Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Learn to Play
Rules Reference

Thread 1: Cycle of Eternity

What?

Pretty much everyone who's gone near a board game shop in the last decade or so knows about the Arkham games. Cooperative in nature, each of them involves a number of adventurers banding together to try to prevent the various big nasties of the Cthulhu mythos from breaking through into the world by properly coordinating their actions. Where they differ is in their scope - Arkham Horror confines itself to the titular city, Eldritch Horror offers a more global outlook, and Mansions of Madness concentrates on a more narrative adventure in - well - a mansion of madness.

In the first edition of the game one player played as the forces of evil, working off a playbook dictating the maps, clues and items available in a given run of the game. Unfortunately, it was much too fiddly to really enjoy, and many of the provided adventures were actually completely broken and couldn't be completed as written. It was not good.

The second edition shaped up a lot better. Prior to its release, Fantasy Flight Games had been slowly releasing apps for their other cooperative games, and I think it's fair to say that this is the result of their experience. With the computer running the adventure, a lot of the bookkeeping has been removed - it's faster to play, you don't really need to know a whole lot of rules, and the setup allows for some surprises and scripted events, including some longer campaigns that span multiple adventures.

Is it a deep strategic masterpiece or a super-involved story experience? No, but I'm fond of it.

House Rules
  • There are two house rules. First, there's a resource called Clues which can be spent to convert some dice results into successes. Sometimes the app pauses and wants you to do a dice roll before it continues. Having to stop and ask every time would get real slow real fast, and I won't necessarily have a chance to save and update the thread, so instead I'll be asking players to give me a general guideline of how and when they want to spend Clues, and I'll do it automatically. I'll always assume you want to use any other kind of reroll.
  • The game also features 'puzzles'. These are the lamest part of the game - they're quite literally either sliding block puzzles or else Mastermind. The idea is that you get a certain number of steps per action, and solve the puzzle over several actions - but there's nothing to stop you pausing the game, working out the optimal solution, then following it. Instead, I'll just do that part entirely offscreen, but again I'll want some idea of how many Clues players wish to throw towards it.
  • Investigators take their turns in whatever order they wish. Because I have to load up Steam, this is not a game I can update while I'm at work, so updates will go up on at best a roughly daily basis - where possible, I'd prefer to run as many actions as possible in a single go to keep the game moving. If you're waiting on someone to reveal part of the map before you decide what you're doing that's fair enough - but otherwise, turns will be done simultaneously.
  • Audience posting is totally okay, though please try not to quarterback too much. Also, this is a first for me to have to say: no spoilers, please. Helping people with rules is great. Mentioning that in five turns the Big Bad is going to swoop down and eat someone, not so much.
Escape from Innsmouth
  • This game will use the Escape from Innsmouth adventure. This is a single but 'full' adventure, larger in scope to the first thread. It is significantly harder, and might require a fair bit more coordination from the players in order to get through in one piece.
  • I'd like four players, ideally people who haven't played this adventure before. The rules are linked above, but a list of actions and adventurers will be in the second post and are basically all you need to know to get started.
  • PMs are not required, but I would prefer some kind of way to poke you if you go awol. Ideally, I'd like players who can check in daily.
  • When signing up, please indicate your first two choices of character from the list in the second post.
  • Signups will close in 24 hours, with selection being a random draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

INVESTIGATORS

quote:

Agatha Crane, the Parapsychologist
Health 5, Sanity 9
Strength 2, Agility 3, Observation 4, Lore 5, Influence 3, Will 4
After you resolve a horror check, gain 1 Clue.

Agatha Crane has degrees in Mathematics and Psychology. She is a rational, intelligent woman who believes that reason is the antidote to superstition, that evidence is required for argument, and that even the most complex mysteries of the natural world and human mind can be understood rationally. Why, then, she dedicates so much of her research to so-called "extra-sensory perception" and the evidence of ghosts is baffling mystery to almost everyone who knows her.

