Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This app is really good. There were at least a few surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah it's amazing I've found tons of spots with it that I would have never known about

mystes
May 31, 2006

Has anyone used an Oru Lake?

I had a cheap inflatable kayak before and I got rid of it when I moved but I was thinking about maybe getting either another inflatable or folding one this spring but the Oru Lake is relatively cheap, light, and looks pretty simple to assemble (it seems like it would be faster than inflating a kayak once you're used to it) so it seems somewhat tempting.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I haven't paddled one but I did dick around w one in person, and it seemed...fine? They're a lot more attractive price wise than the older Oru models. One thing I prefer w soft inflatables compared to the foldables/drop stitch or even a real solid kayak is the stability, the cheaper inflatables are essentially untippable. What are your use cases? Single person, camping, dicking around on flat water, river trips, etc?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just dicking around on the water

A normal kayak would probably be better theoretically but I don't have a roof rack on my car or anything and I don't really have space to store one

Maybe I should just get another inflatable one but it seems like theoretically the Oru Lake might be faster to set up than an inflatable once I got used to it

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$177 Intex excursion pro 2 person (Amazon)
Surprisingly good inflatable kayak for the price. The only real step up from this is dropstitched.

$300 SereneLife 2 Person Inflatable Kayak (Amazon)
Absolute cheapest drop stitch kayak you will find. Comes with everything you need.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That 2nd one, the style of "Regular soft inflatable sides with drop stitch floor" is what I would recommend to anyone looking for a good general purpose portable boat. The rigid floor makes it perform much better speed and tracking wise than one with a soft floor, and the soft sides make it almost untippable unless you do it intentionally.

Sea Eagle makes good ones if you don't want the cheapest around, but Intex makes good stuff too. Idk about the quality of other brands but I imagine it's really not that different. Get what looks suitable for you!

E: also, is setup time really a limiting factor in your excursions? I know pumping up an inflatable is annoying but in all reality they only take about ~10 mins to set up. If you just don't wanna hand pump you can get car plug in or battery powered pumps to fill em

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 24, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I guess the drop stitch inflatable might make the most sense; is there a 1 person version of those?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Not of that particular brand. They make paddle boards and made these as like a one-off there's like zero information on the internet about them. Someone else would have to give you a recommendation on single person kayaks. I have very little experience with inflatable kayaks. And zero experience with single person kayaks.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

For a single person the Sea Eagle 300x Explorer suits the bill but I too an pretty much a tandem only user. Sea Eagle cost a bit more than the other brands so you might find something cheaper, but the razorlite I have from them is quite nice

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

I bought the intex excursion pro while it was on sale a few weeks ago. Seems to have jumped back up to almost $300 now. I had an intex challenger that I accidentally put a hole in trying to store in my garage. The excursion is light years more comfortable, tons of room and it got me back into fishing. I’d say around 10-15 mph wind is about all it can handle. I bought an anchor and post up near fallen trees to fish.

I’ve always wanted a kayak but the investment was way too high, inflatables are a great compromise. Check out this dude that bought an inflatable “houseboat”: https://youtu.be/0EHNESE2B88

He’s got a few other videos on it as well. I’m excited for the future of these things

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
About a year or so ago i got really obsessed with the concept of having a kayak and tried to channel it constantly, until i realized I was probably just going to take it out a couple times and get bored, so I bought one of those little inflatable 2-person ones which was way cheaper and I could collapse it very easily if it turned out I wasnt actually that obsessed with having a kayak. Smart choice. It was real fun the two times in the last year i took it out!!! Anyways its been sitting around in the garage for a while and I think it has a little tiny hole in it somewhere. Is there any way to fix this or am I just totally boned ???

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It should have come with a patch kit. Assuming it's lost, you can buy a patch kit at any outdoors store or on Amazon.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

PokeJoe posted:

Great question, the Go Paddling app kicks rear end.

https://paddling.com/paddle/go-paddling-app

Of course!

Thanks for the link. Received an inflatable kayak as a wedding gift and took it out on our honey moon, but it's been stored ever since. Website shows plenty of places nearby worth a day trip.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ended up just buying a rigid kayak

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

still live in an apartment, still have and use my inflatables

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Bought a kokopelli nirvana. Tis quite spinny but fun.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

checking in to say I got an Intex K2 Explorer like op and have taken it out once so far. the portability is obviously a great advantage -- this can be carried a mile easily.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

how does one go about getting a bigass truck innertube?

I want to float down small sections of the local rivers with the child and I consider innertubes to be the traditional way to go about that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If you want the real deal you can buy replacement inner tubes at harbor freight sometimes, or there's always whatever website has them in stock. Theres plenty of swim-recreation based inner tubes available though that might be cheaper or have added features like handles and cup holders which might be more useful to you.

Final option: eBay should absolutely have rear end sized inner tubes for real tires/butts

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Does anyone have a recommendation for an electric paddleboard pump?
I am not a fan of spending 10 minutes inflating each board for the family.

