Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TobinHatesYou posted:

3) You want to keep using existing non tubeless-ready wheels/rims for the time being.

*looks forlornly at my blue anodized Mavic Open Pros*

If I ever have a problem with them, though, an alloy TLR rim with 36 spoke holes would be my next upgrade, if those exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Why do you need 36 spokes

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Levitate posted:

To support the burden of how bad the megathread OP is

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm at a strange crossroad.

Do I try to resurrect the bent rim and get it back in action or begin to modernize the roadie now, leaving it out of commission...

I think I'll try to salvage the rim simply for practice, but begin to price out the alternative as a fall project.

I know this thread is thinking I'm a dumbass, but I'm committed to this learning process. I find this fascinating.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Levitate posted:

36 spokes isn't necessary for every application, but if you're not worried about being fast and you might load your bike with 300 lbs or jump it more than a foot off the ground, you might as well go for it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Salt Fish posted:

36 spokes isn't necessary for every application, but if you're not worried about being fast and you might load your bike with 300 lbs or jump it more than a foot off the ground, you might as well go for it.

yes which is why I asked!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

At this point the only reasons not to run road tubeless are:

1) You don’t want to risk sealant staining work clothes if you commute by bike.
2) Your annual mileage is low.
3) You want to keep using existing non tubeless-ready wheels/rims for the time being.

i've got another reason: that poo poo's a pain in the rear end and i don't want to deal with it

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i've got another reason: that poo poo's a pain in the rear end and i don't want to deal with it

Take it to a shop for fitting

Top up with sealant every few months

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Flatting is a bigger pain in the rear end to me.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm at a strange crossroad.

Do I try to resurrect the bent rim and get it back in action or begin to modernize the roadie now, leaving it out of commission...

I think I'll try to salvage the rim simply for practice, but begin to price out the alternative as a fall project.

I know this thread is thinking I'm a dumbass, but I'm committed to this learning process. I find this fascinating.

Show us the rim because any significant uncontrolled “bending” to an alloy rim means you should trash it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lol imagine being this bad at bikes

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

setting up tubeless is indeed a pain in the goddamn rear end but the first time you pop your tire and it heals itself like magic you'll realize it was all worth it

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
So far my tubeless install has been a pain in the rear end because I was waiting forever for the parts to come in the mail, including an opened package that poo poo fell out of.

While putting one of the tires on I struggled to get it on the rim and managed to mess up the tape over one of the spokes and air is bleeding out of it ever so gently. I think at this point I just need to replace the messed up tape on that section. Anybody got recommendations on rim tape?

Edit: other tire went on a few days later with literally no effort and removing first one and putting it back on also took zero effort and I have no idea why it was such a pain the first try.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ill do my write-up tomorrow morning including posting pix because I just got home after I finished a days total of 170km on a hot as hell day including winning one of the sprints during this morning's group ride.

Now I'm gonna go drink a beer in the shower and attempt to not fall asleep while eating half a pizza.

Bikes are good.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Mauser posted:

So far my tubeless install has been a pain in the rear end because I was waiting forever for the parts to come in the mail, including an opened package that poo poo fell out of.

While putting one of the tires on I struggled to get it on the rim and managed to mess up the tape over one of the spokes and air is bleeding out of it ever so gently. I think at this point I just need to replace the messed up tape on that section. Anybody got recommendations on rim tape?

Edit: other tire went on a few days later with literally no effort and removing first one and putting it back on also took zero effort and I have no idea why it was such a pain the first try.

Some people in the thread have recommended powdercoating masking tape previously.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UCBIX1A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9CjpFb5GMV698

I've used it on my commuter and my mountain bike without issue. Two wraps plus a bit of tape and you're good to go.

Make sure the bead on the side of the tire that's already on the rim is in the valley of the rim. I found it helpful to crouch or kneel and press the rim into the floor and against my thighs.

And I'll probably try out the GP5ks in tubeless. Thanks for the recommendations.

Edit: Adding that I've used levers to remove and install tires and never damaged this tape.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 19, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Also when taping up rims, make sure to use enough tension that you're actually slightly stretching the tape.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

Some people in the thread have recommended powdercoating masking tape previously.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UCBIX1A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9CjpFb5GMV698

I've used it on my commuter and my mountain bike without issue. Two wraps plus a bit of tape and you're good to go.

Make sure the bead on the side of the tire that's already on the rim is in the valley of the rim. I found it helpful to crouch or kneel and press the rim into the floor and against my thighs.

And I'll probably try out the GP5ks in tubeless. Thanks for the recommendations.

Edit: Adding that I've used levers to remove and install tires and never damaged this tape.

Thanks. Gonna call the LBS tomorrow and see if they got anything on hand because I'm tired of this thing sitting in the basement, but otherwise might get that. Is gorilla tubeless tape a good option?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Levitate posted:

I'm coming to visit.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nm posted:

I'm coming to visit.

:discourse:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Levitate posted:

vintage road bikes should have 36 spokes, unless it's a 90s Allez in which case it needs carbon trispokes or Spinergys, for the "90s cat 4 guy" look

(and also because i'd want to reuse the hubs)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 19, 2020

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

TobinHatesYou posted:

Show us the rim because any significant uncontrolled “bending” to an alloy rim means you should trash it.

This is where the rim bound up.
Touching the right brake caliper, and up near the bottom bracket on the left stay.

Do you need it stripped down?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

No, that's enough to see, your rim is hosed.