Agatha calls her field of study "parapsychology" in an attempt to remove the stigma associated with the occult in respectable academic circles. Her search for test subjects and data continually leads her to dangerous places and disreputable people, much to the despair of her long-suffering husband, Wilbur. But she is committed to her task, for reasons that only she seems to know.

quote:

Carson Sinclair, the Butler
Health 8, Sanity 6
Strength 3, Agility 2, Observation 5, Lore 4, Influence 4, Will 3
Action: Another investigator within range may perform 1 action. Activate this ability only once per round.

Carson Sinclair has served three generations of the Webb family in Arkham, first as a footman and later as a butler. Always proper, Carson watched with disapproval as his most recent employer, Hercule Webb, began bringing bizarre artifacts and profane tomes into his house, engaging in occult studies. He was aided in these endeavors by his business manager, the disagreeable Dupuis.

Disaster struck when Mr. Webb was drawn through an impossible hole in the sky while Carson brought him evening tea. No one believes Carson's description of the events, and with no proof of Mr. Webb's death, control of his estate has passed to Dupuis, who has quietly siphoned funds from the Webb trust and effectively frozen out the Webb children. Carson has resolved to get to the bottom of the matter, for the children's sake.

quote:

Father Mateo, the Priest
Health 6, Sanity 8
Strength 3, Agility 3, Observation 2, Lore 4, Influence 4, Will 5
Action: Another investigator within range becomes Focused. Activate this ability only once per round.

Mateo Castile's life has not been easy, even — or perhaps especially — since finding his calling and becoming a priest. The past few decades in Mexico have been wracked with instability and conflict between a secular government and a traditional and religious populace. Father Mateo struggled to balance his faith with the pragmatic concerns of preaching when the law told him he must not.

But as difficult as the political situation in Mexico has been, that is not what has assaulted Mateo's faith at its core. An investigation into a rash of murders and kidnappings in his home state led not to political violence as Mateo had suspected but to a gruesome and horrid cult thriving at the heart of the brewing war. How, Mateo wondered, could a kind and loving God allow what he saw that night to exist? His prayers are still unanswered, but Mateo now seeks answers on his own.

quote:

Minh Thi Phan, the Secretary
Health 7, Sanity 7
Strength 3, Agility 4, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 4, Will 3
Once per round, you or another investigator may reroll 1 die when resolving a test.

Minh Thi Phan landed a good job directly out of school, perhaps due to her unique upbringing and her fluency in English, French, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese. She worked for Mr. Thomas as his secretary for a number of years and considered him to be not just her employer but her friend. But after coming across a strange book in the course of his work importing and exporting antiquities, Mr. Thomas became odd, moody, and ultimately took his own life.

Suddenly, Minh was on her own for the first time in her life. Uncertain what to do, Minh set about putting Mr. Thomas's affairs in order and soon discovered that his import and export business had exposed him to a dark and hidden world of the unknowable and unthinkable. Now Minh has a new task, one chosen for herself for the first time: discover what awful truth made Mr. Thomas commit suicide.

quote:

Preston Fairmont, the Millionaire
Health 8, Sanity 6
Strength 4, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 2, Influence 5, Will 3
Once per round, when you gain an Item, you may flip 1 Horror card facedown or discard 1 facedown Horror card.

Preston Fairmont never thought much about where his family's money came from. All he knew was that he had plenty, and he took great advantage of it wherever possible. His father seemed troubled, at times, and tried to explain about his grandfather's business and the demands of something called the Order of the Silver Twilight, but Preston never paid any mind. At best it was boring, and at worst, when his father seemed the most distraught, it was insane. Then his father died.

Recently, Preston attended a seance hosted by a fashionable young lady of his acquaintance. She promised him a night to remember, and she certainly delivered. His father appeared, right there above the table, and Preston was not the only one who saw it. Since then, he has pulled out the trunk of his father's old things and started thinking a lot about where his family got their money.

quote:

Rita Young, the Athlete
Health 9, Sanity 5
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4
You may move 1 additional space per Move action.

