Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think I ever unlocked those bonus Technical conditions. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
they're extremely deep in the "poo poo you can do if you have way too much free time" zone. i made a fair amount of use out of the forget > electricity one specifically because i was using ryuji and makoto for a while after this but i wouldn't have even found them if i hadn't spontaneously decided "and also, i have to read every book" was a thing i was doing

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Fire>Rage is a decent backup for getting high damage numbers if Psy isn't available, but Kohryu is already a Psy persona with Universal Law, so it's mostly for Ann's benefit.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Arist posted:

Mweheh! C’mon, Maaku! It’s time to eat!

If this isn't a typo, I demand a video.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always loved this Sojiro scene; they're such a sweet found family. One could argue the investigators didn't quite do their due diligence, but on the other hand, it's Sojiro. He's a pretty easy guy to see through.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kith posted:

If this isn't a typo, I demand a video.

Gdi

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 166: 11/1-11/3: Akechi Shows Off (New)

Anon: no way they’re innocent

Early Morning

This is SO sad…
I think I know who the Phantom Thieves are…
If we report them, will we get 30 million yen?
Wanna just report anyone who seems suspicious?

Anon: Oh how far they’ve fallen
Anon: why wasnt this done earlier?
Anon: Is the admin an accomplice?
—DELETED BY ADMIN—

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

We’ve gone through pretty much all the school events now, so that frees you up for studying. It’ll be getting colder from now on, so wrap up warm and don’t get sick. I mean it. If you even THINK you’ve got a fever, then go see the nurse. Oh, speaking of the nurse’s office… Dr. Maruki’s going to be leaving us on the 18th. If you need to talk to him, now’s the time.

Oh, he’s leaving right before the deadline, after which point we will no longer be attending school? What an odd coincidence!

So if he helped any of you feel better, make sure you thank him before he’s gone. …Anyway, time to start class.
Man, time really flies… A whole year’s gone by already.

Morning → Afternoon

Don’t it feel kinda different from usual?
Do you think?
I’m getting a weird feeling too.
What do you mean?
It’s like the people around us seem restless or something.
Pretty unsettling, right?

>That’s probably just the bloodlust. You get used to it.
You really shouldn’t, though…

Nothing seems unusual on my end. What about you, Makoto?
Someone ask for me? Everything’s normal over here.
We most certainly did not ask for you. Is Makoto sick today?
Sorry, I only just noticed the chat right now. I think everyone’s just agitated by the Phantom Thieves rumors. Try not to be affected by the people around you.
It’s important to stay calm in times like these!

Afternoon → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

That’s the spirit!

Even if it’s a joke, I don’t wanna see it. That poo poo’s a straight-up terrorist logo.
I feel sick… Maybe Hamiru IS dangerous after all?
Dude, why’s he drawing this poo poo? Is he brave… or just an idiot?
Come to think of it, isn’t he notorious? He’s got guts…

Maaku gains Guts +1.

They seriously despise us… This is too much to handle…

…Nah, never mind. Let’s train!
What are you gonna do? Are you gonna give Shinya the calling card?

Tower Rank 8: Part 134

“Hanae Oda”… My mom!? The Phantom Thieves are targeting my mom…?

Music: Alleycat

So she IS bad after all…

Well, yes, but it’s a very small-scale kind of evil. To the point that the Phantom Thieves getting involved at all raises ethical concerns, even!
…Do you think my mom needs a change of heart?
Well, she’s not really causing that much real harm… but on the other hand, you told me she’s been harassing service workers and your teachers, so really there’s no hole deep enough for her current self.
Yeah… She used to be so nice, but now she’s one of the bad guys… …I’ve thought that for a while, actually. Mom…

Do you think they’ll actually be able to change her heart?

I guarantee it. And they won’t even kill her, in case you were worried about that!
Uh, I wasn’t…
Sorry, there’s just been a lot of that going around. Anyway, they’ll definitely take care of it.

Yeah. Yeah, you’re right. They ARE the Phantom Thieves, after all! So… Someone has to give this to my mom, right? …Okay, I’ll do it.

It’s kind of my fault my mom ended up like this in the first place… She had to get stronger to raise me on her own… So I should be the one to help her now. She can’t hurt the people around her any longer…!

She fights with everyone, about everything, and ends up getting hurt… At this rate, my mom’s gonna break… I want my mom to realize that she doesn’t have to be strong for me anymore… But she won’t listen to me when I tell her that… That’s why I wanna help the Phantom Thieves. I wanna stop my mom.
>Let’s save her.
Hamiru-san…

I’ll do it. I’ll give her the calling card.

She’s my mom, after all. I really want to help her! The next time you see the Phantom Thieves, please tell them I said thank you. And thanks for talking to them about this, Hamiru-san. I’m going to teach you my best, strongest move…
I feel like my bond with Shinya is growing deeper…

Oh, I guess it’s late… Hey, do me a favor… Don’t tell anyone you saw me crying earlier, okay?

No promises, kid… But if it makes you feel better, it wasn’t even funny crying, so I’d have no reason to.

Interacting with Shinya has made my heart grow… I feel like my Kindness has increased…

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Oh, and say hi to the Phantom Thieves for me. Later.

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

Could you let the Phantom Thieves know?

I’ve got some time today if you want me to show you the ropes.

Sorry, Soj’. We got poo poo to do and no time to deviate.

“Do you think the Phantom Thieves are innocent”? It’s funny that people make a big deal out of it.
(Young Male Customer) Of course they’re not innocent. They’re wanted, so they’d be arrested on the spot.

The cabinet’s approval ratings hit rock bottom due to how they’ve dealt with the Phantom Thieves. With Representative Shido leading the criticism, many are starting to consider leaving the party. If the ruling party—the Liberal Co-Prosperity Party—splits, a snap Diet election is certain.
They’re having a falling out because of us? I don’t really get politics.

Everyone on the internet agrees with me, so obviously I’m right. My boss is the one who needs to wake up! So I leave work on time, and my boss holds that against me? He still doesn’t get it!

(Doting Father) If your tummy gets upset after having some… Well, you’ll know why. Oh, and I talked to your mom, by the way, so we’ll have hot pot together soon.
Really? Yay!

Music: Kichijoji 199X

Why would we ever play by ourselves? Just to make it go quicker for Proficiency gains instead of leveling Baton Passes? Bizarre.

We’ll be playing with Akechi today. Obviously.

What!?

Uh, yeah, actually I do have a problem wi—
Splendid!

So, Akechi insists on playing 701 instead of the standard 301. We’ll get into why this is a problem in a second.

We now have all the darts upgrades, including a smaller aiming oval and the ability to slow down the movement of the dot with Third Eye.

