Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Are those fishing phone apps worth the money?

No, not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I dunno, I have fishbrain and it's useful for me to see how popular bodies of water are and what species are most prevalent. Big grain of salt with the reporting but since I do a lot of fishing around the country it's nice to be able to get some idea about whether I'm going to waste my time somewhere.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I dropped a month when I went on vacation to south Florida so I could get relatively exact locations for shoreline catches, that was helpful given I didn’t know where to go otherwise.

For most use cases though… no. Also that was a few years ago and I’m sure the app has been given a few coats of poo poo-paint since then

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I use fishangler and fishing points, both free.

Fishangler has been helpful for finding water i didn't know about, and has a social media feed where users post what they're catching, where, and on what gear.

Fishing points i mostly use to try to predict the bite and conditions.

They are both fine at the $0 price point but i would gladly never use either before i paid them any money.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I pay for a subscription for an app called Fishranger which probably won't work in the US but it compiles a bunch of different weather info into a pretty nifty format.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
my only this year is to catch a meal's worth of catfish or something from the bank

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I believe that's known as "a mess" of catfish .

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.facebook.com/reel/754177640074899

Dude went from "oh poo poo" to "OH gently caress" :v:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
A big ole warm front came through a couple days ago, so I decided to spend the afternoon bank fishing around the points of some inlets

I absolutely destroyed bass and somehow a crappie with a big rear end rattletrap

Why did you hit that, crappie

It's half the size of you

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

A big ole warm front came through a couple days ago, so I decided to spend the afternoon bank fishing around the points of some inlets

I absolutely destroyed bass and somehow a crappie with a big rear end rattletrap

Why did you hit that, crappie

It's half the size of you

i once caught a giant crappie who attempted to eat a 5" senko

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I got an ugly stik dock runner and a 14' cane pole
time 2 attack some creeks

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

I got an ugly stik dock runner and a 14' cane pole
time 2 attack some creeks

yessssss another one joins the flock

Dockrunner Uber alles

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Also: it was way too cold to throw on the waders today

Did it anyway

My balls have receded and a carp hit me in the chest

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I now understand the pleasures of a high quality travel rod. Its pretty incredible how conveniently you can stow a small bfs setup while traveling with the family or even flying.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
went to a city park with the cane pole to test it out on a little lake

shoutout to the nice gentleman who came up and informed me that he is a master flathead catfish tournament angler who also is apparently fond of making backyard fireworks out of car batteries???

anyway, when he saw the cane pole, "duuuuuude that poo poo is like a musket for fishing!!!".

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

i hooked a nice sized striped bass and it did not appreciate my enthusiasm

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
drat.
it ran away with your dock runner...

what kinda rig were you using?
I just got a Shimano sienna 500 on clearance for mine and it's p cool so far.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Just a standard bottom rig with an ounce of weight and a chunk of squid.

I was working it pretty well right up until the dang thing jumped away from the dock mid pull. Got it close enough I was starting to walk it down the dock to land it

It was approximately the size of my leg, I'd have retired the rod after that anyway. thank goodness they're only 15 dollars! This one put up with my bullshit for a year, and that's pretty dang good considering how many 5lb+ fish I caught (and sometimes ate)

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Went ice fishing today in -1 Celsius weather. It started nice but when we packed up the wind was blasting freezing rain into our faces. We even caught some fish!

Anyway, does anyone have a brand of powered filleting knives that they like? I'd like to get a set for my buddy as a thank you for being the one who brings all the gear and the truck/boat/tent and does the research into where to go etc.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fished our first tournament this past weekend, the Cuda Bowl in Sugarloaf Key.

https://www.cudabowl.com/

Fishing for Barracuda entails a florescent red or green rubber tube with a steel leader though it and a hook at the end of it. Weird I know, but it works well. Thing is you have to reel it in VERY fast, as fast as you can to trigger their feeding response, so imagine doing that for eight hours straight two days in a row. It gets very tiring, and my shoulder is still a bit sore.