Rita has always been good at running. Growing up in the South, she was well acquainted with discrimination and knowing when to make herself scarce. When she came up to Arkham to attend Miskatonic University on a track and field scholarship, she found things had not changed as much as she had hoped. The creepy people chasing after her wore black robes, not white, but Rita ran all the same.

When her roommate was attacked in the night while wearing Rita's jacket, Rita decided to do something about it. She started looking into the matter and found the mysterious assailants were not part of the Klu Klux Klan, as she had assumed. Now Rita eagerly pursues any chance to investigate the unknown and hidden cults that flourish right under the noses of the authorities. She is done running.

quote:

Wendy Adams, the Urchin
Health 6, Sanity 8
Strength 3, Dexterity 5, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 3, Will 3
You cannot become Stunned or Restrained.

Wendy's Mama gave her that necklace when she was small. She would tell her stories while Wendy watched its strange eye-and-star design spinning in the air. Then Papa went missing, lost at sea, and Mama got strange. She drew arcane symbols in chalk all over the house, read bizarre books, and spoke in dead languages. Eventually, they came and took Mama to an Asylum and Wendy to an orphanage. But Wendy was not an orphan, she would point out to anyone who would listen — her Mama was crazy, not dead, and no one ever found Papa's body so he might not be dead either.

The orphanage could not hold Wendy for long, not after the picture of her father came in the mail. So she left, and now she is looking. Looking for her Papa, looking for her Mama, looking for some sense from the eye-and-star symbol that she still wears around her neck.

quote:

William Yorick, the Gravedigger
Health 7, Sanity 7
Strength 4, Agility 3, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 3, Will 4
Whenever a monster is defeated, gain 1 Clue.

William Yorick never wanted to be a gravedigger. He had wanted to be an actor and had worked for years in Boston, taking whatever parts were available. Shakespeare was the best stuff, of course, and William's focus was in Shakespearean acting, but after many years and hardly any roles he was forced to admit that the stage was not his destiny.

Gravedigging was tedious work, but the dead made for an excellent audience and William always did love a soliloquy. But the job took a turn for the strange when odd and inhuman corpses started turning up — and then vanishing. When William asked around at the University, all he got was shrugs and strange people following him home at night. Ever since, he had been looking into all manner of bizarre occurrence, disappearance, or strange sighting. It seems as if a new act is beginning.

ACTIONS

Each investigator takes two actions on their turn, and can double up on the same action:

Normal Actions
  • Move: Move up to two spaces. To move out of a monster's space, you have to pass an Evade check. You may split your move - i.e. move one space, perform an action, then move a second space.
  • Explore: Look at and then move into an adjacent map tile.
  • Search or Interact: Do something with a map object.
  • Trade: Pick up, drop, and trade with another investigator. One action to activate then you can move as much stuff as you want around.
  • Anything else marked as an Action: Character-specific abilities, items, and so on.
  • Attack a Monster: Choose a monster and a weapon. The check will differ based on monster and weapon type.
Rare Actions
  • Push Something: Choose an investigator or a monster. Investigators may allow themselves to be willingly pushed. Otherwise, test Strength vs. the target's Brawn or Strength. If you succeed, move them 1 space, and you may optionally move with them.
  • Set Fire: If you have a light source, create Fire in your space.
  • Steal: Choose another investigator in your space. Choose Strength, Agility, or Observation. Both of you test that skill. You may take 1 possession for each success you roll in excess of the target's result.
Features
  • Barricade: An investigator in a space containing a barricade may spend an Action to move it against or away from a door or secret passage. Monsters and investigators trying to break through must test Strength or Brawn and get 2 successes.
  • Fire: Causes damage whenever moving into the space or doing anything other than Moving while in the space, and also causes damage to monsters when they start their turn. You may spend an Action to try to put out fire - test Agility. Each success lets you discard 1 Fire token from your space, or a space you move into later that turn. If any Fire is on the board at Mythos Phase, it spreads - place 1 Fire token adjacent to any existing Fire token.
  • Darkness: No associated action. Clues cannot be spent on rolls or puzzles in the Dark. A light source or a fire, in the same space or in an adjacent space, cancels this effect.
  • Secret Passages: No associated action. Allows movement between secret passages as if those spaces were adjacent.
Anything that relates to 'range' means 'up to three spaces away'. Range cannot be counted through doors, secret passages, or walls unless explicitly stated. Range can be tracked around corners.

