunab posted:

Are you talking about Final Space?

Yes, also I finished the rest of the season in like 2 days. Story is phenomenal, and the characters even grew on me. I think they finally found the comedic voice of the series, as well as Garry's character and place in it, with the last few episodes. I think it's really cool the show managed to not fall off, forgotten, after one season considering how much of a surprise it was.

Edit: I feel like Garry and his whole deal was basically a trojan horse, giving the series the perception of a regular Adult Animation comedy when it's really a semi-serious space opera. Season 1 opening Garry was pretty much Horny Space Peter Griffin, Season 2 opening is basically dumbass Han Solo. The bit in the season 1 finale where they revisit the guy who was knocked out is a pretty good encapsulation in how the show grew and allowed to evolve into something a lot more promising than the pilot/first episode.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey, what's the story with that JG Quintel show on TBS? I saw a commercial for it a while ago and have heard nothing since.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

get that OUT of my face posted:

Hey, what's the story with that JG Quintel show on TBS? I saw a commercial for it a while ago and have heard nothing since.

There hasn't been any more news about it for almost a year, so there is probably some sort of production issue.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

There's been info, but not a lot and I don't think all of its confirmed. What I've heard is that scripts for the 1st and possible(?) second season are completed but there's been some stuff that's been messing it up. Some are saying the Louie CK cartoon getting cancelled messed up the idea of a block with that American Dad, and Final Space so they sorta shelved it. And now with the AT&T merger it seems like TBS's programming is being shifted again, we're it looks like they'll stop being the ones to premiere animation at the very least (hence Final Space being premiered on Adult Swim first now). Because of that it looks like the JG Quintel show might be moving there, and also might be retooled from a half-hour show down to the usual adult swim 11 minute runtime, which sucks but what you gonna do, it's a mess

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Edit: I feel like Garry and his whole deal was basically a trojan horse, giving the series the perception of a regular Adult Animation comedy when it's really a semi-serious space opera. Season 1 opening Garry was pretty much Horny Space Peter Griffin, Season 2 opening is basically dumbass Han Solo. The bit in the season 1 finale where they revisit the guy who was knocked out is a pretty good encapsulation in how the show grew and allowed to evolve into something a lot more promising than the pilot/first episode.

I feel Gary's start is also very important to the story even if he's quite grating, He's not a smart person but he does actually grow throughout the season a bit. He goes from someone with delusions of grandeur to somehow who, while still a bit full of himself, is making an effort to be a better person. Gary is a flawed person, but the show builds him up enough over time that you still root for him in the end.

The first season also had the issue with it was Gary and HUE carrying it with other characters dropping in and out. Season 2 has greatly benefited from Gary having a much larger regular cast to bounce off of as I mentioned before.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

cartoons123 posted:

There's been info, but not a lot and I don't think all of its confirmed. What I've heard is that scripts for the 1st and possible(?) second season are completed but there's been some stuff that's been messing it up. Some are saying the Louie CK cartoon getting cancelled messed up the idea of a block with that American Dad, and Final Space so they sorta shelved it. And now with the AT&T merger it seems like TBS's programming is being shifted again, we're it looks like they'll stop being the ones to premiere animation at the very least (hence Final Space being premiered on Adult Swim first now). Because of that it looks like the JG Quintel show might be moving there, and also might be retooled from a half-hour show down to the usual adult swim 11 minute runtime, which sucks but what you gonna do, it's a mess

I think the first season is done, and has been for a long while. This is evidenced by people like boarders and others who work down the line from the writing mentioning working on it a while ago and now having moved on to other shows. Really, I don't think there's any production issues or retooling that's stopping it from airing - it's likely just corporate politics and the Louis CK thing causing Close Enough to fall between the cracks and end up in limbo.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A Close Enough wiki already existing is pretty funny to me

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

YES, MORE QUESTS! Tigtone was renewed for s2! (Also Ballmastrz)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fabulousity posted:

Whoa, I forgot all about Ugly Americans. That show is almost ten years old now :stare: Kurt Metzger as basically Undead Bender was great. Callie and Leonard also great. First season Twayne as a malicious all powerful demon middle manager muzzled only by HR and office environment social norms was also great. Season two Twayne as a mewling momma's boy not very great. Either way the show deserved more seasons than it got.

On a different note how about Mike Tyson's Mysteries? I guess adding Mike Tyson to something like Scooby Doo could only ever elevate it to pure art. Apparently he ad libs some of the dialogue but I have no idea how much.

Apparently sometimes when Mike flubs his lines they just leave it in if it's funnier.

