Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gen. Ripper posted:

Wrong. Haru is inexplicably Irish now.

Ah, I just thought she'd decided to take Phantom Thievery very seriously by becoming a pirate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Ah, I just thought she'd decided to take Phantom Thievery very seriously by becoming a pirate
:hmmyes: this actually works better

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i think this LP might be the next generation of "My Life Is A Goddamn Mess"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 173: 11/9-11/10: Counseling The Counselor (New)

Sorry this one took so long, folks. Infinite Wealth came out, and then I got food poisoning! That is not a bit!

Anon: lol they elected trump holy poo poo

Early Morning

Music: Suspicion

(Glasses-Wearing Worker) Masayoshi Shido. He’s the only one. He’s the only one that can stand up for what’s right—the only one who will make good on his word. That’s the kind of person we need leading this nation, especially in times like these.
(Young Office Worker) Shido leads the United Future movement, right? He was right—if we’d taken the Phantom Thieves seriously from the start, they’d be behind bars by now. Which’ll come first, do you think? Regime change or the apprehension of the Phantom Thieves?
……

Early Morning → Afternoon

Music: So Boring

Time is really slipping away.
What will happen to us if we fail…?

>Relaaaaaaaax.
But we gotta take care of this, man!
We can’t lose heart before we’ve even done anything, though.

If we do that, we’ll just mess everything up, even the parts we can definitely succeed in.
Hm, you actually said something wise for once.
You wanna fight!?
You two get along so well.

Haru ships it, I guess.

Uh, how so?
That is an outrageous claim.
That’s what I should be saying!
Come on, stop it. Let’s try to keep tensions low. We’re all feeling anxious.
Even you, Makoto?
Yes. It really can’t be helped this time.
That’s not how I raised you. Get a hold of yourself, Ryuji!
Why’re you singling me out…?

Afternoon → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

I need to see a girl about some veggies.

*giggle* That makes me happy.

And now let’s plant something new.

Let’s go for Earth Beans this time.

…My time here’s almost up. Soon we won’t be able to talk like this anymore.

So… Do you want to stop by? I won’t take too much of your time.

Now, step right in. I’ve got some snacks and drinks ready.

…There’s actually something I wanted to talk to you about.

I know this is a little personal, but… You remember how my former girlfriend came up the other day? Rumi?

“Uh… sure?”

Music: Alleycat

We were even engaged, if you can believe that. She was so cheerful. I mean, she could get pretty aggressive—she was always kind of hot-headed—but always so kind, too. …She was the best thing that ever happened to me.

But reality’s never that simple.

Rumi and I had been visiting. We were there to see what he’d done to them. It was just… bad luck. But it didn’t end there. He must have been desperate to escape… He attacked Rumi on his way out.

We were lucky Rumi’s injuries weren’t more severe. Her physical ones, at least.

…We talked about that, didn’t we? How wounds of the heart aren’t as straightforward as physical ones? She never really recovered from what happened. Even after all this time. I… kind of lost myself in that pain for a while, too.

…Sorry.

I swore that I’d do all I could to fight back against the unfairness of reality. If someone suffered like that, I’d help.

But that pain I felt back then—that’s how this project was born.

I don’t care how long it takes me. I will make my dream come true.

I… honestly don’t have the words to say what all this means to me. But I can at least say this. Thank you… so much. For everything. Thanks to you, I found my power.

What the gently caress are you talking about, man

My path is clear now. I think this’ll probably be the last time I come to you about the paper.

I’ll let you know when I finally finish that paper.

But for now, I should uphold my end of the deal.

Christ, this guy with the melodramatic portents…

Is this even a snack? What the gently caress am I looking at here?

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

(Middle-Aged Office Worker) The challenging party’s got a lot of good politicians, so their chances were slim to begin with.
Now, after the psychotic breakdown stuff, people are putting their hopes in that one party leader.
Well, right now, there isn’t anyone better. Guess you can’t blame them for hoping.

The prime minister has once again emphasized that he will protect the safety of the people. Few, however, support him. If it comes to an election, the ruling party will fight an uphill battle.
They’re at their lowest approval rating ever… Ours isn’t so great, either.

…No. There’s no point sitting around complaining about it now. I’m sure you’ll be able to turn the tide if you just keep changingt he hearts of horrible criminals. Oh, and I’ll do whatever I can to help you guys out.

Are you free right now?

Let’s talk at the diner then. It’ll probably surprise you… but we can talk some more over there.

Moon Rank 9: Part 125

Music: Break it Down

I found out some scary stuff about them online… I might have messed with some dangerous people… They’re in a gang that’s involved in extorting people!
Nice knowing you, I guess.

I wish I had known that going in… One slip of the tongue in that act I pulled, and I would’ve been dead.

Why, so you could chicken out? Relax, you’re fine now! Probably!
Thanks! …I almost pissed myself again when I was doing my research on those guys though…
Stop telling me things.
Man, you’re so incredible… Maybe it’s just all the stuff you’ve been through, but you were fearless back there.

H-Hi there…

(Short-Haired High Schooler) Whoa, it really is Mishima!
(Thin-Browed High Schooler) Dude, right? Nobody else could be THIS boring.
(Akiyama) ……

Haha! Mishima sucks! He should probably enter the special forces, he’s practically invisible already!
That sounds kinda cool, though…
…Enough of this! It’s boring picking on Mishima now!
Huh? You sure? I thought bullying Mishima always cheered you up.

Music: What’s Going On?

Yeah, well… Not anymore.

I’ve been meaning to say… thanks for earlier.
Hm? Something up with you, man? You’ve got all those suspicious bruises and are always low on cash…

I-I… ……

I’m not really sure what you’re talking about, Akiyama-kun…

Mishima… ...My bad, guess it was someone else. …… …You’ve changed though.

Yo, glasses. This your doing?
In a sense.

Heh… That so? I’m kinda jealous. Anyways, seeya later.

Wait up, Akiyama-kun! We need to find someone else to torment to meet our quota!

It looks like Akiyama-kun’s gonna be just fine. He’s a pretty strong-willed guy. And… I really have changed, huh?

A bit, sure.
Maybe I’m actually becoming more like the Phantom Thieves…
All right, settle down there, champ. Let’s not get too carried away here.

I’m gonna work even harder now to make sure I live up to your legacy!
Mishima is showing a passionate resolve…

You know, I always used to think I couldn’t amount to anything. But I somehow managed to step up and help Akiyama-kun with those thugs. It made me realize… there really are things I can do to save people. That’s why I’ve started writing a documentary on the Phantom Thieves. The research I did on that gang Akiyama-kun was wrapped up in was actually what pushed me to do it. And now I’m basically putting together a massive log of all your activities from the Phan-Site.

Cool idea! You better not reveal too much, rear end in a top hat!
Don’t worry, I’m sure you guys have cool code names or something I can use instead of your real names.
drat, you’ve got us pegged. Anyway, let’s celebrate with some grub. I’m feeling steak.
Sounds good. You know I can’t afford to treat you, though, right? …Right?

Catch you later!

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

……

But that was so fun, right? I’ve never stayed that later at a diner before. You think it’s the power of that fancy fruit juice? I mean, it did cost three times the usual price! …Okay, I’ll stop joking around. I think I’m just really happy to hear that one comment from Akiyama-kun… You heard what he said about me… but do you really think some part of me’s changed?

Eheh… Gosh, man, you’re gonna make me blush… but thank you.

And once it’s finished, I want you to be the first one to read the script! It’s our promise! A vow between men, okay? See you!

I think Akechi would have words about that, Mishima, but I appreciate the thought.

Anon: Enough is enough!!!

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Time to “read” some books.

Hm? That book talks about the fishing pond in Ichigaya, right? You already know about that area, don’t you? Seems kinda pointless to read that now.

Hm? That books talks about Yongen-Jaya, right? You already know about that area, don’t you? Seems kinda pointless to read that now.

Music: Everyday Days

I guess they keep it exciting by doing things like hiring famous actors as tour guides. …In any case, it’s not the kind of place you’d visit alone. I recommend taking someone.

The planetarium in Ikebukuro is probably the closest one to here, so that’s pretty convenient.

Early Morning → Morning

Why’re you looking at me like that? I’m not sleep-deprived because I want to be, you know. My neighbors have been careless on garbage day… The crows were cawing away this morning. Those trash nets the city makes us use only keep them away at the start. Crows are quick learners. On that note, do you all know how to write the kanji for “crow”? The characters for “bird” and “crow” look very similar, but the latter has one fewer line. What do you think, Hamiru-kun? Isn’t it easy to confuse with “bird”?

Do you know why it’s missing in the character for “crow”?

That’s right.

But crows actually have great vision. They can even see UV rays, apparently.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

By the way, one reading for a different “crow” kanji is “ga,” to imitate the sound of it cawing. The character for “pigeon” is the same. It’s based on the bird’s coo, leading to the “ku” pronunciation. Crows are pretty smart, so you’d better study enough so that you don’t lose to them.
Crows are scary, lemme tell ya. When your eyes meet, they start flapping and… *shudder*

Good to know.

Morning → After School

(Energetic First-Year) Does that mean they don’t go to Shujin? That’s a relief…
Sure, but the police need to hurry up—they’re turning people into vegetables left and right.
The Phantom Thieves are so dangerous… Maybe Akechi-kun can do something about it.

I pretended to be a phantom thief because I idolized them, but now I wonder what real justice is like. Hey, you think you could tell me what really defines a hero?

You’re right. Here goes. I guess a hero is someone who helps someone… who needs… help. Aw, I know that sounds dumb! It was all I could think of in the spur of the moment.

I think I get it. Even if I became a phantom thief, I wouldn’t be a hero if I didn’t help anyone. Hehe… Thanks, you really helped me out there. I guess that sort of means you’re my hero, you know?

(Tired-Looking Student) I guess I’ll go get counseling…

It seems Maruki will be working here till the 18th…

So you’re saying that it’s inevitable… if it’s true? As you can see, the citizens are making their decisions based on what they believe to be true. The media may need to consider whether or not they are truly being impartial. And that concludes our on-the-spot coverage.

So you’re saying all the one-sided bashing is too much, hm? As you can see, there are some who express their doubts about the biased news reports.

My sister in christ…

The media may need to consider whether or not they are truly being impartial. And that concludes our on-the-spot coverage.

So you’re saying that you don’t care about the news? As you can see, there are some who are fed up with all the bandwagon bashing. The media may need to consider whether or not they are truly being impartial. And that concludes our on-the-spot coverage.