Now, the reason it’s bad that Akechi decided to show off and pick 701 is because it’s a higher point value to have to reduce, obviously. But that’s not the whole of it. See, you might remember that when we can get within spitting distance of 0 on Round 3, we can then motivate our partner to finish on Round 4, which levels up their Baton Pass twice instead of only once. Akechi picking 701 means we can’t do this, because it’s impossible to finish in Round 4 unless both players are going for 180 points each round (or very slightly less, there’s only 19 points of wiggle room). Akechi is a braggart, but unfortunately, he’s also kind of lazy, deciding to stick with only going for triple bullseyes on his turns. Because of that, we’re not going to have enough points to finish any sooner than Round 5… so we’ll have to come back another day and play again to max his Baton Pass level.

I’m up next! Lemme show you what these paws can do!

As funny as that sounds, no thanks.

Oh well, I’m sure you’ve got a lot to think aobut. We’ll play next time.

Maaku gains Proficiency +2, and an extra Proficiency +1 for getting play bonuses.

Well then, see you later.

Anon: can’t know w/o a trial

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

We’ll read this Batting Science book. We’ll probably never go back to the batting cages, though.

Music: Everyday Days

Hmm… Is it really possible to get better at batting just by reading a book?

It really went into detail about how you can identify what kind of pitch is coming at you… We should go to the batting cages sometime and try out what you learned!

Music: Suspicion

What!? No you weren’t! We hung out together last night!
Drat, I forgot it was him… I’d better be careful about deploying that excuse in the future… Err, anyway…

I trust you haven’t forgotten about the deadline? I’m going to give it everything I have, for your sakes as well. Also, once the Phantom Thieves finish this final job, I don’t think I’ll be seeing you privately like this anymore.

Don’t get me wrong, it was time well spent. A part of me is sad to see it end. But once you’ve disbanded, everyone’s going to be busy looking for the culprit behind the psychotic breakdowns. Until that happens though, let’s continue to work together. Now then, I’ll be going.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

There were those incidents in April, then the Phantom Thieves and the principal… *sigh* Yes… As you young folk might say, the situation is indeed quite wack. Perhaps you’re wondering why I used such hip technology, hm? Now then, Hamiru-kun. The word “wack” was originally part of a code used by ancient thieves. Can you tell me the meaning of the word “wack” in Thieves’ Cant?

Correct. You know a lot about this, do you…? I daresay you must be pretty wack, yourself. …I’m joking, of course. Still, you must be quite diligent in your studies. Thieves of olden days might have worked in groups, but at the end of the day, they all expected to get their cut. If you wanted your part of a haul of riches your group stole, you would demand your wack, you see.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

If today’s youth are freely using Thieves’ Cant to each other in broad daylight… …Then truly, we live in wack times indeed.
…I’ve been listening to a lot of teenagers, but I’m not sure I’ve ever heard them say that… Still, he’s trying so hard, it would be a shame to correct him.

When I was completing my English major a couple years back, I had to take Spanish classes for the language requirement, and the middle-aged teacher constantly used new slang “ironically,” which would have been incredibly cringy on its own, but it was even worse because he was using incredibly new and esoteric slang I had never heard before like “cheugy.” Is that even a real thing teenagers say? Also, he also at one point in the class stopped to look up a slang phrase on Urban Dictionary, unaware that that site is used exclusively by horrible perverts attempting to troll people like him. That was weird. Back to the LP!

Morning → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

C’mon, let’s go. I got something I wanna talk to you about durin’.

Aw yeah! Let’s grab some ramen after we finish trainin’ then!

Chariot Rank 10: Part 139

Music: Sunset Bridge

By the way, the track team’s up and runnin’ again. Yamauchi got taken down pretty quick.

Remember how Takeishi’s mom is the PTA prez? Well, he told her everything, and she stormed in there with the other parents and killed his whole plan. They even got the track team back! Our old coach is fillin’ in for now.
Still don’t like those guys… but good for them, I guess.
Anyway, let’s eat!

Phew, that was awesome…

To be honest, I was scared of facin’ my old team. They all hated me so much, and that just made me think about how stupid I was, and how I lost my place with them…
Stop acting like what happened was your fault. It’s pissing me off. They’re the ones who didn’t support you, remember?
It doesn’t matter now anyways. I changed because you stuck by me. Thanks, man. This started as Phantom Thieves trainin’, but it ended up like this… Whatever. It’s my turn to help you now. If anything comes up, I’ll be there for you. Whatever you need!
Okay, cool, I need help moving some furniture this weekend, actually…

I feel a strong bond with Ryuji…

Music: The Spirit

Music: Swear to My Bones

Music: What’s Going On?

First up: the Phantom Thieves!

I swear to god, dude, one of these days I’m gonna kill you if you can’t keep your drat trap shut…
Sorry…

I’ll be countin’ on you, Leader. And you can count on me too!
*nod*
Hey, now that we’re all fueled up, wanna race to the station?

We sub in Seiten Taisei’s new skill Evade Wind for Adverse Resolve, which was terrible.

As in the original game, Persona stats and weaknesses are unaffected by a party member’s second awakening, but Seiten Taisei’s Electricity resistance is upgraded to Null, and it gains a Fire resistance. Again though, that all happened in the original game. It is worth noting that Seiten Taisei’s Trait is exactly the same as Captain Kidd’s was, Raging Temper. It’s a little weird to me how marginal the party Persona upgrades are in P5, honestly. You really just get the Evade skill and a couple of resistances, so if you toss the skill there’s very little change for the party member in question.

After School → Evening

Highly supported by his peers, Representative Masayoshi Shido is rumored to be forming a new party. If an election does happen, it seems Representative Shido’s group will be in the eye of the storm.
Sounds like there’s going to be an election. You’re still not old enough to vote yet, right?

Hey, Akechi’s ready to hang out again! This is a perfect opportunity to perform reconnaissance on the enemy hang out!

It doesn’t feel right to just leave our battles on hold… Speaking of which…

Even if I only have a little time, I’d like to spend it with you. I expect you’ve improved since last time. If you’re confident, I’ll play you using my right hand.

Oh, he’s *way* into me… I’m flattered, but also, he’s a murderer… Decisions…

Music: Kichijoji 199X

You can’t simply strike the ball you’re aiming for. You have to be indirect, but precise, to land it in the pocket…

Oh, god, he’s loving this poo poo, isn’t he? Just rubbing it in my face and daring me to notice. Better play dumb, though.

I’m sure I don’t have to draw you a picture. The psychotic breakdown cases—even the criminals’ changes of heart. Everything happening around us, every little inconsequential event, may simply be one ball striking another.

And despite the player’s best intentions, the ball may strike many unrelated obstacles in its path.

