Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
You know, I haven’t seen any discussion at all about CtD 20th. Flipping through the core it looks like an absurdly overpacked monstrosity, seems like they added every supplement or crossover supplement the original ever had to the main book? I can’t even imagine what a mess that must be to try and reference.

Was there any chat here, or just a lack of interest given its origin material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

The past few pages mentioning the Ravnos has reminded me of one of those little things that bugged me 20 years ago. I haven’t gone back to double check, but wasn’t the “antediluvian dies, clan goes apeshit” thing originally presented as a curse Ravana placed on his clan, purposefully, using their signature discipline? I remember being bothered when later books made that just happen as a side effect whenever an ante bites it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Canonically? No. The core pitch for the nWoD is that literally everyone has had an encounter with the supernatural at one point or another and that there isn't really a Masquerade so much as a tacit agreement not to think or talk too much about things that go bump in the night, because it's too horrifying to contemplate and marks you out as a target.
Wait, so Mieruko-chan is perfect nWoD material?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Does anybody here own most of Hunter: the Reckoning?

I'm trying to get confirmation that The Walking Dead and the Avenger and Defender books are slightly darker because they're just Like That and not because of sun damage on the two copies I know about. Does anybody have a data point to add to this?
I can grab mine and take some comparison shots, gimme some page #s or something and a good control

Off the top of my head, I remember Defender looking darker and/or having a terrible choice of font for sure

[Edit: Oh god I did a mental tally and the only lines I own all of are Hunter and Kindred of the East]

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 8, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

It's the orange on the covers I had in mind.
Oh, well in that case I don’t even need to take them off the shelf to confirm you are right as hell:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I Am Just a Box posted:

Eesh, the misalignment of the White Wolf credit and WW book number, and the inconsistency as to whether it's HUNTER Book:Thing, HUNTER Book: Thing, HUNTER-BOOK: THING, or HUNTERBOOK: THING
Bad as that is, it doesn’t even chart for the publisher that gave us the Changeling: The Dreaming spine art clusterfuck. :allears:

I Am Just a Box posted:

Plus the choice of font making it look like a shelf full of HUNYER books
…I might need to pull out those books after all, because that is the LEAST of the problems with Hunter’s font situation

Rand Brittain posted:

Wraith wins the "none of these dang books are the same size as any other book" award by far.
Some of the 1e VtM books won’t even fit on the shelf, they just went wild vertically AND horizontally

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 9, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

I agree that Gypsies is likely the single most racist book WW released, the lead art for Hong Kong in the 1e WoD source book is......really bad. https://m.imgur.com/a/msNATCZ I mean just look at this poo poo.
If we’re talking art, a lot of the KotE art is hella racist. The core book is so rife with it that Asians Represent started a readthrough, spent the entire first episode on the introduction, and haven’t done a second one.

joylessdivision posted:

Yup that's what I've settled on, starting with the 1st and 2nd edition "A World of Darkness" books. Other than the horribly racist photo above, 1st ed isn't awful, the opening 40 odd pages are all about the UK and it's fine if a bit dry history lesson for a role playing book. Also I haven't actually touched on anything supernatural for the UK in what I've read yet, it's been nothing but history and some topography notes which....thanks white wolf? They literally point out that you should go read a travel guide or actual history book about the UK and then spend several pages summarizing that information because page count I assume.
2E is kinda joyless, but 1E has some batshit stuff never mentioned again in the gameline, like supernatural vampire-hating cats.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Kavak posted:

Same.

Sounds "interesting", can I have a link?
Awful App ate my post and now I’m grumpy AF.

Click this one for the relevant vid: https://youtu.be/nKic0LVGfC4

If you’re interested in more, I recommend their episode on the art of D&D’s Oriental Adventures 3E: https://youtu.be/Ksf1-tz5iNI

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Hunedoara Castle is actually never mentioned again until one of the lead-in books to Time of Judgement.
:eng101:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Blood Dimmed Tides is a treat from top to bottom.
Goofy as hell and full of splats that won’t even interact with others of their own splat, let alone their broader gameline, and have zero reason to be on land

I say this out of love, that dumb book is one of my favorites

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Which book had the Furies worshipping JFK? I thought it was Australia but didn’t see it with a quick scan.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Kavak posted:

...why?
No, I was right, it was Australia, in the caerns section, and presumably because some writer needed to get in #NotAllMen before hashtags were even a thing:

quote:

Many Black Furies claim Kennedy was an aspect of the Sacred King, the ritually slain consort of the Mother Goddess.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Scathach was cool because they were Sidhe who weren't soul stealers and had decent politics.
Weren’t they also loaded up with flaws and curses because how dare someone want to play a Sidhe that thinks commoners are people

[Edit:] Ahahaha I went to surf around Houses on the wiki, did C20 seriously pull “9/11 caused Thallain” after how it was one of the things old WW was restrained and tasteful about?? :allears:

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 18, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Is there any explanation for why the Naraka exist/are like they are without the Week of Nightmares? Something tells me I know the answer.

Also, is this awful poo poo:

quote:

Using tactics similar to the protesters of the Arab Spring or Black Lives Matter, the dark fae portray themselves as advocates of the downtrodden, subtly undermining the customs of fae society.
a direct quote from the books, like I’d guess?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also best to keep in mind that vampire priorities aren't the same as human ones. It's likely that attempts to cause big events either fizzle out or blow up in their fanged faces. While being used to living in a shadow society and a parallel power structure means I imagine local courts can sometimes weather wars, revolutions and regime changes almost intact if they adopt the new outward faces quick enough.
I don’t remember which VtM book it was in, but I liked the passage about how a Brujah might be idealistic about vampire society, but if their domain is the slums they are going to use their influence to ensure the slums stay a lovely place no one leaves and another dead body doesn’t raise eyebrows.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Worth mentioning that DTRPG recently jacked the prices of their POD books way up; the bigger books like Beckett’s or the cores are now well over $100.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I mean, a lot of us wouldn't be sitting here talking about these games if some aspects of them had been good, sure. My specific point though was that if you go and actually listen to the Lore by Night stuff, he just presents it *all* with zero editorializing on, "wow this is loving trash," or, "yikes, they went in a crazy direction with this Black Hand book," it's just taken at face value and presented, "here is the jolly good and most excellent histories of this esteemed RPG line." But then randomly he'll present new stuff and go on a tirade about how much he hates it and how it besmirches the storied histories of ye olde trash fire.
I’ve only listened to the one public-facing episode of it, but RPPR’s ”WoD The Heck” always seemed like the right way revisit oWoD: drunkenly recounting all the wildest details to an incredulous newcomer. Hits that Bloodlines itch just right.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, I do not like that art for the Ghost Council, putting aside that they once again used someone's likeness. It's not very evocative at all.
It’s like the evolution of early 2000s LARP supplement art, where they grabbed random employees and Halloween costumes. Yes, it looks better than that, but I’d expect it to - and it’s still boring-rear end regular people.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but when are we going to get a werewolf for the Werewolf game where you play a Werewolf?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Not that I would usually encourage reading the comments on any post, but

Hoo doggy, those comments :stonklol:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

That Old Tree posted:

If you want to know more, I'm a humongous loser who can explain it in exhaustive and exhausting detail. Just ask!
But…my monitor already is on! :(

Are you gaming over Discord with a crew 2/3rds invested in something else, or were you trying to talk up Hunter while everyone else was mid-round in Mario Kart? Because the problem here isn’t WoD.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Spector29 posted:

They couldn't possibly be aiming for an "Actually, the game's done!!"-type reveal, right? I assume somebody would've reported that development restarted.
Probably not that: https://twitter.com/VtM_Bloodlines/status/1666427425637507075

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Is it like a WtA version of Beckett’s Jyhad Diary, or more like the anthologies they put out with each 20th book?

At first I thought it was a new Silver Record, like they did with Book of Nod

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

They're in the preview art for the opening of the book though? Like it's literally on the Renegade page.
I believe that was a joke about how the Tribe previews keep having “art” that’s all photos of regular people in boring static poses that turns out to be stolen

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Yeah the game I'm running has all five, but it's mainly the invictus and carthians, with a healthy ordo presence. The circle is doing their own thing and just populous enuogh to hold their own territory, while the lancea only have like 10 vamps left. But I'm also cool with their being 1000 vampires in the city.
To quote WoD: The Heck from earlier, “Now, would you believe that this secret conspiracy within a secret conspiracy within a secret conspiracy within a secret conspiracy…has factions!”

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Wait, so Rage gain when you’re topped off makes you lose Willpower, but Rage loss when you’re in supernatural depression does absolutely nothing?