The world will be swallowed by the surge of darkness… like the Phantom Thieves were!

How can I believe in murderers!? People have been losing their minds left and right, you know? What should I do…? Please tell me… Sun God…

I am no Sun God… but people are losing their minds as we speak… What should I do…? Please tell me… Sun God…

Is the world nearing its end? Soon, I too will lose my mind… What should I do…? Please tell me… Sun God…

(Hard-Faced Man) No, it appears that the people from the bank have given up.
I’m going to take all the money I saved and move overseas to start a business. That way, we can keep making money and live a life of leisure forever!
I’ll be by your side all the way, Akitsu-sama!

That’s the Mementos target Mishima told us about the other day.

(Veteran Pick-Up Artist) Forget about economic reform, and focus more on the female form. We need to pick up more girls!
You already have plenty of girls though, Senpai!
W-Well, I’m thinking of learning from Shido. Maybe start the New Pick-Up Party.

(Sharp Lawyer) I’d say yes in a heartbeat. I don’t want to bring my personal emotions into my work, but… Many people have risen up against society before, but this time, it’s on a different scale. I just really want to see what the Phantom Thieves would do.

No one knows how they commit their crimes. Are you worried no place is safe from them? Don’t be a victim of terrorism or your own fear. Take the steps to be able to say “My home is safe.” Sign up with Wanna-B-Alert now and get a security guard at your home three times a month for free!

I can sense it just by looking at your face. The “death” aura is emitting a strange light… Please be careful.

We’re going to get a Money Reading, because, spoiler alert, we’ll finally be heading into the Palace today.

This tells me that, ultimately, you’ll obtain more money than usual. Hopefully you have a payday coming soon.

We’re then going to talk to Chihaya again and get a Celestial Reading to make our Palace visit even more efficient! …And by “efficient,” I of course mean “significantly longer!” We just unlocked this the other day, but in case you forgot, this boosts the rate of Fusion Alarms for the rest of the day and gives us one immediately. It’s good if you want a Fusion Alarm on a day you’re not going to a Palace, but as I mentioned earlier, the rate gets kinda nuts and dropping everything to go take care of the alarm adds a lot of time and tedium to exploration.

Celestial Fortune costs 20k, much more than other fortunes, which is still absolutely nothing to us right now.

You might feel restless today. But that might be a cue for you to be bold, and take on a challenge.

And as you can see, a Fusion Alarm is active.

(Bespectacled Taxi Driver) No way, we’d just get killed. The police can handle it, so let’s leave this to the pros.
Hey, we can pick up more fares near those government agencies if they’re gonna get busy. But I’m not sure they can catch those Phantom Thieves. They can just make you go brain dead, easy.

(Beautiful Maid) I hear the girls at my café saying “Akechi-kun, save me!” all the time. Everyone sure likes him now. He used to be really unpopular, didn’t he? The whole internet was flaming him for a while.
Hey, people always switch sides! We gotta cheer on the good guys, whoever they are!
…Ugh.

(Plump Man) Oh yeah, that video where they’re getting stopped by the police? I laughed so hard at that!
Akechi was right… Only fools would say the Phantom Thieves stand for justice.
…Hey, didn’t you like the Phantom Thieves? Ah, and Akechi’s gone now too.

(Troubled Woman) Please, can you stop? You made a profit. Isn’t that enough?
No, not yet! We have to wait until it doubles in value! Yes, this country will change! Our celebrolution has only just begun!

We’re going to head back to the school library and pick up a book. We don’t need the points, and there’s no real reason to engage with these otherwise (well, maybe there’s a Thieves’ Den reward, but that’s inconsequential), but I still want to show the new ones off.

As you can see, there is now “Dressed in Ashes,” a reference to Kasumi’s Persona Cendrillon (or, of course, Cinderella).

I could probably have made this a lot simpler for myself and just picked up Dressed in Ashes, but I choose to grab Woman in the Dark first to do them in order for some reason. Whatever.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

The cold season means the sweet potato vendor’s in town. Neato! Let’s buy exactly one, because that’s all he’ll sell to us!

Thanks a lot.

(DJ) Today we want you to tell us what you want the government to do. Do you think there will be a new administration? Let us know what you think!
Who cares? It’s not like anything will change…

And next time, we’ll be heading into the Palace.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 6, 2024

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That sure was a conversation with Maruki.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sharp Lawyer is a good egg, I always appreciate his input.

and Haru is right as always, Yusuke and Futaba really do get along. They have that sibling chemistry :3:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Maruki are you okay

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Maruki sounds like a character out of a ProZD skit

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
the Man with Clear Eyes confuses me. Is the idiom different in Japan? I'd have though someone with "clear eyes" would clearly see that the "Sun God" is full of poo poo.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Sounds like Maruki doubled up on his meds this morning by mistake, happens to all of us.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 174: 11/10: Red Light District

This update covers content from Parts 142-144 of the original LP.

There’s technically new stuff in this update but it’s all basic layout changes or Will Seeds. Lame! Not counting that poo poo!

Well, let’s head into the Palace.

Music: The Whims of Fate

We’re actually going to ignore the alarm, at least for right now. We’ll take care of it in a bit.

Music: Have a Short Rest

As before, we’ll have Fox duplicate a card for us.

We’ll need a member’s card.
But whe—
In the back rooms.
Why there?
I’ll explain later.
He’s totally guessing…

Now, time to go through the enemy encounters. We’ve got Unicorn here, weak to Curse, nullifies Ice and Bless, strong against Psychokinesis. Uses Physical and Bless.

And here we’ve got two Oses and a Kikuri-Hime. Ose is weak to Bless, nullifies Curse and Gun, and is strong against Fire. It has Oni-Kagura, a Physical skill that inflicts Rage, and Reverse Rub which also inflicts Rage. Likewise, it has Counterstrike, so you might attack it and blow yourself up in the process. Lastly, it can Charge up.

The other enemy is Kikuri-Hime, which is weak to Fire, nulls Wind, and is strong against Bless. All it has are healing skills.

Noir learns Climate Decorum, which doubles her Evasion against everything during Rain/Pollen/Flu Season. This is a really good skill in really specific circumstances, but unfortunately, Noir learns too much good poo poo, to the point we’re gonna have to get rid of a lot of her other good poo poo. We’ll slot it in to replace Makarakarn, but it’s not long for this build.

These are Powers. They resist Wind, nullify Bless, and are weak to Curse. According to this table I’m looking at they also take 20% damage from Almighty? Is that right? Wow. Doesn’t really matter, they have basically no health. Anyway, they use Physical and Bless.

Well, it’s empty. Looks like you were wrong, genius.
There’s more than just this room, you know.
…Oh! Were you looking for a customer data terminal?
How astute of you. Yes, I was.
Then leave it to me when we find it!

This is a Valkyrie. I am going to spend most of this Palace visit trying to get one! I will fail like four times before finally succeeding! Nulls Bless, repels Ice, resists Gun, weak to Fire. It uses Physical and that’s it besides a counter passive.

Fox learns Masukukaja, which will replace Sukukaja.

Similarly, Queen will learn Marakukaja to replace Rakukaja. Marakukaja is kind of redundant on Queen because of her Vault Guardian accessory, but I’ll figure out what to do about that eventually.

Futaba’s Treasure Reboot looks like this. Most Palaces aren’t exactly heavy on backtracking, so this is mostly worthless. This might actually be the most backtrack-heavy Palace, and it really isn’t very heavy on it at all.

Music: Have a Short Rest

Ah, I suppose my fans could very well do that.

Well, let’s head inside and take care of that alarm.

Music: Aria of the Soul

We’ll fuse Skadi from Dakini and Jatayu. We’ll need 47488 yen to fuse above our level, though.

I have come from the darkness within your heart to bestow power upon you… Now, take my mask…

Skadi is the embodiment of winter in Norse mythology, a giantess that all gods will return to at the end of Ragnarok. She is also referred to as the “snowshoe goddess.” The reason she’s black from head-to-toe in Kazuma Kaneko’s initial rendering of Skadi for Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (a design recycled for this game) seems to have been a research error in her initial design phase. See, Barbara G. Walker authored The Woman’s Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets in 1983, containing a description of Skadi as a Celtic goddess associated with darkness (equivalent to the Irish deity Scathach). However, this description and many others from the same encyclopedia were later dismissed as unreliable. The Japanese in-game descriptions of Skadi continue to reference the encyclopedia, even though the English localized descriptions tend to correctly attribute the deity’s true origin (My source for all of that is the Megaten wiki, if you’re interested in learning more).

Looks like Deadly Fury, Evil Smile, and Diarahan want to change. I’ll keep them as they are.

Next up, let’s sacrifice Ose to make Koumokuten stronger.

Wow, we got both Counterstrike and Oni-Kagura due to the alarm.

Next up, we’ll use Ananta to get an accessory that’ll let us cast Freidyne.

Finally, just because I feel like getting the most out of this, we’ll put Barong in Lockdown and use some Ambergris MA on it.

That’ll do it for this alarm, though. Let’s head back.

There’s a Shadow guardin’ the stairs!
We should approach with caution. We might even be able to circumvent it entirely.
It’s a normal Shadow, Queen. I doubt it’s a real threat. But if you insist, we can go around, I guess.

A wise decision. Let us find another path.
Yeah, we shouldn’t take any unnecessary risks.
You guys are so dramatic.

Literally one fight after resolving the previous alarm, we are accosted by a notice that another alarm has gone off. I’ll be keeping track of how frequently the alarm sounds in this update due to Celestial Reading. Spoiler alert: very.

We can climb up to get around the Shadow guarding the stairs.

Good job, Joker! We outsmarted it!
Great work!
Okay, you know what?

I’m sick of this. We’re fighting that guy.
Joker, no!

We kill them before they even get to act.

That was dangerous! Think before you act next time!
It was fine this time, but you need to be more careful, or we’ll all pay the price for your hubris.
…Are they always like this?
Oh, you wouldn’t believe how needy these idiots get.

Oh look, a keycard. Wonder if this’ll come in handy.

Enemies guarding a door, and a side route blocked off by a keycard reader… (overdramatically) Hey, I wonder if this keycard we got off that enemy will be useful here!
Oh no…
He’s going to get smug, isn’t he?
We get it, you were right, let’s just move on.
NEVER DOUBT ME.
Did you know that guy would drop that card?
Not at all, I just believe in fighting every enemy I come across. Need those gains!
Then, are we going to fight those two in front of the door…?
What? No. There’s two of them. I’m not *stupid.*

Let’s fight the guard and get to work, then.