…He seems to be suggesting here he didn’t intend, or at least initially plan, to do all that mass murder, right? I’m not reading that wrong? That seems a little suspect, honestly, but it’s still an interesting character detail.

That was quite a heated match. Shall we cool off in the evening breeze for a moment?

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Remember when I said before that you and I are similar? We’re both victims of unjust adults. And now, we have the will and power to rise up against them. Yet I’m doing so as a detective, and you’re acting as a phantom thief. Our stances couldn’t be more different.

Haha, is that a serious question?

How about it?

I agree. I think a relationship of equals suits us better than being co-conspirators, anyway… …No matter what else may change.

Dude’s laying it on real fuckin’ thick here, huh?

In any case, what you just said carries great weight. Remember what you decided, and don’t run from it. All right? That said, as long as we’re working together, you’ll have my strength.

I feel like my bond with Akechi is growing deeper…

…Well. I’ll keep that in mind. Well then, farewell for now.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

You never cease to amaze me. It wasn’t against my dominant hand, of course, but I still can’t believe you beat me. Your competitive spirit definitely deserves praise. You really were terrible at first. But you caught up to me in no time… I have to ask—why do you get so competitive against me?

Haha… yes, that’s right. Neither of us can afford to lose, because we fight in service of our principles. And that is precisely why… I cannot allow you to change. As you are now, as you think now… I cannot allow you to win over me.

Huh. Weird!

Huh…? Who could that be at this hour?

Earlier I got some info that I can’t turn a blind eye to. I got us two passes. Wanna go check it out tomorrow?

Anon: Oh how far they’ve fallen

Daytime

Music: Tokyo Emergency

However, fewer tips have been sent in than expected. It’s believed that some individuals fear potential retaliation. The police are considering increasing the reward and continue to request information.
It just keeps snowballing… Is there really nothing they won’t do to catch us?

Quick note: I actually recorded the Mishima Dome Town visit, but decided not to put it in the update because it is entirely lifted directly from the original game (though it’s a month earlier on the calendar in the original for some reason), so I already covered it there. If you want to see it, it’s in Part 121. That said, I wish I had recorded myself turning him down, because it’s very funny and very sad:

>I have plans.
I see… I already bought two tickets… I’ll go twice by myself.

Poor sap.

As for what we’ll really be doing today, let’s get the gang together.

I think it’s time to head into the Metaverse.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 27, 2024

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I only heard of "cheugy" when Pokemon brought it up as intentionally incomprehensible slang.

The Persona upgrades feel like a relic of P4, where they're the culmination of gaining multiple skills over the course of the social link. Plus it worked thematically there; gaining Evade skills was a way to show that even if they haven't solved their inner struggles, they've found ways to deal with them. Here it's just kind of... odd.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I guarantee it. And they won’t even kill her, in case you were worried about that!
Uh, I wasn’t…
I do find it unfortunate that the game does not account for Shinya doubting the integrity of the Phantom Thieve if you level up his confidant during the recent events.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Flair posted:

I do find it unfortunate that the game does not account for Shinya doubting the integrity of the Phantom Thieve if you level up his confidant during the recent events.

Eh. It makes some sense that there would be a few people out there who reject the narrative that's being inflicted on them, especially if they have established bonds with members of the group.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

TheDavies posted:

Eh. It makes some sense that there would be a few people out there who reject the narrative that's being inflicted on them, especially if they have established bonds with members of the group.

I would hope that Shinya just acknowledges the recent events. In this specific confidant rank, he does not know that Maaku is part of the group; Shinya's only connection to the Phanton Thieves is a calling card and being a fan. For the few people (e.g. the ones who reach max rank with Joker), it is understandable that they would doubt the mainstream narrative, but them not acknowledging or bringing it up during the max rank event if it occurs around the recent events is another issue.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The audacity of this smug little poo poo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It does, to an extent, make sense that Akechi didn't plan to do all the mass murder. He was trying to ingratiate himself to Shido through any means necessary via his special powers so that once Shido is at the top, Akechi can tear him down entirely as revenge.

But Akechi was a literal child at the time (11 I think would be the age he'd have to have started working for Shido?) so of course the adult ran circles around him and pushed him into a point where Akechi more or less can't abandon his path anymore because to do so would mean all the literal murder he's done would have been for nothing.

Akechi's plan was always to take down Shido, the murder is what Shido forces him to do to get close enough to Shido to complete his plan (that will never actually succeed, but was thought up by a 11-13 year old orphan who hated his bio dad and missed his mom).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He wasn't quite that young; unless I'm misremembering the Great Exposition, Wakaba's death was his first big job with Shido, and that was only two years ago, so he'd have been 16 at the time of her murder. Definitely wasn't any younger than 15 before he got involved with the Conspiracy.

Though I agree with the broader point, I could see Akechi feeling like he's not really in control of his situation anymore and is regretting how it escalated.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I feel like Akechi works better as a character with all this "you know I know you know *wink wink*" stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

11 seems absurdly young, especially since that would mean that the timeline of his Metaverse use would therefore overlap with the events of Persona 3, which feels weird to me. I would much more readily buy that Wakaba was his first kill, yeah.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He wasn't quite that young; unless I'm misremembering the Great Exposition, Wakaba's death was his first big job with Shido, and that was only two years ago, so he'd have been 16 at the time of her murder. Definitely wasn't any younger than 15 before he got involved with the Conspiracy.

Though I agree with the broader point, I could see Akechi feeling like he's not really in control of his situation anymore and is regretting how it escalated.

Wiki says 15 I was spit-balling based on the way the writing works and poor memories of the overall timeline apologies, point remains that his actual plan was to offer his abilities to go into palaces and kill people inside to help Shido as an assassin. Then reveal Shidos crimes upon him becoming Prime Minister. The Mental Shutdowns (and thus mass terrorism/slaughter) is all Shido teaching Akechi a use of his powers via Wakaba's stolen research, and so not really part of Akechi's initial plan since he doesn't know they're possible until Shido explains to him???

The initial plan basically would've involved only killing people with Palaces, which basically everyone in game but Sae (who is on the verge of becoming an absolute monster) and Futaba (who is suicidal not harmful) are kind of total shitbags whose deaths are things Akechi at 15 probably could justify to get close to Shido. Stuff like the train crash though, I can see that being Akechi realising he's losing even a semblance of control over what he has to do to complete his mission, but can't back out now. Which he can only reveal to Joker (who he feels an intense if broken rivalry kinship to already).

Edit for clarity: Akechi's initial plan likely involved the minimum possible murder and only of particularly lovely people with Palaces in the hopes of getting close enough to Shido to destroy him. Shido's the one who added mass murder and mementos to it as he took control of Akechi as an assassin and terror weapon for his own plan to rule Japan.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 29, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like Akechi works better as a character with all this "you know I know you know *wink wink*" stuff.

