Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

nine-gear crow posted:

An unsmall number of folks in this thread seem like the kind of people who, if they were out at a dinner party and someone else said "I like Star Trek: Discovery, I think it's really good", would flip over the table and scream at them about how terrible their tastes in media and what a complete imbecile are for an hour instead of just nodding and going "Oh that's cool."

Which is a fantasy scenario that exists only in my mind because none of them would ever get invited out anywhere to begin with :newlol:

I know a fella makes those folk look super reasonable. Holy poo poo, He hates Discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Lighting it on fire as we speak.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

nine-gear crow posted:

An unsmall number of folks in this thread seem like the kind of people who, if they were out at a dinner party and someone else said "I like Star Trek: Discovery, I think it's really good", would flip over the table and scream at them about how terrible their tastes in media and what a complete imbecile are for an hour instead of just nodding and going "Oh that's cool."

Which is a fantasy scenario that exists only in my mind because none of them would ever get invited out anywhere to begin with :newlol:

Please understand how much projection there is in your post. People can critique media. A lot of it is bad. A lot of people like things that are bad. It's okay to make fun of others for liking bad things. If you can't handle criticism at a dinner party or elsewhere, you should probably keep your positions to yourself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

Please understand how much projection there is in your post. People can critique media. A lot of it is bad. A lot of people like things that are bad. It's okay to make fun of others for liking bad things. If you can't handle criticism at a dinner party or elsewhere, you should probably keep your positions to yourself.

There's also just, like, you know, not being a gormless socially stunted dick to other human beings when physically in their presence. Not everyone needs to know your deep thought criticisms about a piece of media every drat time you find an opening to go "the thing you like sucks". I was having my teeth cleaned a while back and my hygienist was like "I really like the new season of Star Trek: Picard" and I was like "oh, that's neat", even though Picard loving sucks and watching it caused me more pain than having plaque scraped off of my teeth and metal instruments digging through my gums. Letting things slide is a valid choice.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 28, 2024

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

nine-gear crow posted:

There's also just, like, you know, not being a gormless socially stunted dick to other human beings when physically in their presence. Not everyone needs to know your deep thought criticisms about a piece of media every drat time you find an opening to go "the thing you like sucks". I was having my teeth cleaned a while back and my hygienist was like "I really like the new season of Star Trek: Picard" and I was like "oh, that's neat", even though Picard loving sucks and watching it caused me more pain than having plaque scraped off of my teeth and metal instruments digging through my gums. Letting things slide is a valid choice.

It's probably not a good idea to make up a hypothetical and then get mad at it as if it's real. It's okay to tell people that things they like sometimes suck.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
However, also probably smart not to piss off the person who's currently poking at your teeth parts with pointy implements, no matter how wrong their opinions on television might be.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah I've met people who can't help but tell everyone at length their opinions on everything wrong with a piece of media whether the person before them is open to hearing it or not, but in a lifetime they can be counted on one hand.

Thing is, we're not at a nice dinner party.

This is a thread where everyone has accepted the topic of conversation as singular, critical and hyper detailed.

If someone's rushing to project poor behaviour irl on anyone who thinks "the thing you like sucks" (and it truly, truly does suck) it's probably because they're taking it as a personal attack.

If you're capable of "letting it side" irl, do folks the courtesy of assuming a similar level of control.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

nine-gear crow posted:

Star trek: Discovery is perfectly fine.

It's a bit different and helped kick off the new rebirth of Star Trek TV shows and for that I like it.

Strange New Worlds. Lower Decks.

Having fun with them all.

That Lower Decks cross over with Strange New Worlds is one of the greatest things to come out of Star Trek in forever.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Local Goon furious at the imagined Goon who lives in his head.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Entire movie of Scotty and Keenser.

I'd like a prime continuity Keenser.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Blue Moonlight posted:

And there’s an alternate reality based around show tunes that leaks into ours if you play music at a space cloud and makes Klingons do k-pop for some reason, and it’s somehow one of the most celebrated episodes ever.

What do you think the K stands for? It ain't ketamine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anytime I've tried talking about modern Trek in the wild, nobody has seen it to talk about it. The one friend I know who does watch it we just text about it when it happens and don't need to talk about it ever again.