The enemy in this case is a Ganesha. Weak to Psychokinesis, absorbs Wind, resists Physical and Gun.

Well… it’s not that resistant to Gun. It has Dodge Psy, some Physical moves, and Rebellion to up its crit rate. Not a real problem either way.

Skull learns Elec Boost, which replaces Headbutt.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of—this joke sucks, you know it, I know it, let’s agree to forget it ever happened

This appears to be what we’ve been looking for. However, they are useless without names on them. We need to register them.
Gimme gimme!

Okay, I registered it.
Okay, let’s move on.
Wait. What name did you give it?
…Stacey Fakename.
That’s… a little obvious, isn’t it?
They’ll figure that out for sure!
I panicked, okay! Besides, they already know what we look like… But fiiiiine, I’ll do another one. How about… Albert Ias? Sue Deauxnim? S. O. Briquet?
These aren’t much better…
Yeah, sure, that last one. Whatever.
Pleased to meet you, Miss Briquet.
Hehe… Anyway, Crow, you’re on garbage duty. Throw out the Stacey Fakename card, will you?
Right… I’ll take care of that. Hm…
Let’s head back to the elevator!

In our next fight, we come across a Treasure Demon called an Orlov. It resists Physical and Gun and is weak to Curse.

So, it might be a little hard to see because it’s dark red on black, but upon checking the map here I notice I have left a previous section of the staff area unexplored. No points for guessing what’s over there. We’ll have to backtrack a bit.

Yep, a Will Seed is over there. Let’s get it.

Oracle learns Subrecover SP, so our reserve fighters can recover SP now.

There’s actually a security gate before this Will Seed that requires the security keycard we picked up off that enemy earlier, so it would have required some minor backtracking anyway.

Nothing else happens on the way back to the safe room in the main hall.

There is still an alarm active, but we’ll take care of that when we get to the next floor, since there’s another safe room just ahead.

Let’s go to the manager’s office then!
(Mechanical Voice) You can’t, idiots. Here or the member’s floor are your options.
It seems we’re not a high enough rank to go anywhere but the member’s floor.
Don’t ask me to hack this either. It seems hard and I don’t want to.
Nevertheless, we should head upwards. There might be a way to progress further there.
Then to the member’s floor it is!

Music: Desire

Hey, you guys wanna just fight her right now and get this over with?
Skull, no! We’re not animals. There’s a ceremony we have to follow here.
That “ceremony” is usually just us gettin’ jerked around for hours though!
He has a point…
Impudent brats… Know your place. I am this casino’s manager *and* its number one player.
I don’t think it’s legal to gamble at your own casino. That seems like it probably shouldn’t be allowed.
The point is, you aren’t worth the time it would take me to swat you insects.
So how might we earn the privilege of a battle with you?
Simple. You must do what I did to earn this position in the first place: win. I’ll be waiting… but you won’t succeed. *snaps fingers*

Where’d she go!?
Where’d she go last time? She’s obviously in the elevator again, genius.

The elevator ascends.

Previous Palace rulers were more straightforward than this. She’s scheming instead of trying to overwhelm us with brute force…
Do we really have time to spend gambling?
Does anyone here have experience with this?
This kind of gambling isn’t even legal in this country, Panther. All we have are pachinko machines, which are *totally different.* Also horse races, I guess?
Don’t worry. I have a plan to circumvent these games of chance. I know how to win just like Sae-san, after all.
Oh, I see! We’re going to cheat! A man after my own heart.
I’ll ignore that. But we should act quickly, for Sae-san’s sake. Her reputation as a prosecutor might not survive if we delay. Queen, do you know how she ended up like this?
It wasn’t always this way. She must have lost her sense of justice after my father’s death. She had to deal with it all on her own… She had to earn, get promoted, uphold justice, deal with sexism, deal with *more* sexism… All that must have led to… this.
Apologies, but we don’t have time to be getting sentimental. We must make haste.
You’re the one who asked!

Why, we’re going to play the casino and win, of course! Once we gain a high enough player rank, we’ll surely be allowed onto a higher floor.

Okay, now let’s head over to the Velvet Room.

This time, we’ll be fusing Pale Rider from Power and Skadi.

Your mask shall be imbued with the power to bring forth deadly curses from the underworld.

Pale Rider is Death, the fourth and final of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Not much else to say about that one, really.

Ghastly Wail is gonna change!

I’ll allow it.

And here’s the final Persona.

We’re then going to turn around and immediately put that Pale Rider in the Electric Chair for an accessory that gives Maeigaon. Now, I have forgotten here that you get weird results when you use a fusion result Persona in another ritual during an alarm. So, what do you think’ll happen here?

Gun Boost. Eh.

That ended the alarm, but we’re going to head back in because we weren’t done. We’ll now make a Sarasvati from Koumokuten and Bugs.

The melody of the heart… It shall become your mask and be with you…

Sarasvati is the Hindu goddess of rivers and patron of speech, writing, learning, the arts, and sciences. Her husband is Brahma, the god of creation.

Okay, let’s get back to it.

Take these welcoming chips!

This gift must be a show of confidence from Sae-san.
You can trade 50,000 chips for a member’s card to get onto the high limit floor. You can also borrow chips, up to your current total. Understood? Splendid. Now get the gently caress out of my sight.
…So these games are gonna be rigged, right?
Most definitely.
Absolutely.
Defendants almost never win in the Japanese legal system, after all, and this casino reflects that truth. We’ll have to find a way to counteract her cheating.

We start in the dice game area.

I lose two games of guessing if the number will be between 3 and 10 or 11 and 18, because it’s rigged. I think you have to lose three games before they just tell you to stop, but they don’t actually force that outcome, so you can just sneak into the back area and change the results now.

Let’s find whatever they’re using to rig these games!

We find a new weapon for Queen.

Crow learns Attack Master, which gives him an automatic Attack buff at the start of battles. We replace the outdated Kouga with this new skill.

Another alarm! This time it took TWO fights to proc!

There’s a new route we can grapple to here that has a couple of strong Shadows. The good news is that once we fight them, we’ll skip to near the end of the backroom section. …Wait, actually, that’s bad, because I’m gonna have to backtrack through the stuff I skipped anyway looking for Will Seeds!

The strong Shadows are Skadis, which we fused earlier in this update. The main thing to watch out for with them is their use of Fear followed by Ghastly Wail to instakill anyone with that ailment.

Mona learns Diarahan, which will replace Diarama. Finally, a full heal.

I run into another Valkyrie, and in my attempt to convince it to join me I fire a Warning Shot. The first one causes it to attack me, so I knock it down again, and the second Warning Shot causes it to flee. Bad luck, I suppose.

Later, I spend like five full loving minutes looking for the entrance to this room, missing the obvious vent in a nearby hallway that leads straight into it.

These enemies have been hit with Fear thanks to Chaînés Hook, so because we read that book expanding the Technical conditions, we can knock them down just by hitting them with Ice. That said, upon reviewing this footage it appears that it also affects the Technical conditions for enemies as well, because in one of those Skadi fights Joker got a Technical after getting hit with Mabufudyne while afraid. Something to watch out for, I guess.

Panther learns Burn Boost, which we’ll slot in to replace Fire Break.

Queen learns Freidyne, which will replace Freila.

Okay, time to take out the cheaters! And then start cheating ourselves!

All right, let’s kill this dude.

Yeah, we obliterate this guy.

We should stop the rigging.
Actually… what if *we* cheated instead?
Genius! I’m in.
This feels somewhat…
God, you don’t let me have *any* fun!It’s not even real! Lighten up!
Oh, fine…

We’re running a special high-stakes game at the moment! The buy-in is 125 coins, while the payout for triple sixes is five times that! Care to play?
No, I care to *win.*
Oh, brother…

And then we exhaust all four of our plays on this table.

We’re still not close to enough though… Hm… Skull, come with me. I need someone of your… specific talents.
Uh… okay! Why don’t you guys ever praise me like that?
Earn it first.
Ouch…

Where did those two go, anyway?

Sorry about the wait.

He had me luggin’ these around! “Talents” my rear end!

Now, let’s try our hand at the slot machine area.

First, though, let’s head back over to the Velvet Room…

Orlov and Byakko make Raja Naga.

It’s above our level though, so we need to pay in.

The power of my clan has now been imbued into your mask!

Raja Naga (or alternatively, Nagaraja) are the kings of naga from Hindu mythology. That’s about it, from what I can tell.

Let’s not have Ziodyne, Mabufula, and Counterstrike change.

We also fix our mistake from the last Velvet Room sojourn and make Pale Rider into a Spiral Hex Ring.

Now, let’s head back.

Now, please die!

That’s not very welcoming…
Getting some mixed messages here…

I keep starting these fights by having Yusuke Charge and every time we kill the enemy well before his next turn.

Hey, why didn’t any of these guests care about that fight?
Because Sae-san sees her peers as fundamentally selfish. Now, let’s move on.

Before I continue, I turn around and buy the Soma and Bead Chain from the dealer on this floor. Almost forgot!

They’re all likely rigged again. We shouldn’t bother with these anyway though. The higher-limit slots are probably further in the back. Let’s keep moving.

Let’s keep moving past the bunny girl Shadows with ridiculous proportions…

Another alarm after another two fights.

Oh hey, our second Will Seed.

You think it’s th—
It’s the big one, yes.

Noir learns Psiodyne to replace Psio.

If we get a 777, that’s 50,000 coins! That’s all we need!
Let’s get to un-rigging this thing then!

Hmm… Need to find a red terminal and a green terminal to finish this. They should be somewhere in this area.
Can you be more specific?
No.

We equip the Spiral Hex Ring we just made onto Noir, as it’s a straight upgrade over what she was wearing before.

The red terminal is near the entrance to the slot area.

Okay, that’s one.

The green terminal, meanwhile, is in the back area.

I trust that you can rig this one in our favor too?
Yeah, okay. But just so you know, this won’t be foolproof. It’s got about a 20% chance of failing entirely.
So it’ll fail two times out of ten?
It’ll work out, don’t worry.
What makes you so sure?
Because it would be really inconvenient if it didn’t.

I equip Mona with the Reactor Ring here. It doesn’t really matter, we’re not likely to use him for the rest of this Palace, but this is just for transparency’s sake.

