Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Urusei Yatsura first began life as a manga drawn by Rumiko Takahashi, and published in the weekly anthology Shounen Sunday in 1978, where it instantly became a critical and commercial success. It was quickly adapted into an anime series that first aired in 1981, produced by a number of animators that would go on to define Japanese animation in the 1980s and beyond. This includes Mamoru Oshii, later of Patlabor and Ghost in the Shell; Kazuo Yamazaki, who'd later help adapt another Takahashi manga, Maison Ikkoku; Akemi Takada, character designer for Creamy Mami, Patlabor and Kimagure Orange Road; and Katsuhiko Nishijima of Project A-ko and, erm, Agent Aika and Najica Bltiz Tactics...

Moving swiftly on, the series details the misadventures of lecherous and unlucky high schooler Ataru Moroboshi, his alien fiancee Lum, and the numerous oddball characters that surround them in Tomobiki-cho, a fictional district of Nerima ward in Tokyo. Such oddball characters include Ataru's put-upon ex-girlfriend Shinobu, the beautiful shrine maiden Sakura, her obnoxious Buddhist priest uncle Cherry, the super-rich heir Shutarou Mendou, the hapless cross-dressing tomboy Ryuunosuke Fujinami, Lum's fire-breathing baby cousin Ten, Lum's vengeful childhood friend Ran, her literal ice princess friend Oyuki, the tough space biker babe Benten and various others I'll refrain from listing here, because I don't want to spend ages writing this intro post.

People might recognise Lum from her frequent appearances in Future Funk videos, or that one time when someone bought new avatars of Lum for various goons.

Since Viz has started translating the manga once again, it might be a good idea to make a thread for this series so that people can discuss it at their pleasure. So, here it is. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I remember getting the Viz comics titled LUM way back in the day. They even flipped them to read left to right! :argh:

Also obligatory watch Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreaners

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

This song is a drat earworm and was my introduction to Lum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMyF9DiMH1A

It was harder to find this than it was in the past, i never got Dancing with the Stars and the Han Solo dancing kinect game in results for Dancing Star before

Julias posted:

Also obligatory watch Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreaners

You know, I liked Beautiful Dreamers a lot more when I didnt know what Urusei Yatsura was. But after watching about half of the show and coming back to the movie it just didnt do it for me. Its a good movie, but its not really good Lum. Theres an episode where they eat a bunch of mushrooms that make them compulsively tell the truth (or maybe it was lies, or maybe they were just high. I dont remember but it made the entire class freak out) and THATS what I come to UY for.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 26, 2020

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think UY is probably my favorite Takahashi work because it's premise does the best job of providing her with the kinda episodic setups and anything-goes premise she likes writing/drawing

The drama suffers compared to the others, but frankly that's the part I'm least interested in (haven't even glanced at Maison Ikkoku) so....

and the anime had good rear end music

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Meme Emulator posted:

This song is a drat earworm and was my introduction to Lum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMyF9DiMH1A

It was harder to find this than it was in the past, i never got Dancing with the Stars and the Han Solo dancing kinect game in results for Dancing Star before

You know, I liked Beautiful Dreamers a lot more when I didnt know what Urusei Yatsura was. But after watching about half of the show and coming back to the movie it just didnt do it for me. Its a good movie, but its not really good Lum. Theres an episode where they eat a bunch of mushrooms that make them compulsively tell the truth (or maybe it was lies, or maybe they were just high. I dont remember but it made the entire class freak out) and THATS what I come to UY for.

I can get this. A lot of people recommend Castle of Cagliostro as a good Lupin film, and while it's an alright film in of itself, it doesn't really feel like the typical Lupin, especially the character Lupin himself.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Dick remembers the AnimEigo DVD first season releases as being a small patch of light and warmth and comfort against the backdrop of winter 2001.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Julias posted:

I can get this. A lot of people recommend Castle of Cagliostro as a good Lupin film, and while it's an alright film in of itself, it doesn't really feel like the typical Lupin, especially the character Lupin himself.