Unfortunately fishing involves a lot of luck and we didn't have any of it. I hooked a few very large Cudas and failed to bring them in, had one right at the boat with a hand on the leader which is technically a caught fish but it needs to be measured for the tournament. My son hooked a few large ones as well that could have won us the biggest fish trophy, but we only managed to pull in a few just over the minimum length of 30 inches. Each day each angler has five slots for the best total inches for two days and also there is a biggest fish prize of course.

Winner of the overall did it on fly shockingly enough (has never happened before) at 719 inches total, and he also caught the biggest fish at 52 inches.

Had lots of fun and can't wait to do it next year, we really want to try to win this thing.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
https://imgur.com/gallery/MtXsRn3

Nice little 4lb swamp shark I yoinked out of my perch spot on the weekend. Bastard cracked my rod on the way up and out so next trip out is probably going to be a spool only affair.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
I've been foaming at the mouth to get out and fish. Finally looks like some spring ish weather here in KC this week, probably going to come down with a bad case of gently caress-its Thurs or Fri and hit the water.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
My local pond is finally warming up. After averaging about 1 fish every 3 weeks since October, I finally hit on the right combination of lure and active fish and raked in a half dozen in half an hour yesterday afternoon. I suspect the fish are hanging out near the emerging vegetation but I'm no fishologist. Either way I hit a spot with my jerkbait and pulled in a little dink. As I was unhooking it a kid walked up and started asking me questions and checking out the fish. He had a ratty zebco with bobber and tiny chunk of worm and wasn't having any luck. I showed him out to lip a bass and let him toss it back in the water. He started fishing next to me and I proceeded to pull in two more fish on the next two casts. Pretty sure the kid thought I was some kind of wizard. I would have let him cast my reel but handing a baitcaster to an unknown 9 year old seems like a bad idea. I also would have just given him the lure that was working and used it as an excuse to buy a replacement and maybe 2 or 3 new ones but it was a $20 megabass and probably would have ended up in a tree before I left the parking lot, sorry kid. When I hooked up on fish #6 I gave him the rod to fight it in. That one turned out to be a large crappie, which he was excited about. Fun times.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

seeing a bunch of small male bass guarding beds, i can literally sight fish them. haven't seen any females.

experimenting with throwing different stuff at them and i'm having a weird amount of success just throwing a ned rig at the bed and hopping it - probably caught five bass in the last couple of days doing this. so i went to the tackle shop today and got some nail weights and #2 neko rig hooks to make tiny child rigs, which are basically weedless ned rigs. you texas rig the neko hook in the back side of the worm and then you put the nail in the wider front. superglue is suggested for the nail - i went without and lost two weights quickly, you want the glue.

i try all kinds of baits that goes into the loser pile but this was an immediate winner. just dragging along the weedline i caught four bass in about twenty minutes before getting rained out. keeping this in the kit as a hyper finesse option.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son caught this today in our local pond with a TRD Craw on a ned rig.

Been doing lots of sight fishing on nests in the canals too, lots of success with ned rigs and the craw or short worm

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah neds are killer. that's a great bass.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

What bass? Is it in that 5 gallon bucket the kid is holding?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Southern Cassowary posted:

seeing a bunch of small male bass guarding beds, i can literally sight fish them. haven't seen any females.

experimenting with throwing different stuff at them and i'm having a weird amount of success just throwing a ned rig at the bed and hopping it - probably caught five bass in the last couple of days doing this. so i went to the tackle shop today and got some nail weights and #2 neko rig hooks to make tiny child rigs, which are basically weedless ned rigs. you texas rig the neko hook in the back side of the worm and then you put the nail in the wider front. superglue is suggested for the nail - i went without and lost two weights quickly, you want the glue.

i try all kinds of baits that goes into the loser pile but this was an immediate winner. just dragging along the weedline i caught four bass in about twenty minutes before getting rained out. keeping this in the kit as a hyper finesse option.