Talking about TV/movies at a social function is just a crapshoot because nobody has the same poo poo anymore

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Anytime I've tried talking about modern Trek in the wild, nobody has seen it to talk about it. The one friend I know who does watch it we just text about it when it happens and don't need to talk about it ever again.

Talking about TV/movies at a social function is just a crapshoot because nobody has the same poo poo anymore

Yeah this feels like it died with Thrones.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I do miss the days when everyone saw the same pablum and we could make jokes about it, now it really is so schismatic that it's like trying to discuss music instead.

Have you heard of X? No. Y? Heard of it, haven't watched it. It's kind of like a mashup of A and B. Oh cool, I like one of those. Check it out, then. Oh, I will [probably not]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah this feels like it died with Thrones.

We used to gather at a friend's house to watch new episodes since they had HBO and the nicest house! Seems wild now. Even if we got the gang back together I think a majority of them have kids now, which would itself be another obstacle to getting the gang together. Our last season together was also a wet fart because it sucked so bad, it was still cool to hang out but we were falling off by the end.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Khanstant posted:

Ye I know one person who watches modern Trek and he didn't like Picard or Discovery either.
Most people I know that are big fans of old trek haven't bothered to watch any new stuff.

Honestly I think SA has a genuinely good stand on most media and it's nice to talk to people who are critical instead of not really paying attention to stuff.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean, a thread in a discussion forum for critiquing media is probably the place where I would expect conversation to move more towards a critical analysis of the merits rather than 'I enjoyed this' because once you've done 'I enjoyed it' there's not much further for the conversation to go.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Now with AI Anton Yelchin!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Star Trek 4 the plot should be, I don't know... Let's say THE REAL KHAN shows up. Cumberbatch was just an imitator

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should put Walter Koenig back in the Monkees wig for the new movie and act like nothing changed

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Let Boutella play Chekhov. She’s already on the payroll and it will save makeup

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

skasion posted:

Let Boutella play Chekhov. She’s already on the payroll and it will save makeup

Technically since it's an alternate timeline they can just simply just acknowledge that Chekov died.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Accipiter posted:

Technically since it's an alternate timeline they can just simply just acknowledge that Chekov died.

"He stayed at his post, when the trainees ran"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I hope the new Trek movie has a big bad villain and universre-ending stakes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hope it has a dune buggy and the borg

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

"Somehow Shinzon returned!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hope it has an incredibly gorgeous and erudite actor playing the villain and they slam so many prosthetics on them they can barely speak or emote

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
It'll be mirror universe.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They're always re-doing Khan. Why not re-do the first movie? You can get away with three hour movies now, so they could make a bunch of the scenes even longer!!!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

dr_rat posted:

They're always re-doing Khan. Why not re-do the first movie? You can get away with three hour movies now, so they could make a bunch of the scenes even longer!!!
A ten-minute scene featuring a perfect recreation of the TV Enterprise but with the level of detail and texturing and beauty lighting of TMP, with the camera slowly tracking over every square inch to a majestic orchestral score.

I'd watch it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Khan Constant states there must always be a Khan until the last photon in the universe reflects off montelbaum's chest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Small Strange Bird posted:

A ten-minute scene featuring a perfect recreation of the TV Enterprise but with the level of detail and texturing and beauty lighting of TMP, with the camera slowly tracking over every square inch to a majestic orchestral score.

I'd watch it.

Except the proportions are all off and there's extra greebles and everything's twirling and spinning

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Khanstant.

Khanstant.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I like the Strange New Worlds Enterprise.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Give me all the greeblies, I'll take em all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect in the unlikely event that they actually make a fourth movie there'll be a mention of Chekov transferring to Reliant.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Same, but the worst part by far is the surface texture.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

feedmyleg posted:

Same, but the worst part by far is the surface texture.

Yeah. I have the model kit of it and want to paint it in the TMP color scheme which I think will look great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

It's a beautiful design marred only the the speed holes in the nacelles pylons. Like they couldn't commit to either the TOS spindly struts or the TMP gullwings so they said "do both somehow".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

It's too squat imo

They need to lift the saucer and nacelles a bit