Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jammyozzy posted:

I like Conti tubes well enough, they seem pretty reliable and the Presta ones have removable valve cores which are useful to steal for blocked tubeless valves.

Contis valves aren't as long as q-tubes long valves and don't seem to be available longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Safety Dance posted:

If I have 700x48 tires, am I asking for trouble using a 700x28-35 tube?

Yes. I'm running 29x2 tubes. Rather go slightly oversized than undersized

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CopperHound posted:

I personally like one size smaller better than one size bigger, but I would probably call 35 two sizes smaller than 48.

On 48 particularly I had a lot of flat issues due to rub running 45mm tubes. Switched to 2.0 and they went away.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bicievino posted:

Also I'd love to hear a good argument for running tires wider than say... 32mm with tubes

Chukkers don't do tubeless.

Also, I don't really want to tour tubeless nor have to mount tubeless while assembling the bike in my lovely motel room after a flight. (700x48s won't fit in my box inflated).

My non-touring bike is going tubesless with cliffhangers.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 3, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

Seems like it would be 50/50 depending on the goal of the tour.

Considering how many times Francis/James/Lawrence flatted on their tour from San Diego to Seattle, I think they should have gone tubeless. They insist that tubeless wouldn't have been worth it in the desert, but I kinda think it would have been as long as one of them carried a shop bottle of Orange Seal. As always, it's best to check set-ups for weird issues before a big tour/ride. I'm sure there are easy to mount big tire combos. You can always use something like a KOM Cycling syringe to suck sealant out of a tire for travel, then deflate the tire. Also I think it's a pretty low number of people who tour on tires that wide in general?

Everyone should tour on 48s if they have the clearance.

All of that sounds much more of a pain in the rear end than tubes. You can run something like shikoros or put orange seal in your tubes for flat resistance, and it will be less of a pain in the rear end for touring IMHO.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CopperHound posted:

I keep seeing people saying this, but I am yet to see any evidence of it being effective.

Works for me. I'm running basically compass thin Soma Shikoros.
I have absolutely had it work, pull out a goathead, hisses for a second and stops. It is absolutely not as effective as real tubeless, but it is better than nothing.
For everything but touring (or infrequent use bikes), I'm on the tubeless train, but there still is a place for tubes particularly in touring.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 4, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Are you talking about the bolts at the head of the seat or at the collar?
It looks like the bolts in the head failed. I hope you have bought a 2 bolt post them.

The second bit sounds like the post is slipping in the frames. Assuming the last seatpost was fine, I would guess there is a defect in the new seatpost, it is too narrow. This happens. It should be a free return. Have them stick the new one in calipers in multiple places (a seatpost can be narrow in just a few places).
You should not have to overtighten the seat collar, it can damage things. Also don't ride with a slipping most it can damage the frame.

Edit: try grease first, but if it slips, chuck it.
Easy way to see if it slips, but a bit of electrial tape where the post meets the frame. If it bunches up, at all, you have a slipping post.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Do you still have your old post? Loosen the seatpost collar bolt, so that you can slide in your old post easily.
Count the number of full turns it takes to get it tight enough that you can't push down the seat by hand.
Back out the same number of turns.
Swap in the new seat post. Tighten the same turns again. If the new one is super loose, it's undersized. Which is common enough with cheap carbon posts, but usually not aluminum.

If this is the behavior you're seeing, you should def bring the old post to the shop to prove your point.

You could also obviate with a caliper by measuring to see if the new post is actually 27.2. There are 27.0 and 26.8 posts, but it's likely they'd be marked.
Velo Orange had a run of undersized AL posts. I was only on part of the post. I don't think it is that uncommon among cheaper posts. It really just takes a very small imperfection to cause issues.
Also, I would suggest that the better way to check tightness is to try to twist rather than push down. I don't think you can really simulate the forces of sitting on a seat and riding it by pressing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Get some nice cloth rim tape.
Also, if you're running near the largest size tire the tube can support, go one size up if the rim tape doesn't solve it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

Why do you need 36 spokes

I'm coming to visit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mauser posted:

Brand new gravelking plus got slashed open by some glass in the alley on my second ride 5 ft from my gate and just dumped all the sealant out. They sealed up fine after I ran some more sealant in there and stabilized at around 30 psi so I went for a ride.

Filled them up with sealant again and up to 60 psi and it's holding for now. Going to let it sit overnight, but goddamn am I pissed that it happened in front of the angry-honks-at-cyclists-and-old-ladies-crossing-in-crosswalks neighbor

Get sealant on their car on accident.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

It took an hour and a lot of swearing but I got my (mechanical) disc brakes all dialed in the other day. It's nice to be able to stop on command again :v:

Anyone else in here with discs, how often do you end up loving around with those things because they loosened/got squeaky/whatever else?

Almost never. Occasionally I have to adjust a bit for pad wear, which takes maybe 5 minutes? BB7s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I've never had an issue adjusting BB7s. I even have to remove them to fit them in the S&S box.
They're fine unless you don't have a torx bit or a warped/bent rotor.

Maybe this is just a decade of adjusting parallelogram shimano v-brakes, but they're easy. It isn't like they're loving cantis or something. I do find them a bit more annoying than some to actually mount new pads in, but that's it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Does Sram care about the provenance of their levers? 'Cause I got all sorts of brakes that get unloaded at the bike coop.

SRAM doesn't seem to ask questions about broken stuff.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Why would you rebuild when you can get a new one?
Rebuilding is for Shimano or campy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

If it is square taper, octalink, or 24mm, there is no reason to buy anything better than a shimano sealed bearing BB, which should be like $30.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

Color coordination of a largely obscured component yo.
I'm totally replacing the 24mm BB that came with my crank with a purple white industries BB when I wear this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Motherfucker.

Phil's counting his money now, because if I can't get like 4-5 years out of a $30 BB, his expensive BB starts making more sense.

There are still some out there online with sr. google.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 21, 2020