Catching those guards lets their nests get demolished by bluegills so maybe it’s not the best.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The only spawning fish I have actively fished for is crappie. I have always found bass fishermen to often love bass fishing on beds but also tearing up when seeing bass kept for consumption. Seemed .... problematic.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Crab Dad posted:

Catching those guards lets their nests get demolished by bluegills so maybe it’s not the best.

this is one of the fishing ethical issues that i looked to academic research on in the past because it's kind of a gray area with a lot of strong opinions

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FA204 < tl;dr catch and release fishing of florida bass on beds might affect breeding at the individual nest level but doesn't have a measurable population impact. based on this i am cool with bed fishing as long as it's catch and release and you're getting the male back in the water quickly, but i probably wouldn't do it in a weigh station tournament.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If I noticed the Bass beds being pressured by other fish I wouldn't try to catch them. The canals we fish are mostly Bass, Tilapia and a few Gar here and there. Never seen or caught a bluegill or any other kind of panfish.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If I noticed the Bass beds being pressured by other fish I wouldn't try to catch them. The canals we fish are mostly Bass, Tilapia and a few Gar here and there. Never seen or caught a bluegill or any other kind of panfish.

Bluegill live anywhere there are bass. Kind of impossible for a body of water you describe to not have them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah they are borderline symbiotic. Some amazing science in how they balance each other out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah they are borderline symbiotic. Some amazing science in how they balance each other out.

Bluegill are basically water cockroaches. If the body of water is livable, they will exist. Any new body of water will immediately get them due to birds.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sickening posted:

Bluegill are basically water cockroaches. If the body of water is livable, they will exist. Any new body of water will immediately get them due to birds.

In bodies of water with no bass blue gills will reproduce rapidly but become stunted in just a few generations. When blue gills are exposed to bass hormones and general predations they begin to grow larger with the end result they become too big to swallow easily. Also they heavily predate bass nests when present. Cool stuff. So always toss in some bass to get bigger blue gills.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I don't know about hormones but we see a similar effect with perch here. In areas where nothing eats them they stunt out and you end up with a large population of very small mature fish. I guess the constant shortage of food keeps them small. Once predators are introduced a lot of the small ones get eaten and the survivors are able to find enough food to grow big enough avoid being predated upon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sickening posted:

Bluegill live anywhere there are bass. Kind of impossible for a body of water you describe to not have them.

You sure about that? I'm in south Florida with lots of invasive species so it's a little different down here. Not saying I never see them or catch them at all in the area because I do, but in this particular canal, and also the pond in our neighborhood where I took that picture has virtually no bluegill. I've been fishing and cast netting this pond for over a decade and have never seen or caught one. Sure I guess there could be some but if so the numbers are so small they aren't even noticed which is quite different from some other ponds or lakes that do have them, it's quite obvious. The only thing I've seen in this pond are Tilapia which are the dominating species, then Bass, all kinds of Cichlids, and a few Gar. And of course the minnows like Mosquito fish and even some multi colored Molly. Along with turtles, some Cormorant, Egrets and even some Otters but have never seen a Bluegill lol :shrug:

[e] when my son was young we would cast net the pond for molly and cichlids for his fish tank, never got a bluegill in the net. Cichlids are super aggressive and could be the reason we don't ever see or catch any bluegill.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 4, 2024

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
On the one hand, I got skunked for the 4th time in a row, lost 3 lures and a decent amount of line to what I think is the same submerged tree, and could only sit there and watched as fish jumped and splashed all around me.

On the other hand, it was a nice day out, I managed to clean up a bunch of tangled fishing line on the bank, and I got to see a cute turtle, so at least it wasn't a day wasted! Something something fishing not catching. Also, looking back at my last post I got skunked 4 times in a row before catching anything back then too, so maybe next time will be my lucky break.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
It's nice enough to be pond feeding time so once again if any of y'all wanna catch a bunch of Bluegill and/or Bullheads on easy mode I live in northwest Indiana and they should be all fat and dumb soon. Catch and Release, maybe Bass? Bluegill and Bullheads that just LOVE eating.

Probably be a couple of weeks til I get a nice swarm of them, depending on how many remember last years feeding. Most fish memories top out around 6 months so ???

Check my posts for a map? I think I posted a map at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Visibility was bad and first feeding of the year so not great results but not bad.

Couple of 6" Bluegill, a few 3-4" Bluegill, and one 6"ish Bullhead. And I think the weedbed near where I feed might have nesting Bass. There were encouraging ripples.