Fox learns Bufudyne, which will replace Bufula.

Welp, fingers crossed, I guess.

It worked!
I’m not carrying these.
That’s quite alright. They’re just for show. They’ve already been added to our card.
Then why was I pushin’ the first batch on a cart!?
Let’s go exchange these!

And we can acquire the High Limit Card now.

Before we head over to the elevator, a Shadow is there to greet us.

Music: Blood of Villain

Not really, it was pretty basic honestly.
It doesn’t matter. The rules of this casino state that I always win! You cannot beat me with petty chicanery!
Sae-san is at her wits’ end, it seems…
I’m sick of looking at you. Time to die.

Eh, if it goes anything like the last eight guys you sent after us, I doubt it.

It goes exactly like those guys.

Criminal trials are but a gamble to be won, and us prosecutors arrange the gambling table. Hence, lossses are unacceptable! We must win, even if it has to be on false charges!
Are you serious, Sis!?

Anyway, I dare you to make it to the manager’s floor. You won’t though. Bye.
Her heart is more distorted than I had feared…
We have to stop her!
Yeah. Let’s head up.

We’re getting closer! This is probably the last level before the manager’s floor.

No. This is the high limit floor, and you don’t have a reservation.
We must need to meet some kind of requirement to access this floor.
Yeah, he just said we need a reservation. Yes, hello sir, I’d like to steal someone else’s…
I’m afraid I can’t allow that. You need a reservation.
Well, I’ve done all I can do.
Maybe it’s related to my sister’s cognition… If this is the courthouse, then maybe this is…
The courtroom. So, if Sae thinks of us as “allowed” to enter, we should be able to pass this barrier.
So we just need to attend a trial, correct?
Can we even do that?
Ooh! Ooh! I learned in class the other day that you can attend a trial at any age!
How bizarrely relevant… but it is accurate. It shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll use my connections to find out which trials Sae-san will be prosecuting and we can have her witness us there. I’m afraid that this will have to be the extent of our infiltration for today, though.

Back into the Velvet Room, then!

The last thing we’ll be doing in this update is fusing Mishaguji from Valkyrie and Koumokuten.

Now that you possess my mask, I shall bestow upon you the power of nature.

Mishaguji is a weird little fellow, ain’t he? Well, the official background of Mishaguji from this game reads: “An indigenous god of the Shinano region from before the forces of Yamato occupied the land. Said to be born from the belief that divine spirits dwelled in rocks and stones.” That description elides that worship of them was declared taboo, that they were the god of sexual intercourse, and that their incarnation on Earth was explicitly phallic. They removed all the interesting bits from that!

I’ll let Counterstrike change.

And this is the final Persona.

That’s gonna be all for now because this one was complete hell to work on. Very dense with bullshit conversations, and none of them mattered. I probably could have cut 80% of the actual Palace. Farewell.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 18, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I didn't notice in the first LP, but the graffiti in these areas... kinda sucks? Like, these are 5th grader notebook doodles.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

I didn't notice in the first LP, but the graffiti in these areas... kinda sucks? Like, these are 5th grader notebook doodles.

I'm sure they're much cooler to people who don't understand English.

Or perhaps since it's Sae's palace, even her dark side's too lame to make good graffiti.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, that's a sperm demon. They didn't put it in the text, but the game still tells you what they are.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
Stacy Fakename... is that at all related to Joanna Fakename?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
in raidou 2, mishaguji is one of two demons with access to the skill 'cursed emission'. it's a slow-moving, milky-white homing almighty projectile that can also inflict charm. you'll never guess who the other one is

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of—this joke sucks, you know it, I know it, let’s agree to forget it ever happened

That is a deep cut.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

Skadi is the embodiment of winter in Norse mythology, a giantess that all gods will return to at the end of Ragnarok. She is also referred to as the “snowshoe goddess.” The reason she’s black from head-to-toe in Kazuma Kaneko’s initial rendering of Skadi for Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (a design recycled for this game) seems to have been a research error in her initial design phase. See, Barbara G. Walker authored The Woman’s Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets in 1983, containing a description of Skadi as a Celtic goddess associated with darkness (equivalent to the Irish deity Scathach). However, this description and many others from the same encyclopedia were later dismissed as unreliable.

So that's probably why they were linked in Fate/Grand Order, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arist posted:

Will I have to sleep for a year to forget?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 175: 11/10-11/11: Hitting the Break (New)

This update covers content from Part 144 of the original LP.

We’re going to head back into the Velvet Room for a sec. Nothing major, I just want to finally show something off, since we’re at about the right level for it.

So, as part of the challenge battles added in Royal, there are two special battles: “FULL MOON” and “FOGGY DAY”, which are fights against the protagonists of Persona 3 and Persona 4 respectively. I’ve already brought these battles up briefly, but that was multiple years ago now, so I’m doing it again.

Today, we’ll be attempting FULL MOON for two reasons: First, we’ve already hit Level 50, and hey! It says it’s a Level 50 challenge! Second, Persona 3 Reload came out a few weeks ago and this seems like a good tie-in.

As usual, the lowest prize is a sellable item, the middle prize is a skill card, and the top prize is an accessory that gives a skill. The Adhanari Band gives Blazing Hell to the wearer, which is a skill that deals Severe Fire Damage to all foes. You might remember it as Panther’s final learnable skill. Actually, you probably don’t, because we never used it in the original LP. :v:

So, for scoring, we get a 5x multiplier for Bless attacks, a 4x multiplier for Mona attacks, and if Joker deals the finishing blow we get a 10x multiplier for that attack. We also get 25k extra points if we win within twenty actions. That’s… not a lot for a boss. Let’s give this a try, though.

Music: Mass Destruction

Who the heck is this guy!?

Never mind, just don’t lose! I’ll do everything I can to help!

So, I say we’re at the right level for this, but we’re not actually going to win here by any means. The suggested level was a loose loving suggestion and the only way to pull this one off is to exploit some bullshit I don’t feel like messing with right now.

“S.E.E.S. Boy,” as they’re calling him here, has 10,000 HP, but that’s not actually enough to defeat him, because he also has Endure, allowing him to survive a KO with 1 HP. By the way, in case you’re thinking “you already have 1,442 points, surely you can take him down, that’s a tenth of his life already”, that point total is from using Bless and Mona to attack, so the multipliers were in effect.

He’ll start by using Orpheus to cast Maragidyne. Fox is unfortunately weak to Fire, so he’s going to score a One More.

Also worth noting: yes, they did get Yuri Lowenthal back for these voice lines.

With Orpheus active, he’ll use that One More to cast Heat Riser.

On his next turn he uses Magarudyne courtesy of Attis…

…Which is just going to kill us.

However, I’d like to try one more time. Let’s see if we can at least outlast those 20 turns, all right?

Orpheus is weak to Electricity and Curse, so I use Maeigaon to knock him down. For the record, Attis is also weak to Curse.

After Attis comes Siegfried with Vorpal Blade. Siegfried is weak to Nuclear and nulls Physical, which is a problem for Fox because I have him using Charge.

His last Persona is Thanatos, naturally, using Maeigaon. He’ll rotate through those four Personas in order. If he gets a One More, he’ll use Heat Riser with Orpheus, a melee attack for some reason with Attis or Siegfried, and Mudoon with Thanatos. Thanatos is also weak to Bless, so it’s potentially a good idea to get your Bless damage in now for the multiplier.

I waste at least one Charged Deadly Fury on S.E.E.S. Boy while he had Siegfried active, dealing no damage, but this one strikes true at least. Does okay damage, too.

At this point, I have effectively given up because my entire party is dead, but on his second go with Attis and Siegfried, he’ll use Maziodyne and Concentrate. Something big’s coming when Thanatos comes around again…

Door of Hades…?

Okay, this is going to require a bit of an explanation. Door of Hades is an exclusive skill of Thanatos in this game. It is a Heavy Almighty attack dealt to all foes, coupled with a medium chance of a Curse instant kill. As you can see from the shattered HP heart and the Homunculus sacrifice (the Homunculus being an item that automatically protects the protagonist from an instant kill), we actually died to both of those. Bad luck, I guess. But yeah, that fight was no joke. We really aren’t ready for that one. And that’s not even the worst version of that fight! There’s also a Level ??? version for maxed-out characters that adds even more bullshit!

The worst part is that the Homunculus that was used automatically in that fight won’t come back, so I guess I’m reloading! Don’t worry, I saved after the fusion I did at the end of the last update.

Now returning to the real world from Niijima’s Palace. Thank you for your hard work.

Music: Triumph

It seems we have a solid overall understanding of this place. I assume this is simple for you? Either way, please let me know when we are meeting next. I will be eagerly awaiting your call.

After School → Evening

>That didn’t take long. Good work, team!

I’m surprised she’s taking part in court at a time like this… She must be busy with the Phantom Thieves investigation as well…
She is a public prosecutor, after all.

So, tomorrow it is, then.
Yes. We’ll meet on-site after school.

After we go to the courtroom tomorrow, we should head straight into the Palace.

A: The prime minister./B: You in front of your TV. For viewers just tuning in, you’re watching, “Law Variety”! Now then, what’s your answer?

The correct answer is… B! You and me, we’re the ones running this country!

Cool! My first act is to dismantle the state!

(Lawyer) Article 1 of our Constitution states, “the Japanese people hold sovereignty.” The power is yours! I may get flak for saying but I think every single person has the power to change society.

All right, settle down Captain Planet. And why would you get flak for saying that? It’s exactly the kind of inoffensive liberal pablum the media spoonfeeds the populace constantly! I’m not even necessarily disagreeing with it, it’s just an extremely boring thing to say!

Oh, you got it right! So… what do you think? Do I count as a citizen?

No.

Music: My Homie

(Innocent Grade Schooler) What!? Why’d you change your mind all of a sudden? Isn’t it too late to do that now?
I have to make my parents pay for throwing away my stuff. So I made a bet with them. If I make it into a better school, then they have to buy me everything they threw out again.
Whoa, that’s so cool! It’s like what they say on the news! Evil people deserve to be punished!

Ugh, and what do they tell me? “Alert us sooner when you’re having trouble!” Quit trying to sound like a good boss! Like I’d need to lean on you for help! I can fix things myself. I don’t need some useless exec to interfere…

(Innocent-Looking Woman) Y-Yes! I know you’re just a rental boyfriend, but… I’ve honestly fallen in love with you. I know this is just supposed to be pseudo-romance, but… I can’t hold my feelings back anymore.
You know… I’ve always thought you were cute, too. Sure, I’ll be your real boyfriend. I want you to see me for who I truly am.
Really…? This is a dream come true! I found a coat that would look great on you. Do you want to come see? It’ll be my first gift to you as your girlfriend!