That’s dumb as hell. That is literally the opposite of how it should work.

Glad I never preordered this (because of how bad that looked, morally), because at this point I’d be trying to figure out how to cancel (due to how bad it looks, morally but in a different way and also mechanically).

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

“You try to shift but fail, now you’re stuck in human form until you can awoo just right”

Perfect, no notes, loving this “SA frontpage article from 10 years ago” approach to Werewoof: The Yiffpocalypse

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Dammit Who? posted:

Yeah, this happened in the first Mage game I ever played too. A full party of mages stuck in a hallway arguing over the safest and Wisest way to get through a door, ultimately deciding to use an Artifact to disintegrate it. It was, of course, unlocked.
I had a group take a moment OOC to thank me once because I just handwaved getting through a locked door - they were professionals breaking into the flophouse apartment of a missing guy, I figured they knew what they were doing and had time so why bother when success/failure wasn’t meaningful?

Guess that sets me apart from most STs :shrug:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I really should read Ends of Empire one day and see if anything becomes of it.
I re-read it not too long ago, and remember it holding up pretty well, but having a little too much Subtext Made Into Plaintext: Metaplot Edition; then again, there were enough things in the oWoD that one writer spoopily hinted at that a later (worse) writer completely missed* that I don’t exactly blame them for spelling it all out in what was, effectively, a published version of the gameline writer’s Bible.

*I am still bummed by how hard every writer past the first one missed the ball on Dr. Douglas Netchurch

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Nessus posted:

How so on ol' Dougie? I thought he was one of the stand-out metaplot characters.
He's probably my favorite oWoD character, but every writer after the first one missed the obvious.

For the audience: Dr. Netchurch is a Malkavian dedicated to codifying the vampiric condition - essentially, puzzling out in-character the game concepts like "Blood Points" and "Health Levels". He does this by conducting horrific experiments that bring to mind Unit 731 - experiments like having a vampire feed until fully sated, then starving them in an isolation chamber for days on end, or repeatedly exposing them to sunlight or traumatic injury and seeing how many times they can heal the wound before they are unable to do so.

His notes take care to mention that he tells each subject of the importance of his experiments, and implores them to participate. Later asides often mention the subjects pleading for help or trying to escape, and in one of them he discusses the importance of keeping his experiments secret, and that the person in question killed themselves right after he left.

Dr. Netchurch had no listed "derangement", and didn't believe in the Malkavian curse.

He also had maxed-out Dominate.

...later books missed all of the implications, and used him as "vampire science man who doesn't believe in magic, also he has OCD about cleanliness or something, can't believe they forgot to give him a derangement" :rolleyes:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

He also explicitly calls out how useful a ghoul assistant is, and how he relies on her too much to make her a vampire and they’ve come to an agreement on that

…his next appearance is a short fiction showcasing the embrace of his assistant. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Less egregious than the first bit, but still comes to mind.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I Am Just a Box posted:

Help me out, I'm having a slow-brain day: what's the particular implication here? Is it just that he's a psychopath who's kidnapping victims, brainwashing them to believe they've consented, and murdering them when he's done?
Yes - he’s using Dominate, the vampire mind-control power, to coerce his subjects into compliance. Over time and trauma, it wears off, resulting in the casually-noted terror and escape attempts (at least one of which iirc he reminds of the importance of his experiment, at which point they return)

He appears to be completely unaware he is doing anything untoward - whether this is a manifestation of his Malkavian madness or if he’s just an unreliable narrator is left up to the reader.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I am oddly nostalgic for the Time of Judgement. Not for the books themselves, really, because only one I feel 100 percent understood the assignment (Apocalypse) but leading up to it they had 'news tickers' of events and it was great fun trying to figure out what it meant and what game it was referring to because it would be like somebody talking about something on Shreck.net or a report about a farm overrun by 'horrible misshapen creatures.'
This, and the introductory section for Gehenna that laid bare the “here’s what our WoD writer’s bible has to say on various subjects” - which every scenario proceeded to dumpster - were a hell of a lot of fun to see. The ticker especially had some deep cuts, presenting end of the world updates that were also shoutouts to fans of obscure groups / bloodlines / kwannon-jin* / etc

*not only did I not need to look that up, I spelled it right, what the gently caress