People say the "twist" in the original game is that the Phantom Thieves knew Akechi was the culprit the whole time and were playing him, but that always felt a little hollow to me with the way the game presents it, where it seems like they wanted you to be genuinely shocked by Akechi's betrayal. So yeah, I agree, I think Akechi's role in the story makes way more sense the less subtle he is about this, and it also allows them to actually characterize the "real" him before the twist happens, as seen here.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

People say the "twist" in the original game is that the Phantom Thieves knew Akechi was the culprit the whole time and were playing him, but that always felt a little hollow to me with the way the game presents it, where it seems like they wanted you to be genuinely shocked by Akechi's betrayal. So yeah, I agree, I think Akechi's role in the story makes way more sense the less subtle he is about this, and it also allows them to actually characterize the "real" him before the twist happens, as seen here.

I think the game wants to have both twists, but actively sabotages itself when the cops tell Joker at the start of the game that he was sold out. So the player is going to be expecting the twist and probably is gonna be actively trying to guess who the rat is. So when it finally catches up to now the suspect list is pretty much narrowed down to your trusted allies, Sojiro (who is a ROTTEN ADULT), and Akechi, the guy who is literally blackmailing you*.

I almost wonder if it's another consequence of them doing the anime cutscenes separate from like, the entire rest of the script.

*I will confess that in my initial playthrough I thought "well it couldn't be that obvious" and predicted that Haru was the snitch because we had comparatively spent the least amount of time with her. I had too much faith in the writers, I guess.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it's just the result of a lot of editing and rewrites, combined with not enough time (or effort?) to clean up the final narrative.

Like we get the "you were sold out" line, and Makoto's unexplained personal day, because those couldn't simply be cut. They'd have to edit the animated video for the former, and write a new scene explaining why you don't go to the palace that day for the latter.

So it becomes kind of a half-aborted red herring plot, where they really milk the reveal that Akechi was the traitor, but also don't do anything to set up any other suspects.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

The reworking of the whole Justice confidant arc for Royal has salvaged Akechi as a character for me. The story-driven rank-ups in P5 were grating and made his character too 1-dimensional, but the whole 'I know you're a metaverse user so what's your deal' exchange he and Joker have going on from like Rank 3 onwards does a LOT more to establish him in Royal.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHo77MuynUo&t=35s

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I know that Joker and Morgana figured out it pretty much immediately, and Futaba had to have known before the actual infiltration started (which is when she planted the bug on his phone). Not sure about the rest, but I imagine it would be sometime before the infiltration started and they just had a separate group chat without Akechi in it to go 'heeheehee that idiot'.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
The problem with trying to use any of the other characters as red herrings for the betrayer is that the only one with means, motive, and opportunity is Haru and "revenge for accidentally killing her father who'd turned into a monster and was trying to sell her off as a business asset" kinda falls apart in the later half.

Ryuji and Ann have been there from the begining and have no ulterior designs.
Morgana can't remember what his ulterior design is.
Yusuke wouldn't do it because there's no art in it.
Makoto has means and opportunity, but hasn't had a motive since the Principal double betrayed her first. Also, she has all the subtility of a howitzer and even Ryuji picked up on her being weird when she first joined.
Futuba also has means and opportunity, but there isn't anything she could be tempted into betraying her family for.
Haru has all three, but, like I said.
And then there's Akechi.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
akechi's social link is the best part of the game. it's so annoyingly, insufferably gay, this loving fruit who wants so bad to kill jonkler but doesn't understand that this specific kind of desiring this damned spot out of his life is a feeling that isn't hatred but something else he's never felt before because he doesn't know how to process emotions non-negatively. all the while he's going 'yessss i'm going to GET him nyehehehehe' while he and jonkler are going on dates to his favorite jazz club and getting naked together and getting good at darts. the game mechanically forces you to go on twice as many darts dates with him as with any other party member! it's true love (rival-type (derogatory)). great stuff

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 167: 11/3: Requestathon

Welcome, one and all, to this most illustrious of events: a Mementos update! Yep, Mementos! I never actually said we were going to Sae’s Palace last time! But, seriously, we for real for real need to head into Mementos today. We’ve gotten all the Confidant requests, and if we want to max out everyone possible before the deadline, it has to be today.

Also worth noting that this Mementos visit lasted upwards of 135 minutes, making it eligible for the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay. Normally I cut down Mementos updates extremely heavily because they’re hell to edit and I want to get through them as quickly as possible, but I don’t think I’ll be able to do that this time, so we’re probably gonna have to split it in two! Fun!

Music: Tokyo Emergency

We’ll start with this one first…

The assassin posing as a homeless man.
Hey, I know that guy!
Huh!?
What do you *mean*!?
No, you know what? We’re not doing this right now. I’m not hearing any objections, Morgana. Keep going.
The cult leader coercing a fortune teller.
We gotta help Chihaya, you guys!
Mifune-san must be a good person for you to be so concerned for her well-being.
She scammed me out of one hundred thousand yen, actually.
Why are you like this…?
The yakuza member threatening Iwai.
He pointed a gun at me!
You meet so many… interesting people, don’t you…?
The newspaper boss harassing his subordinate, Ohya.
This guy has some weird loving priorities, all I’ll say.
Good, because I’m not going to ask.
…Okay, fine twist my arm, I’ll tell you. He was about to fire Ohya for looking into a case against his orders, and she got out of it by pretending she was dating me! And it worked! Why was pedophilia *more* okay with him!?
You okay there…?
Don’t stop, we’re almost through this.
The parents making their daughter pay off their debt.
That’s bad… wait, pay off how?
From what Futaba told me, sounds like selling pictures of her doing amateur gravure modeling.
Uh-huh… And *how* old is she?
Futaba’s age.
……
Okay, so I know we usually just change their heart… and also, that we’re currently wrongly suspected of murder… but I’m just saying… what if we killed these guys?
Approved.
Execution, no trial.
Wait, we can’t just… Oh, I don’t actually have an objection, do I? Okay, time to die.
Let’s do this!
*ahem*
Oh, right, the cop’s here to spoil things.
I’ll put it this way: If you do this, not only will I turn you in, but you’ll also be orphaning a child. Do you really want either of those outcomes?
I mean… I *guess* not…
Excellent. Is there anything else?
Nope, that’s everything.

Quit nagging me.

Say, isn’t one of the rules that we have to be unanimous in deciding on targets?
…Yes. Your point?
Well, we currently have seven targets. We agreed on five just now, plus the Oda child’s mother which we already discussed. Who’s the seventh target? I don’t believe I was privy to that conversation.
*awkward silence*
Go on, Maaku. Tell him about *that one.*
Erm… Well… You see… *ahem* It’s some guy cheating at an arcade game. *ahem*
I see… Follow-up question: would it be possible for me to revoke permission for this target?
No, we already decided to do it! No take-backs! Let’s go!

