Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Since we've been in the habit of discussing guests in this thread lately this doctor guy Robert's talking to for this two-parter on fake doctors has done a good job. His name is Dr. Kaveh Hoda and he has his own podcast which probably explains how he's able to navigate being a guest fairly well (and how he got tapped for the show I'd assume). It also sounded like he listens to BtB regularly and I think that helps a lot.

This is his podcast, I might check it out https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-of-pod/id1225096382

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kaveh has been on a few times and is a very good guest

He knows his poo poo and is a smart guy

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warden posted:

I tried to listen to Margaret's Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff and chose the episode about snipers Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Simo Häyhä, but in giving background info to Häyhä, she gave her version of Finnish Civil War and it was not just full of factual mistakes, it was downright completely loving unhinged. And what's weird is that she actually lived here for several years. I stopped there, and haven't tried again.

It didn't help that her style of presenting didn't work for me at all.

I haven’t listened to that podcast but ooof. I’m not surprised that when she writes her own stuff she’s unhinged because that sums up like 95 percent of CZM. I think most of my liking her as a BTB guest is because they’ve set the bar so goddamn low in the past few years.

Warden posted:

Her version: bunch of right-wing bootlickers attempt to sell a newly independent country to Germany, so plucky social democrats who want a free republic are forced to fight a civil war that they heroically lose, and suffer horrible terror as leftists martyrs.

Reality: communists seize the leadership of Social Democrat Party, which leads to a Russian Bolshevik-backed coup/revolt, which forces the government to flee and ask Imperial Germany for aid. Germany agrees, because Russia is dithering at Brest-Litovsk, and thus join the war with the aim of taking Finland to German sphere of influence in order to put more pressure on the Bolsheviks to sign the treaty. Atrocities on both sides, the winners throw the losers into horrid prison camps which cause mass death.

Edit. Here's an effort post about the topic I made a few years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=225843#post511163318

Note that I never finished my series of posts, so I didn't cover the Terror in any depth.

I didn’t listen to the whole series because it was early on when they were worse at presenting than they are now (which is saying something) but Lions Led By Donkeys went into depth on some of this with their winter war series. I think their research absolutely blows away a lot of the BTB stuff, but Joe Kassabian has some real :eyeroll: takes himself sometimes. Also none of them are really good presenters, hitting the lofty heights of “I didn’t want to claw my ears out”, which still is far better than the people that guest host BTB.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Zugzwang posted:

Friend of the show SBF got 25 years today. Surprised it wasn't longer, because few things get your poo poo ruined like messing with rich people's money.

I'd imagine he'd have gotten longer if the judge wasn't 79 god drat years old. I've heard a lot of horror stories out of Silicon Valley where the first hurdle in any trial is having to explain the actual issue to the gerontocratic mummy on the bench, so I was half-expecting SBF to only get a slap on the wrist.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Wanderer posted:

I'd imagine he'd have gotten longer if the judge wasn't 79 god drat years old. I've heard a lot of horror stories out of Silicon Valley where the first hurdle in any trial is having to explain the actual issue to the gerontocratic mummy on the bench, so I was half-expecting SBF to only get a slap on the wrist.
I hope there is some lawsuit, any lawsuit, involving bored apes just so someone has to explain that whole thing to a judge.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Wanderer posted:

kaplan seems to be pretty sharp for all of the transcripts I've read of hers and she definitely gets exactly how much money he ran off with, but i'm not sure why she erred so close to the minimum

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zugzwang posted:

I hope there is some lawsuit, any lawsuit, involving bored apes just so someone has to explain that whole thing to a judge.

if you say slurp juice one more time, I will direct the bailiff to tase the gently caress out of you

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This was a bit of a weird episode. It felt like Robert made a few mistakes (maybe due to the massive hangover) that didn't end up getting a correction inserted. Like, the Pentagon Papers weren't written by Heritage Foundation guys. Ellsberg was famously a RAND corporation guy before he leaked them. However, David Bell was a really good guest here. His reminders about the need for nuance in this kind of discussion were much appreciated.

Beyond all that, I did hit the algorithmic ad jackpot this time around. Something clearly bugged when I downloaded the episode and as a result there were no ads during any of the ad breaks. So overall, I'm gonna rate this one 10/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

These episodes reminded me of a very good book I read about Reagan and his war on Berkeley, Subversives by Seth Rosenfeld.

It's like 700 pages and about the last 200 are just citations and footnotes. Sometimes the author has an aside about how hard he had to fight to get his FOIA requests filled. I was a big fan of the part excerpted from Reagan's autobiography where Reagan seems to describe himself as being fine with communists until the FBI unconvincingly said they'd been badmouthing him.

After this he goes to a SAG meeting (I think?) and suggests that everyone stand up and declare that they are not and have never been members of the Communist Party. When the universal response is, "Ron what in God's name are you loving talking about" he takes that as proof that Hollywood has been infiltrated by Communist spies and that's why he hasn't been getting any work.

Anyway I also liked the parts about FBI agents being comically bumbling and sneaking into people's crawl spaces and becoming so bored by actual communists talking they fall asleep and start snoring like honk mimimimimi.

And when Bettina Aptheker pointed out an obvious Fed at a rally they decided the best way to get back at her was the stick bumper stickers on people's cars saying she sucked.

There's actual serious and infuriating poo poo in here too but I thought this thread would appreciate the looney tunes horseshit. It's a good book for bastard enthusiasts, A++ would recommend.