Mike Tyson Mysteries feels like it could share a universe with the Venture Bros.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

YES, MORE QUESTS! Tigtone was renewed for s2! (Also Ballmastrz)

Yay! :dance:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like Ballmasterz more than Super Jail because it feels like it has more heart if that makes any sense.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I love Ballmastrz, but I was also a huge Superjail fan. I just dig Karacas’ style and vibe. It’s very cruel, frenetic, dystopian America.

Happy to hear that it’s getting another season.

Tigtone just never clicked for me. Not a fan of the art style, and the humor just never landed right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

All the beeping on this week's Mike Tyson Mysteries was pretty great.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Insanite posted:

Tigtone just never clicked for me. Not a fan of the art style, and the humor just never landed right.

If I had to guess I'd say they originally drew the character's faces with eyes and mouths wide open, and then use that Adobe Photoshop image stretching thing to kind of pull things back into place depending on the expression needed, if that makes sense.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So because I was reminded that it existed, I went and watched some of "Peepoodo & The Super gently caress Friends" and it might just be one of the most depraved shows I've ever seen, and yet it's oddly sweet at times too

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

So because I was reminded that it existed, I went and watched some of "Peepoodo & The Super gently caress Friends" and it might just be one of the most depraved shows I've ever seen, and yet it's oddly sweet at times too

That was way more animal genitalia than I was expecting but I like the pro assplay message so I'm calling it good for now.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Vakal posted:

If I had to guess I'd say they originally drew the character's faces with eyes and mouths wide open, and then use that Adobe Photoshop image stretching thing to kind of pull things back into place depending on the expression needed, if that makes sense.

Tigtone uses a face tracking software one of the show runners cobbled together which is why everyone animates so strangely. It's both incredible and terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQN4SImirU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Mike Tyson Mysteries is consistently funny.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Final Space is still good and still heavy. It looks like the characters are still going to be put through the ringer.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
This season of Final Space is great.

*a man dies horribly at his own wedding*

HUE: *tosses rice* “There. Now the birds will die too”

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

drrockso20 posted:

The guy who made that show is into scat and it shows

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah FS is a solid show. It's like a space dramedy and it's pretty as hell.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Ultimate Doge posted:

The guy who made that show is into scat and it shows

Did you meet him at the convention?

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

Did you meet him at the convention?

No he's just known for drawing a lot of it and posting it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah FS is a solid show. It's like a space dramedy and it's pretty as hell.

Season one starts off a bit rough but when the plot kicks into gear it's great.

Season two has been great from the start as they've managed to polish a lot of the rougher edges.

I did not see the end of episode four coming. What a gut punch.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

drrockso20 posted:

Oh Yeah!
The guy who did Peepoodo also did "Lastman" which is an awesome comic and show.

It's basically french fighting anime. Starts off pretty shonen/fighty but becomes pretty dark and horrory.
Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z4yuUJ9T0I .

Here's a clip

You can watch it here (dubbed voices are horrible, watch with subtitles)
https://www.lastman.vrv.co/

Also this is by far the best episode of Peepoodo :

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 20, 2019

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Lastman is apparently also getting a second season:

https://twitter.com/LastmanTV/status/1139164324449140736

which is just cool as hell, ofc.

Also Bobbypills (the studio behind Peepoodo) is working on a number of projects, including Princess Apocalypse which looks just about what you'd expect from that creative team:

https://twitter.com/Bobbypills_/status/1135958978071056384

So yeah the French are basically saving anime Western adult-oriented animation

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Plus Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal is being done at a French studio
https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1152478801781301248?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a good time to be a Ouiaboo.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress!?

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1154150458266570755?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Probably because no-one watched it? Netflix could have got behind it more.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've heard speculation it's retaliation against the production studio for unionizing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

I've heard speculation it's retaliation against the production studio for unionizing.

It's probably a combination of this and the algorithm screwing the show. It was hardly promoted.

I also suspect the next season of Bojack will end up being the last due to the union thing too.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

It's probably a combination of this and the algorithm screwing the show. It was hardly promoted.

I also suspect the next season of Bojack will end up being the last due to the union thing too.

Good. That means I'll finally be able to drop my Netflix subscription and save a few bucks a month.

Somewhat related: Finished S2 of Aggretsuko. I love the characters but I wish so badly that it were even slightly subversive. It presents itself as a satire of modern living but then goes out of it's way to reaffirm everything bad in Retsuko's life. Her literal sexist pig of a boss is actually a big softie inside and just really wants her to succeed. Her insane coworker just needed a little reassurance. Her soul sucking abusive job is actaully something she loves and chooses it over the opportunity to do literally whatever she wanted with unlimited funds at her disposal. I mean what the gently caress show!?