I can sense it just by looking at your face. The “death” aura is emitting a strange light… Please be careful.

I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Well then, what would you like to do today…?

Sit down so I can tell you about it!

Yes! Please go ahead!

Fortune Rank 9: Part 140

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

They didn’t really believe what I was saying at first, but the truth of the matter settled in eventually…

The executives are still brainwashed though… We’re going to try to get them all refunds and outpatient care.
Eh, you probably don’t need to trouble yourself. They’re executives, they deserve it.
I’m also going to give back all the money I made from selling Holy Stones. So… I want you to take this.

Sweet! Finally scored my refund! Guess all that time I put in buttering you up paid off! Well then, catch you on the flip side, I guess…
You’re leaving!?
Yeah? I got my money…

Yokoda-san!? What are you all doing here!?

Someone forced you to make that apology to us, right!? Tell us it’s all a lie! The chairman was framed, wasn’t he!?
N-No. It was all true. All those Holy Stones and shooreh pippis… Everything the chairman told you was a lie meant to separate you from your money! I was complicit in his scam… so I had to come forward.
(Brooding Woman) Lalalalala I can’t hear yoooou!
(Grim-Faced Man) You! Punk! Did you force our beautiful Maiden to spread these lies?
What a reversal of fortune… I get my 100k back, and then I immediately get attacked by an angry mob…
You’re wrong! Be upset with me, if anyone!
If even our Maiden has abandoned us, we are fated to perish in agony…!
You can change that fate with willpower, though… Those stones I sold you were worthless, anyway…

B-But then, how are we supposed to avoid our fated misery…?
No… A curse is upon us…!
Maiden, please…!

Music: Alleycat

Oh, fer cryin’ out loud… Shut up! Y’all need to take responsibility for changin’ yer own darn fates and stop lookin’ to me fer the answers! All this divine power mumbo jumbo was justa loada crap meant to bilk you! Y’all have the power! Just keep yer heads up, cowpokes! The only reliable partner yer gonna find in this square dance is yerself!
Uh…
*ahem* I apologize, it appears my Kansai dialect slipped out for a moment there. But the words I spoke were true. Look at me… I thought I was destined to live only as a monster… but I found the strength to overturn that fate. That strength is all you need. Find it in your hearts! Try!
In our… hearts?
It’s partially my fault for suppressing that strength… but that’s why I need to show you the light!

Maiden…
No. I’m not your Maiden anymore. I’;m just Chihaya Mifune, the fortune teller who guides fate!

I wonder if they’ll be okay.
Not much more you can do for them now. They’ve gotta do this part themselves.

I know how they feel though. They want to cling onto the Holy Stones, just as I clung to my role as the Maiden. All any of us ever wanted was to be happy… to avoid our fates…

Well, we’ve pretty conclusively proven fate is bullshit, so I’m not too worried.
I’m sure they’ll get there. I’ll talk to them as many times as I need to… And when they do arrive at the truth… I’ll be there to help them recover. Just like you helped me overcome my status as a monster… or the Maiden. You saw the real me… Just Chihaya.
You’re giving me far too much credit. I saw a con artist.
You ever gonna get over that?
No.

I can sense a deep bond of trust from Chihaya…

By the way, Hamiru-san… has anyone told you you’re a bit nosy? I mean, normally someone wouldn’t think to involve themselves in such a strenuous ordeal.

I get that a lot, yeah.

S-So, um… There’s actually something I’ve been wondering for a while now… Is… fortune telling the only reason you come to see me? I-It’s not… is it?
I should choose my words carefully…

Hamiru-san… Why do you come here?

Well, at first it was a calculated revenge plot, but the fortune-telling eventually became pretty useful, so mostly for that.
O-Oh… okay… I don’t really understand how getting your relationship fortune read every three days is that useful, but—wait, did you say “revenge”?
Welp, toodles!

There’s something I really wanted to tell you… You’re the reason I managed to talk to Yokoda-san and everyone. I plan on doing all I can to support everyone at the ADP for a while.

As Chihaya Mifune. Fortune teller and emissary of fate! …Whoops! I guess I sounded a little too full of myself just then.

So if you’re ever in trouble, remember you can always come to me. Okay?

– DELETED BY ADMIN –

Morning

*intercom chime*
(Woman’s Voice) (it’s Kawakami) Um… Mr. Inui, please come to the faculty office at once.
Oh? …I’m going to the faculty office, so make sure you take this time to study.

So, what’s the plan?

We’ll read Woman in the Dark.

This woman’s skills were quite amazing, but I can’t help but feel shocked by how brazen she was…

Goodness, there are so many ways to trick people. So many secret techniques and maneuvers… I’m sure you learned a bit more about the Proficiency you’ll need to smoothly get by in this world.

Maaku gains Proficiency +3.

Phew, that was close. Kawakami helped us get a good chunk of free time though!

Morning → After School

Music: Disquiet

So this is what the courtroom is like…
Just being here causes my body to tense up.

That’s a good feeling. We’re all gonna get real used to rooms just like this if we’re not successful, so keep it in mind.
How can Niijima-san think of this place as a casino, though? It’s so… sober.
Makoto’s sis is that lady over there, right? She’s overflowing with the aura of a capable woman.
Where are you getting weird lines like that from? No more periodicals for you.
Aww…
What’s this trial even about, anyway?
A politician who misappropriated government funds.
Ooh! I read about that in a maga—I mean, online! He went on vacation with his mistress to some fancy hot springs!
Don’t politicians get paid well enough to not have to mess with our drat tax money?
It’s about the power for people like that. They all think they’re invincible.
I sense you’re about to go off on one of your big rants, so I’m just gonna cut that off and say… poo poo.
Isn’t it odd that Niijima-san is attending this trial personally though? She must be extremely busy with our investigation…
She was likely assigned to this case first… Normally, someone would step in for her, but Sae-san is something of a perfectionist.
Will she even notice we’re here? Makoto, you told her we’d be coming, right?
I did message her about it, but I’m not sure she read it…
We’ll just have to wait for her to notice us. I’m sure it’ll happen eventually.

(to self) Hm? Is that Makoto? And… Akechi? And… a conspicuous number of other teenagers I don’t know? Makoto did mention she’d be attending for some reason. This is rather suspicious… but I don’t have time to think about that. Where could those Phantom Thieves be?
Huh, that was fast.
See? It worked.
All right, her cognition should have changed. Once the trial’s over, let’s head back over to the Palace!

Stay in the bag, dammit!

I understand Japan isn’t a nightmare country like America is, but are courtrooms really so lax in security you could sneak in a cat?

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 13, 2024

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Baby baby baby baby baby :getin:

Also, lmao at an instant death attack that consumes your revive and then still kills you anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 28, 2024

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Incidentally, the Japanese audio track for the DLC fights are actually reused from Persona Q2... which is interesting, because MC doesn't get Messiah in that game. Turns out, that bit of audio is actually still in Q2, just unused.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

(to self) Hm? Is that Makoto? And… Akechi? And… a conspicuous number of other teenagers I don’t know? Makoto did mention she’d be attending for some reason. This is rather suspicious… but I don’t have time to think about that. Where could those Phantom Thieves be?

Sae is supposed to see Morgana in order to allow him in as well, but he is clearly not seen by her in the courtroom

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Flair posted:

Sae is supposed to see Morgana in order to allow him in as well, but he is clearly not seen by her in the courtroom
My guess is that Ryuji's last comment is meant to be the (very flimsy) handwaving for that issue, in that Morgana probably poked his head out just enough that Sae could see him while Morgana was talking to the others.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Don't forget that Joker's bag also contains a pile of lockpicks, homemade explosives, toy weapons, and model guns that are textually described as extremely real-looking.

The cat is really the least objectionable thing in there.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

You can lose your homunculus in the loving challenge battles? Ain't that some poo poo?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

SoundwaveAU posted:

You can lose your homunculus in the loving challenge battles? Ain't that some poo poo?

I wish there were a toggle for homunculi usage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I remember trying that challenge battle back when I got the game and hit level 50 and wow that "recommended level" is complete horseshit. I guess if you use some incredibly specific combination of personas, skill cards, gear, and items you might be able to do it (I'm sure some Persona superfans have, just haven't bothered to look up strats) but 50 is way under any level your average player's gonna have to be to even beat that battle, much less get the points to get all the rewards. I didn't know about the ??? level refight though, it sounds like a nightmare.

Also I'm playing through Reload right now and I'm sorry P3 loyalists, I do not care for Mass Destruction at all.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the reload version of mass destruction is distinctly worse because of the frog noises in the instrumentation to be fair

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, original Mass Destruction blows the Reload version out of the water.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Every game has its bangers, but P3's for me is Battle for Everyone's Souls and Living with Determination than Mass Destruction.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Reload's 'It's Going Down Now' is the better P3 fight music at this point.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

P5R was my first Persona. When I put on the DLC Gekkoukan Uniform outfit, I thought it looked cool, but then heard the change to the battle music and immediately changed back, lol.

I was surprised to hear how much people in this forum love that song, so I just chalked it up as something I'm not meant to understand. That, or nostalgia.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 176: 11/11: The Numbers Don’t Lie

This update covers content from Part 145 of the original LP.

FFVII Rebirth has been utterly consuming my life recently, so not too sorry about the delay on this one! Let’s see if I still remember how to make these!

Well, let’s jump right back in.

Lacking any better ideas, we have Fox duplicate Kougaon.

Time to head up to the high limit floor.

Yeah, yeah. Doesn’t matter, let’s just get the next card or whatever.

Kind of an awkward use of “proverbial” there.

Here’s your welcome gift.

We receive another 1,000 coins.

I know what you want, and we don’t offer a card for the manager’s floor—
drat. Well, time to give up.
—Because that floor is actually right behind me.
I’m a little suspicious of them rolling out the red carpet for us… but we should still check it out.

You’re not my dad! But… okay.

A scale? Or… a bridge?
Whatever it is, it doesn’t seem like we’re getting past it like this. But that’s gotta be the manager’s floor on the other side!
We’ll clearly need to lower the bridge to cross. There might be a mechanism nearby to do so.
You mean that thing right next to us?

