Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Wait when did I gain the settler in branch? sorry I've been a bit out of it wrt to this game and I literally cannot remember when that settler go there, but any turn it has been should have granted me an extra gold from trade routes.

It's fine - it's been the holiday season and then the go-back-to-school season, so I haven't been too worried about time limits.

The settler appeared when your capital city got taken over - whenever a happy city is taken, the victor gets gold and the loser gets a free Settler. It can't provide you gold because it's never been in range of a happy city - Pe has been angry throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Gotcha, thanks.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-2-4: It is Egypt's turn, continued!

Egypt's purchase of Metallurgy spawns an Event:

A Fine Year posted:

You gain 1 Food. Barbarians appear!

Action Queue
- Egypt: Place a Barbarian camp and 1 Army within 2 spaces of one of your cities, then add one unit of any type to any camp.
- Egypt: Reconfirm 4th action?

Green - Mykkel - Persia (Xerxes)
Blue - Leith Maclaine - Babylonia (Nabopolassar)
Yellow - StashAugustine - China (Qin Shi Huang)
Red - Jon Joe - Egypt (Cleopatra)
Reference Post | Zoomed-In Tech Board
Great Statue: +1 Cultural Influence range, allied cities within 2 spaces cannot be Cultural Influenced.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Any rule stating barb cities can’t be adjacent?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nope, you can happily build a wall of black.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
f14, and change my fourth action to 2 mood for steel weapons, namaste

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Extra barb in D12

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ah, I should've mentioned that Barbarian settlements can be next to each other, but they can't spawn on Barren spaces, so F14 is out.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So this thread has been going on quite a while and getting slower, and I think that between that and Christmas / New Year it's pretty much bombed out as people get busy. Do the players want to mercy kill this?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'd be open to either; I'm kinda out of the loop but if people want to keep going that's fine

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I feel like this was mostly my fault. Whatever other players prefer.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
I would prefer to finish it for principle of the matter but play has slowed.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Sorry, I feel like this was mostly my fault. Whatever other players prefer.

I just wanted to chime in real quick to say that I'm sorry if I've given you that impression, and to make it clear it totally wasn't my intention to make you or any other player feel that way. Big pauses are hell for PBP games in general and the season is a big combo of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. I've also been feeling some detachment or I wouldn't have brought it up. (Starting a game mid-October was perhaps not the smartest idea.)

If it were earlier in the game I would have suggested a substitute for people who needed it (which, again, is totally okay - a PBP is not exactly earth-shatteringly important) but at this point we're so far in that's not really a practical option.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 24, 2020

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I’m good either way.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm happy to keep going at least to next Status Phase and see how we go, then - just wanted to check everyone's opinions on the matter. I think I still need a barbarian camp placement from Jon Joe - unfortunately, they can't be placed on Barren spaces - and that may end up impacting Mykkel's turn.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
e13 then, and keep my original plan of the troop in tact, and place the extra barb at d12

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-2-4: It is Egypt's turn, continued!

That stuff happens!

TURN 5-3-1: It is Persia's turn!

Action Queue
- Persia: 3 actions.
- Everyone: Nominate your final free tech. (You don't get one after round 6 due to the game ending.)

Great Statue: +1 Cultural Influence range, allied cities within 2 spaces cannot be Cultural Influenced.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Pretty sure I"m screwed here, but what the hell.

0. Get a gold from Banking
1. Activate Alef Collect Resources (1 Wood, 1 Metal, 1 Food)
2. Activate Be. Build Army (Use 1 food/1 Ore) Get second mood token from Nationalism, Activate Draft with 1 mood Token for second Army.
3. Get State Religon with (2 Gold) Get 2 Mood Token( due to Public Education).
Use 2 mood tokens for 4th action:
1. Activate Pe, Increase City Size by adding Fortress (1 food, 1 Metal, 1 Food)

Arts & Sculpture as my free tech.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mykkel posted:

1. Activate Pe, Increase City Size by adding Fortress (1 food, 1 Metal, 1 Food)

Pe is mad, so it cannot increase city size!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

ahh... I missed that. Skip the 4th action then.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-3-1: It is Persia's turn!

That stuff happens!

TURN 5-3-2: It is Babylonia's turn!

Action Queue
- Babylonia: 3 actions.
- Everyone: Nominate your final free tech. (You don't get one after round 6 due to the game ending.)

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Need to review my notes and I'm in the middle of a mafia game. I will post tomorrow.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

0) use inspiration card for bartering from China
1) collect gardens - 2 woods, 1 ore, 1 food +1 food canals
2) activate plains - increase city size build apothecary
3) activate woods - increase city size build obelisk

free tech - state religion

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Babylonia plays a card:

Inspiration posted:

As a free action, duplicate one advance that another player has at no Food cost. You must have a unit or city within 2 spaces of a unit or city of that player.

Babylonia takes Bartering, which pushes Mood to 5 for an Event:

Civil War! posted:

If you have any angry or neutral cities with an Army in them, select one. Remove one Army unit from this city and reduce its mood. If you have no cities in this situation, reduce any city's mood.
One troop is removed from Fort. I'll pause here for reconfirming orders.