CONDITIONS
  • Dazed - You cannot spend clues to convert dice results or get extra puzzle steps. Discard this card at the end of your turn.
  • Focused - You may discard this card to convert all clue results into successes while resolving a test.
  • Insane - Read the back of this card, but do not reveal it to investigators. If you run out of Sanity, you are eliminated.
  • Restrained - You cannot move voluntarily. Discard this card at the end of your turn.
  • Stunned - You cannot perform more than a single action during your turn. Discard this card at the end of your turn.
  • Wounded - You cannot move more than once a turn. If you run out of Health, you are eliminated.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 14, 2020

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'd like to play, with Rita or Agatha.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm in, William Yorick or Carson Sinclair.

I played this game only once before, years ago, on a different adventure, that we lost early on.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I haven't played before, but I'd like to give Minh or Wendy a go.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
I'll sit this one out because I'm really busy at the moment, but I'll be reading and cheering.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Oh god yes please, I'm in. Either Preston Sinclair or Father Mateo.

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 22, 2020

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Would love to play. Agatha or Minh.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP

By random draw:

Circlmastr reprises Rita Young.

El Fideo is uhhh either Preston Fairmont or Carson Sinclair and you know what that's a mistake I've made myself too so I'm going to say

El Fideo is Father Mateo.

Tricky is Mhin Tai Phan (and much like my note about Clues, I will need a rough strategy for her rerolls).

MonsieurChoc is William Yorick.

STARTING ITEMS

Investigators each receive 2 Clues. Investigators begin with the following items to be distributed amongst them:

2x4 (Heavy Weapon, Damage 2. Action: You may brace a door with this board. Flip this card and place it against a door in your space.)
Crowbar (Heavy Weapon, Damage 2.)
Magnifying Glass (Roll an additional die when resolving an Observation test.)
Medical Textbook (Action: You or another investigator within range may discard 1 facedown Damage.)
Wither (Spell. Ranged, Damage 2.)
Oil Lamp (Light Source.)
Old Journal (Evidence.)

Escape from Innsmouth posted:

A strange feeling crawls across your skin as you step off the bus into the small Massachusetts town of Innsmouth. Everywhere you go, you can feel the gaze of the local's unblinking, watery eyes on your back. In every alleyway, on every street corner, you can feel the presence of the stooped, pallid residents following you, watching from a distance.

You came to the coastal town at the behest of Professor Harris, a mutual friend who asked you to gather information on the lineage of the Marsh family. However, after only half a day walking the streets of Innsmouth, all you can think about is leaving the town and its unnerving residents far behind you.

You check for the next bus and train, but strangely both have stopped running. Streets seem to loop and twist in on themselves. As the sun begins to set, you come to a frightening realization: you are trapped in Innsmouth.

You rent a hotel room under a fake name and resolve to hole up until morning. With the door to your room securely latched, you are finally safe from the prying eyes of the locals. Or so you think.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

quote:

The hotel that you found is a ratty hole-in-the-wall on the back streets near the shore of the town. Outside the hotel, the street stretches up the hill towards the center of town. The street continues to the east, past a storefront. To the west, the street narrows into an alley that stretches along the side of the hotel. Sight tokens are placed.

Dim light fills the tiny hotel's interior hall. The hotel has only two rooms for rent. Three other doors lead out of the hall; one door to a side alley, and the others are marked '#1' and '#2'. You check your room key - you are staying in room 1. Explore tokens are placed.

You cram into your room and find it furnished by a lone bed with threadbare sheets and a bookshelf that holds two yellowing tomes. Letting the situation sink in, you pace nervously around the confines of the small room. Moonlight spills in through a dingy window looking out towards the docks. Search tokens are placed.