Music: Mementos

It looks like Mementos has expanded even further…
Hm? I thought public opinion of us determined Mementos expansion… and that has plummeted lately.
Our notability must still be on the rise, even if it’s because of our currently bad reputation…
So we’re like a celebrity who gets more famous because of scandals? I don’t like the sound of that…
Either way, the further we go, the more powerful enemies we’ll meet. We need to be cautious in here.

First up, we’ll be heading to the Path of Kaitul, which is two blocks back from the one that just became available. There’s three whole targets there this time, which is quite a few considering how old it is, but that’s just because we’re just now getting some older Confidants up to the requisite ranks.

These targets are all over the place, so we’ll just start from the last floor of the previous block and move downwards through the entire block until we’ve found all of them.

Music: Mementos – Upper Layer

The first time we get into a real fight, we get the tutorial for Shadow Factorization from Queen’s Confidant. I was actually rather surprised that we hadn’t unlocked this yet, but we haven’t actually been in the Metaverse in quite a while, so it makes sense.

Next up, Shinya’s Bullet Hail ability has been upgraded with Electric Slug from his most recent Confidant rank. Now we can do about 50% damage to all enemies at the start of battle when Bullet Hail procs.

We also have the Perma-Pick now, so we can take advantage of the myriad locked chests in here. We’ll be getting a lot of these, and space is at a premium, so I won’t be listing everything I get like I normally do. Most of it’s pretty crap anyways, though.

In Kaitul Area 3, we find our first target.

Last time we were in Mementos (which, upon checking, was September 5th, two in-game and eight real-life months ago), I mentioned that Futaba’s Mementos Scan was less useful in Royal because you can’t just immediately skip a floor anymore when it procs, you need to at least go to the exit to grab the stamp. That’s true, but it kind of misses the better part of Mementos Scan activating, which is immediately knowing when there’s a bonus stamp on a floor and not having to loving search the entire floor just in case. That’s definitely worth the minor inconvenience.

The Debilitator Ofuda is an item that casts Debilitate on an enemy, reducing all three of their battle parameters. Neat.

Music: Desire

Hey! Stop making Chihaya sell rock salt to fund your stupid cult!
I’m letting Chihaya make people happy! Don’t ruin this grift for me, man!

Music: Keeper of Lust

This is not a notable fight in basically any way. What *is* notable is this:

I’ll punish you!

Our new Showtime is ready. Let’s see it.

Video: Makoto and Haru’s Showtime (Watch this)

Pardon me… *nervous giggle*
Bring it.

Showtime!

*gasp*

Haaaaaaaragh!
Haaaaaaaaaaa!

This is gonna hurt!
How brutal!

Noir!

Leave it to me! Ready, set…

Show’s over!

Splendid!
Maybe we overdid it…

I’m sorry… I got scammed when I first came to this city too… And the police didn’t help at all.
Yeah, that sounds like them.
That’s why I thought I had to do the same to others… But I shouldn’t have made Chihaya scam all those people… I actually knew her before she came to the city… She’s such a nice girl…
Debatable.
Her powers are real… I took advantage of them…
That’s stupid. Fortune-telling isn’t real. Anyway, give me your Trinket or whatever.

This is a weapon for Queen with a high chance of inflicting Brainwash, heh.

On the very next floor is the next target.

Hey, I’m kinda busy at the moment. Yakuza poo poo, you understand. So, if you don’t mind, can we skip straight to the fight?
Understandable. I accept your terms.

Oh, you meant *literal* yakuza poo poo, huh…?

This fight goes about as well as you’d expect for the dude stuck in the middle of taking a dump. We take him down in under two rounds.

Aw man… when the other yakuza find out I got scammed, they’re all gonna make fun of me… I’m sorry for threatening to kill you, Mune…

Further in, we run into a completely dark floor with no map available. Kind of annoying to navigate, honestly. We *could* just go back up a floor and come back down to reset it, but nah, let’s try.

Here’s a fun quiz for everyone here: have you realized yet that I forgot to get a Money Reading from Chihaya?

At least there’s a Fusion Alarm active now.

We’re going to avoid interacting with Jose for the time being. His inventory won’t update until we hit the newer floor, so we’ll save our flowers for when we get there.

Anyway, we find the next target in Area 9 of Kaitul.

Are you that kid Ohya was dating? That’s kinda weird. None of my business, though…
I told you guys! Weird!
I need her to stop looking into that case! She’s gonna get me in troubleeeeeee!

>Free Ohya!

If you’ve forgotten this fight (you have), it’s the one where the boss can only cast Megido, and only once, because of his incredibly low SP pool. He then needs to waste his next turn recovering SP with Invigorate 3. We’ll kill him before he gets to use it a second time.

I’m too much of a coward to oppose my bosses! I didn’t want to rock the boat!
Then why are you a goddamn journalist!?
I needed the stable income…
I repeat my question.
Ohya didn’t care who she upset, though… She was so fearless, always pursuing the truth… I used to have that passion too, before my wife cheated on me…
Uh, okay, didn’t ask. Gimme item.

Let’s head back up to the entrance and utilize that fusion alarm.

Music: Aria of the Soul

We’ll be making Narcissus from Queen Mab and Kumbhanda.

Narcissus is above our level, so we’re going to have to pay out the rear end to fuse it.

By becoming one with my mask, you have gained the visage of true beauty, both inner and outer.

Narcissus is a hunter from Greek mythology who was known for his beauty by all regardless of gender. He rejected all advances, man or woman, and eventually fell in love with his own reflection.

That’ll do it for that Narcissus.

We’re next going to make a new gun for Queen from Yurlungur.

We’ll switch back to the guillotine and make a Jatayu from Daisoujou and Pazuzu.

We need even more money this time. We’ve made about 100k yen in Mementos so far today, and these two fusions will completely erase those gains, lol.

I will gladly sacrifice my body to help you. If it brings you glory, a new mask I shall become.

Jatayu is a demigod from the Hindu epic Ramayana, generally depicted as either an eagle or vulture. In the epic, it is an old friend of Rama, the legendary prince of Kosal, and it attempted to rescue Rama’s wife after she was captured by the devil-king Ravana, who defeated Jatayu by cutting off its wings. In Malaysian literature, it is related to the deity Garuda.

I’m gonna take a chance and let these skills change.

Seems like mostly a trade up, good.

We’ll leave now to mitigate the risk of a fusion accident.

We’ll equip that new gun onto Queen before heading back in.

Our next target for Strength requests is Bugs with Samarecarm. We have all the material for the base fusion, but unfortunately, our Hariti still doesn’t know Samarecarm yet.