I bought an inflatable dock, and it came with a free chinese "inflator" but it basically can pump to 3 PSI, and then you get to finish it off with hand pump - better than nothing, but not worth the effort as it is a 600W 120v pump. Carrying a spare car battery and a 1000w inverter gets old fast, especially since you have to finish the pumping anyways.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I use the duel inflater by Ryobi. I use the high volume side, then the high pressure side to finish it off. If you are already in a tool ecosystem, then it might be the best price/portability option.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't have one but I've been eyeing up the power tool style ones like the mentioned Ryobi. All the usual suspects (Milwaukee, Makita, etc) have some sort of air blower that takes their battery these days and they seem pretty ok if you already have the associated real tools. For now I still hand pump but I admit it gets old fast if you're doing it a bunch.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PokeJoe posted:

For now I still hand pump but I admit it gets old fast if you're doing it a bunch.
I got the same Intex as you. I also picked up an airhead brand bellows foot pump and that has made it quicker and easier vs by hand, 5/5.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 11, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's the drop stitch boat that really makes me sweat :v:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PokeJoe posted:

It's the drop stitch boat that really makes me sweat :v:

I'm working my way up... only took it out 3x so far :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I still use my Intex! You don't need to "upgrade" if it suits your needs. It just depends on where I'm going/what I'm doing. The drop stitch is longer/bigger/can be sailed but it takes up way more space and can't be hauled around in a single backpack. It's also more tippable so I actually prefer the Intex for going for a leisurely paddle or just dicking around a little lake

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

It is so awesome how easy it is to carry, esp if someone can just lug the boat and someone else the other gear. I imagine if I had a rigid kayak I would still keep an inflatable, cause it would be way easier to carry it a mile on rough terrain than a hardbody.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

RodShaft posted:

I use the duel inflater by Ryobi. I use the high volume side, then the high pressure side to finish it off. If you are already in a tool ecosystem, then it might be the best price/portability option.

How does the high pressure side connect to a paddleboard? Do you have a Schrader valve -> paddle board adapter?

ah its probably something like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T5245M...uroad01-20&th=1

Oof, from some random youtube, it took 34 minutes with the dual dewalt inflator.
Guess I will have to watch other youtubes and see if one can be down to a few minutes.
e:
looks like there are plenty at around $100 US
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q2S57PG?th=1

That seem to be ok, youtube guy took 7 minutes to pump up his. They are the same as the ryobi inflator but auto switch between the two so you don't have to move the hoses.

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 11, 2023

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

blindjoe posted:

How does the high pressure side connect to a paddleboard? Do you have a Schrader valve -> paddle board adapter?

ah its probably something like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T5245M...uroad01-20&th=1

Oof, from some random youtube, it took 34 minutes with the dual dewalt inflator.
Guess I will have to watch other youtubes and see if one can be down to a few minutes.
e:
looks like there are plenty at around $100 US
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q2S57PG?th=1

That seem to be ok, youtube guy took 7 minutes to pump up his. They are the same as the ryobi inflator but auto switch between the two so you don't have to move the hoses.

Yeah I just got an adapter off AliExpress. It does not take 34 minutes so I don't know what that guy was doing wrong. Did he inflate using only the high pressure side? I usually fill the sides and the drop stitched bottom with the high volume, then set the high pressure and put together the oars and stuff while it does its thing. I could time myself if I remember next time I'm out. I'm not here to sell anyone on it, just throwing out a suggestion. It works great for me because it can still be used for tires and other things. I wouldn't have dropped money on a single purpose inflater. I would have just suffered through pumping.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I've also got a sea eagle drop stich tandem with a sail kit:

How do you like the sail kit? I'm thinking of ordering one for a Sea Eagle Fasttrack. There's so many options on their website.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It kicks rear end! The sail is not from sea eagle, it's from sailboatstogo.com

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

It kicks rear end! The sail is not from sea eagle, it's from sailboatstogo.com

What options did you get?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think the options have changed a bit since I bought it but I got the kit that the site recommended for my razorlite. It looks very similar to the "any sail kit" but the guy who runs the place is real nice and sent me some free straps when I had some questions for him since the kayak I bought had some new model updates. If you're unsure of what to fit on a particular boat just email him, he will help you better than I can.

https://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/product/6004

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I think the options have changed a bit since I bought it but I got the kit that the site recommended for my razorlite. It looks very similar to the "any sail kit" but the guy who runs the place is real nice and sent me some free straps when I had some questions for him since the kayak I bought had some new model updates. If you're unsure of what to fit on a particular boat just email him, he will help you better than I can.

https://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/product/6004

How do you find the outriggers? Have you run much without them?

Is it possible to reef the sail at all?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Outriggers are on the website somewhere and reefing my particular sail is not possible. The razorlite is so tippy that running without the outriggers is probably impossible as well. I feel I may have seen an "asian" style kayak sail that was reefable somewhere but i don't recall where

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Outriggers are on the website somewhere and reefing my particular sail is not possible. The razorlite is so tippy that running without the outriggers is probably impossible as well. I feel I may have seen an "asian" style kayak sail that was reefable somewhere but i don't recall where

Cool. I suppose the fasttrack might be able to do without the outriggers.

How do you find beating upwind? I imagine you can't really hike out much on an inflatable kayak.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's possible, which puts it a step above every other kayak sail I've seen. But it's still sailing upwind :v:

It's fun and works like a sailboat for sure though, every once in a while I catch the wind just right and it's nice

e: it's absolutely too burdensome to hike any real distance with the boat and sail together. i use my other smaller kayak if im gonna hike somewhere

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 12, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

It's possible, which puts it a step above every other kayak sail I've seen. But it's still sailing upwind :v:

It's fun and works like a sailboat for sure though, every once in a while I catch the wind just right and it's nice

e: it's absolutely too burdensome to hike any real distance with the boat and sail together. i use my other smaller kayak if im gonna hike somewhere

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiking_(sailing) in case there's some confusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

:doh:

this is the packable thread after all :v:

The razorlite has drop-stitched rigid sides so I've hiked out a bit and it's fine but I also rely on the outrigger getting submerged on the downwind side to help me out