You glance over what little research you have managed to gather on the Marsh family thus far. The investigator holding the Old Journal can review the gathered evidence by interacting with it.

Everyone in the room jumps as you hear the sound of the door handle jiggling. Someone is trying to break in through the locked door. Your eyes dart around the room, stopping at the only other door which leads to the back hall and bathroom of the hotel. Explore tokens are placed.

The Innsmouth locals have grown aggressive. You must find a way to escape the city - and ideally, with as much information as you can find.

:cthulhu: Checking the journal does not take an action, but its owner and contents might be important if one of you happens to go Insane, so I will only inform you of its status when requested! Sight tokens (the white ones) do not take an action to resolve and can be triggered from anywhere on that specific tile - they represent taking a glance down the street, and will reveal more of the exterior map. There may be reasons not to do this, as it might mean less horror checks.

Action Queue
- All investigators: Distribute starting items.
- All investigators: 2 actions.
- Remember you can go in whichever turn order you wish, and that you can interrupt a move to do something and then continue your move.
- Clue/reroll tactics would be handy.

TOKENS
Room #1, Search: A dingy window looks out over the docks. (Action: Search.)
Room #1, South Explore: You put your ear to the door. You can hear the raspy breathing of someone on the other side of the lock. (Action: "Who is there?!" / Throw open the door. / Barricade the door.)
Room #1, East Explore: The second door to your room leads to the hotel's back hall and shared bathroom. (Action: Explore.)
Interior Hall, Room #2 Explore: The door to the hotel room adjacent to yours is marked #2, and seems to be securely locked.
Interior Hall, West Explore: The hotel's side door leads to an alley right off the street.

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4. 2 Clues. 9/9 Health, 5/5 Sanity.

Father Mateo (El Fideo)
Strength 3, Agility 3, Observation 2, Lore 4, Influence 4, Will 5. 2 Clues. 6/6 Health, 8/8 Sanity.
Action: Another investigator within range becomes Focused. Activate this ability only once per round.

Minh Thi Phan (Tricky)
Strength 3, Agility 4, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 4, Will 3. 2 Clues. 7/7 Health, 7/7 Sanity.
Once per round, you or another investigator within range may reroll 1 die when resolving a test.

William Yorick (MonsieurChoc)
Strength 4, Agility 3, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 3, Will 4. 2 Clues. 7/7 Health, 7/7 Sanity.
Whenever a Monster is defeated, gain 1 Clue.

Second Post | Learn To Play | Rules Reference

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll take the 2x4 if there are no objections. I figure Rita's extra movement will provide more opportunity to put it to use.

First action is to barricade the door (using the Explore token option, not the 2x4). Hold second action pending barricade results.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'll take the Crowbar since I gain Clues when monster dies. That's also how I'll use my Clue tokens for now, to become the "combat" character of the group. Gonna gravedig them gribblies.

Since Rita is barricading the door I'll Explore the East Door, to see if there's trouble that way too.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I've got Jesus in my heart, so I'll grab the spooky Journal and I would like to be able to Whither our enemies for the Lord.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I'll take the Medical Textbook and Magnifying Glass. Rita will probably be the best Oil Lamp carrier with the increased movement. I will Search the window and hold my second action pending the current lot resolving.

Reroll: Until a priority situation arises, like an urgent check or something, spend it on the first roll that is able to succeed with a success on the reroll.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm in the middle of work but I should note that while your turns are taken simultaneously, your two actions can't be interrupted by someone else.

What this means is practice is that if Rita goes first and doesn't reveal any new tokens when she barricades the door, she can only interact with tokens in the room - she can't barricade the door, then William opens the other door, then Rita moves through. So some actions might get held / overridden. We'll figure it out.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ah, okay, good to know. In that case I'll sit on my actions until Rita and William resolve.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm fine with Rita taking the Oil Lamp.