Also, I really hated the by-the-book way the show handled the topic of marriage this season. For those who haven't seen it the season opens with her mom giving Retsuko poo poo for not dating. Then while getting a driver's license (which is apparently a big enough deal in Japan to warrant putting it on a resume) she ends up dating a super-nice slacker guy who turns out to be a tech startup billionaire. The catch is that he doesn't want to get married or have kids. Ultimately she dumps him because she realizes that that marriage is something she does want after all. This is fine I guess but I really wish the show would have done it the other way around. Imagine if the billionaire slacker guy was the one who wanted kids and the relationship ends because Ritsuko decides it's not something she wants. Now you have a show that tells women that it's OK to choose your own path and buck society's script for you. But despite being about how bullshit modern living is Aggretsuko isn't interested in upsetting the apple cart at all which is really a bummer.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

readingatwork posted:

Also, I really hated the by-the-book way the show handled the topic of marriage this season. For those who haven't seen it the season opens with her mom giving Retsuko poo poo for not dating. Then while getting a driver's license (which is apparently a big enough deal in Japan to warrant putting it on a resume) she ends up dating a super-nice slacker guy who turns out to be a tech startup billionaire. The catch is that he doesn't want to get married or have kids. Ultimately she dumps him because she realizes that that marriage is something she does want after all. This is fine I guess but I really wish the show would have done it the other way around. Imagine if the billionaire slacker guy was the one who wanted kids and the relationship ends because Ritsuko decides it's not something she wants. Now you have a show that tells women that it's OK to choose your own path and buck society's script for you. But despite being about how bullshit modern living is Aggretsuko isn't interested in upsetting the apple cart at all which is really a bummer.

Japan has the oldest average population in the world and is rather desperate to get young people to want to have families and children. It's really no surprise at all that the show would push for that.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 25, 2019

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It feels like the second season was done by different writers. I liked it but the fact alot of things from Season 1 changed was just yeah... That and basically reverting to status quo Whats wrong with just living with someone who loves you? The whole oh you gotta get married did felt bullshit

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Aggretsuko is kind of weird. That being said dreamy super smart eccentric isn't endgame. I really did not like his smug character. "Well why should I follow the rules of society and slightly tilt my head if I take a turn? That seems like an unnecessary hassle. I just can't pass the exam this way." That's one of the first things he said and I hated him since then. Also he had a real messiah complex. He wanted to get his license to replace the dummy driver, but still pay that guy. It's not like big companies would do similar things, if his AI replaces the workforce. He was like a silicon valley bro, mixed with an esoteric herbal tea farmer.

But yeah, this show does feel really regressive sometimes. Especially how it implies that chauvinist pigboss is actually really competent at his job and only tries to do his best. He's just a bit old fashioned and you shouldn't mind it too much! Also females can't focus on work whatsoever once they've fallen in love, amirite?

I do like the characters, but there are some underlining moral issues in that universe.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's the same reaction I had watching Aggretsuko S2. I was like, whoa I wasn't expecting a sudden turn from "office worker upends social norms by singing death metal" to a full-throated defense of tradwifery, but Japan I guess.

Here's what I found amusing though: I like to watch Aggretsuko with the subtitles on (from the direct Japanese translation) and the audio set to the American voice dub. That way I get to see both the original script and the localizers' spin on things:

Japanese:

"That's our society's bottleneck. I want to restructure our society."

English:

"Late-stage capitalism is such a pain. That's why it's gotta go."

:lol:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I was just introduced to Final Space while visiting some friends, and I'm glad there's discussion of it happening here because holy crap I love it. While I agree that there's tonal clashes between the super-seriousness of the premise and the CHOOKITY BOK BOK stuff, I for one love that kind of textural tension. It would be a much less enjoyable show (and more tedious and derivative, frankly) without Gary's wailing and flailing and (especially) his growth. S2 Gary is not the same Gary that kept pining for a cookie.

The main thing anyway (for me) is how goddamn beautiful the animation is though. Even when it's something goofy like Gary staggering down a pile of trash in S2E01, or him careening around the corridor and banging off the walls when he's trying to make one of his video messages to Quinn (if I recall), it's super detailed traditional 2D art that is a genuine joy in this age of 2D feature animation being trampled into a shallow grave by a blitzkrieg of CGI remake revisionism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So they didn't come right out and say it but I'm pretty sure in the second episode of last night's Mike Tyson's Mysteries the pizza place the mobster loved was just Dominos.