Action Queue
- Babylonia: Activate Myths to prevent Fort going unhappy?
- Babylonia: 3 actions.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Yes activate myths

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The rest of that stuff happens.

TURN 5-3-3: It is China's turn!

Action Queue
- China: 3 actions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lets see if i remember how to play this game lol
-Buy Nationalism
-Build 2 armies south of Fort, gaining Mood
-Play Advance to get Absolute Power
-Attack Fort with leader + 2 armies

(may move more or activate Absolute Power depending on combat)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-3-3: It is China's turn!

China becomes an Autocracy!

China plays Advance to get Absolute Power:

Advance posted:

Pay 1 Culture token to play. As a free action, get an advance at no Food cost.

China's forces assault Fort!
China prepares an Action card. Babylonia may prepare one in defence.

Action Queue
- Babylonia: Action Card?
- China: 2 moves, Absolute Power.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

In the interests of fairness, I'll note here that I missed a prompt - when Babylonia removed a troop due to Civil War, the option was there to revive it with the Apothecary in Fort for 1 Food. I'll pause for Babylonia to confirm if they'd like to, and for both players to reassign combat cards / cancel the attack if desired.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Babylonia is reviving a troop, and playing an Action card if attacked.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-3-3: It is China's turn, cont!

China plays Archers:

Archers posted:

Prior to a combat roll, roll a die for each of your Army units. If you roll at least one hit, your oppoent removes one unit before taking his combat roll.
Babylonia plays High Ground:

High Ground posted:

Your rolls of 6 may be rolled again and added to the result. Each die may only be rerolled once. Cannot be used when attacking a city.

China's Archers: 2 Army = 2d6 = 9! 1 hit!

China's Attack: 2 Army = 2d6 = 10! 1 hit cancelled by fortress! 1 hit!
Babylonia's Defence: 1 Army + 1 Fortress + High Ground = 2d6, 6s explode = 1 6 2 = 9! 1 hit!
China activates Qin Shi Huang's Tactician skill, paying 2 Culture to cancel a hit.
Fort is taken!
As Fort was neutral, Babylonia gets a Free Settler in another city. China gets 3 gold for the takeover. Fort becomes angry.

China reveals AGGRESSOR: Immediately: Upon eliminating at least two Army units in a battle you started against another player.

Action Queue
- Babylonia: Place free Settler.
- Babylonia: Activate Plains Apothecary?
- China: 2 moves, Absolute Power.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Place settler and Army in Plains

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

-Finish moves spending 2 gold to move 2 units into Fort
-Spend 2 mood for Absolute Power
-Move 2 units into Woods

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

-Finish moves spending 2 gold to move 2 units into Fort
-Spend 2 mood for Absolute Power
-Move 2 units into Woods

Ouch, I thought Fort with a Fortress would stand better. That hurt. Congrats.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've just been reminded that Revolt exists, so your Leader is going to suddenly spawn 2 Infantry.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Leith Maclaine posted:

Ouch, I thought Fort with a Fortress would stand better. That hurt. Congrats.

Yeah QSH seems pretty strong, which got me checking what the other leader combat abilities were, which, well,

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-3-3: It is China's turn, cont!

Babylonia uses their Apothecary and places their Settler in Gardens. Nabopolassar incites the masses, and gets an Infantry.

China activates Roads to move 2, and to ignore terrain - forest would prevent them from fighting again, if not. 2 Mood is spent, and they continue in to Woods.
Woods is taken, uncontested!
As Woods was happy, China gets 4 Gold. Babylonia get their free settler, and Nabopolassar gets mad again.
China reveals WARMONGER: Immediately: Upon fighting two different battles in a turn and winning at least one.

TURN 5-3-4: It is Egypt's turn!

Action Queue
- Babylonia: Place free Settler.
- China: 2 other moves, if desired.
- Egypt: 3 actions.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Ahhh, I didn't remember the civil war removed an army. I messed up. As I said, good attack. I think you won the game on that one.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Leith Maclaine posted:

Ahhh, I didn't remember the civil war removed an army. I messed up. As I said, good attack. I think you won the game on that one.

You got the army back (I resolved your apothecary between updates) but the combat card that China used is honestly pretty drat powerful, given that it both kills one of your units preemptively and tanked your attack from 3d6 to 2d6 - that's significant given the leader's ability to then cancel a hit. China got a lucky roll and punched through your fortress on the first turn, but even if they didn't the second round would have probably been China's 2 infantry vs. your 1.

Even with a combat card that's probably going to be a draw at best, at which point he could just drive another couple units in there for a surefire capture, and take a lone unit up to Woods.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Stelas posted:

You got the army back (I resolved your apothecary between updates) but the combat card that China used is honestly pretty drat powerful, given that it both kills one of your units preemptively and tanked your attack from 3d6 to 2d6 - that's significant given the leader's ability to then cancel a hit. China got a lucky roll and punched through your fortress on the first turn, but even if they didn't the second round would have probably been China's 2 infantry vs. your 1.

Even with a combat card that's probably going to be a draw at best, at which point he could just drive another couple units in there for a surefire capture, and take a lone unit up to Woods.

Not complaining. It was something I missed and trying to understand. I was expecting a higher resistance was all and I was wrong.