Stelas posted:

What this means is practice is that if Rita goes first and doesn't reveal any new tokens when she barricades the door, she can only interact with tokens in the room - she can't barricade the door, then William opens the other door, then Rita moves through. So some actions might get held / overridden. We'll figure it out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the implication of the raspy breathing is that someone is in the east Interior Hall, right?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the implication of the raspy breathing is that someone is in the east Interior Hall, right?

Yep, someone's trying to open the door to your south, which is the one you can barricade. East door is, as far as you know, empty.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rita barricades the door.

quote:

Looking around the room, your eyes fall on the small bookshelf. You pick it up and slam it against the door. The Explore token is replaced by a barricade. At the sound, the rattling stops, and you hear a gurgling voice from the other side of the door. "You will never escape. Give yourselves up now!" A moment later, the local begins banging heavily at the door, attempting to break through. Spawn a Deep One Hybrid. Then, the Hybrid attempts to move 1 space into Bedroom #1. (Deep One Hybrid Brawn: ) The barricade holds.

:cthulhu: To get through a barricade, monsters roll Brawn and need 2 successes. Oh, I'm super dumb and missed an explore icon... so, this is what I mean - Rita has first dibs on the search or explore tokens, since she has nothing else she can do. If she goes through the door, I'll run Minh taking a look at the window, while if she goes for the window, I'll run William opening the door. This scenario has kind of a cramped start but this will get easier as we go.

Action Queue
- Rita: 1 action.
- All other investigators: 2 actions.
- Remember you can go in whichever turn order you wish, and that you can interrupt a move to do something and then continue your move.
- Clue/reroll tactics would be handy.

TOKENS
Room #1, Search: A dingy window looks out over the docks. (Action: Search.)
Room #1, South Explore: You put your ear to the door. You can hear the raspy breathing of someone on the other side of the lock. (Action: "Who is there?!" / Throw open the door. / Barricade the door.)
Room #1, East Explore: The second door to your room leads to the hotel's back hall and shared bathroom. (Action: Explore.)
Interior Hall, Room #2 Explore: The door to the hotel room adjacent to yours is marked #2, and seems to be securely locked.
Interior Hall, West Explore: The hotel's side door leads to an alley right off the street.

MONSTERS
Interior Hall: Deep One Hybrid (HP ?/?, Awareness 3, Horror 1, Brawn 2.)

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4. 2 Clues. 9/9 Health, 5/5 Sanity.
2x4 (Heavy Weapon, Damage 2. Action: You may brace a door with this board. Flip this card and place it against a door in your space.)
Oil Lamp (Light Source.)

Father Mateo (El Fideo)
Strength 3, Agility 3, Observation 2, Lore 4, Influence 4, Will 5. 2 Clues. 6/6 Health, 8/8 Sanity.
Old Journal (Evidence.)

Minh Thi Phan (Tricky)
Strength 3, Agility 4, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 4, Will 3. 2 Clues. 7/7 Health, 7/7 Sanity.
Once per round, you or another investigator within range may reroll 1 die when resolving a test.
Medical Textbook (Action: You or another investigator within range may discard 1 facedown Damage.)

Strength 4, Agility 3, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 3, Will 4. 2 Clues. 7/7 Health, 7/7 Sanity.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Hmm... based on the guess that looking out the window will favor Observation and Minh has a better stat than Rita, Rita will do the east Explore.

Also for Clue tactic right now: if I have no successes and any number of Clues, spend 1 Clue for a success.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tricky posted:

Reroll: Until a priority situation arises, like an urgent check or something, spend it on the first roll that is able to succeed with a success on the reroll.

:cthulhu: Trouble is, I don't often know what 'success' means - the app manages that part, so sometimes it will involve a little guesswork.

Rita busts the door open!

quote:

Behind your hotel room, a cramped hallway leads to the hotel's public bathroom. An endtable sits in the corner of the hall, while a worn door leads into the bathroom itself. Opposite the bathroom is a heavy-looking door marked 'Hendersons'. You may move 1 space into the revealed area.

Minh gazes out over the town.

quote:

You struggle to see through the dense fog, but you believe you see a small fishing boat out in the bay. As long as the captain of that boat is not in league with the locals, that could be your ticket out of this town. You will need to find a way to alert the boat to your presence, however. Gain 1 Clue, and discard this search token.