Yea! I almost threw in Cagliostro as an example in my own post. Last time I watched Beautiful Dreamers i felt like I had to squint a bit and pretend like I was watching the adventures of Unique Never Seen Before Characters Lam and Ataro

Another good ep of UY was the one where they had the machine that could tell peoples fortunes and it turns out Mendou and Ataru are the same drat person and the superficial differences are just because Mendou grew up wealthy

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Many years back I had a great time reading this series as translated by a group called something like Industrial Lum and Manga. Ataru sucks but pretty much all the other characters are a lot of fun. I never got into the anime except for the movies, which are fairly good for the most part. Everybody loves Beautiful Dreamer, but I actually prefer Only You as it's the one most true to the spirit of the manga not counting the fifth movie which was just a direct adaptation of the manga's finale.

Viz is translating the series again? After putting it aside for, what, 20 to 25 years? I'll have to check it out if true.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Lum was my introduction to anime as a concept. My dad had a Beautiful Dreamer Lum shirt he would wear, and would occasionally get comments on it from various college students while we were out on walks. I should really ask him if he bought the shirt because of the movie or the other way around. Either way, I was doomed from the start.

I don't think I've seen the whole TV show, probably only the first 40 or so.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Urusei Yatsura got me into anime, and by extension into torrenting subs because the person uploading episodes to YouTube got too slow for my liking. It's been downhill ever since but at least I got to watch Beautiful Dreamer.

Also, Ataru is maybe one of the only lecherous anime protags I can stand just because Takahasi wasn't shy of taking that character trait to absurd conclusions. Very few characters manage to be like this, for some reason.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 26, 2020

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I got into Urusei Yatsura way back in the 90s, when I was first seriously getting into anime. I discovered it through Helen McCarthy and Johnathan Clements anime books back then, and when I found it being sold on VHS in Forbidden Planet in Cambridge, I snapped up a volume and played it practically to death. I did the same with the couple of issues of the Viz manga I got, right before they cancelled it.

Ryuunosuke's my favourite UY character, and I think she's my favourite character in all of anime. I wish Takahashi could've done more with her, but hey, that's why I'm writing fanfiction now.

Also, yeah, I don't like Ataru that much, but I like him more than most other lecherous protagonists in anime.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Spark That Bled posted:

Ryuunosuke's my favourite UY character, and I think she's my favourite character in all of anime. I wish Takahashi could've done more with her, but hey, that's why I'm writing fanfiction now.

Takahashi had/has a really bad habit of writing interesting characters, thinking out a whole dynamic for them, setting them up as regulars and then promptly forgetting they exist at all.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Clerical Terrors posted:

Takahashi had/has a really bad habit of writing interesting characters, thinking out a whole dynamic for them, setting them up as regulars and then promptly forgetting they exist at all.

Yeah, I think there's quite a few volumes between when Benten and Oyuki are introduced and when they make another appearance in the manga.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Spark That Bled posted:

I thought she showed up a ton, although that might just be an artifact of the block of episodes I ended up watching. UY is the reverse of most stuff ive seen where I havent touched the manga but I have seen the anime.

Theres an episode where Ryuunosuke wants to try a bra on and she said "Bura jyaa" about 9001 times and its forever seared into my head.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why doesnt she put some clothes on

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The first ED is the best Urusei Yatsura song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kn2_euTNrU

Melancholy no Kiseki is also good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18WJch98Co

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Ytlaya posted:

Melancholy no Kiseki is also good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18WJch98Co

This song is one of the few things that makes Lum the Forever worth watching.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I love Ran. She's the best.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Apparently this got leaked.

New Urusei Yatsura TV anime in the new year.

https://twitter.com/Wsstalkback/status/1476910178087886852?s=20

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:toot: Heck yes. Give me more Urusei Yatsura.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Cool. That is definitely a thing that I did not expect but will be interested to see!

Though I kind of wonder what a new Urusei Yatsura show would even be like in this day and age. UY is the kind of show where if you just did a faithful remake it would come off as hopelessly dated since it basically invented what are now generic harem/love-comedy anime tropes these days. Kinda like Tenchi Muyo in that regard. Wonder if/how they'll mix it up?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I am unreasonably excited about this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This is series I've known about since I was twelve (first anime was Ranma) and never got around to watching, so I'm really pumped about this.

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
I've been reading through the first few volumes of the series recently and am really enjoying it. I also loved Ranma 1/2. Not a huge InuYasha fan but 2/3 for attempts at the Rumiverse is a pretty good average. The new editions besides being flipped right just have really sharp beautiful art and it's a pleasure to soak in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The new editions are great and I really like the extra features at the end of each volume. The folks that crunched the numbers on certain things are braver than the troops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Years of holding on to my gifted Lum avatar finally pays off.