Guess it's time to upgrade from 27" to 700c sooner rather than later. But you shouldn't just replace the rim on that hub.

The coolest thing you could do to this bike is buy a modern groupset, like, even 105, modern wheels, and only keep the frame.
Would get you a better bike and long term be cheaper than trying to bodge it together.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 19, 2020

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

bicievino posted:

No, that's enough to see, your rim is hosed.

Guess it's time to upgrade from 27" to 700c sooner rather than later. But you shouldn't just replace the rim on that hub.

The coolest thing you could do to this bike is buy a modern groupset, like, even 105, modern wheels, and only keep the frame.
Would get you a better bike and long term be cheaper than trying to bodge it together.

:fireman: Makes sense.

That's the original plan. I was hoping I'd get a few rides in with the original stuff and save up for a paycheck or two.
Thank you for the advice.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, those Miyata frames are excellent steel, probably just as good as anything you'd get noawadays from All-City or whoever else makes race-y steel-frame bikes these days. If you've already cold-set it to 130mm, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a modern group on.

(that said, you might want to get some help with this if you've already had some problems- just so you can start with something you're confident rides well before attempting maintenance)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I have a different roadie as well. The Miyata isn't my only bike.

I got the Miyata with the intent to learn this thing inside and out. Unfortunately I turned it inside out and learned the hard way to double check everything if I make an adjustment.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Mauser posted:

Thanks. Gonna call the LBS tomorrow and see if they got anything on hand because I'm tired of this thing sitting in the basement, but otherwise might get that. Is gorilla tubeless tape a good option?

I haven't used it but from people that have, and from my experience with other duct style tapes, they leave adhesive residue which is always a pain in the rear end to remove. May not be an issue unless you gently caress up and have to retape though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cannon_Fodder posted:

:fireman: Makes sense.

If you want to treat it as trash and not use it for any real riding, you can try to de-taco the wheel using extreme banging into the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlozmeTNim4&t=32s

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

kimbo305 posted:

If you want to treat it as trash and not use it for any real riding, you can try to de-taco the wheel using extreme banging into the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlozmeTNim4&t=32s

I was going to keep the rims as an exercise in just that. I wasn't going to bang it into the ground, rather use some boards and body weight to straighten.

https://youtu.be/i73vVq7t138

This dude was recommended offsite by a mechanic friend a few cities over despite being completely loving unbearable.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just installed a GP5k TL. It went on the wheel easily, I set the bead with a floor pump and the valve core installed, and it was airtight without any sealant. I think I’ve been blessed by the bike gods. Naturally this means I’ll probably run over a giant piece of metal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m putting my CS-HG700-11 (11-34) cassette back on my gravel bike, and there is play in the cassette. I googled the cassette and it’s designed to fit on 10 speed hubs and comes with a spacer for use on 11 speed hubs. However, Shimano’s site doesn’t list the spacer size and I didn’t remember this cassette needed a spacer so there isn’t one with the cassette in the ziploc storage bag.

I’m guessing that it would be 1.85mm I need since this is essentially a 10 speed cassette going on an 11 speed hub?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Yes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Those cassettes come with the spacer so dig around a bit more in your parts bin, it's probably at the bottom under one of those useless user manuals that's basically 'This is a bike part go online for more instructions!'

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

I haven't used it but from people that have, and from my experience with other duct style tapes, they leave adhesive residue which is always a pain in the rear end to remove. May not be an issue unless you gently caress up and have to retape though.

Thanks. I just ordered the masking tape off the internet and will get at it tonight or tomorrow whenever it arrives.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Those cassettes come with the spacer so dig around a bit more in your parts bin, it's probably at the bottom under one of those useless user manuals that's basically 'This is a bike part go online for more instructions!'

I found the manual online and it’s just important safety notices in 4 languages. Thank you Shimano, very cool.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't forget the page telling you that the cassette contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of California. Very important in case you decide to eat your cassette or grind it up into a powder and inhale it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Don't forget the page telling you that the cassette contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of California. Very important in case you decide to eat your cassette or grind it up into a powder and inhale it.

... in California :hurr:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is Gorilla tape legitimately as good/better than special tubeless rim tape? Or is it one of those "just pay for the special tape." It's not the price - I have a bunch of Gorilla tape lying around already and I don't want to wait for special tape. But the Gorilla tape has really thick adhesive, is that not going to be a mess?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

FogHelmut posted:

Is Gorilla tape legitimately as good/better than special tubeless rim tape? Or is it one of those "just pay for the special tape." It's not the price - I have a bunch of Gorilla tape lying around already and I don't want to wait for special tape. But the Gorilla tape has really thick adhesive, is that not going to be a mess?

It'll make a gigantic mess and be a pain in the rear end to change later. It works at sealing just fine though

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s a mess to clean up when you want to inevitably lay down new tape.

Just get some powder coating masking tape, it’s the same thing as tubeless tape for a fraction of the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Hxtape-Polyethylene-Terephthalate-Applications-inch-36yds-2/dp/B07D716PFJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

e.pilot posted:

It’s a mess to clean up when you want to inevitably lay down new tape.

Just get some powder coating masking tape, it’s the same thing as tubeless tape for a fraction of the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Hxtape-Polyethylene-Terephthalate-Applications-inch-36yds-2/dp/B07D716PFJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I'm reading now this stuff is exactly the same as Stan's - https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-Strapping-Tape-8896/dp/B00C0Z1Z5C/