Action Queue
- Rita: Move in?
- Minh: Second action.
- William / Father: 2 actions.

TOKENS
Hall Corner 3, North Explore: A worn door leads to the hotel's only bathroom. (Action: Explore.)
Hall Corner 3, South Explore: You try the door, but the store is closed and the door locked. After a moment, you hear a voice from the other side say: "Password?" (Action: Force your way in.)
Hall Corner 3, Search: An endtable sits in the corner of the hallway. (Action: Search.)
Interior Hall, West Explore: The hotel's side door leads to an alley right off the street. (Action: Explore.)

MONSTERS
Interior Hall: Deep One Hybrid (HP 6/6, Awareness 3, Horror 1, Brawn 2.)

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Oil Lamp (Light Source.)

Father Mateo (El Fideo)
Old Journal (Evidence.)

Minh Thi Phan (Tricky)
Strength 3, Agility 4, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 4, Will 3. 3 Clues. 7/7 Health, 7/7 Sanity.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Stelas posted:

:cthulhu: Trouble is, I don't often know what 'success' means - the app manages that part, so sometimes it will involve a little guesswork.

Ah, fair. I was thinking rolls would be more like the combat stuff in the learn to play, where the TN was known in advance. Let's go with something like CirclMastr's for now (reroll on first test with no successes, then save Minh's clues to buy successes on her test without success).

For my second action, I'll either Push William or Father Mateo into the room to the east (moving with), or just Move if neither of them want to be moved.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Rita will move into the revealed area.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tricky posted:

Ah, fair. I was thinking rolls would be more like the combat stuff in the learn to play, where the TN was known in advance. Let's go with something like CirclMastr's for now (reroll on first test with no successes, then save Minh's clues to buy successes on her test without success).

For my second action, I'll either Push William or Father Mateo into the room to the east (moving with), or just Move if neither of them want to be moved.

I'll go with it, it makes escape faster.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I would like to use my special Action to give Focus to Willam Yorick, then I will move one space East.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

El Fideo posted:

I would like to use my special Action to give Focus to Willam Yorick, then I will move one space East.

After this, I will explore the bathroom to the North for my first action.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Minh shoves William through the door.
The Father heads on through as well, then blesses William for good measure.

:cthulhu: Range cannot be counted through doorways, so Father Mateo's actions had to be reversed.

William checks the bathroom.

quote:

You open the door to a dingy bathroom. As you scan the filthy room, you spot a ratty newspaper sitting on the tank of the toilet. A panel on the opposite side of the bathroom looks as if it can be opened. Tokens are placed. You may move 1 space into the revealed area.

Action Queue
- William: Move in? Second action?

TOKENS
Bathroom, Explore: A panel in the wall looks like it can slide open. (Action: Explore.)
Bathroom, Search: A copy of the Innsmouth Tribune sits on the toilet's tank. At a glance, it is over ten years old. (Action: Search.)
Hall Corner 3, South Explore: You try the door, but the store is closed and the door locked. After a moment, you hear a voice from the other side say: "Password?" (Action: Force your way in.)
Hall Corner 3, Search: An endtable sits in the corner of the hallway. (Action: Search.)
Interior Hall, West Explore: The hotel's side door leads to an alley right off the street. (Action: Explore.)

MONSTERS

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Oil Lamp (Light Source.)

Father Mateo (El Fideo)
Old Journal (Evidence.)

Minh Thi Phan (Tricky)
Strength 3, Agility 4, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 4, Will 3. 3 Clues. 7/7 Health, 7/7 Sanity.

Focused (You may discard this card to convert all clue results to successes while resolving a test.)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Just a quick correction, but Pushing allows you to optionally move with the target. Minh should be in the room with everyone else.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tricky posted:

Just a quick correction, but Pushing allows you to optionally move with the target. Minh should be in the room with everyone else.