We could go to the Gallows to get the experience we need for that final level, but I only have one Persona in my repertoire that I’m willing to sacrifice at the moment, and it gives just barely less than what we need. And I didn’t think to do this before leaving the alarm, which would have doubled the experience gain, poo poo. We’ll just have to take Hariti with us for now and get her some experience that way.

But that’ll have to be for next time, because I’m going to stop this one here! Hopefully we’ll finish with the next update, but I’m not holding my breath, especially because this update only covered about forty minutes!

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 8, 2024

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
fun fact: the horrible parents' shadows are in the Path of Adyeschach, which is only unlocked after the Okumura arc, but the game also locks you out of visiting Mementos at that point due to Haru's brief leave of absence

You only regain Mementos access after scouting out Sae's Palace, which is also when Akechi joins the party.

Futaba's confidant is the only Phantom Thief confidant that is time gated, and the plot event required to advance it is recruiting Akechi.

...I'm not sure that actually is a fun fact, but I remember being weirded out when I noticed it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I've enjoyed the evolution of Makato from being Maaku's punching bag to just being beyond done with his dumb bullshit

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I think "a guy who cheats at videogames" is a valid target when the guy in question is using said videogames to bully little kids.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rannum posted:

I've enjoyed the evolution of Makato from being Maaku's punching bag to just being beyond done with his dumb bullshit

:yeah:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Welcome to Big Bang Burger, what would you like?

I'LL HAVE THE GALACTIC MEAL, DUDE.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wish they let Makoto be more done with the gang in reality because I think she's one of the characters I have the hardest time relating to. She gets a few amusing moments but the "I also have secret rage! to unleash" isn't channeled across very well and Haru actually does a better job of that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

rannum posted:

I've probably made it clear by this point that I have a slight distaste for a large portion of the unflappable/overly-composed character archetype, particularly in this game and series. A character just totally having their poo poo together can be interesting in the right circumstances, but when they're surrounded by other characters each with their own nonsense, I tend to find their inability or refusal to participate pretty boring. This is kind of the reason I never super loved the protagonist in the P4 anime, he always came across as a little too-cool-for-school for me when I always enjoyed the joke options in Persona 4 more when I imagined the protagonist as an incredibly earnest weirdo. It's also kind of what I'm trying to do with Maaku a lot of the time; he's certainly capable of being cool, but I ended up pretty much completely throwing away the stoicism angle as a byproduct of leaning into absurdism.

As for Makoto, I used to really like her character, but I eventually stopped finding her very interesting. I don't hate her, but the "rage" angle kind of disappears very quickly and doesn't get replaced with much. It's not the worst thing in the world, she certainly contributes more to the group dynamic and steals less focus from everyone else than Naoto does in P4, but still, I wanted to like her more than I actually ended up doing so. As for the LP portrayal, to the best of my recollection, Makoto being the target of so much vitriol was kind of an accident. She gets a bunch of scenes with the group before she joins, plus scenes with Akechi and Sae, where she just gets heaps of abuse from all sides, and I stuck with that in the LP and just never quite ended up stopping? At first it was explained as a hazing thing I think, but I did start feeling a little weird about having Maaku "bully" her so relentlessly given all the poo poo that gets thrown at her, so eventually I started having her get annoyed and start firing off rejoinders in response. That turned out to be a way more interesting dynamic than anything she's got going on in the actual game, so I just kept doing it.

All that is to say, I'm glad you like what I've done here with these characters. It mostly just kind of happened with no forethought, but that's fine I guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I seem to recall the spin-offs just making Yu 'cool for school' but also 'a very blunt weirdo'. Like they lean into him just eating anything weird like from the Dojima's fridge, and casually praising Kanji while also going 'he could be smarter though'.

I think one issue is actually that they had a harder time making him express the parts where he actually gets emotional, like over Nanako's (not) death or yelling at everyone to calm down.

But part of the problem is that the P4 gang is a lot of weird people and Yosuke ends up being the straight man/punching bag in the player's stead.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

You meet so many… interesting people, don’t you…?
Execution, no trial.

Did Haru take off her jacket to say "Execution"?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel like Joker very much comes off as a cool and stoic dude, and even his goofier options read as more sardonic than earnest, but I think it works for him because that's clearly only one aspect of his character, and the game does a lot to emphasize his various traits. He turns into a total showboat in the Metaverse and he loves it, and his defiant streak shines through a lot of interactions, but particularly that glare he has whenever we get a flash forward to the interrogation. And when he's alone, which is rare because he has Morgana, he's just really sad and lonely, like in the tantrum arc where he's too depressed to play video games because he misses his cat.

Iunno, maybe I'm being uncharitable to the other Persona protagonists, but he just feels a lot more fleshed out than any of them.

E: To add, I think the personality you're giving Joker is very fitting to my understanding of him, to the point where I was disappointed when I replayed the game and realized that the "this was more important" line about Futaba re: Medjed wasn't actually in the game.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 6, 2024

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Flair posted:

Did Haru take off her jacket to say "Execution"?

Well, you can't let the blood splatter on your exterior layer of clothing. :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wish they let Makoto be more done with the gang in reality because I think she's one of the characters I have the hardest time relating to. She gets a few amusing moments but the "I also have secret rage! to unleash" isn't channeled across very well and Haru actually does a better job of that.
I do wonder if that is due to the game's troubled development resulting in Hifumi being demoted to side character and Makoto getting what was Hifumi's original "playable party member" traits grafted onto her own traits in order to save time/resources/headaches. Because the other option is that the devs realized very late they were making this team of eccentrics and weirdos and needed a straight man a la Yousuke to balance things out, and Makoto got that dumped on her for whatever reason as a last-ditch saving throw before time ran out.

At the very least, Makoto doesn't spend the bulk of her game constantly projecting her deep insecurities onto another party member for tasteless comedy purposes like Yousuke does to Kanji.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Akechi would 100% be okay with dealing with the cheater; after all, it's a game he's rather good at as well, remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 168: 11/3: Requestapalooza

Let’s just jump right back into it.

Music: Mementos – Middle Layer

We’ll be continuing from the Path of Akzeriyyuth.

Music: Last Surprise

Can't run from me!

Eventually, we get into a fight with a Treasure Demon, giving us a chance to see the full version of Noir and Mona’s Showtime.

Video: Haru and Morgana’s Showtime

Mona-chan! We’re on!

Leave it to me!

You’ve been bad!

And that’s that!
……
*gasp* Mona-chan!

We already saw the abridged version of this Showtime during the Mammon boss fight, and it’s mostly the exact same, but this one has the crash and explosion at the end (which is kind of the best part) so I felt the need to include it.

The next target is in Area 5.

