Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
You guys like to fish to the XTREMEEEE apparently. I like to sit on a dock with a 6pack and toss some nightcrawlers. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Charliegrs posted:

You guys like to fish to the XTREMEEEE apparently. I like to sit on a dock with a 6pack and toss some nightcrawlers. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Charliegrs, I am counting the days until I can roll up to the river, unfold my chair, park my cooler, and get my loving toes in the sand. It is heaven on earth.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

How to dress for kayaking guide

I found that guide fairly helpful as it’s more than the simple rule of thumb of “dress for the water”

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 17, 2024

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone try drone fishing with one of the cheaper drones? Like a DJI mini. Seems like a fun way to do shore fishing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
To scout for fish or remotely catch them?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

To scout for fish or remotely catch them?

You use it to drop the bait and line that goes to a rod/reel.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
LOOK I WENT TO THIS TINY POND IN A PARK AND THERE ACTUALLY ARE FISH IN THEM HELL YEAH

found in like 18" of water next to some brush and sticks n light vegetation and got em with a 13' pole, the cut off end of a cigar peg float, a little sabiki hook and a crappie nibble dough bait (I guess they do work)

dude those black widow poles kick rear end, the one I got is rated medium but the last 2' of it was going for a ride with that little bluegill lol

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

Anyone try drone fishing with one of the cheaper drones? Like a DJI mini. Seems like a fun way to do shore fishing

I'm probably going to get a remote dropper rig for my mini 2 to screw around with. Would be cool forward fishing from the lakefront in Chicago or the beach in FL

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm probably going to get a remote dropper rig for my mini 2 to screw around with. Would be cool forward fishing from the lakefront in Chicago or the beach in FL

I saw this guy use these little hook thingies but I wonder how they would handle the wind:

https://youtu.be/thHGe44wB6A?si=Mpy0EDourAFN3LMc

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I haven't been fishing since I moved, since most of the tackle I have was for chasing stocked trout, and none of the closest lakes stock trout. (Although one is apparently starting to again after 40 years -- I found news of a single plant back in December but nothing since.) However, one of the lakes claims they have the only population of white bass in California, while also having largemouth/smallmouth, channel catfish, and crappie. White bass don't look much bigger than trout but are maybe harder fighting? Seems like maybe I want a bit sturdier setup, perhaps a medium rod. I'm overwhelmed by the vast amount of bass tackle. From this thread, it seems like maybe my best bet is dragging Ned rigs around weed beds, and jerkbaits like the Vision 110 above? I've also got plenty of spoons and a few small spinners, maybe 1/8oz.

I think I want to buy a medium rod setup anyway. When I started up a few years ago, I told somebody I wanted to go for catfish, and I got sold a 7' medium heavy Ugly Stik, that I since added one of the Okuma baitfeeder reels to. But I almost feel like that's too beefy for anything I'm going to encounter in relatively high-pressured inland freshwater lakes, as I've struggled to catch anything with it ever since. I almost feel like some of this is sold off of what's appropriate back in the Midwest or the Great Lakes, especially buying from a chain store like Bass Pro. One might hook into a very hefty striper or a sturgeon in the California Delta, but I've never heard of anything like the 50-100lb giant catfish I hear about from the midwest. The good news is I feel pretty confident I can use it as a basic surf-fishing rod now that I live closer to the coast, before having to go out and buy a 10-12' big boy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Found a local pond that had some big fish in it. At first we couldn't tell what they were cuz the water was a bit murky and they were super spooky so we just saw big blobs. After trying tons of different lures with no reaction whatsoever I figured they might be carp, so we went back a few days later with some bread on a hook and....

Grass Carp

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

istewart posted:

I'm overwhelmed by the vast amount of bass tackle.

When you say "spinners", do you mean an online spinner or a spinnerbait?

Around the time that bass season opens (late May) I have the best luck with spinnerbaits or buzzbaits. Just haul a chartreuse spinnerbait in front of their fat stupid face until they get pissed off

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I took my micro tenkara out today and found some pretty active bluegills. It worked really well. I was wearing my 4 month old kid in a chest carrier the whole time, which was one thing I had in mind when putting this whole setup together. I think anything more than 12' of line would be difficult, or I'd at least need a longer net.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

titties posted:

When you say "spinners", do you mean an online spinner or a spinnerbait?

Around the time that bass season opens (late May) I have the best luck with spinnerbaits or buzzbaits. Just haul a chartreuse spinnerbait in front of their fat stupid face until they get pissed off

I presume you mean inline spinners? I have a few of those in smaller sizes.

Are you talking about the jig heads with the attached spinners? Like this?

