Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The new decade is fast approaching, and with it comes a new seasonal thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907625

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
More anime news too
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1208237669630795776?s=19

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Now THAT is something I am instantly hyped about.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

granted i never watched s1 but i do hope this one has a better production based off what i heard about it

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
How far did the first part of Promised Neverland get? Did they at least to the escape?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

How far did the first part of Promised Neverland get? Did they at least to the escape?

It ends with that.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ah yes the two season anime with seventy episodes.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I know it's not over but I think it's clear to say for me Bookworm was my anime of the season and Average is the anime I found most disappointing (god did the anime not like the source). Probably the most pleasant surprises was Null and Peta being a very touching short and the new Build Divers not being..well bad

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

only anime i managed to finish this season ended yesterday with a bit of a nothing ending, but don't be worried, there's more coming

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ah, and OVA.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/PerfectDrizzy/status/1209783118154149888

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Yeah, it's really obvious that the staff must have been running short on time, based on the lack of in-between frames, the background, and the general lack of, uh, effort, dynamic (?) in the scene's composition and action direction-there is very little weight to the scene at all. It's just a small snippet of this fight that'll continue on in the next episode, but what makes it extra painful is that apparently this is supposed to be one of the best fights in 7 Deadly Sins, so it's gotta sting for the fans to see something so painfully mediocre that you'd expect to see it on Newgrounds or YouTube. Keep your fingers crossed that next week isn't as bad, for the fan's sake.

Julias fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 26, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Re Rise is good now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Re Rise is good now.

That was also the end of the season, and it'll be back in April. Hopefully, that relaxed production schedule means lots of cool fights in the second half.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Beastars did a very good job this season of quickly going from "thing I incendentally caught an episode of" to "main thing watch/read the moment a new release is out."

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Julias posted:

Yeah, it's really obvious that the staff must have been running short on time, based on the lack of in-between frames, the background, and the general lack of, uh, effort, dynamic (?) In the screen's composition and action direction-there is very much no weight to the scene at all. It's just a small snippet of this fight that'll continue on in the next episode, but what makes it extra painful is that apparently this is supposed to be one of the best fights in 7 Deadly Sins, so it's gotta sting for the fans o see sonething so painfully mediocre that you'd expect to see it on Newgrounds or YouTube. Keep your fingers crossed that next week isn't as bad, for the fan's sake.

yea rip
its funny that in the replies to that theres even a fan animation thats better done

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Final two episodes of Bookworm were great and watching Main go SSJ on Priest was amazing

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Final two episodes of Bookworm were great and watching Main go SSJ on Priest was amazing

Yeah one thing I noticed about the series so far is that being an isekai protagonist has brought Main nothing but grief, until The Crushing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It turns out Stars Align was cut from two cour to one when it was already most of the way through production, which explains why it just ends in the middle of everything. It's probably still my favorite show of the season so I hope the second half of the story gets told in some form somewhere.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Sindai posted:

It turns out Stars Align was cut from two cour to one when it was already most of the way through production, which explains why it just ends in the middle of everything. It's probably still my favorite show of the season so I hope the second half of the story gets told in some form somewhere.
It definitely felt like an abridged adaptation of something. Is there an article or news source about the season being cut down?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Holy poo poo, wtf was that ending. Are there any 12-episode shows that actually feel complete? Cause so far I've had no luck with those

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

macabresca posted:

Holy poo poo, wtf was that ending. Are there any 12-episode shows that actually feel complete? Cause so far I've had no luck with those

a place further than the universe?
girls und panzer skips a fight in the middle but it resolves the main plot/character arc so

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

macabresca posted:

SSSS.Gridman

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like Yuru Camp

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

macabresca posted:

Devilman Crybaby, Katanagatari, Serial Experiments Lain are all around 12 episodes and feel complete.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

macabresca posted:

Madoka Magica
Katanagatari
Planet With
Haibane Renmei

Plus the stuff other's have already mentioned and more

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ping-pong is eleven episodes and kemonozume is thirteen but god drat it that's good enough for me

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

macabresca posted:

Hellsing Ultimate. Planet With. Haibane Renmei. A lot of comedy series work with just 1 season, though often times it's not really a full on narrative (asobi Asobase comes to mind)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

planet with was a perfect 6 episode show that they even had enough time to add a less-good second season onto the end of

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh yeah speaking of 6 ep shows FLCL

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

macabresca posted:

on top of what everyone else has already said, Interviews With Monster Girls, Girls Und Panzer, Space Patrol Luluco

Julias posted:

Oh yeah speaking of 6 ep shows FLCL

Gunbuster, Diebuster, Gundam 0080. And the first season of Thunderbolt, which is only 4 episodes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

best anime voting thread is available for you, now

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Julias posted:

Hellsing Ultimate. Planet With. Haibane Renmei. A lot of comedy series work with just 1 season, though often times it's not really a full on narrative (asobi Asobase comes to mind)

I admit this is nitpicky, but I don't think Hellsing Ultimate quite counts as it's more of a set of OVA's than a "proper" one-cour 12-episode series. I'd agree with the rest though :hmmyes:.

For something airing this past season, Special 7's working to wrap up properly with its final showdown in the last episode. I kinda like the show too; It's not the best thing on TV, but it's basically a neat little urban-fantasy version of Stand Alone Complex.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

while i did not read every option offered by the posts so far, nor do i know if the op was being rhetorical or not

a simple and rather general rule would be that original series or ones that adapt a completed work (there are plenty of both of these) should give you a pretty complete feeling in their 12-13 ep run. you can also end up with satisfying midseason finale type things to split-cour or multi-season series or adaptations of long-runners, and for episodic series this is probably less of a concern overall as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
good endings are hard in any medium. for a truncated adaptation of a much longer and possibly incomplete work, they are almost impossible.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh oh, Princess Principal is another recent 12 episode show that worked and ended well. (but, will also continue)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

good endings are hard in any medium. for a truncated adaptation of a much longer and possibly incomplete work, they are almost impossible.

Stars Align was anime-original.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Looks like Oresuki also had its ending chopped off at the last minute. Funny coincidence.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

macabresca posted:

Check out The Hakkenden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I got another one, Haikyuu season 3 is a complete ten episode long story.