I am the god of Gun About!
Wait, Gun About? Isn’t that the game I challenged you to?
…Yes.
Ah, I see. You must have been training to rematch me and encountered this cheater. The thought of you impotently flailing to take me down does bring me joy…
Ugh.
However, I cannot abide someone who thinks of themselves as invincible. No one is above reproach. Let us dethrone this false king!
Oh wow, he did get into it after all…

A gamer taught you the moves to take him down, right? Teach that stupid cheater a lesson!

(We’ve actually already increased this limit to three uses via Shinya’s Confidant)

A gunshot that surpasses my cheats!? That can’t be true! Dammit! I’m the strongest! I’m supposed to be king! Me…

I got laid off so the company could bring in younger staff to underpay, so I turned to cheating to feel powerful! I’m sorry!
Yeah, well… don’t do it again, I guess.

Another alarm.

Noir learns Makarakarn, which reflects one magic attack for one ally. I debated what to do here, but I ultimately just swapped it in for Tetrakarn (despite Tetrakarn, which does the same thing but with physical attacks, probably being better in my view). It doesn’t really matter, because we’re not likely to keep either of them in the long run.

Before we hit the bottom of Akzeriyyuth, I decide to gently caress around a bit and start heading up and down the last three floors repeatedly to farm stamps until I’ve got all of them for this block. We still need about 5 (out of a total of 25 for this block) until we’re done, so it’ll take a bit.

This is the most cooperative I’ve ever seen them.
You think they’re sick?

Queen learns Nuke Boost, which will replace Flash Bomb.

Oh hey, a floor with a ton of treasure chests, nice.

Mona learns Samarecarm to replace Me Patra. Me Patra is actually arguably more useful because we can just buy full revive items in this game, but he’ll learn Salvation eventually so whatever.

Sure thing, buddy.

And we’ve finally gotten the last stamp.

Now, to challenge the boss at the end of this block and unlock the next one!

…Is what we could do, but instead we’re going to go take advantage of that fusion alarm!

We’ll now gain far more experience than we need for Hariti by sacrificing Belphegor.

That’ll do it.

We’re also going to turn Anubis into Kougaon.

However, that’s all we’ll do for now. Let’s head back and confront that Shadow.

I love murder! I’m even gonna kill my own split personality! I’m just that hosed up!
That’s evil.
But have you considered… what if it’s actually evil to stop me?
Oh gently caress… what if he’s right…?
*Joker.*
R-Right, let’s do this.

The most interesting thing that happens in this fight is the boss using Mind Slice on his first turn and literally the entire party dodging it. That’s really it.

Wait! I’m just like you! I only kill criminals the police can’t touch!
Oh, so you have a Punisher thing going on, neat. I kinda respect it, but also, we’re already in the middle of this, so…
Noooo! I don’t want to disappear!
Well now this is just kind of pathetic, man. You killed all those people and you won’t accept death yourself? Just take it with dignity, man.
…Fine. But you better be prepared to get rid of the trash I’m not there to dispose of now…
Yeah, sure, okay, just stop talking and give me your Doodad.

In the original game, this could be used to bypass the final Strength request! And it still can!

Let’s head over to the next block now.

We can now expand the range of our exploration.
Then let’s get goin’!

Wow… This place is a lot bigger than what I’d heard.
I expect the Shadows here will be strong, too. Be careful!

Fusion alarm active.

God, there’s thirty stamps for this block.

Even I don’t know that. The only thing I can say is… The sheer scale of this place… is astronomical.
Well, yeah, but c’mon. We knew that already.
Oh, Mona… You’re always trying to act cool in front of Noir.
Th-That’s not true! I just wanted to make sure she knew!
Hehehe.

Area 3 has another target for us.

Crow learns Kougaon, which annoyingly goes into an empty slot so we can’t just get rid of Kouga yet.

We keep having bad luck at the races! That’s the only reason we’re poor!
Kana can’t go to school! She needs to use her sex appeal to make us money so we get get rich! Then we’ll all be happy!

I feel the need to insist that the bit about “sex appeal” in there is in no way editorializing from me. That’s something they actually loving say here.

Dammit, I *really* want these people to die. Oh well…

These two put up an alright fight. They hit a couple weaknesses, get a Technical off on Skull due to inflicting him with Sleep, I actually have to heal a couple times, et cetera. It’s still not a real challenge, though.

Panther learns Agidyne to replace Agilao.

We’re sorry… We were just in so much debt… We’re terrible parents…
We’ll stop making Kana do that work… We’ll quit gambling and figure out how to pay it back.
Okay, good. Make sure this lesson sticks. We’re not gonna be this nice the second time.
Don’t love the implied threat, but I’ll take this small victory, I suppose…

In a later fight…
Music: Take Over

I mainly included this bit with Queen’s gun assist because whaaaaaaat the gently caress is that revolver, Queen!? I guess it’s *literally* made out of our favorite rainbow worm Yurlungur, huh?

Oh hey, Jose. Finally, we get to go see him.

In Persona 3, whenever you got a “special” floor of Tartarus with weird Shadow spawns it pretty much always meant the Reaper was liable to spawn much more quickly than normal. I’m not sure if that carries forward to Mementos here, but we should probably do our business and leave quickly.

Lemme see it!

And then put that there…

Here you go, mister. Let me know if you find any others like it, okay? Learning about warped cognitions also teaches me more about humans.

I was able to go to a new area, so I went around and picked up some new stuff. If you traded any flowers you’ve found for this stuff, I’d be so happy!

Music: Have a Short Rest

Okay, we have… 803 flowers. I’m pretty sure it caps at 999, so that’s a lot. We’ll buy a Model Gun, a Black Kogatana, and a Black Robe (all transmutation items) for 90 total, Nirvana ST, MA, and EN incenses for 240 total, a Stamina Kit L (restores 40% SP for everyone in a safe room) for 210, a Chewing Soul (item that restores 100 SP for an ally) for 170, and a Kongou Ofuda (Marakukaja item) for 70. That leaves us with 23 flowers, of which we’ll spend 15 on a Blank Card for making skill cards. That’ll run us from 803 flowers to 8.

Next, we’ll use our stamps. We have a lot of stamps right now, enough to increase our money rewards three stages from 160% to 190%.

We’re pretty close to what we need for the final stage of Item Rewards Up, so we’ll probably grab that later, before we leave Mementos.

The Ring of Greed we got from Jose lets us cast Concentrate, but on any party member, not just the user. It also has the passive skill Attack Master, giving the user the effect of Tarukaja at the start of battle. We’ll slap that on Akechi.

This is Area 7, for the record.

We’re halfway there, guys. Let’s plow the rest of the way through!
You’re pretty good at navigatin’. Sure is nice to have reliable info!
Why are you looking at me!?