Whoops, you're right. Shows how often I used it in games! It'll be fixed next image.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Since Move is an action, if I go into the bathroom I can't do anything else, right? Therefore I will Search the endtable.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I think you get an option to move for free as a result of resolving the Explore, since it's in the resolution text.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Since Move is an action, if I go into the bathroom I can't do anything else, right? Therefore I will Search the endtable.

Moving in after an Explore is a free action - you could still search, or explore again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stelas posted:

Moving in after an Explore is a free action - you could still search, or explore again.

Alright then! I will then move into the bathroom and Explore the panel. Might it be a way out?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

William checks the bathroom, but closer this time.

quote:

You push and slide the panel to the side. Discard this Explore token, and place a Secret Passage token instead.

Outside, the beach extends across the entire back of the hotel between the two piers, its sandy monotony only interrupted by a forlorn shack - it is here into which you emerge. Place your investigator on the Moldy Shack. Outside, an old rowboat sits on the beach, while on the far east side you see a dock whose building is advertising a boat rental. A door off the beach to the west leads to a building behind the hotel, and beyond that you can see a pier. Tokens are placed.

:cthulhu: Secret Passages block range, and allow you to treat two spaces as adjacent for the purposes of movement. You can't reveal the sight tokens because you're not on the Beach, you're in the Shack.

TOKENS
Beach, Explore: The door leads into a small room behind the hotel. The room is without windows or lights, and in the darkness your eyes strain to make anything out. (Action: Explore, but you must have a Light Source.)
Beach, Search: An old rowboat sits on the beach. It will not be enough to escape in, but maybe it can get you to the fishing boat in the bay. (Action: Search.)
Bathroom, Search: A copy of the Innsmouth Tribune sits on the toilet's tank. At a glance, it is over ten years old. (Action: Search.)

MONSTERS

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Oil Lamp (Light Source.)

Father Mateo (El Fideo)
Old Journal (Evidence.)

Minh Thi Phan (Tricky)

Focused (You may discard this card to convert all clue results to successes while resolving a test.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 1 - MYTHOS PHASE

quote:

The air is tinted with an unnamable colour. No immediate effect.

quote:

The Deep One Hybrid continues hammering his fists against your barricade, yelling curses all the while. (Deep One Hybrid Brawn: )

quote:

No enemies are in range, so no horror checks are made.

ROUND 2 - INVESTIGATOR PHASE

Action Queue
- All investigators: 2 actions.

TOKENS
Beach, Explore: The door leads into a small room behind the hotel. The room is without windows or lights, and in the darkness your eyes strain to make anything out. (Action: Explore, but you must have a Light Source.)
Beach, Search: An old rowboat sits on the beach. It will not be enough to escape in, but maybe it can get you to the fishing boat in the bay. (Action: Search.)

MONSTERS

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
2x4 (Heavy Weapon, Damage 2. Action: You may brace a door with this board. Flip this card and place it against a door in your space. When flipped, treat this card as a Barricade. If an investigator picks this card up, or otherwise moves it away from the door, flip this card back again.)
Oil Lamp (Light Source.)

Father Mateo (El Fideo)
Old Journal (Evidence.)

Minh Thi Phan (Tricky)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 25, 2020

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I would like to move twice, getting me next to that little boat.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I forgot a token off the map so I updated it. Just to be clear, white tokens don't take an action, you just say 'hey I want to reveal the map in that direction' while standing on a street or the beach.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
Just a little rules clarification - unlike Spells and Conditions (and similar card types in other games in the same series), any investigator can look at the back of any Common Item or Unique Item at any time (per Common Item / Unique Item in the rules reference) - the upshot of this is that you might as well post the text on the back of the 2x4 (in case it wasn't obvious enough from the front side what flipping it does).

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I'll Search the endtable, then unless it reveals the password to the door I'll Move to the shack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Stelas posted:

I forgot a token off the map so I updated it. Just to be clear, white tokens don't take an action, you just say 'hey I want to reveal the map in that direction' while standing on a street or the beach.

In that case I would like to move to the western spot of the beach tile, and reveal the area to the west.