[Edit:] Looking through it again, there’s even a reference to Schere’s Disease, which AFAIK never appeared in a WoD book, but rather the White Wolf magazine. :allears:

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 20, 2023

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

TL;DR: They wanted to start 5E with Young Brother (W*nd*g*, which is apparently a taboo word?) being slaughtered en masse and make all the Get the Swords of Heimdall, the Nazi sub faction. So!
:stonklol:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Nessus posted:

I appreciate someone in that thread recognizing the importance of Sgt. Rage and his Killing Commandoes.
I appreciated the call out of “we want to step away from mapping Tribes to human races and regions, which is why we need to kill off one of the Indigenous ones

ANYWAY, all Germans are Nazis”

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

So I realize I don't actually know or remember: in W: tA, are you literally born into your tribe, or do you choose and get ritually initiated into it?
Traditionally, both - Tribes have lineages, some of which interact into “Pure Breed” and all that bag of worms; you are not a member without going through an initiation rite & getting accepted by the Totem, which can be a bare formality or require grueling effort depending on circumstances.

Ferrinus posted:

I'm not actually sure what "they're all evil now" means for a freshly-changed werewolf, especially one who'd like to pledge to Fenris because it sounds cool.
It means Edgelords have taken over the writing room

But more directly, it means that newly changed pups AREN’T becoming members of that tribe, because they can’t do the initiation rites and pledge to the totem.

In oWoD lore this has happened a few times, most notably with the fall of a few tribes (and some Apocalypse material) depending on what happened, another tribe usually takes them in. In the revised Red Talons book, it mentioned their totem taking in some weakened former totems’ aspects as part of his brood.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Nessus posted:

I would presume that even if Fenris himself fell to the Wyrm or whatever is up with this hauglosk thing, many individual Get would have been able to jump ship. They are pretty good at fighting, and several other tribes have fairly open recruitment policies. Especially the Bone Gnawers!
I was rushed and phone-posting, but this is the point I was trying to get across earlier - oWoD has precedent for this kinda thing, with both tribe members and kin of the White Howlers and Middle Brother joining other tribes according to their availability and inclination in-canon

The aside I was trying to make about totem patronage is that Lion - after the White Howlers fell and it was no longer a tribal totem - eventually became a spirit in Griffin’s brood (one I’d presume is still interested in its former tribe’s kin, but I don’t have my books on hand)

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Fair, though to me as a minority and what I assume the bulk of you guys are white, the focus drifting immediately to, "we are upset about the thing that pertained to white people," is sitting there in the back of my head as any discussion about the other stuff is just tabled or handwaved.
To be perfectly honest, I’ve been having those discussions with other people I trust more than random SA goons, and coming back here for derailments quibbling about the minute and technical aspects with fellow old hands, because that’s what internet anonymity does. The culture of these forums in particular, even more so.

As noted above, though, those outside discussions are largely “loving hell, it keeps getting worse”; our breaking point happened years ago, none of us are buying WoD 5e stuff, we all agree this is horrific and a sign our business is not wanted. It’s a conversation killer.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Soonmot posted:

I thought V5 wasn't doing in store books, that it was all online purchases with on demand printing?

WoD20 was (mostly) like that, but V5 definitely got the full-court press. Every book gets LGS distribution. I’ve also seen some Æon/Trinity in stores, too, but only the main books + screens.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Also if you try to explain what the Disparates are doing right that the Traditions are doing wrong, it's hard to come up with an answer that's not "the author decided he liked them better."
Listen, the first draft of this 20th-anniversary celebration of the line for long-time fans didn’t revolve around me and my ideas that are way more gooder enough, whenever the Disparates aren’t on screen the Traditions should be asking “Where are the Disparates?”

Also if you write bad guys into your adventure you’re literally doing devil magic by thinking about it, this is different from what crazy people said during the Satanic Panic because

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always loved this description of the Hollow Ones on Reddit and I think it could totally fit a modern version, too.

That sort of New Age eclecticism has only flourished even more since back then, honestly. Just the aesthetic would be different.
Part of the issue is that Phil “Satyros” Brucato, himself a New Age eclectic*, wrote M20 so that this Chaos Magyck Approach™ applies to all mages, robbing the Hollow Ones of any sort of identity

*dangerous weirdo who think it’s all real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I don’t follow V5, has there even been a hint of M5 or is this all speculative fanfic?