Are we seriously not done with this poo poo!?

Fox learns Deadly Fury to replace Rising Slash. They’re effectively the same move, single-target Physical that powers up even more after a Baton Pass, but Deadly Fury is Severe instead of Heavy.

You might be wondering why I’m back in Area 6. Well, shut up.

(I didn’t know if I had grabbed the stamp at the end of 6 so I went back to check. I had, but Mementos Scan went off and there was a bonus stamp, so I went to get it)

Next time we run into Jose, we get the final Item Rewards upgrade.

Skull learns Deathbound to replace Swift Strike. Swift Strike was Miniscule Physical to all foes 2-4 times, while Deathbound is Medium Physical to all foes 1-2 times. It’s fewer hits (and thus less chances to crit) but it’s definitely more guaranteed damage. I will admit though, I wasn’t sure about replacing Swift Strike… until I noticed that Deathbound costs almost twice as much HP to use, meaning the devs probably think it’s a lot stronger.

Area 10.

You’re getting close to the end… No doubt about it.
We’ve got to keep going just a little longer.

We’ll replace Crow’s Eiga with Eigaon.

In Area 11, we find our target.

Everyone is my enemy! No one will help a single mother! Have you read Atlas Shrugged? It’s pretty good!
You’re making your son miserable.
He needs to be tougher, then! I’m fighting for the happiness of both of us, you know!

This is actually kind of an annoying fight. It’s certainly worse than anything we’ve been up against so far in this visit. I start with Matarukaja, she uses One-shot Kill to halve Skull’s HP, then Charge up with Fox and Psio with Noir. The Psio does 89 damage and does not make a dent in her healthbar. Hell, neither does the Assault Dive on Skull’s turn, which does only 99.

I then use Marakunda to lower her Defense on the next turn, and have Fox use his Charged Deadly Fury for 406 damage. She still has about 4/5 of her health at this point, because the main challenge here is just how much HP she’s got.

On the next turn, Agidyne hits her weakness…

But the All-Out Attack that follows does not even half the damage of the weakness hit. Guess she’s resistant to Almighty, which is annoying and shouldn’t be allowed.

In the future, we’ll instead Baton Pass over to Fox for more Deadly Fury.

That’s more like it. She counters with Vorpal Blade to reduce the party’s HP to almost nothing, but Fox gets in a Showtime to do the same to her. From there, we just have to Baton Pass over to Fox one more time.

And almost everyone level ups there. Not Crow, though. Weird.

I lost… I have nothing…
You have Shinya, dipshit.
Oh… Right… Him… Duh… I forgot I had the greatest happiness with me the whole time… I’ll be a good mother for his sake.

Now, we just need to get to the bottom floor of this block (and cash out any remaining flowers).

Finally… I’m tired of runnin’…
Just imagine what it’s like for me!

Back to Jose.

We’ll max out Money Rewards at 200% now.

We’ll also buy the AG and LU incenses for 80 flowers each, and five Blank Cards for 15 each, leaving us with 10 flowers.

We still need nine stamps from this block, ugh. We’ll get them later. To be clear, there is a reason to collect all the stamps… though I did not know there was one when I first did this on my original playthrough of this game.

No good again…
Does this mean there are still people who don’t accept us?
Don’t worry. As long as we stay active, it’ll open eventually.
We’ll just have to stay patient until that actually happens.

Let’s head into the Velvet Room now. We currently have 888k yen (seriously), and we’ll spend some of that on fusion here.

Bugs from Hariti, Pixie, and Pisaca. We have to make sure to give it Samarecarm, too.

Oh, that’s not that bad.

You the badass with the mask? C’mon dude, let’s play!

That’s my thing to say!!! Anyway, Bugs is a bugbear, a type of hobgoblin comparable to the boogeyman. It was often depicted as a creepy bear lurking in the woods for the purpose of, what else, frightening children.

I will not let these skills change.

Next, because I love tempting fate, I’ll fuse a Valkyrie from Byakko and Arahabaki.

And the guillotine stops, of course.

Here comes the chainsaw!

You able to use power of spirit bird!?

Thunderbird is a legendary creature from Native American folkl—wait, I already fuckin’ did this!

You’re telling me!

Anyway, we get kicked out and have to come back in now. Whatever, we would have had to leave anyway to get our next rank of Strength.

Hmph. You make it seem easy. Well, the assignment is done…

Strength Rank 9: Part 142

Inmate… We must apologize… We keep losing our composure in front of you.
We decided to talk with each other about it. See… we’re really close, but we don’t actually know each other too well…
That sounds rather implausible! You’re sisters!
How blunt… But yes, you have a point… It just feels like it’s always been like this… Furthermore, each of us seems to naturally complement the other in an odd way.
I’ve never had a deep conversation like that before…
Really? What’d you talk about?
Well, you’re really the main thing we have to talk about, so mainly just ways of disciplining you. I have some great new ideas for when you get chatty, Inmate! But that doesn’t matter right now! I remembered something important someone told me! Justine, explain!
It is the journey of the twenty-two arcana… The Fool, embarking on a pilgrimage through each number in sequence, overcoming Death and at the end, obtaining the World. It is the story of one’s path through life.
So, if you’re the Fool, traveling through life…
Then as you get stronger, all three of us will progress in our own journeys. Perhaps that is the promised rehabilitation…?
Oh, I gave up on trying to parse what Long Nose over there means by “rehabilitation” months ago. I recommend you do the same.
…Or perhaps not.
It doesn’t matter though! This list we’ve got was meant to be completed, that’s for sure! Whoever wrote this list wanted to change us, and we gotta have faith in that and see it through!
No idea what you’re talking about, as usual.
Yeah, I figured you wouldn’t be able to comprehend it, Inmate. But… it was really important to the two of us to learn that. And by the way, we might know who that voice in my head was! Don’t even ask, because we’re not telling yet!
Oh, I wasn’t going to.
Insubordination…!
We would tell you, Inmate, but we have no proof as of yet, and if our theory is correct, it would throw everything we know into doubt. We would not burden you with this meaningless speculation. Regardless, we appreciate your efforts. It is thanks to you that we have been able to reflect on ourselves. Perhaps I should refrain from saying so… but I have quite enjoyed our time together.
You hear that, Inmate!? Overcome this ruin stuff and survive! We’ll all learn the truth together!
We vow to do everything in our power to assist you… For the sake of all our futures.

I feel like my bond with Caroline and Justine is growing deeper…

Don’t expect any special treatment just because we believe in you, though! In fact, I’ll be even stricter from now on!
That’s worrying…
There is one last task for you before this final, immensely powerful reward.

That’s a Seth! One that knows High Counter! You better put everything you got into this, Inmate!

And that’s gonna do it for this Mementos visit.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 9, 2024