You need 100,000 coins to lower the Bridge of Judgment, dipshits.
That can’t be right!
It is.
She clearly doesn’t want us to proceed.
How’d you puzzle that one out?
Let’s not fret. This *is* the high limit floor. It should be possible to repeat our previous success, then double it.
Yes, there must be no shortage of high-risk, high-reward games here.
Let’s check the games on this floor.

Back in the main hall, we can climb this random ledge.

From there, we can grapple up on top of the elevator/chandelier/whatever.

And then we can drop down onto another ledge and find an air vent.

That vent leads us to, what else, the final Will Seed.

Hold on, Queen—I’m getting the feeling that this one’s gonna be a headache.

I do apologize, but this area is off-limits to guests. Please take your leave.

Oh, it’s no problem for the manager’s sister, though—YOU’RE the one who’s out of here!

Queen, you’re trying to exploit nepotism…

Music: Keeper of Lust

As usual, this is not a terribly notable fight. I know I say that a lot, but we’re nearing the bottom of this game’s difficulty curve. This game is easy, and we’re just too strong.

I will take the opportunity to show off President’s Insight, which lets the user deploy Concentrate on another party member.

Unfortunately, the Reviled Dictator resists Fire, so that ends up being a bit of a waste.

Anyway, we kill it.

Mona learns Garudyne, which we’ll naturally have replace Garula.

Weird that the Will Seeds say “X Jealousy Seed” but the crystal says “Crystal of Envy,” which reads more accurately as the deadly sin. Someone wasn’t on the same page there.

Anyway, in its incomplete form, the Crystal of Envy will let the user cast Masukukaja. Meh.

Let’s just head down to the House of Darkness and get this over with.

I’m already sick of this dude. Let’s kill him.
Sure.
I’m not here to fight, you all can relax. My role is to inform you of the rules for this game. In the House of Darkness, gamblers submit substitutes to navigate a maze on their behalf.
…It’s just us, though.
Huh! Weird! Guess you’ll just have to do it yourselves, then!
Don’t test me. I’m not really in the mood for this, I spent half my day yesterday trying to navigate this goddamned casino that appears to be 60% back hallways by volume.
It’ll be fine! We wouldn’t trust anyone else with this anyway!
Splendid! Now, the maze will cost you 1,000 coins, but you’ll win ten times that if you’re successful. Be careful, though, we’ve dimmed the lights a bit!
“Dimmed”?
Just a bit. You’re also free to head backwards or even leave if you so choose. Now, please enjoy your time here!
…It’s gonna be pitch-black in there, right?
It seems likely…
I mean, it’s called the “House of Darkness.” Just dimming the lights wouldn’t be much of an obstacle, either, unless the task was to get our dads to read a restaurant menu without their glasses. Whatever, let’s just go in.

How… entirely expected.
It’s okay, everyone. I have special eyes.

It’s nice of the Shadows here to turn on the lights whenever we enter combat.

Anyway, this is Rangda. We’ve had one of them before. They use Curse and Physical moves. They repel Physical and Gun, nullify Fire and Curse, and are weak to Electricity and Bless.

This is Norn, which we’ve also had before. It’s in our current “deck,” even! It uses Garudyne and Ziodyne, and can fully heal itself with Diarahan. It has no weaknesses, and it repels Electricity, drains Wind, and resists Bless. I really don’t know why I recount these affinities like anyone is actually reading them, sometimes it’s very mildly interesting like Rangda repelling Physical and Gun but most of the time it’s pointless.

Anyway, after that minor existential crisis, Skull learns Megaton Raid, which will replace Assault Dive.

Crow also learns Samarecarm, which will replace Fortify Spirit. Samarecarm isn’t a good skill, this isn’t Persona 3 where we can’t just buy full revive items, but Fortify Spirit also isn’t that good, so whatever.

Fusion alarm! Side note: these are the only screenshots I took of the inside of the House of Darkness (not counting the first one). It’s just not very interesting, you hold down L1 constantly to use Third Eye and you get turned around a million times trying not to miss any chests. It’s a bad segment and it’s good I’m largely skipping it.

Noir learns Gun Boost, which will replace Climate Decorum.

Done! That was relatively painless! For you, at least!

Safe room! You know what that means!

That’s right, it’s time to break the flow of the update by doing some fusion!

Athena and Mishaguji make Garuda.

I shall become your mask and raise your heart to the highest celestial plateau.

Garuda is a large bird or bird-like entity from both Hindu and Buddhist mythology. He fought the gods and is the mount of Vishnu.

Let’s not let these skills change.

That’ll do it for fusion, though.

Upon reviewing the old LP, the game seems to have cut a segment from the original Palace where this Shadow flees and throws down obstacles to block our progress. I’m glad they decided to make that edit, this poo poo is already way too long, even for one of the shorter Palaces.

It really wasn’t that hard. Just extremely annoying. poo poo maze, honestly.
You bastard! I worked really hard on this!

At some point, I’m going to have to stop mentioning every time I reject a dumb pun for being too thin/tortured/bad/what-have-you, because it just doesn’t seem like good LP practices even for me anymore… but I seriously took a look at this dude’s name and went “Snake King… *Sneak* King… Is there a Burger King joke here?” And the answer, dear readers, was no! That’s not anything!

Anyway, he dies.

To get his rear end kicked? Weird plan.
Think she meant the plan was to wear us out.
Oh. Well, that’s still not a very good plan. I’ve got a lot of coffee on me.
Let’s just head back to the lobby…

The high limit floor has exactly two attractions, so let’s head over to the other one.

Time for bloodsport!

You’ll need 10,000 coins to participate.
That’s quite the sum!
We just acquired that amount, in fact.
Very good. This is the Battle Arena, where you’ll fight to the death for our amusement! Spectators can also place bets on the outcome. All fights are one-on-one, amd you’ll need to find someone to compete on your behalf. Now, please deposit those coins with the teller to proceed. You can’t take it with you, after all!
We still do not have a substitute…
These craven morons are trying to gamble without risk… Makes me sick.

Yep! We’ll kick all their asses!
Hm? I believe my associate over there just informed you that all battles are one-on-one.
That did happen, yes.
I wasn’t paying attention…
The buy-in is 10,000 coins, but if you win, you’ll get 100,000.
That’s enough to get across the bridge…! We can’t afford to miss this.
It’s a trap, you realize.
Obviously. Now, who’s the lucky sucker who’s gonna have to do this?
Huh? It’s obviously you, dude.
I concur. You can use multiple Personas, after all.
It’s the only sensible option.
Huh? Wait! Let’s make Oracle do it! It’d be really funny!
She’d get smashed into paste, man…
You have a weird idea of comedy.
Fine, fine. I’m sure I have some combination of bullshit that’ll see me through this. Not like anything in this drat Palace has been an actual threat yet…
Excellent. We will also provide a complementary tombstone for your burial service. It’s branded with our casino’s logo!

Music: Keeper of Lust

The announcer here is voiced this time, and it’s Kyle Hebert doing a pretty funny “announcer who hates your loving guts” voice.

Odds are 1.1 to the house, 23.0 to the Phantom Thieves!

I’ll readily admit that this seems like a bad deal for the house. They clearly think I’m gonna get loving obliterated.

Now, let us begin our serious one-on-one battle! Bring out the first contestant!

There’s two of em!?
Goddammit, they’re cheating again. We really should have seen this coming…
Farewell, Joker.
I’ll still win, dick!

I don’t even need to tell you how this fight goes.

You know, that’s a little hard to say… I’m just going to call him the Phantom Dweeb from now on!

Weak.

All of you betting on the house, do not fret. The second round of contestants is arriving now!

How cowardly!
Hey! Shut the gently caress up! Now, die, Phantom Dweeb!

It is even easier than the previous round.

Grr, there’s no way in hell you’re getting away with this! Time for our final contestant!

Only one? Psh.

Go, grind his bones to dust! Let the extreme third battle begin!

Guess what.

Once again, justice prevails.

Oh, shove it with the “justice” crap…

Th-The payout will be handed over after this… Please wait…

You made it look effortless!
Only because it was. But please, continue praising me.
I’m pleased you did not perish.
Thanks, so am I.
I anticipated the cheating, but I had faith you would succeed.
…Whatever! Let’s go activate that bridge!

You need 100,000 coins to cross.
We got that! Now let us through!

(Familiar Voice) It seems you worked hard to gather that many coins…

Good effort. But it won’t be enough. Effective immediately, I’m raising the ante to 1 million coins!
That’s impossible though!
Yes, that’s the point. I cannot lose!
We’ll never be able to get that much…
This is a rough situation… Skull, think you might be able to Fastball Special Mona over to the other side of this gap?
No, but I’m willing to try!
GAH
Relax, there’s no problem at all. You said one million coins, correct? As it turns out, we already have that amount.

What.
Explain yourself.
It’s simple, really. I took the Stacey Fakename card and borrowed 10,000 coins after completing the maze, then bet all 20,000 on Joker in the arena. The odds were 23:1 against, so that paid out 460,000 coins. I then borrowed another 460,000 and paid off the original loan, leaving me with 910,000. So, we now have over one million in total across both cards.
Of course! …Wait, that makes no loving sense! When did you have time to do any of this? The math doesn’t even work!
We could sit here and argue about “logic” and “rationality,” but I recommend we lower the bridge now before Sae-san regains her composure and thinks to raise the fee again.
I’m really not too hot on the idea of bein’ in forever debt in this lady’s mind…

The logistics of this bridge spinning into place after enough weight is placed on the scale confuses and upsets me.

Whatever, I don’t care anymore. I’ll loving kill you all when it’s time.
Our route is secure. That’s all we needed to do here.
So the Treasure will take shape once we send the calling card… I wonder what it will look like…
Gonna say a briefcase.
Dude, come on, you’re giving it away…

Sis’ Treasure… it must be our father’s police notebook. She never really got over his death… To her, he died because the police used him. That’s why justice has become meaningless to her… It’s something that gets you taken advantage of. I see now why she became so obsessed with winning.
We must change her heart.

Now, let’s redeem all these prizes. The Addle Bangle gives Pulinpa, which is a skill that inflicts Confuse, and the Despair Charm gives Null Despair.

Back to the Velvet Room one last time.

We’ll be finally taking care of that last Strength request by fusing Seth, a special fusion from Isis, Anubis, Thoth, and Horus.

So you wish for the power to kill, even if others abhor you? In that case, I shall become your mask.