I haven't tried those at all. I picked up some Ned rig stuff for bass and some Trout Magnets for panfish and any remaining trout, we'll see how that goes in the local lake.

titties
May 10, 2012

istewart posted:

I presume you mean inline spinners? I have a few of those in smaller sizes.

Are you talking about the jig heads with the attached spinners?

Yeah, i meant inline. Autocorrect'd.

And no, not exactly the jig heads. Maybe you know them as wire baits? A stiff wire offsets the jig from the blade, like these: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/spinnerbaits.html

Really good for bass

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I bought a spinning reel after using spincasters my whole life and I feel like everyone is playing a prank on me by saying how great they are. If I even look at it wrong all the line pops off and manages to get tangled around. It came with the line already on so anytime it loses tension it just goes sproing in little tangled circles. Would putting fresh line on it help?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

DamnitGannet posted:

I bought a spinning reel after using spincasters my whole life and I feel like everyone is playing a prank on me by saying how great they are. If I even look at it wrong all the line pops off and manages to get tangled around. It came with the line already on so anytime it loses tension it just goes sproing in little tangled circles. Would putting fresh line on it help?

yep, that's either poo poo line or someone spooled it on backwards. when buying a reel always put fresh line on.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I went to a local park that has a few ponds to check out.

tried the back widow 13' cane pole with a jig (1/16 oz I think) and a spinner and frame thing from a beetle spin, with a blue body chartreuse tail curly tail thing on it.

I would otherwise say that there are no freshwater fish in this entire state based on how many times I've been skunked but today I caught a little bluegill, a white crappie and missed the hookset on another crappie I think.

I kinda just held the pole taut and walked the perimeter of the pond with the pole held out, so it was kinda like trolling with the lure.
cool to see fish hit it and then turn to dive from the surface!

[timg][/timg]

sorry bro. I feel a little bad.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DamnitGannet posted:

That line has probably been on there for a while. When that happens it'll get a "memory". Braided line doesn't do that. Also "good" line takes longer to get that too.

Also keep in mind you should try and spool it on there tight and there will be a bit of a learning curve with a new reel type.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

DamnitGannet posted:

Does the reel have an anti-reverse switch? Towards the back, on the bottom? If that switch is present and you can turn the handle both ways and make the reel spin either way, then the switch needs to be flipped. I had forgotten these were even a thing until I pulled one of my reels out of storage and realized it had one.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

DamnitGannet posted:

As others said, it's probably old line that has memory. Fresh line SHOULD help. However, be sure to look at a few videos to make sure you're not respooling backwards. I recently tried out all fluro on my spinner and must have put it on backwards cause it would spring off as soon as I opened the bail. I replaced it with braid and have no issues.

Finally got my first fish of the year after being skunked the last 5 times out:

A dink but the meatball was happy to have one

titties
May 10, 2012

Tomorrow is the trout season opener in my area and I'm going to fish in the local trout derby. Fishing starts at the stroke of midnight and I'm going to spend 2 days sleeping in my truck and not catching fish. Wish me luck.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Definitely spool the reel correctly and with fresh line. Even the best plastic line is going to have some kind of memory, though. You can tie the end of my line off to a fence (or whatever) where it's connected to a swivel, walk until you've got the desired amount of line out (50ft? 100ft?), point the rod at the fence (so you're not putting tension on the rod) and stretch the line a bit. Not anywhere close to breaking, but enough to let it try to "forget" its twist and work some of that out. Then reel in while walking back to the fence, keeping moderate tension on the line as you go. The swivel theoretically lets the line move freely so as not to twist as much, and your line gets evenly spooled on to your reel. You can do this the day of or the day before you go fishing. Or not at all, I don't care.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I tried getting the boat on the water last week but it had been on the trailer for so long it was stuck to the plastic runners. Got the motor going and tried to drive it off the trailer but that didn't work either. As I was flushing the motor I noticed the tell tale wasn't working (it was definitely working earlier when I was testing the motor in the driveway) so I guess it's ingested some poo poo or maybe the pump has an airlock from all the bubbles when I was trying to reverse off the trailer.

I finally got around to lifting it off the trailer a little with a jack and spraying some lubricant on the hull and runners, I'm pretty confident it'll come off next time I take it to the ramp. There's still the issue with the tell tale though so I'm not sure I should be getting it on the water until that's fixed. I've messaged the guy selling it to see what he thinks.

The motor starts heaps better when you pump the lines full of fuel. 10 squeezes on the in-line bulb and it started first time I turned the key.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

got this lil dude on the smallest tackle I could put together atm

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Sarah Cenia posted:

got this lil dude on the smallest tackle I could put together atm

That is a pretty fishy.