Uh… not exactly, Seth. The “History” blurb on the Megaten wiki for Seth is one of the longest I’ve ever seen for any demon in this series, so I’m just going to keep it brief by sticking to this game’s official “Background” bio: “The Egyptian god of the desert, chaos, and evil. He murdered his brother, Osiris, and tried to become chief god, but he was castrated by Osiris’ son, Horus."

Time to use this skill card, because I really can’t be hosed at this point to bother doing the proper fusion chain!

Strength Rank 10: Part 145

Oh, that’s it! That’s the Persona we asked for! You really made it!?

Yeah, sure, let’s go with that.
To be honest, given the usual quality of your work I’m surprised you managed this… but I suppose you’ve earned a compliment.
…Are you going to give me one?
No.
You have wildly surpassed our greatest expectations. We have no tasks left for you. As the ones who rule over power, our role is… ……
Hm? Justine?

Rule over… power? Why did I say that?

You need a minute? I can go, uh… sit quietly in the corner over there, I guess.

Unh… A voice is echoing… in my head!

Justine!
It is nothing… My head is just… Urgh! Memories are coming back to me… the one who wrote this list was… me… no, us…? I can’t make sense of this… What are we…? I must apologize for this shameful display, Inmate.
Don’t worry about it, Justine. This has happened to me too.
That’s… concerning. Maybe it’s some genetic thing? Actually, never mind, this seems pretty metaphysical in nature. I’ll shut up now.
Please do.
It is not his fault, Caroline.
You can be a real pain, Inmate… but I’ll allow it this time. Guess we’re going soft, huh?
I see… Caroline, are you too embarrassed to admit that the Inmate’s concern pleases you?

No!

Not really comfortable with whatever’s going on here… I’m just going to try to forget this ever happened.
Smart choice. Now, take this final ability we’re bestowing upon you! It’ll make you cry tears of joy from its splendor!

And, um, Inmate… There’s no doubt you’re a problem child. But honestly… we’re real impressed that you conquered all the trials we put forth.
You hold a surprisingly great potential.
So… fight. I’m sure you’ll be able to accomplish anything you put your mind to. And you’d better put a stop to the ruin, okay!?

I still don’t know what that is, but I’ll try!

Trickster… I believe in you. Prove to us that you can reach the truth.
We will be waiting for you, Maaku…

Music: The Spirit

So, the “awesome new ability” the twins have been mentioning for a while is VIP Treatment, which lowers the cost of using Special Treatment to fuse above our level. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very good, but by the time we get this, money just isn’t much of an issue in this game anymore, so it’s really just lowering the already-marginal cost of further trivializing the difficulty curve. Special Treatment also just has more of an impact on its own. Still, a very handy ability.

Be careful not to lose focus.
You’re still in rehabilitation till you can get out from behind the bars. Got that, Inmate!?

Music: Triumph

We’ve finally secured our route to the Treasure! All we need to do now is send the calling card.
I see… So this is how you go about arranging your operations. Hm. It feels as though I now have a much better understanding of why you have been so successful.

You sure about that, man? We were pretty clownshoes today. You did most of the actual thinking.
I was trying to be cordial…

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 16, 2024

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I like the little weakness blurbs (& related bits) in LPs because sometimes I go on to play the game being LPd and its like "oh wait i remember this..." or I have an easier reference point than digging out a wiki or video

Malah
May 18, 2015

I always appreciate the extra information, it's interesting (to me) to see how the affinities evolve over the game and which ones match thematically.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Thirding the sentiment. It's nice to understand the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 177: 11/11-11/12: And Now We Wait

After School → Evening

Arrest those Phantom Thieves already!
Should the Diet really be dissolving at a time like this!?

I think ideally the Diet wouldn’t have to dissolve at all!

Shouldn’t the safety of the citizens be the top priority?
How are we supposed to feel safe?

Anon: Record-breaking evil
— DELETED BY ADMIN —
Anon: no way they’re innocent
— DELETED BY ADMIN —
Anon: Death penalty! Execute!

That’s my secret, cat. I’m always tired.

Looks like we’ll manage to get it out before that investigation starts going down too.
We still don’t know anything about the true culprit behind the mental shutdowns though…

Maybe we’ll learn something from Niijima-san’s Shadow.
It is unlikely. If she had any pertinent information, there wouldn’t be a warrant out on the Phantom Thieves.
Who could the culprit be…? Could it be someone we know?
We should be cautious. They could be closer than we think.
We shouldn’t mistrust those close to us or it will never end. Be that as it may, I will make this final calling card my magnum opus. Tell me when you’re ready, Maaku.

Mr. Shido’s new party, the “United Future,” sent a motion of non-confidence against the cabinet. It was approved by the majority vote, which then led to a dissolution of the House. An election is expected to be held before the yearend, and each party has already begun preparing.
Oh, sounds like there’s going to be an election. I wonder who’s going to win.

(Drunk Regular) Don’t worry about it. Can’t trust the ruling party anymore. Might as well let someone new take a shot.
Japan’s like a team of great players who don’t have a coach. It’s so strange—like people here don’t care about their own country…

(Sullen Office Worker) You never talk about politics. What’s gotten into you?
I saw this feature about all the recent incidents on TV. I realized we can’t rely on the ruling party. They’re the ones ruining Japan. They’re the reason why people like the Phantom Thieves run loose.
Would a shift in political power change anything? I can’t really imagine that happening…

You’re like, completely surrounded! Get your asses out before poo poo goes south!
(Reserved College Student) (still missing) There’s no way they’ll turn themselves in, not with all the charges they’re facing.
Pretty much pissed off all of Japan, huh? Must be scary, buuuddy!

(Adorable Woman) What, really!? Who? I wonder if we were friends…
Well, he always said he wanted to make our town better. It’s a real uphill battle, I hear, though.

Music: Crossroads

I don’t really mind it, but keep yourself in check, okay?

The public blames the Phantom Thieves for both incidents, but something doesn’t add up…

Do you have a minute…?

Devil Rank 9: Part 140

…I saw Kayo. She was so skinny, I barely recognized her, and she wouldn’t say a word. She had one of those mental shutdowns, I think they’re called…?
That sounds pretty rough. You two were close, weren’t you?
…Pretty close, yeah. Close enough that it hurt seeing her like that… I knew it would be bad, but I still wasn’t ready. Her doctor at the mental hospital said they found her collapsed in the street about a year ago. She had been wandering the coast without any belongings, so the director’s wife took her in.

…Is there any hope of recovery?
…All we can do is pray. Either way, Kayo is still a suspect, so bringing her back here would just put her in danger again…
So we’ll never know what happened with that bureaucrat?

Not quite. Her hairclip was actually a miniature camera, and I was able to retrieve it when I visited her. She said she had something big, and she wasn’t lying.
Don’t keep us in suspense! What happened!?
It was a recording of one of the bureaucrat’s secret meetings. The other party must’ve been the one behind the slush fund. They were one of Shido’s confidants.
That name sounds vaguely familiar…
Isn’t Shido that politician? He was on the news this evening because he’s forming a new party.
Oh, he’s a politician? Then I no longer care. Politicians are all corrupt. Except for Yoshida, I guess. Anyway, I must’ve heard his name on the news tonight, yeah.
How did you already forget that?
My mind is a sieve, and I actively do not give a poo poo about Shimura or whoever we were talking about. Nothing to do with me!
*ahem* If you two are done, I’ll continue. That confidant was definitely blackmailing the bureaucrat, and killed him for not paying up. Kayo must’ve escaped but ended up with a mental shutdown after that somehow…
Goddammit, Akechi…
They must’ve been confident it couldn’t be traced back to them, which is why she’s still alive… They underestimated her.
That’ll be a huge story if you’re right!
Unfortunately, it’s just a story right now. All I’ve got is this video, and it doesn’t prove much on its own. And it’s not like Kayo can testify in her condition… There’s just no way to corroborate this. They’d crush me if I tried to take them on like this…
So you’re giving up?
Of course not, you little poo poo! I just need to prepare first! It might take a while, though… But I’ve resigned myself to a long fight anyhow. To avenge Kayo, at least… I’ll get the evidence to prove her innocence! But, that’s the end of our deal, kid. You shouldn’t stick around after this. It’ll be too dangerous. They won’t think twice about taking all three of us down, so we should part ways here.
Wait, I’m suddenly involved in this…?
Of course you are, Lala-chan!
I’ve stuck around this long, haven’t I? I’m here because I want to help. And also because I pity your brazen alcoholism. But mostly the first thing.
Huh… Brass balls on this kid! I’m impressed…
Just let him help, Ichiko-chan. No one else is gonna be as patient with you as him. Right, kid? You’re not scared of what’s ahead?
Well, maybe a li—
That’s the spirit!
Well, can’t say I didn’t warn you… but if you’re getting involved of your own free will, who am I to stop you? All right, this calls for a celebration! Lala, get out the good poo poo!
You can’t afford it. I’ll grab you the generic stuff. And an oolong tea for the kid.
Laaaaame!

I feel like my bond with Ohya is growing deeper…

I’ll go chill a bottle. Be back in a bit.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

…Okay, I can’t hold it back any longer, I’ve been dying to know: Were you and Kayo a thing?
Like, a couple? Oh, god yes. I assumed that was obvious.
Well, it wasn’t. I’ve been trying to figure that out for months. You’d think a woman as drunk as you would let more information slip…
Ha! When you imbibe as often as I do, you learn how to keep some things private! But why did you wanna know? Did you maybe have a crush on me?
gently caress no.
I was just teasing…

Anon: stop shitposting lol

Morning

No.

Have you ever heard a recording of your own voice? Were you surprised? That’s because when you hear your voice normally, you hear it through your bones. The voice you hear in a recording that makes you feel uncomfortable is unmistakably your own voice. Now then, Hamiru-kun. Has hearing someone’s voice over the phone ever felt strange to you? I wonder. Do you know why voices sound so different over the phone?

That’s correct. I’m surprised you knew the answer. The sound is synthetic… It’s practically not even their voice anymore. To transmit data, cell phones use a certain way of encoding your voice into digital information. And when your phone has to use that data to reassemble a voice, it can only do so much.

Oh? You think you’d be able to tell if you were hearing a computer talking? As long as the tone and intonation match, the listener’s brain fills in any other differences. Most of our communication is based on assumptions.
Yeah, my voice just sounds like meows to people who don’t know me. Geez… Assumptions are dangerous.

Morning → After School

(Calm Student) No way… Is someone getting arrested?
I have no idea. If someone’s getting arrested though, I hope the police take them away soon.
If the Phantom Thieves hear this, we might be in danger. I hope we don’t get dragged into this mess.

…My time here’s almost up. Soon we won’t be able to talk like this anymore.

Maruki isn’t available to hang. Maybe it’s for the best, he said a lotta weird poo poo last time.

(Intense Soccer Player) I think so. Just one event can make huge changes. That’s my take on it.
Oh yeah, and there’s the election at the end of the year. Maybe the whole world’s gonna change too.
I’m not really sure. We can’t vote yet, so all we can do is watch and see what happens.

(Kind Faculty Member) I suppose it’s because I want to exercise my right to do it. Then again, it’s not like my vote will change anything.
I guess what I want to know is why doesn’t everyone go? I guess not voting is like having a seat change in class while you’re away! I don’t think I’d like that.

It was inevitable for their party to disbamd. Still, I look forward to the rise of our next leader.
(Gentle Male Student) Are you talking about politics? They disbanded because of the Phantom Thieves, right?
(Lazy Male Student) I’m not interested in politics at all. I know this serious-looking guy is popular though.

It’s been pretty crazy out here. You’ve seen all the stuff about the Phantom Thieves on TV, right? I was thinkin’ I might come home. Nobody takes me seriously. Dunno if I have what it takes to be a star… Huh? What d’ya mean that ain’t rock n’ roll? Why you gettin’ mad about this? I thought long and hard, and…

I think I’ll get into politics. We women should take a more active role in our society!
(Middle-Aged Lady) Wh-What’s with all this? Did you just have a change of heart?
I’m gonna start volunterring at the election office. I bet there’s a lot of hot, energetic men there!
You never learn, do you…

(Rookie Station Attendant) I was scared, at first. I thought it was the Phantom Thieves, given the way they just collapsed. But I knew you wouldn’t sit idly by, Chief, so I leapt to action. They’re our guests, after all.
You’ve come a long way. I’m glad it turned out to be nothing serious. Regardless, I hope all this weirdness comes to an end soon.

(Stylish Male Student) Just a lot of fake stuff. Any mention of the Phantom Thieves always brings in the trolls.
They used to be so popular…
That’s old news. Of course people were upset after finding out they were murderers.

The ruling party disbanded, so our country and economy’s doomed! But I can stop all that. I hope.

Come on, buddy! Don’t be like that. I’m just looking out for your future… …Psh. Kid’s not buying it. I guess you’d have to be a real idiot to fall for that line.

Nooo! I don’t want my brains scrambled! Daddy! Daddy, help meeeeeee! Heh, playing Phantom Thieves at a time like this? They’re cowards who ran from the police. All I do is save money from idiots who’d waste it. Society ought to be grateful to me!

We didn’t get enough points with Ohya last night to advance, so let’s rectify that.

Unfortunately, that still won’t be enough.

Time to (not) send that calling card.

Let’s send that callin’ card ASAP!
…Wait. Sae-san isn’t one to buy in to the metaphysical. If we send the calling card now, she may doubt it.
So you’re saying…?
We should wait until just before the deadline to strike. If she’s been driven into a corner, her agitated psyche will be more vulnerable, maximizing the likelihood that the Treasure appears.
You sure that’s necessary, braniac? Kamoshida thought the whole thing was a prank and it still worked on him…
Madarame also had little reason to believe a change of heart would actually transpire…
Er… well… you see…
It’s fine, I’m sure it’ll work out. We trust you. *smiling innocently*
Right… Well then, if our time limit is the 20th… We should send the calling card on the 18th and steal the Treasure on the day after.
Let’s prepare as much as we can before then!

But I’m sure we can expect great things from Mr. Shido! Election day can’t come soon enough.
(Kind Old Woman) I don’t mind who wins, as long as I can live out the rest of my days in peace and quiet…

(Dog-Loving Girl) I hate Mommy and Daddy! I wanna be with Kotaro…
Will you stop!? Kotaro is an old dog! You can’t push him like that!
(Lazy Dog) *whine*
I hope the Phantom Thieves come! I hope they steal Mommy’s and Daddy’s hearts!

Let’s try to make up the point differential with Ohya by sending her a postcard.

…… I feel like I got a little closer with Ohya…

And that’s going to be enough points to progress with Ohya.

New crane game prize! Let’s snag it!

It took me this long to realize that the song that plays when you use the crane game is a rendition of the Junes theme from Persona 4.

Tower Rank 9: Part 138

It really happened! The Phantom Thieves changed my mom’s heart! My mom made my favorite dinner and broke down crying!
That’s… good?
She apologized for all the bad stuff she’s been doing and for getting so mad all the time… She said she’d be a better mother from now on.
I’m glad this ended well for you.
It’s all thanks to the Phantom Thieves… and you, of course! Hey, winning and losing don’t really matter, do they? My mom lost to the Phantom Thieves, after all… and that’s why she was able to change. Losing didn’t end anything! …Is it weird that I’m happy about that?
It means you’re growing up, Shinya. Good job.
Really? Well, it’s true I was acting like a little kid before… I still wanna get stronger so I can protect my mom… But that’s different than how I was acting. Winning and destroying others doesn’t make you strong, it’s about protecting people. You listed and helped me with my mom… You’re really cool… Thanks so much!
You’re welcome. But, uh, I didn’t really do much. Not a Phantom Thief, remember?
Right…

I can feel Shinya’s brotherly affection…

By the way, do you remember Takekuma? The pro who beat me? I heard more rumors that he uses illegal armor. I wonder why he’s cheating…

I think maybe he’s like you were… He needs to win at any cost.
Yeah, I think I get it… I might have cheated too if I had known how. But I’m not like that anymore!
That or he’s just a total loser! Maybe it’s even both! Who can say?

Okay, I’m gonna head home. Hey, Hamiru-san, are the Phantom Thieves… …Never mind! Bye!
Interacting with Shinya has made my heart grow… I feel like my Kindness has increased…

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Let’s play again sometime!

My mom and I have been eating meals together every day now. She’s a really good cook. She even made my favorite hamburger steak! I’m so glad she’s back to her old self! I’m so thankful for the Phantom Thieves!

Oh yeah, could I give you a message to pass along to the Phantom Thieves? Tell them… Thanks for changing my mom’s heart! I’ll become strong enough that I can protect her myself! …Okay?

Mooom, what’s for dinner?

After School → Evening

We’re going to keep blowing off Akechi’s invites for a while longer for no real reason, mainly just that it’s funny.

How will the Feathermen, slowly succumbing to avian influenza, get out of this one!? Next episode… “Broken Wings.”

Putting up that Lexy Doll we got today.

Music: Layer Cake

Well, it’ll make my job easier if the cops have their attention elsewhere, y’know? So, you’re here because you saw my message, right?

There’s somethin’ I gotta ask you to do. You’re free now, yeah?

…Kaoru wants to talk to you. Hold on; I’ll call him over.

I do not buy that Iwai would ever use a semicolon, sorry. Even in speech.

Hanged Man Rank 10: Part 144

Music: Sunset Bridge

Thanks again for last time! I learned a lot about myself, so… I just wanted to show my appreciation.

I just wish you didn’t have to find out that way, Kaoru…
Well, maybe you should have told me, then! If you had come out with it sooner, you wouldn’t have gotten threatened…
I just wanted to spare you that pain. Your past stays with you your whole life. My own parents were total losers, and because of them I got bullied by strangers for years…

My father isn’t a loser though! He’s a brilliant business owner.

Okay, let’s not say things we can’t take back. I have no idea how this place stays in business, I’m one of his two customers and the cops are constantly on his rear end.

Stop tryin’ to ruin the moment. *sigh* So in the end, I was just fightin’ my own demons… Stuck in my crappy childhood and all the problems I had growin’ up. My view of Kaoru was all distorted… ‘cause of my rotten childhood memories.
I forgive you.
Wow… You’ve really matured, huh?

Hey… why did you help my dad, anyway? He said you gathered info on Tsuda-san for him… You involved yourself in a yakuza dispute… Why would anyone normally take that kind of risk?
Well, for starters, I’m very stupid.
Ha, don’t be so humble! You’re like one of those Phantom Thieves, honestly… Nobly protecting the underdogs… They’re so cool!
Haha… Ha… Yeah… So cool…
We should go, Kaoru. The supermarket’s gonna close soon.

Oh crap! Please excuse me!

Sheesh. Kids grow up quick. They can be a pain in the rear end, but they’re worth it. … All right, let’s close up shop. Go pull down the shutter.

…Tsuda changed rather suddenly, huh? Seems like he had a change of heart, just like them people they’ve been talkin’ about on TV.
……
But who even knew about Tsuda? And who else did his change of heart save?
God *loving* dammit, *gently caress* my *loving* life, I am so bad at this! Ugh, I owe Ryuji an apology, my track record on this is so much worse than his at this point…
You okay over there? …Well, I wouldn’t worry about it. Whatever’s goin’ on here’s none of my concern. You’re Kaoru’s bro, after all. But I can’t believe I bought into that “enthusiast” BS. So… the Phantom Thieves are usin’ my guns to take down bad guys and help people in need…? *chuckle* Interestin’… Guess I gotta keep up my end of the bargain with that special menu. I don’t like owin’ people, so that’s how I’ll pay ya back. That’s how I can support you.

I feel a strong bond with Iwai…

Music: The Spirit

We can now customize our guns for free. This would be nice… if gun customization as an appreciable cost at all at this point in the game. It’s a few thousand yen at most, and we still have to pay for the guns themselves. Still, Iwai’s trying, let’s not hold this against him. He doesn’t know how much we’re raking in from Palaces.

Music: What’s Going On?

But, what the hell are you gonna do with a model gun? You need a real gun in a shootout. And the knives are just replicas. They’re even less useful than a butter knife, y’know?

Hey man, they just need to look real.
Then why are you buying slingshots with fire decals…?

…Haha, you’re such a weirdo.

Let’s just finish closing up shop. See you later, kid.

I feel like helping Iwai with his work has honed my Proficiency

Maaku gains Proficiency +2.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I love that Ohya's confidant just namedrops Shido as the heart of the conspiracy and has no time gate to keep you from getting that info early. Shadow what's-his-face is in the post-Kaneshiro layer of Mementos. I don't imagine there's anyone who would both beeline Ohya's confidant and has not figured out the obvious villain, but you could be having this conversation in, like, mid-July.